Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 10:17   #7336
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi,

We did Bangalore-Salem-Dindugal-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily last week. There were no issues. Only some bad patches, but overall great drive.

Any updates on Mysore-Nilmabur-Calicut stretch? Was considering it for a change from our usual Muthanga-Calicut route

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi all

Planning to go to Kerala for the long weekend.
On the return trip I am planning to take the Adoor -> Ranni ->Cumbam -> Theni ->Dindigul -> Bangalore route.

I read in a previous post that landslides have blocked this route. Any update on whether this route is cleared?
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:23   #7337
BHPian

Will be headed to Kottayam tomorrow morning from Bangalore via Kumily and back on Sunday.

I am going empty - anyone who wants to tag along, please PM me.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:06   #7338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
We did Bangalore-Salem-Dindugal-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily last week. There were no issues. Only some bad patches, but overall great drive.
Did you go only up to Kumily or continue on to Kottayam ? Wondering why Google Maps is not recommending the regular NH220 route for Kumily to Kottayam. Its first suggestion is Kumily-Anavilasam-Vagamon-Erattupetta-Palai-Kottayam, and alternate is Kumily-Anavilasam-Elappara-Kuttikkanam and then NH220 to Kottayam from thereon. Seems to avoid the shorter Kumily-Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam stretch altogether. Is it because of road conditions or landslips ?

Quote:
Any updates on Mysore-Nilmabur-Calicut stretch? Was considering it for a change from our usual Muthanga-Calicut route
Roads are extremely bad from Theppekkadu to Gudalur (and within Gudalur town). A lot of places inside the forest you have to crawl at < 5 kmph for lack of adequate pothole-free road space.

Condition of roads on the Muthanga-Kalpetta-Calicut route is way better even with the Kalpetta-Vythiri-Lakkidi stretch having developed some potholes off an on.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 11:08   #7339
BHPian

Folks heading to Cherai Beach tomorrow. Planning to start late night around 3 AM from Bangalore. Is the below route the best option currently. I plan to reach Mangalam early morning around 8 AM. So rest of the drive would be during the day.

Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-(NH47) Mannuthy-Aluva-Kochi.

I would avoid Aluva and using this route.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/@10.82...ccf6dd926dc3f2

Is the above route a good option. i am hoping to reach within 11 hours.

Last edited by Dushie : 27th August 2014 at 11:10.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:14   #7340
BHPian

Thank you Kala. I did not go beyond Kumily. We had a 3 night stay at Ramakkalmedu and 2 nights at Thekkady. Visited Idukki dam, Anchuruli, Vagamon and Gavi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Did you go only up to Kumily or continue on to Kottayam ? Wondering why Google Maps is not recommending the regular NH220 route for Kumily to Kottayam. Its first suggestion is Kumily-Anavilasam-Vagamon-Erattupetta-Palai-Kottayam, and alternate is Kumily-Anavilasam-Elappara-Kuttikkanam and then NH220 to Kottayam from thereon. Seems to avoid the shorter Kumily-Vandiperiyar-Kuttikkanam stretch altogether. Is it because of road conditions or landslips ?

Roads are extremely bad from Theppekkadu to Gudalur (and within Gudalur town). A lot of places inside the forest you have to crawl at < 5 kmph for lack of adequate pothole-free road space.

Condition of roads on the Muthanga-Kalpetta-Calicut route is way better even with the Kalpetta-Vythiri-Lakkidi stretch having developed some potholes off an on.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:23   #7341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Thank you Kala. I did not go beyond Kumily. We had a 3 night stay at Ramakkalmedu and 2 nights at Thekkady. Visited Idukki dam, Anchuruli, Vagamon and Gavi.
If you went to Gavi, I'd think you would have either taken the Kumily-Vandiperiyar section of NH220 if you went from Kumily or the Kuttikkanam-Vandiperiyar section if you came from Vagamon. Was the condition of those stretches (either one) that bad ?
Old 27th August 2014, 11:53   #7342
BHPian

Before Vandiperiyar there was a left to the checkpost from where the forest department mini bus operates. The roads were in great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you went to Gavi, I'd think you would have either taken the Kumily-Vandiperiyar section of NH220 if you went from Kumily or the Kuttikkanam-Vandiperiyar section if you came from Vagamon. Was the condition of those stretches (either one) that bad ?
Old 27th August 2014, 11:57   #7343
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a much awaited road update:

Cochin - Thrissur - Palghat - Coimbatore - Salem - Chennai - Pondicherry - Ulundurpet - Salem - Coimbatore - Palghat - Thrissur - Cochin

Total Distance covered - 1499.8 kms (includes local commute)
Total Toll - Rs.877

Here's a pic of the revised toll rate Salem - Ulundurpet section. Most of the tolls will have a revised rate from Sept 1st.

All Roads to Kerala-20140827_064752.jpg

I had planned on the Pollachi route but since I had to drop my cousin, decided to stick with the Thrissur - Palghat - Coimbatore stretch.

There's four lane work going on but a lot to go. The stretch after Kuthiran till Palghat is bad and is filled with potholes. No patch work here. Only between Vadakancherry you will find patched roads. I wouldnt say it's as bad as what it was couple of years back but still it's a spine breaking ride.

Some points that will be useful:

Cochin - Chennai:
1) If you plan to leave Cochin city during late hours, there's a deviation through ICT road which will take you to some B roads. Expect a lot of trucks and traffic even during odd hours.
2) Night drive through Thrissur - Palghat will be better if you want to avoid slow moving traffic but watch out for the roads.
3) Walayar - Coimbatore remains the same but now filled with more potholes.
4) After Avinashi it's heaven as always.
5) There are two exits to Chennai. One is 10 kms before Salem town which is a B road and the other is the one you take the flyover to Salem town. I would recommend the B road as it's shorter.
6) Salem - Ulundurpet section is good and empty but many sections are 2 lane roads. Traffic is similar to L&T toll road but roads are way better.
7) Then it's good all the way to Chennai but after Chengalpet, it's crowded all the way to the city.

Chennai - Pondicherry:
1) Took ECR and the roads are all good all the way to Pondicherry. No 4 lane roads here but very less traffic.
2) Do watch out for bad overtakings at blind curves. Make sure you slow down when you see a blind curve. Never know what's comng from the other side.

Pondicherry - Cochin:
1) The same route but time taken was a lot this time since I passed Kerala during rush hour.
2) Expect the traffic to be really slow during the daytime and the dust is as thick as fog.
3) Lost around 1.5 hours thanks to a truck accident near vadakanchery and another one in Kuthiran.

Time Taken:
Cochin - Chennai
Start Time - 4am
Reached Tambaram - 1pm
45 min break for breakfast
Eatouts - Hotel Aryas, Perundurai (recommended)

Chennai - Pondicherry
Start Time - 10.30am (Anna Nagar)
End time - 2pm (Club Mahindra, Pondicherry)
30 min break for lunch
Eatouts - Hotel Mamalla, Mahabalipuram (recommended)

Pondicherry - Cochin
Start Time - 10am
End time - 7pm
30 min break for lunch, 1.5 hours of traffic hold up due to the accident.
Eatouts - Dosa Point just after L&T toll (not recommended)

I shall be uploading the videos soon.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 13:28   #7344
BHPian

Need help - Wayanad to Aleppey

Hi guys ,

Need help on these routes, looking for the best routes.

1) Wayanad to Guruvayoor - Is it best to go through calicut or take a deviation from thamarassery.
2) Guruvayoor to Alappuzha
3) Alappuzha to Wayanad

Travelling tomorrow so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:03   #7345
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help - Wayanad to Aleppey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
1) Wayanad to Guruvayoor - Is it best to go through calicut or take a deviation from thamarassery.
3) Alappuzha to Wayanad
1. No questions. Just go through Calicut (the city has a good bypass). NH 17 throughout till Edappal then Kunnamkulam > Guruvayur. If you are familiar with the roads then you have an option after Calicut University which goes: Chelari > Tirur > Chamravattom > Ponnani.

2. Hit NH 17 at Chavakkad, all the way till Edappally junction, go straight through, Aroor Bridge, NH 47 till Alappuzha. Depending on the time of day, Edappally junction could be a nightmare. Getting across Kochi is a painful experience anyway. Alternately go to Thrissur and catch NH 47 from there - longer but quicker, I'd say.

3. Return via the same route.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:14   #7346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help - Wayanad to Aleppey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Hi guys ,

Need help on these routes, looking for the best routes.

3) Alappuzha to Wayanad

Travelling tomorrow so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Route is as Binand mentioned. Just an additional point. There is an article in the paper on the Calicut by-pass getting cameras operational. So be a little careful on the by-pass. Am sure the traffic cops will be eager to show the benefit of the cameras and will be closely watching.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 17:05   #7347
BHPian

Quote:
No questions. Just go through Calicut (the city has a good bypass). NH 17 throughout till Edappal then Kunnamkulam > Guruvayur. If you are familiar with the roads then you have an option after Calicut University which goes: Chelari > Tirur > Chamravattom > Ponnani.
Still better. Drive as suggested through Calicut.
Thou there is a route from Sultan Bathery via Nadugani, its in bad condition.

From kozhikode continue upto Edapal. After Edapal go straight 1 km, you will reach Naduvattam, take a right. Drive till you reach Attani, then take left towards Puthanpalli Jaram, after that continue to Vadekkekad, to Guruvayoor.

This is a more picturesque route. You can stop at a place before Attani for lunch, its a bamboo hut restaurant. They serve good nadan food, like rabbit, duck, etc. I have been here, its pretty good.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 27th August 2014 at 17:06.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:01   #7348
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the videos:

Coimbatore - Walayar

Walayar

Walayar - Palghat (You can see the cops doing a random check. Luckily I wasnt caught for speeding)

Palghat - Thrissur 1

Palghat - Thrissur 2

Palghat - Thrissur 3

Palghat - Thrissur 4

Vadakanchery Traffic 1

Vadakanchery Traffic 2

Kuthiran

naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:19   #7349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here are the videos:
Looks like the kuthiran stretch is far better comapred to CBE-Walayar stretch. Of course traffic seems to be on the higher side courtesy the lorries.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:23   #7350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
From kozhikode continue upto Edapal. After Edapal go straight 1 km, you will reach Naduvattam, take a right. Drive till you reach Attani, then take left towards Puthanpalli Jaram, after that continue to Vadekkekad, to Guruvayoor.

This is a more picturesque route. You can stop at a place before Attani for lunch, its a bamboo hut restaurant. They serve good nadan food, like rabbit, duck, etc. I have been here, its pretty good.
Thanks for this. The route via Athani was the preferred route in my childhood - I think there is another approach from Chamravattam too?

As for rabbit - it is off the menus of Kerala restaurants, as reported in vernacular newspapers a few days back. Here is an English version:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/14081...htering-kerala

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks