Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 09:09   #7681
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I suppose this was an overnight drive. Hope it was not taxing.
Yes, it was a night drive . Infact, I mostly do night drives as the traffic is sparse and hence is less tiring. One thing to note on this route is, there is some bridge construction happening in pollachi and hence the direct route is closed.
You need to take the palghat route and then there is a deviation which connects to the original route.
I am not sure where exactly is the bridge construction as I am not familiar with the place names in Pollachi but I felt it is almost near pollachi town .
Earlier, there was a service road (kind of) to by pass this but then now, it is closed.

When I reached this place , there was a truck infront and then seeing the blockade, the truck took a side road and I followed.
Luckily, there were some beat cops who saw both of us taking the wrong route and then they "chased" us in their bike and told us about the wrong route. Then he showed me a small cut road (bumpy road) to by pass the area.
Return, when you come towards pollachi, there is a board which talks about this bridge construction and hence you wont miss this but for those who are taking the opposite direction, pls be aware of this.
joecherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 11:21   #7682
BHPian

^^ Near Pollachi Railway Station (before the Railway underpass) also a small signboard was placed on a Bitumen Barrel in the middle of the road, cautioning to deviate. I would suggest to take the deviation, especially for the slow ground clearance cars.

The road has been dug for about 500m near the old unmanned railway line crossing. (it seems that's an abandoned track now?)

Last edited by Twiny : 13th October 2014 at 11:25.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:52   #7683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Pollachi- Crossing across the town of Pollachi was tricky with dug up and uprooted roads which appears to be under construction. Especially near the railway crossing. I feel that I could've by passed the junction but I missed it somehow. Pollachi junction is best avoided if transiting through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
One thing to note on this route is, there is some bridge construction happening in pollachi and hence the direct route is closed.
You need to take the palghat route and then there is a deviation which connects to the original route.
It was discussed about the deviation after Pollachi in page 510, even I had made my comment not to rely on your navigation device for few kms after Pollachi. There is a high probability you will miss the deviation board placed mentioning about the construction work going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
^^ Near Pollachi Railway Station (before the Railway underpass) also a small signboard was placed on a Bitumen Barrel in the middle of the road, cautioning to deviate. I would suggest to take the deviation, especially for the slow ground clearance cars.

The road has been dug for about 500m near the old unmanned railway line crossing. (it seems that's an abandoned track now?)
If I'm not wrong the entire railway stretch from Palakkad Town Railway station is now getting converted to broad gauge from meter gauge.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:08   #7684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
If I'm not wrong the entire railway stretch from Palakkad Town Railway station is now getting converted to broad gauge from meter gauge.
That's correct. But from what I hear, the funds have been allocated but work in Kerala side is delayed/stopped due to the Nokku kooli (pay for NOT doing any work) issues. And the route which I take towards Chandra Nagar from Pollachi (after the Pollachi bus stand etc.) still has a point where the railway line used to cross the road. So after the gauge conversion completes, perhaps we may have a nasty Level Crossing gate out there. Or don't know if they are planning for a road over bridge.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:35   #7685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
That's correct. But from what I hear, the funds have been allocated but work in Kerala side is delayed/stopped due to the Nokku kooli (pay for NOT doing any work) issues. And the route which I take towards Chandra Nagar from Pollachi (after the Pollachi bus stand etc.) still has a point where the railway line used to cross the road. So after the gauge conversion completes, perhaps we may have a nasty Level Crossing gate out there. Or don't know if they are planning for a road over bridge.
I can't believe that INTUC loaders / un-loaders claim Nokku Kooli for jobs undertaken on government tenders ; Kerala is unique in all means.

In all probability the government would retain the gate at level crossing since the rail traffic between Pollachin ~ Palakkad is very minimal and won't warrant a bridge. Earlier it was two passenger trains, one to Pollachi and the other one to Palani doing one to and fro trip a day.

Cheers

Last edited by treadmark : 13th October 2014 at 12:36.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:19   #7686
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam on this 18th . Original plan was on doing Blr- Salem- Coimbatore- Palakkad _-Thrissur- Ekm but on seeing the news on Jayalalitha case coming up in SC on 17th, I am thinking of avoiding TN.

What are the options available and which will be best considering I have a car full of people - me, my wife, 2 kids and parents.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:24   #7687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam on this 18th . Original plan was on doing Blr- Salem- Coimbatore- Palakkad _-Thrissur- Ekm but on seeing the news on Jayalalitha case coming up in SC on 17th, I am thinking of avoiding TN.

What are the options available and which will be best considering I have a car full of people - me, my wife, 2 kids and parents.
I dont expect any major disturbance otherwise president's rule will be enforced in TN. I suppose your's is a KA registered car. And now the verdict will be from the supreme court and not from the Karnataka HC.
With your parents, spouse and kids, going via Mysore,Nilambur may not be a good option as the options for food are very less. Moreover the Nilambur route will be time consuming and this can be taxing for your parents.
Simply stick to the regular salem-coimbatore route.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:36   #7688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark
I can't believe that INTUC loaders / un-loaders claim Nokku Kooli for jobs undertaken on government tenders
This was reported in Mathurbhumi daily around three days back. CITU folks wanted to force the railway contractor to take people from their work force as well. Even when the CITU labour folks are not skilled to do the railway related work. Will try to share the link here.

Quote:
In all probability the government would retain the gate at level crossing since the rail traffic between Pollachin ~ Palakkad is very minimal and won't warrant a bridge. Earlier it was two passenger trains, one to Pollachi and the other one to Palani doing one to and fro trip a day.
Yes, perhaps during the steam era . Palakkad to Pollachi had a steam locomotive till around late 1990s. But when a guage conversion is planned, Railways would have some bigger ideas as well. They may be routing many other trains through this route to bye pass Coimbatore etc. So how many times the gate needs to be closed, we will have to wait and watch.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 17:25   #7689
BHPian

Friends,

Planning a Sabarimala drive this weekend from Bangalore with friends.

Car: Punto 90 HP

Planning to take following routes:

Onward : Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Pamba https://goo.gl/maps/DqZMK

Start by friday afternoon, halt @ Kumily. Start from Kumily by Saturday morning and reach Pamba by noon.
(we do this every year)

For return, I am thinking about taking following option just to drive in a more scenic & different route as the usual one is boring, though fast (Planning sunday early morning start from Pamba)

Pamba-Thrissur-Sathi-Chamrajnagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore https://goo.gl/maps/XMOKQ

Please check the maps link provided above, and advise if this is the best one to take (to bypass palakkad & coimbatore city)?
Also, advise if any of the stretch is bad or to watch out for.
Old 14th October 2014, 19:36   #7690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Please check the maps link provided above, and advise if this is the best one to take (to bypass palakkad & coimbatore city)?
Also, advise if any of the stretch is bad or to watch out for.
Instead do this:

Pamba - Kumily - Theni - Batlagundu - Sempatty - Odanchatram - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Uthukuli - Chengapally - Gobi - Sathy.
Route Link

This avoids full KL and Coimbattore as well. And you get to drive on nice good country roads on TN.

- You exit Theni-Dindigul NH45 and Sempatty
- Both Oddanchatram and Dharapuram have a bypasses. (see attached route)
- At Kangeyam take the Thiruppur road and exit at Padyur (as I gather from maps. Even I dont know this)
- Go towards Uthukuli and cut through GQ at Changapalli towards Gobi, and there on to Sathy.
- Rest is all known.

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2014 at 19:44.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:03   #7691
Senior - BHPian

I did the same last month .
Onwards Banglore-Theni-Mundakayam-Sabarimala.

The road conditions.
Hyderabad-Dindigul- Four laned nothing to really write about except for bypassing Banglore used the route Devanahalli-Hoskote-Hosur.

Dindigul-Theni Roads are in good condition but the town roads narrow down and pot holes have to negotiate them.

Theni-Mudakayam-Sabarimala.
Roads are in good condition. Did not touch Erumeli.

Return

Sabarimala-Aluva.
Upto Kanjirapally good roads. Kanjirapally-Muttom occasion potholes need to negotiate little bad stretches.

Muttom-Aluva-Guruvayoor.
I had to use the route as Kalady bridge was under repair.
Need to ask for directions as the roads are quite busy and Aluva town traffic quite high.
Aluva-Angamaly busy highway and signals with lorry traffic is trouble some.
Anganmaly-Guruvayoor was fine. Only bottlenecks is the Thrissur town.

Guruvayoor-Pollachi-Avinashi.
I started early morning after Nirmalya darshan in Guruvayoor at 4.45 am so it was bliss and very quickly crossed Thrissur from there to Vadakancherry oncoming traffic with high beams and volvos ripping across.
From Vadakancherry-Pollachi-Avinashi. Roads are in good condition. Need to beat the Pollachi town traffic that's the key either early morning or night.

Avinashi-Banglore-Hyderabad.
Four lane all the way.

Hope this helps

Last edited by gajadonga : 14th October 2014 at 21:08.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:25   #7692
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kangeyam - Uthukuli - Chengapally - Gobi - Sathy
- Go towards Uthukuli and cut through GQ at Changapalli towards Gobi, and there on to Sathy.
My 2 cents:
Had done a Bangalore-Gobi-Sathy trip couple months ago. The turn off to Gobi from NH47 is very close to Perundurai just after Hotel Annalakshmi so the next toll (Vijayamangalam I think?) is still ahead by few Km.

So I think, from Kangeyam it would be a good idea to proceed towards Perundurai instead of Uthukuli (these roads are on either side of the bus stand at Kangeyam). In fact from Perundurai if you can get onto the Erode-Gobi road, that will lead first to Gobi and then to Sathy so no need to even merge onto NH47 at Perundurai to take Gobi exit.

This I think will be simpler than going upto Chengapalli and then going towards the Gobi road.
@ampere - not sure if what I'm saying can be traced/routed easily on the map

Last edited by NPV : 14th October 2014 at 21:28.
Old 14th October 2014, 21:30   #7693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@ampere - not sure if what I'm saying can be traced/routed easily on the map

@NPV,

The SH is actually Kangeyam-Gobi and not Perundurai Gobi. The exit road after Annalakshmi (on the Perundurai bypass) actually and goes ahead and meets the Kangeyam-Gobi SH which cuts the 4-lane at Chengapalli. Since you came from Salem side, it made sense to take the Perundurai exit.

So to summarize, it does not make sense to head to Perundurai, when you have the direct SH to Gobi from Kangeyam. And to latch on this SH, you need to be on the Tiruppur road from Kangeyam for quite some distance. But surely in my opinion the Kangeyam-Gobi option is a perfect way to head to Sathy/NH209/Mysore. Cleanly it bypasses Coimbattore.

Last edited by ampere : 14th October 2014 at 21:33.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:49   #7694
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The SH is actually Kangeyam-Gobi and not Perundurai Gobi. The exit road after Annalakshmi (on the Perundurai bypass) actually and goes ahead and meets the Kangeyam-Gobi SH which cuts the 4-lane at Chengapalli. Since you came from Salem side, it made sense to take the Perundurai exit.
Thanks amp for clarifying, I was confused!

I had taken the Erode-Gobi SH15 since I traveled from Bangalore via Salem so this exit was near Chithode.
Since @nfsfreak would be coming from Kangeyam he needs to take the Kangeyam-Gobi SH
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:53   #7695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I had taken the Erode-Gobi SH15 since I traveled from Bangalore via Salem so this exit was near Chithode.
Aha! Thats what even I was thinking. (Why you had to come to Perundurai). You should have exited at Chittode itself. This clarifies it.

Most Viewed