Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 19:11   #7591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Arun Bro

No point driving through SH17 if Mysore is not the destination.

Take Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet. Roads are good throughout and has sparse traffic. Food stop can be at Nijaguna Residency, Chamrajnagar.

But this being a curvy 2 lane highway through rural roads, modest speeds(70-80 kmph) suggested.
Thanks Ram! They have decided to do this trip in two stages with a stay in Mysore.
Old 28th September 2014, 12:40   #7592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No, never travelled that way so far.

Have been planning to give it a try the next time I go towards Cochin side - but not sure when it's going to be.

Puliampatti ~ Sevur ~ Avinashi stretch was good all along, would say another typical Tamil Nadu road.

I travelled yesterday through Tamilnadu on my trip from Bangalore to Thrissur and was lucky enough to cross Pollachi before 10:00 AM. Got to know about yesterday evening incidents all over Tamilnadu. As several other members suggested I would also recommend folks travelling to Kerala to avoid highways in Tamilnadu if possible. Though Gundulupet ~ Gudalur ~ Nilambur would slow you down but seems to be the safe option.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 10:12   #7593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Puliampatti ~ Sevur ~ Avinashi stretch was good all along, would say another typical Tamil Nadu road.
That is good news indeed! We plan to take this road in the trip planned for this week. Touchwood !!

Quote:
Though Gundulupet ~ Gudalur ~ Nilambur would slow you down but seems to be the safe option.
Please note Gudallur is part of TN . And on Saturday evening there has been minor law and order problems in that area. The best route to avoid TN completely would be the Gundlupet->Muthanga->Sulthan Bathery->Thamarassery and beyond..

Looks like normalcy is returning to TN. I saw a TN SRTC bus from Trichy on its way to Bangalore, this morning. With a new CM all set to take charge, things should be all right pretty soon.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:38   #7594
Senior - BHPian

BTW, regular drivers on the Attibele-Krishnagiri-Salem route? What is your gut feeling about traffic situation on Thursday morning? From what my friends told me, last year the Dusserah season was a nightmare and people got caught up in the toll booths even at 0400Hrs at Attibele (and Krishnagiri as well).

It is a four day holiday coming up this week. But I know lots of people who have already left Bangalore last Friday (as schools etc. are closed). So now in a confused mind. I am expecting a mad rush on Sunday so perhaps may take the Sathyamangalam route.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:02   #7595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
nightmare and people got caught up in the toll booths even at 0400Hrs at Attibele (and Krishnagiri as well).

I am expecting a mad rush on Sunday so perhaps may take the Sathyamangalam route.
Even on normal weekends I have seen that Attibele toll booth will have long queues after 04.30 AM or so. For me if I cross silk board before 04.00 AM there will be hardly couple of vehicles, however on crossing after 04.00 AM there will be considerable increase in vehicles.

For a extended weekend things should be bad.

Same for return, Krishnagiri & Attibele toll booths will be packed by evening. I have stopped taking this route on long weekends after getting stuck at toll booths couple of years back (~ 45 mins at Krishnagiri & 1 hour plus at Attibele).

Once I took Sathamanglam route, however thanks to a truck breakdown at one of the harirpin bend got stuck for around 2 hours.

Now days I try to arrange leave for one additional day and travel on Monday
Old 29th September 2014, 12:07   #7596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, regular drivers on the Attibele-Krishnagiri-Salem route? What is your gut feeling about traffic situation on Thursday morning? From what my friends told me, last year the Dusserah season was a nightmare and people got caught up in the toll booths even at 0400Hrs at Attibele (and Krishnagiri as well).

It is a four day holiday coming up this week. But I know lots of people who have already left Bangalore last Friday (as schools etc. are closed). So now in a confused mind. I am expecting a mad rush on Sunday so perhaps may take the Sathyamangalam route.
Which is your destination. If it is salem and beyond, then go via Attibele, Hosur, Rayakottai,Palacode by pass and Thoppur.
If you wish to go to Coimbatore, then i would suggest to go via Attibele, Hosur, Rayakottai,Palacode by pass,Thoppur,Mettur,Ammapettai and Sathy.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:14   #7597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Which is your destination. If it is salem and beyond, then go via Attibele, Hosur, Rayakottai,Palacode by pass and Thoppur.
I am proceeding towards Kerala. I have the Attibele-TVS Road-Rayakottai-Palacode route marked in Map My India. So I can bye-pass the toll booths at Attibele and Krishnagiri.

As of today I plan to try out this route as it may help me on my return trip. I plan to start back on Sunday morning. If I start early and if my family finds it okay, I may try the Sathyamangalam route (via Avanashi->Sevur->Puliyampatti). If I start late, I may have to fall back on the NH47 route only mainly because I can go at a higher speed. In that case my route knowledge of Palacode-Rayakottai would help. I am pretty much sure that Krishnagiri and Attibele toll would be a night mare to cross on a Sunday, especially when a long week end getting over.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:30   #7598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am proceeding towards Kerala. I have the Attibele-TVS Road-Rayakottai-Palacode route marked in Map My India. So I can bye-pass the toll booths at Attibele and Krishnagiri.

As of today I plan to try out this route as it may help me on my return trip. I plan to start back on Sunday morning. If I start early and if my family finds it okay, I may try the Sathyamangalam route (via Avanashi->Sevur->Puliyampatti). If I start late, I may have to fall back on the NH47 route only mainly because I can go at a higher speed. In that case my route knowledge of Palacode-Rayakottai would help. I am pretty much sure that Krishnagiri and Attibele toll would be a night mare to cross on a Sunday, especially when a long week end getting over.
Can you be more specific as to where in kerala?. if it is Kochi and beyond, then i would suggest this route

Via Attibele,Hosur,Rayakottai,Palacode bypass,Thoppur,Omalur,
Tharamangalam,Sankagiri,Erode,Kangeyam,Palladam,Po llachi.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:32   #7599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Can you be more specific as to where in kerala?. if it is Kochi and beyond, then i would suggest this route
I would be mostly covering KL9 and KL8 districts
Old 29th September 2014, 19:14   #7600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Same for return, Krishnagiri & Attibele toll booths will be packed by evening. I have stopped taking this route on long weekends after getting stuck at toll booths couple of years back (~ 45 mins at Krishnagiri & 1 hour plus at Attibele).

Attibelle and Thoppur toll booths were packed when I did it last Friday night (~11pm). I think it will be crowded during coming weekend as well.
Old 29th September 2014, 22:47   #7601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Quote:
That is good news indeed! We plan to take this road in the trip planned for this week. Touchwood !!
I also travelled on that road today (Avinashi-Sevur-Puliampatty). Excellent road surface - comparable to NH209 Sathy-Annur stretch. In fact I felt that the road condition was better than the one between Pollachi and Palladam.

Quote:
Looks like normalcy is returning to TN. I saw a TN SRTC bus from Trichy on its way to Bangalore, this morning. With a new CM all set to take charge, things should be all right pretty soon.
Yes - I passed through Tamilnadu in the morning hours today (7AM at Pollachi to around 9:30 AM at Dimbam). Things seem to have settled down and there weren't any issues.
Old 30th September 2014, 01:15   #7602
BHPian

Has anyone traveled through Kanakpura - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore road recently? I wanted to know the condition of the road, I had traveled through this road last during June and it was ok. Could you give me an update please?
Old 30th September 2014, 05:41   #7603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
Has anyone traveled through Kanakpura - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore road recently? I wanted to know the condition of the road, I had traveled through this road last during June and it was ok. Could you give me an update please?
Yes, the stretch from Satyamangalam to Coimbatore via Annur is in very good condition. Others may vouch for the condition of the stretch from kanakpura to Satyamangalam.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:32   #7604
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My uncle is planning to travel to Bangalore on 1st, from Ernakulam. Which route would be better for him to take, the usual salem route or via Calicut?

How is the Shoranur-Nilambur-gudallur route?

Is there any improvement in the Trichur to Coimbatore stretch?

Please suggest a good route that I may suggest him to take.

regards,

Nitin
Old 30th September 2014, 08:11   #7605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
The roads for the entire stretch are in good condition.

Most Viewed