Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:17   #9241
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I
Another alternate is to take MC road itself, but avoid the Kothamangalam-Chengannur stretch (which is the worst part of that road) by deviating via Uzhavoor-Kidangoor-Manarcaud-Pambady-Karukachal-Mallappally-Kumbanad and rejoin MC road a little south of Chengannur. The roads from Kothamangalam up to Karukachal are very good - Haven't travelled through the Mallappally-Kumbanad route for a while now, but it shouldn't be too bad either. The negative side of that route is that unless you use navigation assistance (or keep enquiring with locals often), it is easy to get lost and get onto a wrong road since there there are several junctions on the way where you need to turn left or right, and road markings may not be clear enough.

In terms of time, I don't think you'll gain much with either of these diversions - the only advantage would be avoiding the bad stretches / heavy traffic areas along the way - hence a much more stress-free drive.
I recently travelled to Kottayam/Changanassery side using this roads. MC road from Muvattupuzha till Koothattukulam is OK. The route through Uzhavur-Marangattuppilly-Kidangur has now some signages to assist. However, the road from Marangattupilly to Kidangur has bad surface and gutters.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:35   #9242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
hi all, any update on the road block topic? Planning to cross Kumily check post on 29th Dec. I've to look for alternate routes in case of any potential issues.
Not sure whether the road block happened, will be good to hear the updates. I stayed in Theni on 27th Dec and crossed to Kerala on 28th Dec (no issues on 28th Dec)
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:01   #9243
BHPian

Hello: Is there any update on the Madukkarai - walayar stretch work progress?
As per the court order, the work was supposed to complete by End of December 2015.
Why there is so much of delay to construct this road I have no clue. It is just a matter of 12kms.
Lot of dust was there when I passed this area somewhere in early December 2015 with huge craters in KG chavadi.

Any news on when this portion will be completed ?
Old 5th January 2016, 12:50   #9244
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Hello: Is there any update on the Madukkarai - walayar stretch work progress?
While I have no specific information on why the delay and when it is expected to be complete, just this update from my trip during Christmas:
Madukkarai to KG Chavadi has parts of the road complete except bridges so there are diversions. At KG Chavadi the road forks to left diagonally and we use the old road which is potholed badly. At the end of KG Chavadi the new road again merges back diagonally, so it's like a "V" rotated to right by 90 degrees. This has been done to save the properties in KG Chavadi and bypass the village. I think it can take about 6 months to a year to complete. Meantime, I also saw a flyover construction in progress at Madukkarai and a small stretch of 4 laning work in progress, hopefully the entire L&T Coimbatore bypass will be 4 laned in some time.
After this, again road is partially complete except for bridges/flyovers. From Walayar onwards, the new 4 lane road starts and is also tolled.

Last edited by NPV : 5th January 2016 at 12:53.
Old 5th January 2016, 13:00   #9245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From Walayar onwards, the new 4 lane road starts and is also tolled.
I think it was the same when I travelled. So nothing much has progressed. The KG chavadi village byepass is there which goes behind the village and joins the "v" part which you told.

Due to frequent accidents in the walayar - vadakkancherry stretch, they are planning for few signals at Kanjikode, alathur..etc as per news.
Thank you!
Old 6th January 2016, 09:42   #9246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Due to frequent accidents in the walayar - vadakkancherry stretch, they are planning for few signals at Kanjikode, alathur..etc as per news.
A long term solution would be flyovers at these points. Alathur and Wadakkanchery are not very tiny towns, so there would be people who use these intersections (to reach the main part of the town).
Old 6th January 2016, 10:15   #9247
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A long term solution would be flyovers at these points. Alathur and Wadakkanchery are not very tiny towns, so there would be people who use these intersections (to reach the main part of the town).
During Christmas (2015) I traveled on the Palakkad-Alathur stretch of NH47 for the first time after work was completed.
There was a very long flyover/elevated section of road before Alathur and I was in doubt if that would bypass the entries into Alathur town but I was surprised when the down ramp ended right at one of the junctions leading in to Alathur town, this is a 4 way junction where the flyover ends and is definitely a potential accident spot. From here onwards the road is not elevated. In fact one can take the next junction about another 1-2Km away from this one to enter towards Kavasseri/Pazhayannur.

Last edited by NPV : 6th January 2016 at 10:17.
Old 6th January 2016, 10:19   #9248
BHPian

Quick update on a weekend drive from Coimbatore to Calicut:
Route: Coimbatore-Ananikati-Agali-Mannarkad-Melatoor-Manjeri-Mongam-Ramanattukara-Calicut
Coimbatore to Mannarkad is slightly bumpy. Roads have been damaged after the rain spells but patch work has been done. And its really patchy.
From thereon its really smooth roads all the way till Calicut. The roads near the railway gate is also much better.
distance = ~180 kms
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:56   #9249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Quick update on a weekend drive from Coimbatore to Calicut:
Route: Coimbatore-Ananikati-Agali-Mannarkad-Melatoor-Manjeri-Mongam-Ramanattukara-Calicut
Any particular reason for you to avoid the NH via Perintalmanna? Hows the traffic on the Manjeri-Mongam-Ramanattukara stretch?
Old 6th January 2016, 13:03   #9250
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!
Quote:
What I have noticed is that two wheelers travel on the wrong lane, especially around the Chandranagar area. They drive opposite lane into the oncoming traffic, that too on the high speed lane.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:01   #9251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
During Christmas (2015) I traveled on the Palakkad-Alathur stretch of NH47 for the first time after work was completed.
There was a very long flyover/elevated section of road before Alathur and I was in doubt if that would bypass the entries into Alathur town but I was surprised when the down ramp ended right at one of the junctions leading in to Alathur town, this is a 4 way junction where the flyover ends and is definitely a potential accident spot...
The stretch between Walayar and Vadakkenchery is rife with potential accident spots, and every passing day sees some accident or the other. The issue is compounded by the fact that the under-construction Madukkarai-Walayar stretch makes motorists frustrated and on hitting super-smooth tarmac, will push the cars a bit, to cruise at good speeds. The NHAI contractor has taken some of the worst decisions considering the positioning of flyovers, underpasses, service-roads etc. The flyover that @NPV mentioned, looks like it was erected to avoid the property (belonging to a local politician in the ruling front) being acquired for straightening the highway, and there's an easy passage between his farmhouse on one side and the farms on the other side. Most of the crossings at the Highway are totally unscientific by way of visibility, thanks to the elevation of the highway; and extremely risky to cross for moderate to thick local traffic.

Signals would only reduce the average speed, but cause traffic clogs. The next step would be interceptors and speed cameras, like the Mannuthy-Ekm stretch.

IMO, there should've been an elevated path over the current highway, with properly designed entry/exit ramps provided at a few points. It won't take long before the traffic would outgrow the present 4-lane offering.

Last edited by silversteed : 6th January 2016 at 14:11.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 16:31   #9252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The NHAI contractor has taken some of the worst decisions considering the positioning of flyovers, underpasses, service-roads etc.
I doubt whether the contractor would have had any say in the design of the road. The intersections, the location of flyovers, the ramps - everything is as per NHAI specs. Recently there was a question about an unscientific median design - KNRCL replied that their hands are tied since it is as per NHAI specifications

Quote:
Most of the crossings at the Highway are totally unscientific by way of visibility, thanks to the elevation of the highway; and extremely risky to cross for moderate to thick local traffic.
Typical example I see is the Kanjikode junction when you approach from Walayar side - totally out of the line of sight till you reach the junction!! A deadly place

And as gelnmz pointed out, the people do not realise dangers of coming down the wrong way. I think most of them don't know that they are driving/riding on the wrong side. At BPL Koottupatha I've seen even the police being just spectators when bikes, pick-up vans and autos approach the junction from the wrong side.

The Walayar-Vadakkenchery is turning out to be on big death trap with accidents reported every day. High time the authorities take serious notice

Quote:
Signals would only reduce the average speed, but cause traffic clogs. The next step would be interceptors and speed cameras, like the Mannuthy-Ekm stretch.
True - Mannuthy - Ekm stretch is a pain to drive during peak hours. You never feel you are on a highway, with signals every few kms

Very very short sighted design, IMHO
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 16:49   #9253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I doubt whether the contractor would have had any say in the design of the road. The intersections, the location of flyovers, the ramps - everything is as per NHAI specs. Recently there was a question about an unscientific median design - KNRCL replied that their hands are tied since it is as per NHAI specifications
Specs is one, and the location they choose is another. Either way, it's news to me that all these intersections conform to NHAI "specs" and KNRCL had no say!
Quote:
Typical example I see is the Kanjikode junction when you approach from Walayar side - totally out of the line of sight till you reach the junction!! A deadly place...
I don't dare to cross Kuzhalmannam junction these days. I drive on the service road until Kulavanmukku, make a U-turn under the flyover, drive on the other side of the service road and proceed to the junction. I follow the same ritual at Kazhchapparambu - take the service road in front of Palana, reach the Koduvayur road and proceed towards Yakkara. Seriously, I value my life and property - burning an few extra ounces of fuel won't hurt, instead of losing blood.
Quote:
The Walayar-Vadakkenchery is turning out to be on big death trap with accidents reported every day. High time the authorities take serious notice
It'll take a lot more blood before the authorities wake up to the reality and modify the designs (at least) and the local public realise that a 4-L national Highway is not a place to ride/drive as they please.
Quote:
Very very short sighted design, IMHO
Exactly my thoughts
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 13:26   #9254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Any particular reason for you to avoid the NH via Perintalmanna? Hows the traffic on the Manjeri-Mongam-Ramanattukara stretch?
Normally the hours we travel, perinthalmanna and angadipuram are choco-bloc Compared to Melatoor-pandikkad. Perinthalmanna had couple of good Veg restaurants, but since we found one (Gokulam) in this route, we prefer this one.
There is a funnelling that happens in Arecode and Velanchery (where we merge). Otherwise its normal. Once after the bypass signal and into Ramanattukara - its madness as usual
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 19:59   #9255
CPJ
BHPian

Pune to Kerala Road Trip.

Guys I'm planning a road trip from Pune to Kerala in my 2015 Volkswagen Polo 1.5 TDi this month.
Now based on the research that I have done along with my wife, we have finalized the following destinations which we would be visiting on this 2 Week Long Road Trip.
  1. Pune TO Sai Vishram Beach Resort, Paduvari, Byndoor. Stay @ Byndoor for 3 Nights & 2 Days.
  2. Sai Vishram Beach Resort, Byndoor TO Kannur. Stay @ Kannur for 1 Day & 1 Night.
  3. Kannur TO Kalpetta,Wayanad. Stay @ Kalpetta, Wayanad for 2 Nights & 2 Days.
  4. Kalpetta, Wayanad TO Thrissur. Stay @ Thrissur for 1 Night & 1 Day.
  5. Thrissur TO Alappuzha. Stay @ Alappuzha for 2 Nights & 2 Days.
  6. Alappuzha TO Munnar. Stay @ Munnar for 2 Nights & 2 Days.
  7. Munnar TO Bangalore. Stay @ Bangalore for 2 Nights, 2 Days
  8. Bangalore TO Pune.
While selecting the above locations, I have kept in mind that I'm not traveling long distances at a stretch and my plan is to leave early in the morning (4:00 AM) and reach my destinations well before evening. The only long distance that we would be doing is Pune to Byndoor and then Bangalore to Pune.

I have already booked the hotels at the respective location and need your help in finalizing the best route for each leg of this road trip. I have absolutely no idea of the present roads conditions in Kerala and the best routes to take and as of now completely dependent on Google Maps.
So Guys help me out .

Thanks
CPJ.

Last edited by CPJ : 8th January 2016 at 20:06. Reason: Adding more information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks