Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2015, 21:52   #8371
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

update from my weekend trip

onward
Whitefield 2:50 PM & Reached Chalakudy at 11:50 PM (with 30 mts Dinner break at Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai)
Via NH7, NH47, Pollachi, Nemmara

Return
Chalakudy : 4:20 AM and reached Whitefield at 12:10 AM (with 30 mts breakfast break at Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai)
Via NH47 & NH7

The Omalaur - Tharamangalam - Sankari bypass (https://goo.gl/maps/TzL2o) is now my default route every time; saves 10km and 2 tolls without loosing any time. I covered this bypass in 45 mts exactly in both directions and was faster than cars who took the Salem/full NH route.
Trick is to take the single lane road at the Sankari side and not to get on to Sankari town.

Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai to CHalakudy took 4 hrs while going via Avinashi, Pollachi; but took only 3.25 hrs while coming back via Palakad. Lost a good amount of time crossing Pollachi due to the road/rail work. I was surprised on the condition of the Alathur- Walayar route; only 2 flyover and couple of kilometers work pending. So going forward I will skip Pollachi route mostly

Finally I tried the Bagalur - Chikka Tirupati - Hopefarm route and found that its equally painful with 2 wheelers and tippers. So Given the limited choices, Whitefield -Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur remain my preferred route to get into NH7.

Part of the savings in return trip was due to change in car. I drove a fiesta 1.6 and was much more faster in 4 lane roads between Perundurai and Hosur compared to my Ritz vxi

Last edited by arjithin : 29th March 2015 at 22:05.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 08:50   #8372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I will be returning from Munnar on April 3rd afternoon and was planning to take Munnar - marayoor- Udumelpet-Pollachi-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vdakkenchery-Thrissur route. Would taking Kollengode-Alathur route avoid the festival traffic?

I would like to stick to the Adimali route if the Kollengode-Vadakkenchery section is going to be too crowded.
I think its better to take Adimali route if you don't have other reasons for Pollachi route. I took Marayoor-Udulalpet-Pollachi route last year (IIRC) during this time and the whole area was dry.

If you are taking Kollengode - Alathur route will bypass Nenmara and distance too remain almost same. You may take a decision once you reach Kollengode.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 09:56   #8373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

The Omalaur - Tharamangalam - Sankari bypass (https://goo.gl/maps/TzL2o) is now my default route every time; saves 10km and 2 tolls without loosing any time. I covered this bypass in 45 mts exactly in both directions and was faster than cars who took the Salem/full NH route.
Trick is to take the single lane road at the Sankari side and not to get on to Sankari town.

Hotel Annalakshmi, Perundurai to CHalakudy took 4 hrs while going via Avinashi, Pollachi; but took only 3.25 hrs while coming back via Palakad. Lost a good amount of time crossing Pollachi due to the road/rail work. I was surprised on the condition of the Alathur- Walayar route; only 2 flyover and couple of kilometers work pending. So going forward I will skip Pollachi route mostly

Finally I tried the Bagalur - Chikka Tirupati - Hopefarm route and found that its equally painful with 2 wheelers and tippers. So Given the limited choices, Whitefield -Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur remain my preferred route to get into NH7.
Could you please explain where to exit NH47 to take the Omallur route and avoid getting into Sankari town? Where does it join NH 7?

Bagalur - Chikka Tirupathi route is longer and not worth it.

How is the condition of the Sarjapur town? Is there any progress on the bypass road?
Old 30th March 2015, 11:04   #8374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Could you please explain where to exit NH47 to take the Omallur route and avoid getting into Sankari town? Where does it join NH 7?
Basically you get into Omalur town. The exit which points to Omalur town from the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 12:06   #8375
Team-BHP Support

Took the Jetta to Cochin and back.

Wonderful roads upto Coimbatore. Approaching Coimbatore - plenty of speed breakers slowing you down. The L&T bypass sucked big time. Palghat to Trichur was frustrating. After Trichur, road was reasonable but I kept to 90km/h due to speed cameras. At Kallamaserry, turned right and reached ERnakulam city centre via the Bolghatty without
any traffic jams.

Return journey was better due to reduced traffic early morning. Left at 6 and was at the Silk Board by 2.30. One breakfast stop for 30min factored in
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 13:10   #8376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Are you headed to bathery or some place else? If your destination is more towards kalpetta side, it would be better to take mysore-hand post- bavalli- kattikulam- mananthavady route to wayanad. You can find detailed descriptions in the last few pages of the Bangalore- calicut thread.
Thanks, destination is vaduvanchal which I guess is closer to Bathery as I remember from my last trip 2 years back. Also, I dont intend to pass through Bandipur and take Muthanga instead as its closer to Bathery
Old 30th March 2015, 13:24   #8377
BHPian

Ffiinnaalllyy:

Phase II work of Kollam bypass from April 10

Quote:
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy will jointly inaugurate the second phase construction work of the Kollam bypass to the National Highway-47 on April 10.

The function in this connection will be held at the Kavanad bypass junction at 10.30 a.m.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7026357.ece

Gadkari to launch Alappuzha bypass construction work
Quote:
Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari will launch the construction of the Alappuzha bypass on April 10. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and other members of the State Cabinet are expected to participate in the function.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7022473.ece

Not hearing much about two other important bypasses on NH-47 these days, Thiruvananthapuram (Phase II and widening) and Attingal. Hopefully, these are not forgotten.
Old 30th March 2015, 13:44   #8378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Thanks, destination is vaduvanchal which I guess is closer to Bathery as I remember from my last trip 2 years back. Also, I dont intend to pass through Bandipur and take Muthanga instead as its closer to Bathery
Yes, I meant the route via Muthanga only. Just got an update from my brother in law who traveled today that the road work has really stepped up on the Gundlepet-Nanjangud stretch. So that stretch will be bothersome
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 16:08   #8379
BHPian

Quote:
IF you are coming from CBE, the straightforward way to get into the Sankari-Tharamangalam-Omalur road is to take the entry into the sankari town at the end of bypass , follow the road into the town and take a right at the first major junction. This way you will not need to go too far into the town. Map below

Name:  20150330_1546.png
Views: 3154
Size:  80.5 KB

There is also another way but that road is a dirt track and shorter. I have seen trucks take it but I have never personally taken it. That road is right off the main highway (like a service road ) except that the entry is not well marked. To get onto that dirt track, Take a left at the intersection marked for Edappadi (before the Tharamangalam road) and take an immediate right into the dirt road. You can find the road in google satellite maps.

Expect moderate traffic in road till omalur as a lot of trucks take this road to avoid the 2 tolls.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 17:20   #8380
BHPian

Re: Malayattoor~Kodanad Bridge Opened

Here is a news clipping from today's Indian Express:
Now that the long awaited Malayattoor-Kodanad Bridge is open to traffic, it is possible to straight away cross the Periyar river from Malayattoor (Famous church) to Kodanad (Elephant Training Centre and a Mini zoo) without going through the bridge at Kalady.
Attached, please see the News paper clipping and a photo of the above bridge and Kodanad taken from Malayattoor Church premises.
Please note that the Google Maps are not yet updated on this development.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-dsc03017.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kodanad Bridge.pdf (607.2 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by philgrac : 30th March 2015 at 17:22.
Old 30th March 2015, 20:01   #8381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I think its better to take Adimali route if you don't have other reasons for Pollachi route. I took Marayoor-Udulalpet-Pollachi route last year (IIRC) during this time and the whole area was dry.

If you are taking Kollengode - Alathur route will bypass Nenmara and distance too remain almost same. You may take a decision once you reach Kollengode.
I was planning to take Marayoor route just to enjoy the scenery. I travelled this route few years back (during monsoons) and it was a wonderful drive.
Not very particular this time if it is going to be dry and hot.
Old 30th March 2015, 20:47   #8382
BHPian

Apologies for the back to back post. The editing time is over.
I am planning to start from Kakkanad by around 5 30 AM on 2nd April. Can I reach Top Station by 10 AM via Kothamangalam-Adimali route? The idea is to reach top station at the earliest (hoping to avoid the weekend rush) and cover the popular spots on the way like Echo point, Mattuppetty Dam etc on the way back. I would like to check in to the resort (Tea Valley near Pothamedu) after the sight seeing by around 1 30PM and enjoy the afternoon/evening at resort.
Old 31st March 2015, 08:37   #8383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bagalur - Chikka Tirupathi route is longer and not worth it.

How is the condition of the Sarjapur town? Is there any progress on the bypass road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
IF you are coming from CBE, the straightforward way to get into the Sankari-Tharamangalam-Omalur road is to take the entry into the sankari town at the end of bypass , follow the road into the town and take a right at the first major junction. This way you will not need to go too far into the town. Map below

Attachment 1355307

There is also another way but that road is a dirt track and shorter. I have seen trucks take it but I have never personally taken it. That road is right off the main highway (like a service road ) except that the entry is not well marked. To get onto that dirt track, Take a left at the intersection marked for Edappadi (before the Tharamangalam road) and take an immediate right into the dirt road. You can find the road in google satellite maps.

Expect moderate traffic in road till omalur as a lot of trucks take this road to avoid the 2 tolls.
Here is how I normally take this route
While coming from CBE towards Salem -
In the Sankari bypass look for signboards of a TATA/Maruti service center; signboards are well placed. Turn left at that junction. Turn first right towards the single lane road about 1 km ahead. This single lane road is well laid and after around 6 km reaches the Sankari - Tharamangalam road. Turn left here and proceed towards Tharamangalam. Turn right at Tharamangalam town. Turn left at Omalur town and join NH7 2 km after.

While coming from Bagalore towards Salem:
You will see Salem airport on left side, turn right at Omalur turn off around 2-3 km from the aiport, turn right at Omalur town, turn left at Tharamangalam town, keep going until you see a '6km to Sankari' milestone. On the left side you will find a small hill as well. Turn right there to the single lane road, after 6 km, turn left and then turn right to NH47.

Google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/TzL2o

The single lane road is completely traffic free and well laid. You will hardly find one or two 2 wheelers in the whole 6 km. If anyone wants to see the capture of this road from my dash cam , let me know; i will upload to youtube.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd April 2015 at 05:39. Reason: Correction made as per reported post. Thanks.
arjithin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 09:11   #8384
BHPian

Just saw in a Tamil News Channel about a possible strike by Trucks from 1st April due to inordinate delay at Walayar check post. Don't know how this is going to cause pile up at check posts. Better be aware of this and take necessary precaution.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:41   #8385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Just saw in a Tamil News Channel about a possible strike by Trucks from 1st April due to inordinate delay at Walayar check post. Don't know how this is going to cause pile up at check posts. Better be aware of this and take necessary precaution.
The same was reported in Malayalam news media last week. From April 1st, trucks are NOT going to enter Walayar check post. This may sound okay, because that means no traffic jams in Walayar . But the problems would be, if the strike gets cancelled on 2nd or 3rd. Trucks would just barge in, as it is a holiday season in Kerala (Easter), and right from vegetables to cattle (for meat) has to come from else where. Then there would be some very nasty blocks at all check posts on Kerala border.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks