Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 20:41   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From this point to Changanacherry is only about 25 kms and that road is generally quite OK (Not sure of the current conditions as I haven't travelled that way for a while now). From Changanacherry, SH11 takes you to Alleppey and as per TRRK's report that road is also in pretty good shape in spite of occasional water logging.
The roads in Kerala other than the NH47 are in very good condition when compared to the NH.

The SH11 has maybe 5 potholes altogether, but they are far in between and can be easily avoided.

Th route suggested by you via Changanassery is better for Alleppey.

The water logging is not there now unless it starts raining heavily here.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:20   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsnavy View Post
Hi Friends,

Will be driving from Bangalore to Alleppey next week and planning to take the NH7 / NH 47 route. Needed to know the current road conditions on this route? Any better and faster alternative to this route? Thanks in advance guys!

Regards
Rams
Shortest route will be NH47, but the fastest route will be NH7 ( longer by about 30kms ) then Kumaly, 14th mile (from here you have to take a left turn towards changanachery)changanachery - Alleppey. the Roads are in good shape from Dindugal. I have done this route last month.

From Changanachery, Taking NH 47 and NH 7 are same Distance Indeed.

Changanachery - Bangalore is 620KMs via NH 7.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:04   #1428
BHPian

Dear sbraj, trrk, Kala, Speed-Gladiator thanks for the update and the alternative routes. With your guidance and information, planning to go via Madurai / Didigul, Theni, Kambam, Changanachery and Alappuzha. Will post the road conditions after my return.
Regards,
Rams

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2010 at 12:14. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 30th July 2010, 15:18   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Dear sbraj, trrk, Kala, Speed-Gladiator thanks for the update and the alternative routes. With your guidance and information, planning to go via Madurai / Didigul, Theni, Kambam, Changanachery and Alappuzha. Will post the road conditions after my return.
Regards,
Rams
No need of going to Madhurai, you can take the deviation from NH7 at Dindigul itself ,that is a tricky thing to do. You have to be in the service road for about 3 - 4 kms before entering to the Theni Road. Yo have to follow the Kodaikkanal board for getting the correct road towards Theni. Other wise you will miss that road very easily. Make sure that you are taking NH 45 which comes after NH 209
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-map1.jpg  

Old 30th July 2010, 15:24   #1430
BHPian

Thanks guys for the info as there is a good chance of me driving down after the monsoons-want to up to the Capital??
I find the Kerala roads very narrow and if stuck behind trucks overtaking is a harrowing experience.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:35   #1431
BHPian

Thanks for the route map Speed Gladiator. Its really helpful but are you aware of any signboards indicating Theni near Dindigul on NH7??

Regards,
Rams
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:05   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the route map Speed Gladiator. Its really helpful but are you aware of any signboards indicating Theni near Dindigul on NH7??

Regards,
Rams
I was also closely watching for one, when I went last month. but could not find any, but you can see the kodaikanal board, just follow the same.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:25   #1433
BHPian

Can someone update me on the road conditions night driving to Calicut via gundulpet, kalpetta. How is the ghat section roads after the heavy rains?
Leaving tommorow evening, will ensure I get through the forest checkpost before 8p.m for sure.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:48   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Can someone update me on the road conditions night driving to Calicut via gundulpet, kalpetta. How is the ghat section roads after the heavy rains?
Leaving tommorow evening, will ensure I get through the forest checkpost before 8p.m for sure.
a friend of mine did this route last week.

mysore nanjangud is not great.
Kerala ghat roads have damage at the bends.few potholes here and there on the highways.you can do this trip in 7hrs max.

makesure you cross the checkpost on time.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:11   #1435
BHPian

Need route info from Bangalore to Telicherry/Thalassery

Hi all,

I am planning to drive down to Mahe, (near Thalassery) in a weeks time. Earlier used to take the route through Calicut.
I am aware about the new route which has been renovated which connects Thalassery through Virajpet.
Can somebody help me out with directions please?

Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 14:49   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
I am planning to drive down to Mahe, (near Thalassery) in a weeks time. Earlier used to take the route through Calicut.
I am aware about the new route which has been renovated which connects Thalassery through Virajpet.
Can somebody help me out with directions please?
See the Kannur thread.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:10   #1437
BHPian

Saw atleast three jeeps getting stuck due to potholes on NH 47 Palakad to Thrissur section today. I know that this national highway stops becoming one once it enters Kerala. But this section is very BAD!!! There was even a cluster of potholes extending to atleast 1 km!!!
I was on my Bullet. It was dark and raining heavily. It was like riding in a swamp, but my throttle monster managed to pull through!!!
Old 5th August 2010, 10:45   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Saw atleast three jeeps getting stuck due to potholes on NH 47 Palakad to Thrissur section today. I know that this national highway stops becoming one once it enters Kerala. But this section is very BAD!!! There was even a cluster of potholes extending to atleast 1 km!!!
I was on my Bullet. It was dark and raining heavily. It was like riding in a swamp, but my throttle monster managed to pull through!!!
Oh God! I'm nnightmaring on my Onam trip . Kuthiran is pathetic?
Old 5th August 2010, 10:54   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Especially the bridge just after Kuthiran (towards Palakkad) was pathetic one month back.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:13   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Especially the bridge just after Kuthiran (towards Palakkad) was pathetic one month back.
When was that bridge ever good?It has been the same way for the past some 10-15years,they tried using concrete on the bridge instead of traditional tar & metal and yet no results,so I guess you need to take it with a pinch of salt and accept the fact that the bridge is going to be the same for time immemorial!!Even the blind curve after the bridge(towards PLKD)has been traditionally bad(blessing in disguise as most vehicles are forced to drop speed because of the bad roads there)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks