Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 08:28   #6721
Senior - BHPian

+1
If you plan for night drive, then option 2 it is. Traffic banned from 9pm to 6am on Gudalur stretch but its just a couple of hours drive to Mysore once gate opens.
Old 17th April 2014, 13:44   #6722
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Thanks Silversteed. Actually my destination is Mankara. So do you think it is worth trying velanthavalam-Athicode-Chittur-Koduvayur-Kuzhalmannam-Mathur route? If so, is this the correct route http://goo.gl/maps/f0TEX ? Also, is there any landmark where I should take the diversion from NH47 to reach velanthavalam ?
Took this route (http://goo.gl/maps/Uqsz5) while going from Chennai and roads are good and recently laid (except for a 200 meters patch). As per google maps, it is 6 KMs more when compared to the Walayar-Kanjikkode route but it is worth trying IMO. Somehow, I have an aversion in taking Walayar route as I had couple of bad experiences in my earlier trips.

And for the first time in recent years, I liked driving through roads in Kerala mainly due to the speed limit revision. This time I wasn't pulled up by police for over speeding and I could drive without any such fear (not that I am a rash driver but keeping the speed to 60KMs was a real tough task earlier).

Been to Calicut from there and roads were again in good condition. Overall a pleasant drive this time around
Old 17th April 2014, 14:07   #6723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Been to Calicut from there and roads were again in good condition. Overall a pleasant drive this time around
I think NH47 has been tarred well off late. See @Naveen.Raju's post. I think there is no need for a deviation.

Any specific reasons why you wanted to deviate?
Old 17th April 2014, 14:33   #6724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think NH47 has been tarred well off late. See @Naveen.Raju's post. I think there is no need for a deviation.

Any specific reasons why you wanted to deviate?
More than the road condition, I was wary of the possible traffic jam at Walayar check post. Though I had been told that there were no such things reported of late, didn't want to take any chance as I got stuck there couple of times earlier.
At the end of the day, it wasn't a bad decision -thanks to good and traffic free roads.
Old 17th April 2014, 18:41   #6725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is the most recent update I have seen:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3409537

17/4 is voting day in KA; so if you have your name in the electoral rolls here please consider voting and then starting your trip. Polling stations open at 7 AM, so the delay for you would be only about 2.5 hours.

Also, please post your route experience, as I am taking this road on 18/4 to Perumbavur.
Hi binand & fellow BHPians,

Just reached home (Trichur) after a 12 hour drive via Chmrj Ngr, Nilambur, today and thought to share the travel details.
Started sharp at 5.30am from KR Puram area & arrived sharp at 5.30am at Trichur taking the following route:
Silkboard -> Bnnrghata Rd -> Knkpura -> Kollegal -> Chmrj Ngr -> Gudallur -> Vazhikkadavu -> Perinthalmanna -> Shornur -> Thrissur.

Total time taken was almost 12hours which includes multiple breaks & visits which took upto 2.5 hours and N number of Stop & checks due to the on going Elections and couple of them by the Forest guards.

Pros: Nice Roads for almost 90% of the entire Route.
Cons: Could maintain an avg of 80-90kms once out of BLR until Chmrj Ngr and along the route between Gundlupet - Bandipur.
Do not expect the same later as as you enter the National Park and it is tough to find either good roads OR empty stretches post that.

Look out for: Uneven patches from Chmrj Nagar-Gundlupet, knee deep potholes between the last half of Bandipur, and Road work in progress between certain stretches of the Nadugani stretch (which limits to a single lane traffic at a time)

Hope all Bangaloreans have contributed towards the Change & caste their Votes responsibly. Wish all of you a Happy Easter Weekend Drive!
unni246 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 10:43   #6726
Senior - BHPian

My trip on 18/4 was as peaceful as unni246's.

I too started from home at 6 AM on 18/4. The route Kanakapura-Ch. Nagar-Gundlepet is pretty well known so I wouldn't elaborate on that stretch. Sufficient to say that I reached Gundlepet (at the junction where NH 67 splits off) at around 10:30 AM (odo: 214 km).

NH 67 is not as good as NH 212, though it is still pretty well-maintained. The stretch through Bandipur National Park (KA side of this road) is quite good despite having several speedbreakers. At the KA-TN border (entrance to Mudumalai National Park), I was checked pretty thoroughly - the cop made specific mention of my driving a TN-registered vehicle into TN (all other cars in the vicinity were KA, with a few AP and MH thrown in). After about 10 minutes of search + Q/A, he let me through. Soon after I had my first shock of the trip - a completely unmarked deep ditch on my side of the road. Since I was passing two buses going the the other way I had no chance of avoiding it. My car scraped the road on this one.

Soon Theppakkadu arrived, and I turned right towards Gudalur (all regular traffic turns left towards Masinagudi & Ooty). From here onwards I saw very little vehicular traffic - the occasional bus or truck, plus maybe a traveller or two. The road quality in this stretch is horrible. There are 50-metre stretches with no roads at all - just a mess of gravel and deep potholes. Road quality visibly improved after exiting the forest. I turned into Calicut Road at Gudalur at 11:50 AM (odo: 262 km).

There was some traffic beyond Gudalur, but once I turned off at Nadugani it reduced considerably. Buses towards Gudalur and Ooty, picnickers in MUVs and Travellers, some trucks. The ghat road is being relaid so there is some traffic restriction, though nothing that majorly inconvenienced me. After entering KL and negotiating all the check posts, I crossed Vazhikkadavu, the first KL town and proceeded towards Nilambur. This stretch, about 20 km, is very narrow and I can only imagine the traffic chaos during weekdays here.

I stopped for lunch at a decent-looking restaurant at Nilambur with ample parking (Green Palace). I had this vested interest of having food that I grew up on, but has been off my menu for a while now due to that abomination called "Lipid Profile". Anyway, but the time I turned off the Gudalur-Calicut Road at Vadapuram, it was 13:40 (odo: 314), only 10 minutes behind the schedule I had planned before leaving Bangalore.

The Nilambur-Perinthalmanna stretch didn't have much traffic at all, except at the small towns (Wandoor, Pandikkad). In no time I had crossed NH 213 and was on my way to Thrissur (via Pattambi & Shoranur), where I reached at 4:15 PM (odo: 417 km). I followed ranjitp1's directions to go through the town (completely ignoring the Thrissur Municipal Corporation's directions) to hit NH 47. Soon Angamaly came and I turned onto MC Road, and then at Vallom towards Kodanad. I reached home at 5:40 PM (odo: 478 km).

After entering KL I did not encounter any pothole at all; this was a very pleasant surprise since I was driving mostly on state roads. Except some town areas, the road was wide enough too. I had to cross three railway gates of which only one was closed when I arrived. Even here, the discipline followed by KL drivers in queueing up and making sure others do it too is commendable - very unlike Bangalore!

I stopped thrice for tea - once at Malavally, from a lady selling it at the point where the bypass merges with the main Kollegal Road coming from the town centre, next at Gudalur and the third at Wadakkanchery. The first was excellent - strong and not very sweet, the second felt like week-old used tea bags soaked in lukewarm water and the third was made to my exact specifications so can't fault it.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 19:55   #6727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the KA-TN border (entrance to Mudumalai National Park), I was checked pretty thoroughly - the cop made specific mention of my driving a TN-registered vehicle into TN (all other cars in the vicinity were KA, with a few AP and MH thrown in). After about 10 minutes of search + Q/A, he let me through.
10 minutes ?? What were they looking for ? Terrorists ? Or Veerappan's ex-friends ?
Old 20th April 2014, 21:24   #6728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
10 minutes ?? What were they looking for ? Terrorists ? Or Veerappan's ex-friends ?
My car was also checked thoroughly near Salem last week while driving back from Bangalore. They documented the entire search (with handycam), opened the luggage and even asked to open the first aid/spare pouch which was in the glovebox. But this was related to election but was one thorough search. They were stopping cars at random and not by the registration numbers.
Old 20th April 2014, 21:44   #6729
BHPian

Quote:
My trip on 18/4 was as peaceful as unni246's.

At the KA-TN border (entrance to Mudumalai National Park), I was checked pretty thoroughly - the cop made specific mention of my driving a TN-registered vehicle into TN (all other cars in the vicinity were KA, with a few AP and MH thrown in). After about 10 minutes of search + Q/A, he let me through. Soon after I had my first shock of the trip - a completely unmarked deep ditch on my side of the road. Since I was passing two buses going the the other way I had no chance of avoiding it. My car scraped the road on this one.

Soon Theppakkadu arrived, and I turned right towards Gudalur (all regular traffic turns left towards Masinagudi & Ooty). From here onwards I saw very little vehicular traffic - the occasional bus or truck, plus maybe a traveller or two. The road quality in this stretch is horrible. There are 50-metre stretches with no roads at all - just a mess of gravel and deep potholes. Road quality visibly improved after exiting the forest. I turned into Calicut Road at Gudalur at 11:50 AM (odo: 262 km).

After entering KL I did not encounter any pothole at all; this was a very pleasant surprise since I was driving mostly on state roads. Except some town areas, the road was wide enough too. I had to cross three railway gates of which only one was closed when I arrived. Even here, the discipline followed by KL drivers in queueing up and making sure others do it too is commendable - very unlike Bangalore!
Nice write up binand.
Sorry to hear that you scrapped your car in one of the ditches.
In fact I was lucky to avoid a few deep ones.
Had to even travel couple of 100 meters with one side of the car down from the Road as the road's edge were too sharp / deep to drive back, for long stretches; Some Truck drivers drive really rash on this Route and pay no heed to small cars which pushed me down the Road's edge.

Your TN car might have been checked thoroughly, due to the upcoming elections in TN which should happen on the 24th of April.

I was quite surprised as you were when I entered Kerala, till I reached home to see the quality of the Roads.
Was not able to spot even a single pothole on the entire stretch within Kerala, and that too almost well paved & rubberised Roads were a Plus, and brought a cheer to my face!

Last edited by unni246 : 20th April 2014 at 21:47. Reason: Add more points
Old 21st April 2014, 06:24   #6730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Your TN car might have been checked thoroughly, due to the upcoming elections in TN which should happen on the 24th of April.
Polling in TN is on 24/4. Hence the checking. The cop asked me repeatedly if I was carrying large amounts of cash. I told him I have a few thousands in my wallet meant for petrol and other incidental expenses, but that didn't interest him. I also told him I'm transporting an old TV, which was also fine with him.

The DMK candidate in that area, I believe, is A. Raja of 2G fame.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this irritating habit of KL drivers - they sneak up behind you to near-touching distance, honk like mad, and if you do not let them pass they'll overtake you from whichever side possible - even if it is the left side, and even if they have to drive on the shoulder. And then they'll cut in front of you in a dangerous fashion - usually you have to brake to ensure no damages.

Last edited by binand : 21st April 2014 at 06:29.
Old 21st April 2014, 07:45   #6731
BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, I forgot to mention this irritating habit of KL drivers - they sneak up behind you to near-touching distance, honk like mad, and if you do not let them pass they'll overtake you from whichever side possible - even if it is the left side, and even if they have to drive on the shoulder. And then they'll cut in front of you in a dangerous fashion - usually you have to brake to ensure no damages.
This route (Kerala - Mys / Ooty) is quite famous or rather infamous for party drive of youngsters (mostly bachelors) with a rented car enjoying their holidays.
Hence Rash driving of these youths are quite expected along with the usually intolerant 'Mallus'!
Old 21st April 2014, 08:52   #6732
Senior - BHPian

I'd visited Kerala and returned yesterday. Used the AH47/7 route. The roads have improved a lot.

The exciting part: I'd got to know from unconfirmed sources the speed limit between Trichur to Ernakulam has been raised to 90kph!

Vadekkenchery to L&T toll road start is somewhat bumpy. There are smaller speed breakers after the L&T road ends till the 4-lane starts. Though there are sign boards, this are pretty small and located quite close to the speed breakers. Hence its really important to keep an eye on the road-side and median to watch out for these signs.

The only part to note is that you've got to stick to the tarmac portion. I was overtaking a bus near hosur, where there was a fly-over construction in progress; the bus suddenly swerved to the left for some unknown reasons and I had no other way except to move to the left to avoid being hit. Two of my wheels ended up on the rough non tarmac patch. Nothing seemed to have happened but after sometime, I heard some noise from the rear. I stopped the car to investigate and found a flat tire (rear left).

Upon removal, I realized it had torn on the inner portion of the side wall. :

I replaced with the spare tire and continued to Bangalore.

Last edited by nitinbose : 21st April 2014 at 08:59.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 10:05   #6733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The exciting part: I'd got to know from unconfirmed sources the speed limit between Trichur to Ernakulam has been raised to 90kph!
It's the law now. Check the Kerala MVD notification:

http://www.keralamvd.gov.in/images/m...2014/20-14.pdf

Quote:
There are smaller speed breakers after the L&T road ends till the 4-lane starts. Though there are sign boards, this are pretty small and located quite close to the speed breakers. Hence its really important to keep an eye on the road-side and median to watch out for these signs.
The trick is to keep an eye on the vehicles ahead of you. So you won't be caught by surprise, and you get enough time to safely and comfortably reduce speed instead of hard braking when you see the '30km' or the hump signboard.
Old 21st April 2014, 10:26   #6734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
This route (Kerala - Mys / Ooty) is quite famous or rather infamous for party drive of youngsters (mostly bachelors) with a rented car enjoying their holidays.
I suppose all those who earlier did this sort of pleasure trip to Karnataka are now opting for Tamil Nadu instead, since this menace has nearly stopped in the Gundlupet-Sultan Battery route at least.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13120...ax-hit-tourism
Old 21st April 2014, 10:46   #6735
BHPian

Quote:
And sometimes they pay the price and put others also in danger. Witnessed a live accident while returning from Calicut this Friday. For people who know the road, it happened at the Karnataka check-post, just after the bridge over Noolpuzha. I was driving my XUV and suddenly find an i10 coming at break neck speed, in my rear view mirror. Not wanting to put myself or my car in danger's way, I move to the side to let him pass, even though it was on the small bridge. The next thing I see is he panics seeing the ~70 degree left hander and the check-post, also a Figo in the opposite direction. He was already on the right side of the road, stood on the brakes, no ABS, the car skids and goes straight, hits the poor Figo on it's right side. A very sad person emerges from the Figo and checks that his wife is OK. The morons in the i10 gets out, looking at the sky. Luckily, the KA police at the check-post sees everything and scolds the i10 guys. The vacation of the poor Figoites ends in disaster. Luckily, everybody was OK and I moved on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks