Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 17:59   #5221
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

I am planning to travel to Ernakulam next week; any update on the current road conditions? Are there any risks to worry about and precautions to take?
Old 22nd June 2013, 18:32   #5222
BHPian

We have planned a road trip through Kerala, which for the most part has convenient and short traveling segments. My only skepticism was over Thekkady - Kanyakumari section that we've planned. What would be a realistic estimate (1st week of July travel, and hence monsoon at its peak) of time for it? Thank you!
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:15   #5223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
We have planned a road trip through Kerala, which for the most part has convenient and short traveling segments. My only skepticism was over Thekkady - Kanyakumari section that we've planned. What would be a realistic estimate (1st week of July travel, and hence monsoon at its peak) of time for it? Thank you!
Its about 350km when I see in Google maps. Even if you start after a lazy breakfast, you should be able to make it easily for a noon tea ! Of course you go by TN side rather than Kerala. You get empty 4-lane roads as well.

Thekaddy-Theni-Usilampatti-Tirumangalam-And 4-lane from here to Kanyakumari.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:20   #5224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its about 350km when I see in Google maps. Even if you start after a lazy breakfast, you should be able to make it easily for a noon tea ! Of course you go by TN side rather than Kerala. You get empty 4-lane roads as well.

Thekaddy-Theni-Usilampatti-Tirumangalam-And 4-lane from here to Kanyakumari.
Thank you! You've answered two questions in one go - because, I was wondering why Google Maps suggested a longer route though TN, when we could save 60 odd kms going through Trivandrum. Now, I know! I should estimate 6 hours, fair?
Old 22nd June 2013, 20:54   #5225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Thank you! You've answered two questions in one go - because, I was wondering why Google Maps suggested a longer route though TN, when we could save 60 odd kms going through Trivandrum. Now, I know! I should estimate 6 hours, fair?
Yes 6 hours is a fair assessment. You do about 2-3 hours to reach Tirumangalam and another 2/2.5 on the 4-lane to Kanyakumari.
Old 24th June 2013, 14:10   #5226
BHPian

Planning for a trip to Kottayam from Bangalore. Need to go through Mysore as have some errands to be completed there. Please suggest a route from Mysore.
Choices.

1) Mysore - Chamarajanagar- Cbtore- Palakkad-Ottappalam -Shornur -Vadakkanchery - Thrissur - Angamalay - Ktym.
2) Mysore- Gundelpet - Gudalur- Nadugani - Nilambur- Shornur- Vadakkanchery - Thrissur - Angamaly - Ktym
3) Mysore - Gunderlpet- Sultanbattery -Calicut- NH-17 - Cochin - Ktym.

Considering the heavy rains lashing in Kerala, your valuable suggestions will be very helpful

I am planning to start the journey from Mysore on 27th June !
Old 24th June 2013, 16:37   #5227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkm View Post
Planning for a trip to Kottayam from Bangalore. Need to go through Mysore as have some errands to be completed there. Please suggest a route from Mysore.
Choices.

1) Mysore - Chamarajanagar- Cbtore- Palakkad-Ottappalam -Shornur -Vadakkanchery - Thrissur - Angamalay - Ktym.
2) Mysore- Gundelpet - Gudalur- Nadugani - Nilambur- Shornur- Vadakkanchery - Thrissur - Angamaly - Ktym
I would choose Option 2 as it would be the shortest.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:59   #5228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkm View Post
Choices.

Considering the heavy rains lashing in Kerala, your valuable suggestions will be very helpful

I am planning to start the journey from Mysore on 27th June !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I would choose Option 2 as it would be the shortest.
Of the 3 options I think the roads on alternative (3) are in the best condition if you substitute the State Highway via Kuttippuram-Kunnamkulam-Trichur for NH17 . But since the major part of your journey is going to be in Kerala excellent roads will not necessarily mean a faster journey, your overall average speed will still be limited to probably around 45 to 50 kmph max because of the heavy traffic you'll encounter on most routes.

In that scenario, the shortest would probably be the best option to choose and I concur with @pramodpk on the choice of option (2).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 17:08   #5229
Team-BHP Support

Only part I hope is if rains have not caught up on the Nilambur section and impeded traffic. Hope roads are still alive in there.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:30   #5230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only part I hope is if rains have not caught up on the Nilambur section and impeded traffic. Hope roads are still alive in there.
Any body traveled in this section / route recently ? Please comment.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:22   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Manoramaonline reports that Traffic through Nadugani ghats (Gudalur-Nilambur road) has been halted due to landslides and tree falls. No more detailed information available at this point of time. Several vehicles are said to be stranded since 6 hours.
The link is here for people who can read malayalam. could not find an english news item link.
http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...RIAL&BV_ID=@@@

Last edited by sandsun7 : 25th June 2013 at 11:26.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 11:44   #5232
BHPian

Dear all, Any updates on road condition from Thrissur to Kollam? Heard that there is minor potholes in Thrissur-Angamaly stretch. How is raod condition mainly in Alleppy and Kollam. Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 15:29   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Dear all, Any updates on road condition from Thrissur to Kollam? Heard that there is minor potholes in Thrissur-Angamaly stretch. How is raod condition mainly in Alleppy and Kollam. Thanks
Alleppey-Kollam is intermittently broken. Not very good, but not dangerously bad

Did not notice any potholes in the Thrissur-Angamaly stretch. At least, nothing that affected me!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 12:15   #5234
BHPian

The Road from kaliyikkavilai to kanyakumari is in terrible condition . Kindly avoid travel in this route if concerned about your vehicle.
Old 28th June 2013, 17:08   #5235
BHPian

Did anyone get stuck/held up in the floods/high waters on NH220 around Vandiperiyar this week/Monday/Tuesday ? Both when going from Kumily or returning from Kottayam ( there were two points where traffic was stuck - either side of Vandiperiyar )

Was raining continuously ( and heavily ) around Kumily/Vagamon/Erattapetta/Idukki/Vandiperiyar 3-4 days ( it perhaps still is, I don't know ).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks