Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 17:26   #8326
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Came to know recently of an alternate route from Coimbatore to Alathur,
via Velanthavalam, Chittur , Pudunagaram. Has anybody travelled recently on this route please ? From the map, it looks like a viable alternative to
Walayar-Palakkad.
Route looks interesting with interior Kerala roads, good relaxed drive through the countryside
However, I don't think this will be fast with 2 laned roads mostly, probably narrow as well.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 18:35   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

via Velanthavalam, Chittur , Pudunagaram. Has anybody travelled recently on this route please ? From the map, it looks like a viable alternative to
Walayar-Palakkad.

Rgds,
This alternate route has been tried by quite a number of Team BHP folks to avoid the Walayar mess. After passing through Velanthavalam, people have then taken the Pollachi-Palakkad road.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 22:59   #8328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Walayar-Palakkad.
It is a good alternative. Roads are generally smooth, but don't expect the quality of those 4-L highways. Lots of twists and turns, lots of greenery, and a few bottlenecks as well, if you are in these areas during day time. Pudunagaram junction and Koduvayur are worth mentioning, especially the latter, if it's a week day morning or evening.

But, this is a great route for some relaxed driving
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 23:15   #8329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It is a good alternative. Roads are generally smooth, but don't expect the quality of those 4-L highways. Lots of twists and turns, lots of greenery, and a few bottlenecks as well, if you are in these areas during day time. Pudunagaram junction and Koduvayur are worth mentioning, especially the latter, if it's a week day morning or evening.

But, this is a great route for some relaxed driving
Thanks ! Currently I am comparing this with the Coimbatore-Pollachi-
Vadakkencherry route. I generally love the relaxed green route, but this time
around, need to go by the fastest route .
Would you say this alternate route would be faster than the Pollachi route ?

Regards,
Old 17th March 2015, 23:38   #8330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently I am comparing this with the Coimbatore-Pollachi-
Stick to NH47, if you want the fastest route (based on my experience). The next best option in terms of travel time would be CBE-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkenchery.

To take the Velanthavalam-Chittur route, you will have to take the Madukkarai-Chavadi stretch, which IMO, is the worst of the lot. You can directly hit the Pollachi highway from CBE and head to Vadakkenchery via Kollengode. Though it adds about 15km, I feel it won't slow you down considerably.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:17   #8331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ! Currently I am comparing this with the Coimbatore-Pollachi-

Regards,
Quote:
Stick to NH47, if you want the fastest route (based on my experience). .
+1. This has been my experience too. Stick to NH 7 - NH 47 route.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 14:08   #8332

Planning to do a trip to Nagarhole NP from Mananthavady. Please suggest the best wildlife route through Nagarhole NP irrespective of road condition. Is it via Kutta-Hunsur or Kattikulam-Kabini route has more wildlife?
Old 18th March 2015, 14:28   #8333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuts View Post
Planning to do a trip to Nagarhole NP from Mananthavady. Please suggest the best wildlife route through Nagarhole NP irrespective of road condition. Is it via Kutta-Hunsur or Kattikulam-Kabini route has more wildlife?
The Kabini route just passes through the periphery of the WLS. It is the road from Kutta to Hunsur that passes right through the middle of it, and chances of wildlife sightings are much higher on this route. The road is rather patchy with some good stretches and quite a bit of rough and narrow roads.

I think the time of travel is important as well. 10 days back I passed through this road around noon time and all I saw were a few deer. Early morning as soon as the gates open or evenings just before closure might be the best times for wild life sightings.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 14:51   #8334
BHPian

Hi friends,

Thanks for all fresh inputs and my route is more or less clear from BLR
to Ekm.

Since I am planning to take the Rayakkottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri route
and avoid Krishnagiri, would like to refresh and update on the following :

1. Attibele take off to Rayakottai (in case of using the elevated highway)
2. The correct turning to Rayakottai at Hosur (in case I am driving straight
to Hosur via Sarjapur/Bagalur) . ( This turning is confusing since the signage is not clear, and I always end up missing it and driving off to Krish).

Rgds,
Old 19th March 2015, 08:58   #8335
Senior - BHPian

Trouble brewing at Walayar

AIMTC warns of blocking check-post

Quote:
After a brief interval, goods-laden trucks bound for Kerala from other States have again started chocking the inter-State check-post at Walayar, near here.

This is largely because of the increase in goods movement during the peak summer months and the lack of promised facilities for easy clearance. The long queue of trucks at the main border check-post between Coimbatore and Palakkad on National Highway (NH) 47 has also started affecting movement of non-commercial vehicles.

Furthermore, the All-India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) has warned that it will stage a blockade at the check-post from midnight of April 1 if it failed to honour the commitment to install vehicle scanners to ensure free truck movement. The national body of truck operators is alleging that the check-post is now witnessing high-level corruption and highhandedness of officials. The lack of promised facilities is also irking the lorry operators.

Source

The last but one line comes as no surprise for me, considering the way things are in the higher strata these days - the only hope is a change in guard if and when that happens
Old 19th March 2015, 11:24   #8336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Attibele take off to Rayakottai (in case of using the elevated highway)
1. The elevated highway any way ends at Veerasandra (the next stop after Electronics City).
2. Now go on the normal highway, and start counting the fly overs.
First one: Bommansandra - go straight ahead on the fly over
Second one: Chandapura - go straight again, on the fly over
Third one: This is at Attibele town (would come after 6-7 kilometeres after the second one). Do NOT take this fly over (if you do, you can pay toll at Attibele and proceed ).

Take a left before approaching the fly over, and you would reach Attibele circle. At the circle take a right, and go straight on the TVS road. Around 900 mts on this road, you will reach a Y junction, keep left here (right takes you to Anekal). Go straight, you would cross the TN Police check post near TVS factory.

Keep going on this road, finally you would reach a big junction (but no shops, or traffic), here again you go straight. That is the Rayakottai Road. If you take a left here, you are going back to Hosur town. Right takes you to Thally. Please note, after this junction when going on the Rayakottai Road another junction pops up. Again go straight. If you take a left here, you go towards Hosur Railway Station.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 11:50   #8337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. The correct turning to Rayakottai at Hosur (in case I am driving straight
to Hosur via Sarjapur/Bagalur) . ( This turning is confusing since the signage is not clear, and I always end up missing it and driving off to Krish).
Look for Hotel LA Classic on your left before the flyover. Thats the one after which you have the Attibele toll. Dont take that flyover and go below.
Old 19th March 2015, 13:00   #8338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Keep going on this road, finally you would reach a big junction (but no shops, or traffic), here again you go straight. That is the Rayakottai Road. If you take a left here, you are going back to Hosur town.
The straight road at this junction goes to Rayakottai via Kelamangalam; which is probably a bit inferior (in terms of road quality) than the left turn which goes to Rayakottai via Hosur. Both are approximately the same distance so the recommendation would be to take the latter - ie, turn left here.

Left, cross railway gate, right onto Hosur IRR, about 3 km, right onto Hosur-Rayakottai road.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 13:34   #8339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
...Keep going on this road, finally you would reach a big junction (but no shops, or traffic), here again you go straight. That is the Rayakottai Road. If you take a left here, you are going back to Hosur town..
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The straight road at this junction goes to Rayakottai via Kelamangalam; which is probably a bit inferior (in terms of road quality)...

Left, cross railway gate, right onto Hosur IRR, about 3 km, right onto Hosur-Rayakottai road.
+1 to the above. Have tried both the routes, and I can vouch for this.
Old 19th March 2015, 13:41   #8340
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trouble brewing at Walayar

Quote:
AIMTC warns of blocking check-post
Oh, how bad is the situation? I'm driving to Bangalore on April 1st. Is it really bad that I should consider a different route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks