Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 16:19   #5356
BHPian

Such a downer reading about the poor state of roads in Kerala.The pictures of the road to Mannuthy are shocking. Had planned a road trip from Bangalore to Cochin mid August.Now most of the route options seem to be getting more restrictive. Has anyone done the Mysore route recently? Or even a more circuitous one, by say one hundred kilometers? As long as it is reasonably motorable and safe!
Old 30th July 2013, 21:59   #5357
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
Such a downer reading about the poor state of roads in Kerala.
As always, the Kerala high court is now getting interested.

http://newindianexpress.com/states/k...cle1702646.ece

Malayala Manorama further reports that the judge warned the state that the court will fix liability on the government for accidents on these bad quality roads.
Old 30th July 2013, 22:28   #5358
Senior - BHPian

Two or three years ago someone calculated the total number of potholes on kerala's roads and every newspaper carried a daily scorecard of potholes filled on that day and the balance to be filled up. Funny.
Now, this time, it would be a lot easier to calculate the area of the undamaged road left left rather than counting the potholes.
Old 31st July 2013, 01:12   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
... Has anyone done the Mysore route recently? Or even a more circuitous one, by say one hundred kilometers? As long as it is reasonably motorable and safe!
I am interested in a report too. The route (Bangalore to Kochi, via Mysore) is actually shorter than the via Salem route.
Old 31st July 2013, 07:59   #5360
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone done the Bangalore mysore bathery kalpetta calicut route recently? Heard that the extensive rains have broken the newly Laid roads. Any feedback if this is true and how bad is it?
Old 31st July 2013, 08:24   #5361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Has anyone done the Bangalore mysore bathery kalpetta calicut route recently? Heard that the extensive rains have broken the newly Laid roads. Any feedback if this is true and how bad is it?
Is this recent enough for you?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3172026
Old 31st July 2013, 09:11   #5362
Senior - BHPian

The biggest drawback of the Mysore-Gundlupet-wayanad-Calicut route is that it does not give you an option of starting late in the evening, due to the nigh time travel restriction on the forest stretch.
Old 31st July 2013, 09:11   #5363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Some subtle modifications in your route map:
Singasandra-Kalpathy
Came back from the trip on Sunday. Followed the route you guys suggested and I am glad that I did. Roads were in prime condition throughout. Until NH47 gets repaired (if it ever gets ), I think this is the best possible option.

On the way back, I did a mistake though. At Pollachi, instead of continuing to 'Avinashi-Tiruppur-Palladam-Pollachi-Cochin' Road, I took NH-209 to Coimbatore (I blame it on GPS ). So, I joined back NH47 at Coimbatore and had to go through all those diversions (due to road work) between Coimbatore and Avinashi. But, I avoided the major pain area (Walayar) between Palakkad and Coimbatore.

Few other points :-
1. Since its SH after Perundurai, you cant cruise at three digits like you can do on NH. You can still do 80s
2. There are small towns on the way, so you have to be a little more careful
3. SH between Thrissur and Shoranur is a little narrow. So, be careful. On top of it, there were lot of trucks. Also, I was driving in the night and it was raining heavily. So, the visibility was not that great
4. Roads inside Thrissur town are in bad condition (some of them, at least).
5. As others have pointed out, in Kerala vehicle density even on NH is on the higher side.

Thanks once again silversteed, NPV.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st July 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 31st July 2013, 12:09   #5364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks binand. I had seen this post from you. Wanted to check if anyone had more recent information on points you had mentioned regarding the deterioration you had seen. Since it has been pretty much continuously raining this past month, I am assuming it would have worsened.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:09   #5365
Senior - BHPian

When in Kerala, if i am asking for directions, how to differentiate Wadakanchery from Vadakkencherry?

(the pronunciation)
Old 31st July 2013, 14:29   #5366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
When in Kerala, if i am asking for directions, how to differentiate Wadakanchery from Vadakkencherry?

(the pronunciation)
If you are not a Malayalee, your best bet is to adapt Herge's method - Wadakkanchery with a railway station and Vadakkenchery without a railway station. :-)

The trick is in the "k" sound.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 14:33   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

(the pronunciation)
In addition to Binand' tip,the other way is to ask "Thrissur Wadakancheri" and the "Palakkad Vadakkencheri".The difference in pronounciation is the "kaan" and the "ken"
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:10   #5368
BHPian

Hello! Any updates on road conditions from Valparai Tamil Nadu to Kochi? Planning Bangalore Kochi via Valparai . Distance is 60 km more than via Thrissur. Unable to get an accurate update on roadworthiness. Plan to stop at the Waterfalls Estate if I get a positive road report.Thanks.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:31   #5369
BHPian

Hi,
I was planning either a Bangalore-Cherai trip next weekend. Would like to stayover at either Ooty or wayanad for night or 2 on the way.

I will decide on either based on the road conditions of NH 212 or gudalur-Nilambur-perilthalmanna route from ooty. This is important since have a pregnant sis-in-law travelling along. Also which route of these is more scenic.

I am planning to be back via trissur-wadakaanchery-alathur-kollengode-pollachi-palladum-perundurai-bangalore route as being suggested here.

Please advise which road is in best state as of today.

p.s would be doing this in an innova.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:40   #5370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello! Any updates on road conditions from Valparai Tamil Nadu to Kochi? Planning Bangalore Kochi via Valparai . Distance is 60 km more than via Thrissur. Unable to get an accurate update on roadworthiness. Plan to stop at the Waterfalls Estate if I get a positive road report.Thanks.
The Valparai Athirappilly road was closed a few days back due to landslides.Must be open now.

Plus please do not go via the "extra" 60kms,in terms of time taken it would be much more than driving the straight road.Pollachi to Chalakudy budget for a minimum 6hours drive via Valparai imo.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks