Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:54   #9181
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Churam seems to be closed from Dec 21 and only buses are allowed. Check this link - https://goo.gl/zJ1GcR
This was discussed in the Bangalore-Calicut thread. The restriction is only on heavy vehicles, as the link you posted also points out. There does not seem to be any restriction on private LMV-type vehicles.
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:05   #9182
BHPian

Oops! My bad. I missed the "heavy" vehicle part. Thanks binand for correcting.
Old 23rd December 2015, 01:27   #9183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
10 Walayar -45
This is now Rs.55 one-way and Rs.80 (IIRC) for up and down.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:00   #9184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As arjithin pointed out, many of the fuel stations are out of stock (especially diesel). I tried two pumps to top up but got lucky the third time. And I heard BP pumps are mostly affected. Anyways, I would suggest everyone to top up well in advance.

Current diesel rate in Cochin (think few members were asking) - 49.58/lt
Is situation that bad ? I drove by couple of pumps yesterday and didn't find any shut down
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:08   #9185
Senior - BHPian

The last time I drove to Cochin was in December 2013 and it was decided that I will never drive again during the Christmas break. Why? Madness at toll booths. I thought I will beat everyone to it but even after leaving at 3am, I spent a total of 2 hours waiting at toll booths. I don't have much hope of my train tickets coming through for tonight so might have to hit the road tomorrow and I dread the toll booth madness again. What will be the a good time to hit the road?
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:18   #9186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The last time I drove to Cochin was in December 2013 and it was decided that I will never drive again during the Christmas break. Why? Madness at toll booths. I thought I will beat everyone to it but even after leaving at 3am, I spent a total of 2 hours waiting at toll booths. I don't have much hope of my train tickets coming through for tonight so might have to hit the road tomorrow and I dread the toll booth madness again. What will be the a good time to hit the road?
Why not take toll free roadS?

Sarjapur - Bagalur - Hosur - to avoid electronic city & Attibele

Rayakottah - Palacode - Pennagaram - Mecheri - Mettur - Gobi - Coimbatore ?

or

Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur route

or

NH 209 to coimbatore?
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:22   #9187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spent a total of 2 hours waiting at toll booths. ...What will be the a good time to hit the road?
On Monday morning at 3:30 the Trichur Toll booth was very free, but yesterday at around midnight it was a mad rush. Took about half an hour to clear the place. So in your case, crossing all the toll booths at the 3:30 am would be humanly impossible Good luck!!
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:50   #9188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Why not take toll free roadS?
Toll booth chaos aside, the express way is still the fastest and safest road to take and I know the route all the way.

I'll skip the E City Betl one by going under it. I have always done this if I am exiting Bangalore at an early hour. No escaping Attibele though.

I've taken the Pennagram route once but approached it from Perundurai. Nice route. Its just that, with the express way now available in patches, even beyond Coimbatore, it is still the faster road.

I find the Wayanad route too slow and it is probably going to be a lot worse tomorrow in terms of traffic.

Never tried NH 209. Good road?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd December 2015 at 11:51.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:29   #9189
Senior - BHPian

Folks planning to drive down to Kerala on the NH7 & NH47 routes. Plan is to leave Bangalore by 0300Hrs, but I expect it to only happen by 0400Hrs. What is the gut feeling on the toll booth delays?

Quote:
I'll skip the E City Betl one by going under it. I have always done this if I am exiting Bangalore at an early hour. No escaping Attibele though.
Attibele toll booth also can be escaped. Don't go over the Attibele Fly over, side step it, and then take a right turn to go towards the TVS road (factory). You enter TN state just before the TVS factory. And there are ways to get back to the NH7 at Hosur town.

Infact I have identified a route (marked on GPS as well) to avoid all toll booths till Thoppur. But the routes are a bit desolate/empty. Also have got the route which helps me avoid all toll booths till Bhavani town, but again it is the hilly terrain, lesser number of vehicles plus lack of any hotels and toilets etc. which makes me think twice. Travelling with the family, so just thinking on the risk factor.
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:43   #9190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toll booth chaos aside, the express way is still the fastest and safest road to take and I know the route all the way.
Safest route, probably. But fastest? Considering only your moving average, yes. But when you get stuck in a queue at a toll booth, you're simply stuck, and it'll easily make you frustrated, and your FE goes down south since you'll have to keep the AC on in order to avoid the fumes. And then there's always the risk of some fender-benders, thanks to inattentive drivers, ill-maintained vehicles that won't have working lights and/or brakes

Quote:
Never tried NH 209. Good road?
Planning to take that route tomorrow. My experiences have been pleasant, save for the lack of options for food and refreshments for the most part.
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:43   #9191
BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Vaikom on 19th afternoon. Started at 3 pm from Kaikondrahalli and reached Coimbatore (outer towards Palakkad) by 8 pm. Too good. To my surprise, Salem was also easy to pass.

I stayed at Coimbatore overnight and started from there by 6:30 am next day. Palakkad - Vaddakancherry was a breeze and thereafter it is one lane road from Vaddakancherry till Mannuthy.

Reached Kutiran by 8 am but could arrive at Mannuty only by 10 am. It was a nightmare -- too many container trucks plus other morons on the road.

Road from Thrissur to Alwaye has multiple new traffic signals installed now. Unfortunately, these lights are not coordinated.

Last edited by B103 : 23rd December 2015 at 13:44.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:11   #9192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

Infact I have identified a route (marked on GPS as well) to avoid all toll booths till Thoppur. But the routes are a bit desolate/empty. Also have got the route which helps me avoid all toll booths till Bhavani town, but again it is the hilly terrain, lesser number of vehicles plus lack of any hotels and toilets etc. which makes me think twice. Travelling with the family, so just thinking on the risk factor.
Route from Bangalore to Coimbatore without paying toll:

Via Attibele, Hosur by pass, Rayakottai, Palacode, Pennagaram, Mecheri, Mettur, Bhavani, Erode, Kangeyam, Palladam and Sulur. This is for South Coimbatore.

Via Attibele, Hosur by pass, Rayakottai, Palacode, Pennagaram, Mecheri, Mettur, Ammapettai, Anthiyur, Sathy and Annur. This is for North Coimbatore.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:38   #9193
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Coimbatore yesterday.

Took about 4 hours 20 minutes from BETL toll gate to Chengapalli toll gate: ( 3 pm start from Bangalore)

Toll paid as follows:

BETL : 45
Attibele : 25
Krishnagiri: 60
Thopur : 86
Salem : 69
Vaikuntam : 54
Perundurai : 49
Changapalli : 80

Worked out to Rs.468 one way.

Of the 4 hours 20 minutes driving at-least 40 minutes was spent waiting for the toll booths. Despite all the wait I personally feel that Express way is the best option to travel provided one in OK with the toll to be paid! If one is travelling with family, the E-way with its numerous refreshment and refuelling options sounds better.

The booths provided for the fasttag option were either roped off or were being used by cash paying vehicles leading me to believe that wider usage of the tag is necessary before we can travel truly cash free and quickly through the tolls.

Traffic was slow in Salem but otherwise the drive was uneventful except for lorries driving 3 abreast at times.

Last edited by batterylow : 23rd December 2015 at 16:45. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:26   #9194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Did Bangalore - Coimbatore yesterday.

Changapalli : 80
Just a small correction.. It is not chengapalli but it is arasur. Chengapalli is very close to the vijayamangalam (not perundurai) toll.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:26   #9195
Distinguished - BHPian

@Balu - Pumps were working. Just didnt have Diesel stock.

Road Update:

Started from kadavanthara at 4AM. Surprisingly, edappaly had good amount of traffic. The traffic was diverted through ICT via Aluva - Paravoor road. The roads are well marked and in superb condition. Roads were all good throughout till Walayar. The worst stretch was between Walayar till coimbatore. L&T bypass is also getting bad. After L&T, it's a pleasure to drive.

Traffic wasnt bad both ways. Nearing salem, the visibility dropped a bit and was pretty cold outside.

Reached Madiwala by around 11.30. Then it was the usual bangalore traffic.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20151223_073606.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20151223_073747.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20151223_075718.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20151223_075724.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20151223_075749.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks