Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 13:55   #8431
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you take the overbridge at Chandranagar when nearing Palakkad, is there a down ramp at the Manappulikavu junction ? Asking since I don't remember seeing one, I remember it going straight above the junction towards the Alathur junction.
AFAIK, the flyover is only for vehicles coming from Alathur side towards Kanjikode (TSR-CBE direction). The other carriageway is at the ground level itself.
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The over-bridge at Chandra Nagar is mainly for vehicles proceeding from Walayar side to Alathur, AND from Alathur side to Walayar.
Are you sure? The flyover didn't seem wide enough for 4 lanes, and only traffic towards Walayar was allowed on the flyover some two weeks ago.

Last edited by silversteed : 6th April 2015 at 14:10.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:53   #8432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over bridge at Chandra Nagar was open for general traffic coming from Thrissur side. I am dead sure because I went on this over bridge.
When I passed that way on the 28th (from Walayar towards Trichur side), I noticed vehicles coming in the opposite side coming on top of the flyover, but there was no entry to the flyover from the Walayar side. But when I returned on the 30th morning, the Flyover was blocked off for traffic from Trichur side also and I had to go through the road below and turn right at Chandranagar junction.

So may be there's still work ongoing on the flyover and they block the traffic off and on ?

Last edited by kala : 6th April 2015 at 14:54.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:29   #8433
BHPian

I am planning to take the Bangalore-Cochin-Trivandrum route this weekend. Have seen that the roads from Coimbatore to Cochin aren't the best in-terms of trucks and traffic.
How is the road from Cochin to Trivandrum? Google Maps shows a route along the coast.
Old 6th April 2015, 17:01   #8434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am planning to take the Bangalore-Cochin-Trivandrum route this weekend. Have seen that the roads from Coimbatore to Cochin aren't the best in-terms of trucks and traffic.
How is the road from Cochin to Trivandrum? Google Maps shows a route along the coast.
Do you need to touch Cochin on the way to Trivandrum ? If that's not a requirement, the Salem-Madurai-Kavalkkinar-Nagercoil-Trivandrum route will be much faster, you should save at least 2-3 hours compared to the NH7/NH47 route via Cochin.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:11   #8435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Do you need to touch Cochin on the way to Trivandrum ? If that's not a requirement, the Salem-Madurai-Kavalkkinar-Nagercoil-Trivandrum route will be much faster, you should save at least 2-3 hours compared to the NH7/NH47 route via Cochin.
Yeah, I have to and will be staying there overnight. Otherwise, its a no-brainer that I should use Salem-Madurai-Ngl route.
Normally I take this route, but have an appointment at Cochin this time around. I will be returning via the Madurai-Salem Route.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:34   #8436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I have to and will be staying there overnight. Otherwise, its a no-brainer that I should use Salem-Madurai-Ngl route.
Normally I take this route, but have an appointment at Cochin this time around. I will be returning via the Madurai-Salem Route.
The road conditions on the Cochin-Trivandrum section of NH47 is decent - with occasional rough patches here and there. Try starting from Cochin early in the morning. Once traffic builds up it can be quite painful to drive through the various small / big towns along the way with lot of slow moving vehicles, autorikshahs etc all around you, and opportunities to pass are very limited since the road is 2 lane and not very broad either in a lot of places.

Unfortunately the alternate option of MC road isn't too much better either, so NH47 (the one along the coast) is probably your best bet.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:21   #8437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to NH 47 from Salem and try to do Kerala section during off peak hours. Take a detour through ICT road or Seaport - Airport road (depends your destination) to avoid metro rail construction areas during night.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:55   #8438
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I saw yesterday. The over-bridge at Chandra Nagar is mainly for vehicles proceeding from Walayar side to Alathur, AND from Alathur side to Walayar. People who want to enter Palakkad town from any direction, need to go under the over-bridge.
Yes, this is my understanding as well and I don't think there is a ramp to get down or up from the Manapullikavu junction, hence my question to @silversteed
Old 8th April 2015, 09:23   #8439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
...I don't think there is a ramp to get down or up from the Manapullikavu junction
I think we are talking about two different flyovers The one at Chandranagar is what I was referring to - traffic towards Kanjikkode take the flyover, and those towards Manappullikkavu/Alathur/Thrissur stay at ground level.

The flyover at Manappullikkavu junction, which is about a km or so after Chandranagar, goes over the junction, and is two-way.
Old 9th April 2015, 03:57   #8440
BHPian

requesting help:

planning a Mysore - Trivandrum route by car towards the end of the month. help needed on the best route ( wouldn't mind a longer route if its good roads)

First time making a long trip ( and that too with family ) and hence worried a bit. planning to start from Mysore by 09:00 AM
Any help is appreciated

onward journey will be from TVM - BLR and planning Thirunelveli - Madurai - BLR route for that

thanks in advance

George
Old 9th April 2015, 07:01   #8441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
requesting help:

planning a Mysore - Trivandrum route by car towards the end of the month. help needed on the best route ( wouldn't mind a longer route if its good roads)

Mysore-T-Narasipura-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Changepalli-Uthukuli-Kangeyam-Arvakurichi- And then NH7 4-lane to TVM

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 07:32   #8442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Mysore-T-Narasipura-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Changepalli-Uthukuli-Kangeyam-Arvakurichi- And then NH7 4-lane to TVM

Route Link
From Kangeyam, will this not be a good option, coming Via Dharapuram and Oddanchatram to NH7??
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 07:38   #8443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
From Kangeyam, will this not be a good option, coming Via Dharapuram and Oddanchatram to NH7??
I initially thought of that too. But then thought why go through more towns. Mulanur-Arvakurichi should be decent enough.
Old 9th April 2015, 13:21   #8444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
AFAIK, the flyover is only for vehicles coming from Alathur side towards Kanjikode (TSR-CBE direction). The other carriageway is at the ground level itself.
EDIT:

Are you sure? The flyover didn't seem wide enough for 4 lanes, and only traffic towards Walayar was allowed on the flyover some two weeks ago.
I took this flyover while going to Bangalore yesterday. Its only for Coimbatore direction and just one way without any other exits.
Old 9th April 2015, 13:30   #8445
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query: Route to Kundara

BUMP here, since other queries and replies eclipsed my query:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Planning to drive from Palakkad to Kundara and back on the coming sunday. Having a dilemma, whether to take the NH47 till Karunagapally and turn off towards Sasthamcotta, or, take the MC Road from Angamaly and go via Kottarakkara. Since I haven't been on the MC Road for a very long time, I am apprehensive of the road conditions.

I would like to visit Chengannur on the way back. Whenever I visit Chengannur, I usually avoid MC Road in the evenings and hit the NH47 at Ambalappuzha or Alappuzha, after turning off the MC Road from Tiruvalla or Changanassery. Is this still a good idea, or are there any suggestions for alternative routes that would reduce the travel time?

The plan is to leave very early from Palakkad, say 3 o'clock, and start the return trip by 2:30-3 in the afternoon. Hoping that an early morning start would help us do the onward trip in under 7 hours.
Anybody?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks