Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 08:16   #5341
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Hosur to Salem (6-8pm) NH7 slowly being destroyed due the various diversion related to new overpasses. but great stretches in between where you can hit high speeds. Again heavy traffic, mostly lorries. The glare from oncoming traffic is unbearable and dangerous as you approach villages with cross streets and invisible cyclist etc. Salem city traffic is quite bad as you have to inch through a couple of roundabouts/circles. Tolls galore!
Hosur-Salem ? I thought its only till Krishnagiri ? Its should be very nice beyond with almost no traffic, but some trucks here and there.

Quote:
Then I made an almost fatal error. I missed the turn from SH58 to SH74 and found myself on the NH47. So instead of doing the 70km round about trip from "G" to "J" I took the 30 km "shortcut". What a DISASTER!. Words cannot describe how bad the road condition is. It's not just your wheels that hit the potholes, your entire vehicles goes in and out of the "craters".
This where you need the GPS to see where you are going next, esp at nights where you dont have any one to help/assist.
Old 27th July 2013, 08:20   #5342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hosur-Salem ? I thought its only till Krishnagiri ? Its should be very nice beyond with almost no traffic, but some trucks here and there.

This where you need the GPS to see where you are going next, esp at nights where you dont have any one to help/assist.

May be I took a wrong turn. I was in Salem all right. I confirmed with a passerby.

I think I may have programmed a via point incorrectly GPS - I got the coordinates out of googlemaps, had to convert the format and enter them into the Garmin. Plus it was 3am and I was running on 3hours of sleep..
Old 27th July 2013, 08:27   #5343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I may have programmed a via point incorrectly GPS - I got the coordinates out of googlemaps, had to convert the format and enter them into the Garmin. Plus it was 3am and I was running on 3hours of sleep..
Yes thats true. And in the Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur road, its very easy to get diverted to NH47 toward Vadakkancherry. Basically at Kollengode, you should make sure you are the right road to Alathur. That should set it correctly.

But yes 3Am is a wrong time!
Old 27th July 2013, 08:48   #5344
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Salem to Erode (8pm-9pm): Great roads, well marked. traffic begins to thin. Tolls continue.

Erode to Palladum (via Perindurai) (9pm-10:30pm). This road is UNBELIEVABLY good! Great surface, curvy and well marked. I was shocked! Never expected this. And I was doing higher average speeds on this road than than NH7.
If you were headed to Perundurai and then Kangeyam and Palladam why did you go to Erode ?
From Salem, get onto NH47 and the turnoff to Perundurai/Kangeyam is right on NH47 after Bhavani, you don't have to go to Erode.

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2013 at 08:52.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:59   #5345
Senior - BHPian

For people not familiar with the Perundurai-Kangayam route, the turn off from NH-47 four laned road is approximately 52km from the NHAI wayside amenity centre at Vaikundam. There is a Sree Saravanabhavan hotel with lodging, and a few other small shops at this amenity centre. There are signboards about 500m before the junction where you need to turn left towards Kangayam.

As for losing directions in Pollachi, Kollengode or Alathur, it's suggested to use a GPS navigation device or Google Maps (preferred).
Old 27th July 2013, 13:08   #5346
Team-BHP Support

Best way to Note Perundurai exit :

- 2-3km before the town, there is a board which Perundurai 2km (I think that is 2)
- If you miss this and you see Aryas on your right or Annalkashmi on your left, be aware you have missed the first exit to the town. The second exit is right adjacent to Hotel Anna Lakshmi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 13:51   #5347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
... NH47 after Bhavani, you don't have to go to Erode.
You are right. I just remember seeing signs for Erode. I did turn off before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
...As for losing directions in Pollachi, Kollengode or Alathur, it's suggested to use a GPS navigation device or Google Maps (preferred).
Correct. On the way put of Bangalore on NH&, there are some new flyovers that are not on the maps and GPS offers unnecessary corrections while you are on it. I missed the Kollengode and then failed to correct my course possibly because I because got used to the unnecessary corrections offered by the GPS on NH7, and GPS immediately "recalculated" and sent my on my to NH47 hell.

@silversteed: since I missed the SH74 stretch, how does the surface and traffic compare with SH58 and 67? I wanna try it on the way back tomorrow.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 28th July 2013 at 11:26.
Old 28th July 2013, 23:38   #5348
BHPian

Ok.. Mods, before you freak out, I cannot edit the previous post above, so here is the next post and it is going to look consecutive.

I had the opportunity to do silversteed route, http://goo.gl/maps/yxHhm without any mishaps, on the return. However, my opinion is that the route G to J is not worth it. It took me 3 hours! For 2 reasons. The state Highways in Kerala not as nice as those in Tamil Nadu mainly because of the traffic and density of population it runs through especially during day time. Also, Garmin GPS just refused to want to continue on this road (because it thought it was a footpath?) and kept wanting me to U-turn and get back on NH47. I've learned that the mapping of roads in Tamilnadu is far more accurate than Kerala.

My recommendation is to bite the bullet and do the nasty crater filled 30km NH47 stretch between Alathur and Manuthy. It may take 1.5 hours and may leave your left leg sore, but for now it appears to be the quickest option.

Another observation: There is a HUGE difference in driving in Kerala during day and night. Day time travel takes twice as long due to traffic congestion and traffic cops who have decided to take the 70kmph speed limit seriously and monitor it with Radar guns even on Sunday afternoons. Watch out!
Old 29th July 2013, 22:47   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures of the infamous nh47.picture courtesy and credits mmade thrissur forum on facebook.

All Roads to Kerala-image4076044906.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-image4240616340.jpg
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 23:08   #5350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Some pictures of the infamous nh47.picture courtesy and credits mmade thrissur forum on facebook.
Which part of the NH47 is this? Kuthiran to Mannuthy?
Old 30th July 2013, 00:00   #5351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Which part of the NH47 is this? Kuthiran to Mannuthy?
The second one is a little ahead of the Kerala Agricultural University gate near Mannuthy. No idea about the first one.
Old 30th July 2013, 07:29   #5352
Senior - BHPian

In a way I am happy my trip this week is postponed. I was supposed to drive blore-calicut-kottayam-bangalore in a Figo.
Looking at these conditions, either my car would be swallowed or stuck in one of these craters or the underbody would look like these roads.
Sorry state of affairs.

Regards
Old 30th July 2013, 10:06   #5353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The state Highways in Kerala not as nice as those in Tamil Nadu mainly because of the traffic and density of population it runs through especially during day time...

Another observation: There is a HUGE difference in driving in Kerala during day and night. Day time travel takes twice as long due to traffic congestion and traffic cops who have decided to take the 70kmph speed limit seriously and monitor it with Radar guns even on Sunday afternoons. Watch out!
I agree to your point that it's difficult to maintain a good average speed on KL State Highways due to the density of traffic.

Quote:
My recommendation is to bite the bullet and do the nasty crater filled 30km NH47 stretch between Alathur and Manuthy. It may take 1.5 hours and may leave your left leg sore, but for now it appears to be the quickest option.
The pictures above, in post #5349 would change your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
In a way I am happy my trip this week is postponed. I was supposed to drive blore-calicut-kottayam-bangalore in a Figo.
Looking at these conditions, either my car would be swallowed or stuck in one of these craters or the underbody would look like these roads.
Sorry state of affairs.
What you fear will happen if you take the Kuthiran route. There are alternate routes for you on your return leg, ie., Kottayam-Kumily-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore, OR, Kottayam-Angamaly-Thrissur-Wadakkancherry-Chelakkara-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Kangayam-Salem-Bangalore.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:44   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you fear will happen if you take the Kuthiran route. There are alternate routes for you on your return leg, ie., Kottayam-Kumily-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore, OR, Kottayam-Angamaly-Thrissur-Wadakkancherry-Chelakkara-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Kangayam-Salem-Bangalore.
Yes, I was planning on taking the second option anyway since I have been following these threads. But I had no clue on the Wynad roads to Calicut and road condition between Calicut and Kottayam and if NH17 was better than Thrissur route.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:02   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman
Quote:
The pictures above, in post #5349 would change your opinion.
I actually did the Alathur to Mannuthy stretch in my Duster at 3:00am and the vehicle survived. If I had taken a look at the photos before hand, I probably would not have risked it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks