Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 15:17   #3856
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

I plan to drive down to Kerala and contemplating to start on Friday evening and stay in Salem overnight before resuming my journey the next day morning. Any suggestions on good hotels in NH7, NH47 around Salem? I will be with my family, so the priority is for a decent and clean hotel. Again, I am not worried about the facilities; so a value for money hotel is what I am looking for. Appreciate any helpful inputs

-tortoise
Old 26th June 2012, 16:02   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Check out this thread. I was in the same situation a month back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2791781

My Suggestions.

1. Hotel Saravana Bhavan
2. Hotel Chennis Perundurai
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 17:43   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
.........and stay in Salem overnight before resuming my journey the next day morning. Any suggestions on good hotels......

-tortoise
I suggest you to stay somewhere before Coimbatore as Salem is just about 3 hrs drive from Bangalore.
Hotel Chennis would be a better decision if you do not have any other commitments in Salem.

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th June 2012 at 17:45.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 19:48   #3859
BHPian

thanks. that is an option i will consider
Old 26th June 2012, 23:20   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I suggest you to stay somewhere before Coimbatore as Salem is just about 3 hrs drive from Bangalore.
Hotel Chennis would be a better decision if you do not have any other commitments in Salem.
Someone had suggested hotel Rithanns at Karumathampatti which is about 10 kms before the Coimbatore bye-pass. Looks pretty good on their webpage. Hotel Rithanns
Old 27th June 2012, 10:06   #3861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Someone had suggested hotel Rithanns at Karumathampatti which is about 10 kms before the Coimbatore bye-pass. Looks pretty good on their webpage. Hotel Rithanns
Hotel Rithanns does look as good as it looks in the website. Also, it is bar attached. Hence I was also doubtful about its suitability for a family accommodation.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:40   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hotel Rithanns does look as good as it looks in the website. Also, it is bar attached. Hence I was also doubtful about its suitability for a family accommodation.

I meant - Hotel Rithanns DOES NOT look as good as it looks in the website. Sorry for the typo.
Old 29th June 2012, 23:26   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Traffic is interrupted at Shulagiri following a major accident. Few lorries and cars from both direction involved in the accident.

I crossed this place about 30 mins back.

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th June 2012 at 23:27.
Old 30th June 2012, 01:10   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Traffic is interrupted at Shulagiri following a major accident. Few lorries and cars from both direction involved in the accident.

I crossed this place about 30 mins back.
I believe this is at one of the diversions.

The Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch is not fit for doing speeds>80 kmph because of the 6 lane work. There are random blocking of lanes and people who drove at higher speeds all the way become restless because of this diversions and thus it becomes a pile-up.
Old 30th June 2012, 06:22   #3865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys

I believe this is at one of the diversions.

The Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch is not fit for doing speeds>80 kmph because of the 6 lane work. There are random blocking of lanes and people who drove at higher speeds all the way become restless because of this diversions and thus it becomes a pile-up.
It was just before A2B.

Also there was long traffic block at L&T byepass but Walayar was free.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:07   #3866
BHPian

What is the preferred route from Chittarikkal to Mananthavady? I need to make a stop at Periya en route.

Google Maps shows the following:

Chittarikkal - Cherupuzha - Therthally - Sreekandapuram - Pazhayapalam - Peravoor - Periya - Mananthavady

What is the condition of this road?

Are any alternatives suggested?

How much time would it take to reach Periya?

I am not familiar with the roads in this area. The only time I have driven here, was a year back when I did the Taliparambu - Chudala - Padiyottuchal - Cherupuzha - Chittarikkal and back then the roads around Cherupuzha were in really bad shape. If they haven't improved any, then I would most likely have to take a longer route by going to Payyannur through Cheemeni, go down to Kannur and back into the hills through Koothuparambu and Kannavam.

Please help with suggestions.
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:16   #3867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
What is the preferred route from Chittarikkal to Mananthavady? I need to make a stop at Periya en route.

Google Maps shows the following:

Chittarikkal - Cherupuzha - Therthally - Sreekandapuram - Pazhayapalam - Peravoor - Periya - Mananthavady

What is the condition of this road?
Shortest route will be Chittarikkal - Cherupuzha - Therthally - Sreekandapuram - Iritty - Peravoor - Kottiyoor - Boys Town - Mananthawady. I am not sure about the current road condition.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:43   #3868
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need some update on the road conditions to Kottayam. I need to travel to Kottayam and Trivandrum from Salem.

Planning to take the
Salem>Karur>Dindigul>Theni>Kumbum>Kanjirapalli>Kot tayam (Halt for a day)> Thiruvalla>Kottarakara>Trivandrum(Halt for couple of days)>Nagercoil>NH7 back to Salem

Now, I want to know the condition of the roads from Dinigul to Kottayam and Kottayam to Trivandrum. Any idea about travel times in these sectors?

Any other route you would like to suggest? I have to be in Kottayam first then move on to Trivandrum.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:15   #3869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys need some update on the road conditions to Kottayam. I need to travel to Kottayam and Trivandrum from Salem.

Planning to take the
Salem>Karur>Dindigul>Theni>Kumbum>Kanjirapalli>Kot tayam (Halt for a day)> Thiruvalla>Kottarakara>Trivandrum(Halt for couple of days)>Nagercoil>NH7 back to Salem

Now, I want to know the condition of the roads from Dinigul to Kottayam and Kottayam to Trivandrum. Any idea about travel times in these sectors?

Any other route you would like to suggest? I have to be in Kottayam first then move on to Trivandrum.
No idea about the route from Dindigul to Kottayam.
Kottayam to Trivandrum - Route is Kottayam -> Changanassery ( By pass) Thiruvalla -> Chengannur -> Adoor (Bypass) -> Kottarakkara ->Trivandrum

Kottayam to Chengannur will be bumpy with slow traffic.
Chengannur to Trivandrum - excellent.

Beware of interceptors all over Kerala. The speed limit is 70 KM/H.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:34   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Planning to take the

Robi,

When is your trip planned. I plan to take the same route this Saturday, but need to go to Thiruvalla.

Arun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks