Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:25   #8401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
inspite of losing 2 hours of early morning time, you still managed a driving duration of 7 hrs through the day (local 2 traffic on highways), from cochin to bangalore ? I assume you also had some breakfast break. Were you driving or flying low ?
Yes, there was a breakfast break as well. The roads were empty after coimbatore and was able to manage an healthy average. And yes, I was driving .
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:36   #8402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, there was a breakfast break as well. The roads were empty after coimbatore and was able to manage an healthy average. And yes, I was driving .
Ah. He is overspeeding, I'm just maintaining a healthy average.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:58   #8403
BHPian

I'm driving to Wayanad (just south of Manathavady) tomorrow. Here's what Google maps recommends...

I'm hoping frequent or recent users can guide me on choices between the shown routes. I had read in today's paper that Hunsur Gonikopal road is now tarred, but it does seem longer in this map. Is the recommended road a good road or should I take another?

Last edited by 71Convertible : 2nd April 2015 at 11:03.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:07   #8404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
I'm driving to Wayanad (just south of Manathavady) tomorrow. Here's what Google maps recommends...

I'm hoping frequent or recent users can guide me on choices between the shown routes.
Yes, the default route recommended is the right one. Mysore-Handpost-Bavalli-Katikulam-Manathavady. Roads are great and traffic free, the stretch within the forest is a little rough and narrow. But nothing to be concerned about. Some good views and chances of wildlife spotting are higher than the Gundlepet-Bathery route. It will take approx 2-2.5 hours from Mysore to Manathavady.

Point to note: There is pretty much no family friendly place to stop once you leave Mysore till you reach Kattikulam (which is ~10km before Manathavady). So keep that in mind.

Edit: Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-Manathavady is much longer. Only advantage is that it is open at night. So no reason to take that route unless it is a night drive

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd April 2015 at 11:11.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:58   #8405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
update from my weekend trip

onward
Whitefield 2:50 PM & Reached Chalakudy at 11:50 PM (with 30 mts Dinner break at Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai)
Via NH7, NH47, Pollachi, Nemmara

Return
Chalakudy : 4:20 AM and reached Whitefield at 12:10 AM (with 30 mts breakfast break at Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai)
Via NH47 & NH7

The Omalaur - Tharamangalam - Sankari bypass (https://goo.gl/maps/TzL2o) is now my default route every time; saves 10km and 2 tolls without loosing any time. I covered this bypass in 45 mts exactly in both directions and was faster than cars who took the Salem/full NH route.
Trick is to take the single lane road at the Sankari side and not to get on to Sankari town.

Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai to CHalakudy took 4 hrs while going via Avinashi, Pollachi; but took only 3.25 hrs while coming back via Palakad. Lost a good amount of time crossing Pollachi due to the road/rail work. I was surprised on the condition of the Alathur- Walayar route; only 2 flyover and couple of kilometers work pending. So going forward I will skip Pollachi route mostly

Finally I tried the Bagalur - Chikka Tirupati - Hopefarm route and found that its equally painful with 2 wheelers and tippers. So Given the limited choices, Whitefield -Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur remain my preferred route to get into NH7.

Part of the savings in return trip was due to change in car. I drove a fiesta 1.6 and was much more faster in 4 lane roads between Perundurai and Hosur compared to my Ritz vxi
On the one time I took this route, from Bangalore down, the Sankari end was confusing, and ended up driving the parallel SH 86 through Sankari and a few villages, wasting valuable time. How do I get into the NH directly, coming from Bangalore, and on the return trip, exit the NH at the correct place ?

Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:32   #8406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
On the one time I took this route, from Bangalore down, the Sankari end was confusing, and ended up driving the parallel SH 86 through Sankari and a few villages, wasting valuable time. How do I get into the NH directly, coming from Bangalore, and on the return trip, exit the NH at the correct place ?
I normally take the Omallur route by entering Sankari, while on the way to Bangalore. After the Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic on the left, I stick to the right lane, and take a right turn under the flyover (flyover is only for the lane towards CBE), then turn left on to SH86. It takes about an hour, give or take 10 min, to cover the stretch between Saravana Bhavan and the entry onto NH7 at Omallur.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:44   #8407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ah. He is overspeeding, I'm just maintaining a healthy average.
It is due to the advantage of the early morning start. See another experience below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Chalakudy : 4:20 AM and reached Whitefield at 12:10 AM (with 30 mts breakfast break at Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai)
Via NH47 & NH7
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:25   #8408
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Palakkad by road

I am planning to take the chennai to ernakulam via Tindivanam, Ulundurpet, salem, coimbatore route. Has anyone travelled recently on this stretch? Hor are the roads.
Also is there any other route that you suggest (other than the krishnagiri one) keeping in mind the fact that my mom would be travelling with me apart from Wifey and kid?
I would be driving my Dzire
Old 2nd April 2015, 22:43   #8409
BHPian

This would be a less crowded road if you intend to avoid the Salem routes due to heavy vehicle traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1427994979571.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2015, 03:54   #8410
BHPian

we left ITPL at 6pm yesterday.. We found crazy traffic at hope farm signal and chikka tirupathi (due to a temple procession). We then went to dharmapuri via palacode. Sharp 1 am we crossed walayar and there was absolutely no lorry traffic or hassle.. Infact, I crossed this stretch in 4th gear. We were anticipating some trouble due to the lorry strike but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Road is excellent from walayar till almost palakad.. I would say that 50% of the road from walayar to thrissur is four lane now and less than 10kms is patchy or broken but nothing ugly.. We reached varapuzha side at around 3 am. normally it takes me 3 hours between walayar and varapuzha i.e about 2 hours. This was a really pleasant experience.. Highly recommend this route to anyone.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 05:36   #8411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Road is excellent from walayar till almost palakad.. I would say that 50% of the road from walayar to thrissur is four lane now and less than 10kms is patchy or broken but nothing ugly.. We reached varapuzha side at around 3 am. normally it takes me 3 hours between walayar and varapuzha i.e about 2 hours. This was a really pleasant experience.. Highly recommend this route to anyone.
Good to know about the road from Walayar to Plkd. This was were I used to spend a lot of time when coming from BLORE.
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:20   #8412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
we left ITPL at 6pm yesterday.. We found crazy traffic at hope farm signal and chikka tirupathi (due to a temple procession). We then went to dharmapuri via palacode.
Can you share the route from Bangalore to Dharmapuri? Why did you go via Palacode, is it a better route than Hosur>Dharmapuri? I stay in Marathahalli and looking for a better route to reach Dharmapuri.

Happy to know Walayar>Palakkad is in good shape now. Hope it will not deteriorate with rains.
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:24   #8413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Can you share the route from Bangalore to Dharmapuri? Why did you go via Palacode, is it a better route than Hosur>Dharmapuri? I stay in Marathahalli and looking for a better route to reach Dharmapuri.

Happy to know Walayar>Palakkad is in good shape now. Hope it will not deteriorate with rains.
Firstly, sorry for the formatting errors in my first post. I meant to say walayar to varapuzha usually takes me three hours but this time we did it in two hours or so.
Here are the timings

1.00 am- walayar entry
1.14 am - palakad turn off
2.00 am - hit thrissur 4 lane

Traffic was moderate.

From marathalli I suggest you go via sarjapur and connect to hosur under the flyover. Last evening traffic was backed up on top of the flyover so i took right turn there and then the first major left turn, after about 1 km. We took hosur ring road to rayakotai, palacode and entered the NH at dharmapuri.. We did this to avoid the holiday traffic at krishnagiri toll. I hate waiting idle. This route is shorter and quicker if you anticipate a 15 minute wait at krishnagiri toll.

If there is no traffic on hosur flyover, you would normally take left here and then after a km, take the first major right.

Last edited by ak916 : 3rd April 2015 at 09:31.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:49   #8414
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Palakkad by road

Thanks sunsetorange. Is this a good route - i mean the roads, esp. because I am travelling my aged mother.
I also see that there is no bypass @ Dharmapuram, Pollachi etc. How is the Dharmapuram Pollachi Alathur stretch
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:26   #8415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
A truck toppled at Patikad and the vehicles where lined up from Thrissur all the way to Kuthiran. The accident spot was closed and all vehicles had to take a detour. And saw a lot of this.
All major malayalam news channels were there to cover the lorry strike. Didnt see much action and the check post was functioning as usual with no rush.
From Bangalore side crossed Walayar yesterday at around 1145hours. No traffic blocks or any kind of obstruction created by the truck drivers. Today's local Mathrubhumi edition says that the strike would continue, as the government has not taken any reconciliatory moves. Kerala may face vegetable shortage by Sunday (5th) if this continues. But if the strike gets cancelled on 4th - tomorrow, then I expect a major bottle neck at Walayar. Then Pollachi->Palladam route may be the only way forward.

On the accident part. An LPG tanker truck had toppled side ways. Since it was an LPG tanker, help from the refineries at Cochin had to be brought in. Local media also reported K.P Constables saving the life of a heart-patient who had got stuck up here on this fateful morning.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks