Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 19:37   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Athirapalli-Vazhachal 5 kms-Peringalkuth Dam/Checkpost 5-Sholayar Dam 25-Malakkiparai (KL/TN Border)/Check Post 24-Valparai 22-Rottikadai/Iyerpadi 5-Aliyar Dam 36-Pollachi 24
Beautiful route. Roads are reasonably good & this has to be done during Dec-Jan season as mist would add beauty to those ALL GREEN roads
Old 8th June 2010, 21:10   #1337
Team-BHP Support

AArgee,

Nelliyampathy is close to Nemmara (Clocse to Palakkad).
Recall Laluk's TL.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:35   #1338

Quote:
No problem with landslides anywhere, unless there are some very heavy rains - even then, there will not be much dislocation.

For Wayanad, the classic Mysore route is OK. Make sure you cross Bandipur area before the night closure timings.

From Wayanadu, the route choices to Alapuzha are:
Route 1: Wayanad-Kozhikode/Calicut-Kuttipuram-Kunnamkulam-Ernakulam/Koci-Alapuzha
Route 2: Wayanad-Nilambur-Shoranur-Trissur-Ernakulam-Alapuzha

The route via Calicut is straightforward, but you will encounter high traffic by day. But that would be preferred.
Thanks a lot. Will take the safer Calicut route then. Should i take the same route back from Kochi to reach Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

And right upto Ernakulam / Cochin, it is without bad patches. The Aroor - Cherthala 4 laned portion has some bad patches and sticking to the right lane is better as far as possible.

On 03/06/2010, I reached Calicut byepass beginning (243km) at 1022hrs from Alleppey, journey started at 0508hrs. The break was between 0902 and 0930hrs for breakfast.

I did not go into Calicut as I was on my way to Kannur (Parassinikadavu Temple).

If you see any private bus approaching you from front or back, please keep as much distance as possible from it.
Thanks for the word of caution. I remember travelling by a private bus from Ernakulam to some other place (cant remember the name). I hope i dont encounter any races when on the road.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:05   #1339

Hi,

I'm planning to drive to Munnar from Coimbatore during this weekend.
Though i have driven hills, this is my first trip to Munnar.

Would like to know,
1. The current road conditions between Udumalaipettai and Munnar
2. How would you rate the difficulty of the hill road to Munnar, compared to CBE-OOTY, CBE-MYSORE(via DHIMBAM), CBE-VALPARAI?
3. Estimated travel time between Udumalai and Munnar
4. One of the days during the trip, considering driving to Thekady from Munnar. Are the roads good in that stretch? Is it a trip that i can make and get back to Munnar? Or is there a better route to return to Coimbatore from Thekkadi?

I might get to take a Scorpio for the trip, but if does not work out, will settle for my own Santro. Should Santro be good enough for this trip?

Please help with anything else i need to be aware of during this trip.

Regs
Harris
Old 8th June 2010, 23:15   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
Thanks a lot. Will take the safer Calicut route then. Should i take the same route back from Kochi to reach Bangalore?

If you want a different route, come back on NH47-NH7 via TRissur, Palakkad, Coimbatore, Salem & Krishnagiri.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:23   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysan View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to drive to Munnar from Coimbatore during this weekend.
Though i have driven hills, this is my first trip to Munnar.

Would like to know,
1. The current road conditions between Udumalaipettai and Munnar
Good road, through forests, expect wildlife, check post time restrictions at night may be there.

Quote:
2. How would you rate the difficulty of the hill road to Munnar, compared to CBE-OOTY, CBE-MYSORE(via DHIMBAM), CBE-VALPARAI?
Ooty road is very gradual climb, smooth and has parapet walls throughout.
Dhimbam road is also very smooth and not very steep
Valparai has lots of sharp curves.
Climb to Munnar is not steep, but roads are narrower than all others, no steep valleys, not difficult for even a not-so-experienced driver.

Quote:
3. Estimated travel time between Udumalai and Munnar
90 kms, 3 hours max

Quote:
4. One of the days during the trip, considering driving to Thekady from Munnar. Are the roads good in that stretch? Is it a trip that i can make and get back to Munnar? Or is there a better route to return to Coimbatore from Thekkadi?
Good road, no steep sections, expect fog at Lockhart Gap within 10 kms of leaving Munnar.
110 kms can be covered in 3 hours.
You can go and return the same day.
Except that boat timings may be unsuitable since best wildlife sightings are possible only during early morning and evening
You can return to Coimbatore faster from Thekkady via Kumbam, Theni, Periakulam, SEmbatti, Ottanchatram, Palani, Udumalaipet & Pollachi. You should take 5-6 hours to cover the 280 kms.
I might get to take a Scorpio for the trip, but if does not work out, will settle for my own Santro. Should Santro be good enough for this trip?
Old 9th June 2010, 03:54   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have a specific reason for going via Calicut / Wayanad, the route suggested by HVK would be the best one to take - If you leave early from Cochin and get past Coimbatore byepass (and preferably Avinashi) before heavy traffic begins, you should be able to do the trip in about 8 or max 9 hours. Via Calicut it'll take you at least 2-3 hours more.
Old 9th June 2010, 05:22   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, No, No. You are again relying on these inaccurate Google Maps.
Yes, my bad, I should've googled on TBHP rather than google maps.

Quote:
Athirapalli-Vazhachal 5 kms-Peringalkuth Dam/Checkpost 5-Sholayar Dam 25-Malakkiparai (KL/TN Border)/Check Post 24-Valparai 22-Rottikadai/Iyerpadi 5-Aliyar Dam 36-Pollachi 24
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Recall Laluk's TL.
Yes, you're right (Swifted Nelliyampathy via Valparai), I should've searched in it. But that was not my priority. Thanks Ampere.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:29   #1344

Quote:
If you want a different route, come back on NH47-NH7 via TRissur, Palakkad, Coimbatore, Salem & Krishnagiri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Unless you have a specific reason for going via Calicut / Wayanad, the route suggested by HVK would be the best one to take - If you leave early from Cochin and get past Coimbatore byepass (and preferably Avinashi) before heavy traffic begins, you should be able to do the trip in about 8 or max 9 hours. Via Calicut it'll take you at least 2-3 hours more.
NH47-NH7 is better i guess. Aren't Athirampally and Vazhachal near Trissur? If so, I could detour to visit them i guess. (If time permits)

This would be my first roadtrip after joining T-Bhp, will post a nice Travelogue with loads of pictures.
Any tips on what all to take note of while on the trip so that I dont miss out on posting anything that might help fellow newbie T-Bhpians on their next trip?
Old 9th June 2010, 10:52   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH47-NH7 is better i guess. Aren't Athirampally and Vazhachal near Trissur? If so, I could detour to visit them i guess. (If time permits)
Turn off NH47 at Chalakudy (40 kms from Kochi/Ernakulam), and go 35 kms to Atirapalli (and 5 more for Vazhachal), and return the same way to Chalakudy and resume your journey on NH47.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:11   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Turn off NH47 at Chalakudy (40 kms from Kochi/Ernakulam), and go 35 kms to Atirapalli (and 5 more for Vazhachal), and return the same way to Chalakudy and resume your journey on NH47.
When coming from Kochi, Isn't there a shorter way that deviates from NH47 somewhere around Angamaly ? If that road condition is good, that would probably save some time (And the NH47 isn't that great anyway between Angamaly and Chalakudy - plenty of traffic and 4 laning work).

On the way back he could take the Chalakudy road and join back NH47 there.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:15   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When coming from Kochi, Isn't there a shorter way that deviates from NH47 somewhere around Angamaly ? If that road condition is good, that would probably save some time (And the NH47 isn't that great anyway between Angamaly and Chalakudy - plenty of traffic and 4 laning work).

You can also turn off NH47 1 km after Angamali town, but remember that you have to turn left to cross the River Chalakudy at Mokkanur which is 28 kms from Angamali town.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:47   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I hope i dont encounter any races when on the road.
You will! But give way, if they are coming towards you or behind you. The sooner, the better! That's all. The drive is very scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysan View Post
Hi,
Should Santro be good enough for this trip?
Your Santro should be fine.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:49   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

South of Alleppey, from about 15kms, there is a bad stretch of almost 6 to 7 kms which has nice huge potholes. Most of them are in the centre of the road, right now.

Another stretch to be careful is the 2 or 3 kms south of Thottappally spillway bridge.
Old 9th June 2010, 18:24   #1350

Quote:

Quote:
You can also turn off NH47 1 km after Angamali town, but remember that you have to turn left to cross the River Chalakudy at Mokkanur which is 28 kms from Angamali town.
Thanks a million hvk and kala!! So, getting off NH47 at Angamali and then cross over at Mokkanur and rejoining NH47 at Chalakudy - going into my trip book. Thanks a lot guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

South of Alleppey, from about 15kms, there is a bad stretch of almost 6 to 7 kms which has nice huge potholes. Most of them are in the centre of the road, right now.

Another stretch to be careful is the 2 or 3 kms south of Thottappally spillway bridge.
Thanks a lot for the heads up mate. Two more caution points into my book. Noticed that you are from Alleppey. Any suggestions on which(type?) House Boat to book?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks