Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 10:30   #7381
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Hope this image helps.
Thanks. I am aware of this section which you have shown in the map . Reason, I use this same route when I suspect Attibele toll booth to be clogged up. I was interested in the route between TVS Factor, Rayakottai, Palacode and Dharmapuri. So that I can avoid the nasty Krishnagiri toll as well.

Any way for this drive I may be proceeding towards Kozhikode Rural Dt., so the route would be via Kanakapura.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:38   #7382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Thanks. I am aware of this section which you have shown in the map . Reason, I use this same route when I suspect Attibele toll booth to be clogged up. I was interested in the route between TVS Factor, Rayakottai, Palacode and Dharmapuri. So that I can avoid the nasty Krishnagiri toll as well.

Any way for this drive I may be proceeding towards Kozhikode Rural Dt., so the route would be via Kanakapura.
Hope this helps. I have been on this route before. Rayakottai-krishnagiri road is a treat to drive. The first 1 km or so has narrow roads. Then you get good 2 lane roads to drive

All Roads to Kerala-avoid-krishnagiri-toll.jpg
Old 1st September 2014, 10:58   #7383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this helps. I have been on this route before. Rayakottai-krishnagiri road is a treat to drive. The first 1 km or so has narrow roads. Then you get good 2 lane roads to drive

Attachment 1281152
Suresh, There is no point in taking Rayakottai-Krishnagiri route unless traveling to Chennai. Its a long detour and Krishnagiri toll will be crowded with both Chennai and Salem bound traffic.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:13   #7384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Suresh, There is no point in taking Rayakottai-Krishnagiri route unless traveling to Chennai. Its a long detour and Krishnagiri toll will be crowded with both Chennai and Salem bound traffic.
I agree with what you have said. For people proceeding toward chennai, they can take the rayakottai-krishnagiri route.
For people proceeding towards salem and beyond, they can take the following 2 options

1. Go Via Rayakottai-Palacode and then touch Thoppur
2. Go Via Rayakottai-Krishnagiri route till you reach NH7. Then take a right turn to proceed towards Thoppur.

Time wise i guess both the routes should be the same. In the former, you get to drive on a major portion of 4 lane roads post krishnagiri toll while in the latter, you have to drive on 2 lane roads till Thoppur.

But the common point in both the routes is YOU AVOID PAYING TOLL AT KRISHNAGIRI.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 11:24   #7385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Go Via Rayakottai-Krishnagiri route till you reach NH7. Then take a right turn to proceed towards Thoppur.

Time wise i guess both the routes should be the same. In the former, you get to drive on a major portion of 4 lane roads post krishnagiri toll while in the latter, you have to drive on 2 lane roads till Thoppur.

But the common point in both the routes is YOU AVOID PAYING TOLL AT KRISHNAGIRI.
Rayakottai-Thoppur is 74 kms (50 kms two lane)
Rayakottai-Krishnagiri-Thoppur is 104 kms (30 kms two lane)
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 12:25   #7386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not necessarily. You can do Salem-Perundurai-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad. You can take the 4-lane till Avinashi and then exit.

Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Trichur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-MVPA-Thodupuzha-Vagamon.

Only question is how is traffic and condition on MC road.
Thanks. I hope the extra kms of around 25-30kms in each of the above routes will be worth it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha was quite good when I was in this part of the world in April.

Any good veg restaurant options on route ? Say at Angamaly or Perumbavoor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardanto View Post
Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha was excellent except for the Kalady Bridge when I traveled two weeks back.

While driving from Thodupuzha to Wagamon, don't follow the default route google map provides. My brother took that route a few of months back and it was a painful drive. After the recent rains the road might have deteriorated further. From Thodupuzha head to Erattupetta via Muttom and drive to Wagamon from there. See the route link below.
Took note of your suggestion for diversion via Erattupetta. The google map shows a route via Arakulam and Vadakkekara which I presume you are suggesting to avoid ?
Old 1st September 2014, 14:45   #7387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

Took note of your suggestion for diversion via Erattupetta. The google map shows a route via Arakulam and Vadakkekara which I presume you are suggesting to avoid ?
Yes, that route is the one I am suggesting to avoid. The route via Erattupetta is the standard route to Vagamon. Till Muttom you get smooth wide roads. After Muttom, the road narrows a bit, but pretty much okay.
Old 1st September 2014, 22:56   #7388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal - Good roads, sparse traffic.
Kollegal-Ch. Nagar - Goes through some small villages where the road is barely 1 bus wide. Otherwise good.
Ch. Nagar-Gundlupet - Rough road, advisable to stay below 60 kmph.
Any good petrol pumps in this route which also has good toilet facilities? The usual pit stop for us was at Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajanagar. But this time we may cross that point before they open up for breakfast.
Old 1st September 2014, 23:38   #7389
BHPian

Just did Bangalore - cochin, Cochin Bangalore over the last 4 days, Took the much recommended Bangalore-Selam-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad Trissur-Ernakulam while going to Kerala and the roads were a breeze.

However while coming back, took the walayar route, The roads are in pathetic condition bundled with heavy traffic and intense rain. So folks driving down on the weekend take the first route as mentioned in my post.

Hope this helps!
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:41   #7390
BHPian

Has anyone travelled on this route recently like say in the past 1-2 months.

Bangalore -> Salem -> Madurai -> Tenkasi ->Thenmala-> Punalur

I have done this route multiple times and love it for the drive and the scenery. But would like to know the road condition post the rains. Especially the Thenmala stretch. Am planning to drive the coming week.

FundaG
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:00   #7391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Has anyone travelled on this route recently like say in the past 1-2 months.

Bangalore -> Salem -> Madurai -> Tenkasi ->Thenmala-> Punalur

I have done this route multiple times and love it for the drive and the scenery. But would like to know the road condition post the rains. Especially the Thenmala stretch. Am planning to drive the coming week.

FundaG
That's my usual route too, driving to Kollam. I drove on the last week of July. Roads were good then. Its been raining heavily after that, and I'm expecting roads to be bad in the Aryankavu-Punalur-Kottarakkara stretch (not confirmed though). I also will be driving on Friday along the same route.
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:24   #7392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update:

Drove to Kottayam from Kochi on two consecutive days.
On the first day, I took MC Road from and I regretted it later.

The next day, I went through Cherthala- Kumarakom- Kottayam.
This was a much sensible route though bit narrow in patches near Kumarakom area.

However, the roads are in good shape.

MC road, I heard is best avoided all through due to the craters bestowed by monsoons
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:00   #7393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
That's my usual route too, driving to Kollam. I drove on the last week of July. Roads were good then. Its been raining heavily after that, and I'm expecting roads to be bad in the Aryankavu-Punalur-Kottarakkara stretch (not confirmed though). I also will be driving on Friday along the same route.
Any possibility of sending a update or PM once you reach home. I am planning to travel on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

MC road, I heard is best avoided all through due to the craters bestowed by monsoons
Believe that should be till Chengannur, right. Cos the MC road from Chengannur to TVM is usually in good condition at all times. Though its been 4-5 months since I drove in that stretch, still I dont think it would be that deteriorated.

FundaG
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:04   #7394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Quick update:

Drove to Kottayam from Kochi on two consecutive days.
On the first day, I took MC Road from and I regretted it later.
Dhanush, MC road from where?
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:57   #7395
BHPian

MC road from Muvattupuzha to Kottayam is completely damaged. I guess conditions will be similar from Kottayam to Chengannur.

Take the route from via Uzhavoor - Kidangoor to Kottayam. From Kottayam take the Puthupally-Thengana-Tiruvalla route. These routes will completely bypass Ettumanoor,Kottayam and Changanasserry towns which are major traffic bottlenecks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks