Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 11:13   #1396
BHPian

Kozhikode does not share its boundaries with any state. Its only via Wynad which is covered.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:20   #1397
Senior - BHPian

While in the case of the other roads you can move to other parts of Kerala, in the case of Top Slip - Parambikulam you cannot do so, effectively it ends there.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:03   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Kozhikode does not share its boundaries with any state. Its only via Wynad which is covered.
Yeah you are right - my bad! I guess I got a bit carried away there..
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:21   #1399

Options for avoiding Walayar (to and from Kerala)?

Hi

I go to Kerala quite often from Bangalore. The Walayar check post is a nightmare (I was stuck at a standstill for almost 2 hours this morning from 5:30 to 7:30 going from Palakkad towards CBE).

Is there an alternate route that is not too time consuming? How about SH26 - CBE-PKD through Velamthavalam? How much more time is it compared to taking NH47 assuming there was no blockage at Walayar? The maps shows it is only 6 km more but how are the roads?

Thanks...
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:09   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uy663z View Post
Hi

I go to Kerala quite often from Bangalore. The Walayar check post is a nightmare (I was stuck at a standstill for almost 2 hours this morning from 5:30 to 7:30 going from Palakkad towards CBE).

Is there an alternate route that is not too time consuming? How about SH26 - CBE-PKD through Velamthavalam? How much more time is it compared to taking NH47 assuming there was no blockage at Walayar? The maps shows it is only 6 km more but how are the roads?

Thanks...
Velamthavalam route is very narrow, if you are stuck it will be even worst nightmare. Lot of trucks take this way, have tried it once but would not recommend it especially at night.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:45   #1401
BHPian

In the Bangalore - Mangalore route, after Uppinangadi, take laft to Puthoor - Vittala - Perla - Charkala - Kasargod.

For the route details and conditions, you can refer the earlier threads

Quote:
Kasargod
Adhur - Jalsoor
Mularia - Jalsoor
Panathoor-Talakaveri
Badiyadka - Perdala
Uppala - Manjeshwar
You can refer these threads-> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-kasargod.html

-> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ekal-trip.html

Quote:
Kannur

Virajpet - Iritty

Wayanad
Pandalur - Meppadi
Pandalur - Batheri
Gundlupet - Batheri
Thrishilery - Kakanakote
Thrishilery - Kutta
Refer the thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html

Please note that Virajpet - Irrity road is recently opened after 18months of closure. Still there are some work pending, but it is easily driveable

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 22nd July 2010 at 10:51.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:58   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Two months back, I traveled in a "Special bus" from Cochin to Bangalore. They took a right just before Walayar and joined back NH47 after L&T highway (?to avoid check posts)

The route was narrow but absolutely no traffic at about 12 in the midnight other than two-three Kerala bound private travels buses in opposite direction.

Similarly, this bus again skipped Hosur check post to reach Bangalore
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:29   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Marked all the roads seen in the map which lead to Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-roadstokerala.png  

Old 22nd July 2010, 12:06   #1404
BHPian

RajeshK: Yes, indeed helps for current road conditions and thanks for the info on the Kannur route, but also to know if people have taken such routes before. Are there restrictions/timings/check-posts/terrains/petrol stations/eating/rest-places/view-points/time-compared-to-traditional route/etc. Something more.

Clevermax: Thanks. However the markings on the map are not exhaustive e.g the Mannarkad-Anakkati route is not mentioned.

Lets leave all the NH normal routes. They are heavily used by people and its usually unaffected. e.g Has anyone used SH45 via Chittar Dam 1/2? Has anyone taken the Sulya road in Kasargod? What are the specialities of these routes?
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:57   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. Reminds me of my mobiking days when I decided to drive up and down every single ghat down to the coast in the Western Ghats between KL and GJ.

Yes, Munnar-Kodai is indeed closed, but there is one more OTR road which can be driven the OTR way parallel o the old road.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:20   #1406
Senior - BHPian

From TVM, one can reach Tamilnadu via Kattakkada, Kulaseskharam to Aralvaimozhi on NH7. Is that SH45?
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:23   #1407
BHPian

RajeshK: I re-read the two links. Quite some info on the Sulya route and you mentioned separately about the Perdala route. So is there a link on Google maps missing about the Vittala-Perdala road? Is it via Ukkuda? I can see some minor roads there. How is the road condition?

All: What I could do is: at the top of this thread, each route that's listed will be hyper-linked to the corresponding thread. e.g - Sulya links, Perdala links as mentioned by RajeshK (Kasargod expert), Parambikulam links as pointed by pypkmsrikanth (Parambi/Valparai expert,), Nilambur/Calicut (say Bigzero/Ampere.) Kind of indexing for quick de-referencing.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:29   #1408
BHPian

sbraj: Just checked google maps. Its the SH45 and the SH45 splits into two around the two Chitra Dams. It appears great. So maybe a first hand report on the same would help.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:29   #1409
BHPian

Oh! And yes we did get the Trivandrum expert!
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:33   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sbraj: Just checked google maps. Its the SH45 and the SH45 splits into two around the two Chitra Dams. It appears great. So maybe a first hand report on the same would help.
I have been through this route in June. I wanted to get an alternate route to bypass Nagercoil.

Road condition was not great, under repair. Sedans/hatches would find it difficult whereas it should be fine for SUVs. Scenic road with lots of vegetation around.

On the way one finds the Pechiparai waterfalls, dam as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks