Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 21:21   #7471
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Please bear in mind that Nijaguna is the last decent hotel that you'd come across before reaching Annur, and their restaurant opens only at 6 o'clock.
Its actually great to note that the restaurant opens at 6. I never expected that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Thank you, good to know that you have "been there..done that"

What is the best route to take from Sathyamangalam? There is no need to touch Avinashi? How much time would Chamarajnagar-Annur take and the overall journey to Kochi?
- No restrictions on Dimbam. Its open all the time. But not advisable at night or dark hours.
- Best route : Annur-Avinashi-Palladam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 21:49   #7472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala
perhaps be better to go via Avinashi because the Vanjipalayam railway overbridge is reportedly complete and is no longer a bottleneck.
Yes. I prefer the Avinashi->Palladam route as I just came via this road two days back. Vanjipalayam ROB is complete and fully functional. So what would be the better route to reach Avinashi? Annur->Avinashi or Sevur->Avinashi??

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
Please bear in mind that Nijaguna is the last decent hotel that you'd come across before reaching Annur, and their restaurant opens only at 6 o'clock.
Are you sure on this one? Because when we tried breakfast at this place nearly a year and a half back they opened the counters some where between 0730Hrs to 0800Hrs. Due to this even during the last trip towards Calicut we decided to skip Nijaguna as we crossed Chamarajanagar by around 0715Hrs. I have been a regular patron of Nijaguna Residency other wise.
Old 10th September 2014, 23:05   #7473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best route to take from Sathyamangalam? There is no need to touch Avinashi? How much time would Chamarajnagar-Annur take and the overall journey to Kochi?
Ampere has answered your first question.

For the Sathyamangalam route, budget an extra hour or two, compared to the NH7-NH47 route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its actually great to note that the restaurant opens at 6. I never expected that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Are you sure on this one? Because when we tried breakfast at this place nearly a year and a half back they opened the counters some where between 0730Hrs to 0800Hrs.
I am pretty sure that I got it right. And we're usually their first customers for the day. Once, we pulled in at 5:30 in their parking lot, and slept till 6 o'clock inside the car itself. The catch is, by the time you're served some food, it'll be at least 6:30 ;-)

Last edited by silversteed : 10th September 2014 at 23:08.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:21   #7474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Yes. I prefer the Avinashi->Palladam route as I just came via this road two days back. Vanjipalayam ROB is complete and fully functional. So what would be the better route to reach Avinashi? Annur->Avinashi or Sevur->Avinashi??
Never tried the Puliampatti-Sevur-Avinashi road since I've always gone to Karumathampatti and hence taken the Annur route. But I think it is worth taking a chance since the distance is only around 20 kms or so and you need to drive an extra 15 kms or so if you go via Annur to Avinashi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
For the Sathyamangalam route, budget an extra hour or two, compared to the NH7-NH47 route.
And hour of two extra is a gross overestimate in my experience. I have been taking NH209 almost all the time when going to Kerala for around 3-4 years now, and it has always taken me between 4.5 hours to 4 hrs 45 minutes to get to Karumathampatti from NICE road / Kanakapura road junction. I think the time taken when travelling via NH7/47 wouldn't be too much different.
Old 11th September 2014, 00:34   #7475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
And hour of two extra is a gross overestimate in my experience. I have been taking NH209 almost all the time when going to Kerala for around 3-4 years now, and it has always taken me between 4.5 hours to 4 hrs 45 minutes to get to Karumathampatti from NICE road / Kanakapura road junction. I think the time taken when travelling via NH7/47 wouldn't be too much different.
My experience is a little different. Perhaps, since I (can) drive faster on the 4-lane highways, I take lesser time to reach Karumathampatty if I start at the same time as I do for the Chamrajanagara route. The other reasons for the extra hour or so that we take are because we take it slow on the ghats to enjoy the view while descending, and the longer breakfast break at Nijaguna.
Old 11th September 2014, 09:39   #7476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we can start by 4:00am or even 3:00am. The thought of driving through sathyamangalam forest during early morning hours is playing in my mind. Is there a check-post there? Any time restriction? Even if we end up spending an hour more, I am game if the roads are smooth.

The other issue is early morning tipper truck menace in Nice road-Kanakpura stretch.
The NH209 and the forest route are clearly demarcated. This route is open 24x7 365 days in a year. Remember the Sathy route is the hotline route between Mysore and Erode as regards to export of turmeric from Erode
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:40   #7477
BHPian

Thank you everyone, I am going to give it a try on Oct 2nd.

For a 3:00am start, break at Nijaguna is not essential. Is the next halt option Annur only? What if we were to take the Sevur option?
Old 11th September 2014, 11:29   #7478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the next halt option Annur only? What if we were to take the Sevur option?
Sathy has Hotel Ram Vilas. That should also be a good option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 13:24   #7479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a 3:00am start, break at Nijaguna is not essential. Is the next halt option Annur only? What if we were to take the Sevur option?
You may start at 4 o'clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sathy has Hotel Ram Vilas. That should also be a good option.
If you're talking about the Ram Vilas hotel right opposite to Sathy police station, I didn't find the rest rooms so great - good enough for bachelors, but not so good for family folks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:10   #7480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
For Bangalore to Tvm drive via NH 7, planning to start at 1 PM from Bangalore, so as to reach Nagercoil by around 10 PM and avoid the heavy traffic on Nagercoil - Tvm stretch.

Is the travel timing planned good, or I will have to encounter additional traffic at the likes of toll booths, Salem etc due to this?
Hi, any advice on the proposed timings for the trip?
Old 11th September 2014, 15:41   #7481
BHPian

Bangalore to Wayanadu

Planning to visit 2 resorts Jungle Retreat and The Four Seasons in Wayanadu after backing out from Kabini River Inn because of the prohibitive costs; this is for December before X'mas. Couple questions (A) Road to Wayanadu- which option is better, road conditions, scenery... (1) Via Kanakapura to Somnathapura to Talakkadu to Chamrajnagar (Halt) to Wayanadu Four seasons (halt) to Jungle Retreat Wayanadu or (2) via Mysore, Hunsur, drive thro' Nagerhole to Kutta to jungle retreat Wayanadu to Four Seasons....

Another connected question if we want to visit Talakkadu and if we choose option 2, how can that be done? Is Nijaguna residency at Chamrajnanagr ok for family stay?

Thanks and cheers
Old 11th September 2014, 15:53   #7482
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't travelled beyond Namakkal on NH7, but a 1PM start from Bangalore would be perfect and there would be no traffic till Selam and beyond. All toll plaza's would be empty.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 16:25   #7483
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Wayanadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Is Nijaguna residency at Chamrajnanagr ok for family stay?
I had stayed at this place nearly two years back. And my stay was really a very short one. We landed up at the place some where around 1900Hrs, and left the next day morning at around 0900Hrs. Our idea was to have a relaxed drive, stay at a decent hotel, have a very lengthy dinner from a good restaurant and have some good relaxed moments. For such a short stay, we could have tried other options or even have continued the drive, but some times I am a bit crazy .

The hotel had a good restaurant and bar, and the rooms were also pretty clean. There is a small lawn and a park for kids so the guests need not remain cooped up in their rooms. Please note that the hotel is priced slightly higher than average, but not as pricey as a full fledged resort or a 5 star hotel. And my understanding is that this may be the best option in Chamrajanagar. The other options are the typical shady lodges you find in every town.

Trip Advisor has a series of reviews of this place. And there are a few reviews (recent ones) which are quite critical about the place as well - more on speed of services and staff attitudes.

Last edited by sachinpk : 11th September 2014 at 16:35.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:38   #7484
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Wayanadu

Quote:
With a 1 PM start I guess you may be reaching Nagarcoil past 10 PM only I guess. Though I have not driven past Madurai on NH 7, from what my friend who takes that route often to TVM you need to budget around 2 hours more.

Also, do make sure you cross Salem before evening rush. That will be the major factor for you. Silkboard to Salem will take around 3 hours 15 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Planning to visit 2 resorts Jungle Retreat and The Four Seasons in Wayanadu after backing out from Kabini River Inn because of the prohibitive costs; this is for December before X'mas. Couple questions (A) Road to Wayanadu- which option is better, road conditions, scenery... (1) Via Kanakapura to Somnathapura to Talakkadu to Chamrajnagar (Halt) to Wayanadu Four seasons (halt) to Jungle Retreat Wayanadu or (2) via Mysore, Hunsur, drive thro' Nagerhole to Kutta to jungle retreat Wayanadu to Four Seasons....

Another connected question if we want to visit Talakkadu and if we choose option 2, how can that be done? Is Nijaguna residency at Chamrajnanagr ok for family stay?
My preferred route for Wayanad is Kanakpura - Mallavalli - Chamarajnagar - Gundulpet - Sultan Battery. However I guess Jungle retreat is located near Thirunelli. In that case route 2 will be best, however I am not sure of road conditions near Kutta. I had traveled via Mysore - Handpost - Kabani JLR route few months back and it was good apart from a small patch where road work was ongoing.

If you want to visit Talakkadu you can opt for Kanakpura - Mallavalli - Towards Shivanasamudra falls (dont take left to the falls from NH 209)- Proceed further from the falls deviations on NH 209 you will see KA tourism sign board marking a right turn for Takalladu.

Once you visit Talakkadu you can visit Somanathapura if you are interested and then proceed to Mysore via Bannur. This will take you to the Mysore ring road junction (Near Colombia Asia hospital), you can proceed towards Wayanad from here or stay in Mysore for the day.

This will give you more stay options and save some distance too.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 20:35   #7485
Senior - BHPian

After being fed up with bad condition of L&T toll roads near Thoppur, I had complained in the govt complaint portal some times back
http://pgportal.gov.in/
To my surprise I got this letter from NHAI today exactly after 2 years of making the complaint. Coincidently the repair works have been started in the stretch. . So request every one to make it a point to raise complaints if you encounter a bad stretch on tolled roads. This portal really works.
Attached Images

Last edited by poloman : 11th September 2014 at 20:52.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed