Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:28   #5131
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Vadavathoor-Calicut : Wanted to experiment with the route via Chamaravattom bridge this time. So the route used was : Vadavathoor-Manarcaud-Kidangoor-Uzhavoor-Koothattukulam-Perumbavoor-Angamaly-
This is a very good option! Thanks. Did not realize this part. So is the other option of using Peroor to bypass central Kottayam.

I was always wondering any option alternative to MC road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Good to know you were in Vadavathoor. I live near Manarcad .
@jacs

Is Thrippunithura-Vaikom road digging over? Because if not the above can be a good alternative for people coming from Munnar and driving to Kumarakom.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd May 2013 at 08:30.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:09   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@jacs

Is Thrippunithura-Vaikom road digging over? Because if not the above can be a good alternative for people coming from Munnar and driving to Kumarakom.
Hi Ampere,

Tripunithra - Vaikom stretch is very good now.

However I feel one can drive straight from Muvattupuzha - Kuttattukulam - Ettumanoor - Kottayam - Kumarakom which is the shortest route from Munnar to Kumarakom and roads are good now as I drove last Monday to Kothamangalam.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:19   #5133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tripunithra - Vaikom stretch is very good now.
Thats very good to hear Jacs!

Quote:
However I feel one can drive straight from Muvattupuzha - Kuttattukulam - Ettumanoor - Kottayam - Kumarakom which is the shortest route from Munnar to Kumarakom and roads are good now as I drove last Monday to Kothamangalam.
I was not aware of it. Some when I drove to Munnar/Kumarakom I took the Vaikom route long back. It was good then. I drove till Tiruvankulam, went south, crossed the railway line near Agasthya temple and joined the Vaikom road.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:26   #5134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
HVK sir, I have the dates confirmed for my Kerala trip. I start on 1st May from Allahabad and have to be in Ganj Basoda (MP) by 13th night.

Now the original plan was to proceed from Delhi (I had some work in Kanpur and Delhi) but now I am thinking of going till Kanpur and then head south from there only instead of proceeding to Delhi which will save me a day in my rather tight schedule. Maybe I will come to Delhi from Ganj Basoda because I will have time then. So if everybody agrees to come down to Kanpur and join me from there then in that case I think I will be forced to take the Kanpur-Chhatarpur-Sagar-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Munnar route. I see that the distance will also be slightly less. Not much inclined on taking this route but I guess under the circumstances and keeping in mind the time in hand, it would be prudent to take this route and avoid the extra distance to Delhi.

On this route how will be the roads? four lane or normal two lane highways? Where would you suggest the night halts?

Regards
I am confused Where are you starting from? Do you have to go to Ganj Basoda? There is some mix-up on the dates, can you clarify which are dates of travel?
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:30   #5135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when I drove to Munnar/Kumarakom I took the Vaikom route long back. I drove till Tiruvankulam, went south, crossed the railway line near Agasthya temple and joined the Vaikom road.
If you have taken Vaikom - Tanneermukkam - Kumarakom, its just about 10KMs extra. But if you have taken Vaikom - Kottayam - Kumarakom, its more than 20KMs extra. Most of the roads in these routes are good now, but not predictable after Monsoon.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:05   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
My parents house is just 1 km from the turn at Potta towards IJK. When did you take this route? I was there last Saturday (18/5). Would love to offer a coffee at my house next time.

This is the first time I am seeing a reference to Potta - Moonnupeedika road in Team BHP. There are plans to widen this road as it connects NH47 and NH17. Road surveys are going in some areas now.
It was on Friday evening around 5:30 PM that I passed by. Thanks for the offer, will certainly take up on it if you're around during my next trip that way

Quote:
This is a very good option! Thanks. Did not realize this part. So is the other option of using Peroor to bypass central Kottayam.

I was always wondering any option alternative to MC road.
MC road is at its worst between Chengannur and Ettumanoor (both in terms of traffic and road surface and the several small towns that you need to traverse which will slow you down considerably). Almost the entire stretch (except the Chengannoor-Tiruvalla section) can be bypassed by taking the parallel road via Puthupally. The route is :

Take a right at Perunthuruthy (About 3-4 kms north of Thiruvalla) into the road that goes to Thengana. From there the route is :

Perunthuruthy-Trikkodithanam-Thengana-Vakathanam-Puthuppally-Manarcaud. From Manarcaud you can either go to Ettumanoor via Thiruvanchoor-Peroor if you're travelling towards Ernakulam or via Kidangoor-Marangattupalli-Uzhavoor and rejoin MC road at Koothattukulam if you're travelling towards Perumbavoor/Angamali. (The latter shown here)

There's a level crossing immediately as you enter this road at Perunthuruthy. If you want to avoid the risk of getting stuck there, another option is to continue a little further on MC road towards Changanacherry and take the new Changanacherry bypass that goes towards the right a little before you reach the Changanacherry-Alleppey road junction. This bypass will cross the Changanacherry-Vazhoor road just after you pass the Changanacherry Railway Station. Take a right at that junction towards Vazhoor and go about 3-4 kms till Thengana junction where you can take a left turn to get to the route towards Puthupally.

The road conditions are very good throughout this bypass route, and the traffic is only about 10% of what you'd encounter on MC road.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:10   #5137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am confused Where are you starting from? Do you have to go to Ganj Basoda? There is some mix-up on the dates, can you clarify which are dates of travel?
Sir, I will be starting on the 1st from Allahabad and head to Kanpur for some work. From Kanpur I am contemplating heading to Nagpur-Hyderabad route the same day. On my return journey I need to reach Ganj Basoda by 13th night and start for Delhi on the 14th morning.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:24   #5138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK sir, I have the dates confirmed for my Kerala trip. I start on 1st May from Allahabad and have to be in Ganj Basoda (MP) by 13th night.

Now the original plan was to proceed from Delhi (I had some work in Kanpur and Delhi) but now I am thinking of going till Kanpur and then head south from there only instead of proceeding to Delhi which will save me a day in my rather tight schedule. Maybe I will come to Delhi from Ganj Basoda because I will have time then. So if everybody agrees to come down to Kanpur and join me from there then in that case I think I will be forced to take the Kanpur-Chhatarpur-Sagar-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Munnar route. I see that the distance will also be slightly less. Not much inclined on taking this route but I guess under the circumstances and keeping in mind the time in hand, it would be prudent to take this route and avoid the extra distance to Delhi.

On this route how will be the roads? four lane or normal two lane highways? Where would you suggest the night halts?

Regards
Quote:
Sir, I will be starting on the 1st from Allahabad and head to Kanpur for some work. From Kanpur I am contemplating heading to Nagpur-Hyderabad route the same day. On my return journey I need to reach Ganj Basoda by 13th night and start for Delhi on the 14th morning.

Hope this clarifies.
I would take the Kanpur-(towards Delhi) Akbarpur-Pukharayan Crossing (where you exit NH2)-Kalpi-Orai-Jhansi-Babina (Jhansi-Babina is bad)-Lalitpur-Sagara-Narasingpur-Laknadon-Seoni-Nagpur.

If you leave form Kanpur early morning, you could be in Seoni the same night, and next day leave for Hyderabad.

For return, since you have to visit Ganj Basoda, you can take the following route:
Nagpur-Seoni-Laknadon-Narasingpur-Sagar-Rahatgarh (Bhopal road)-Ganj Basoda-Bina-Malthone (Basoda-Malthone road is quite OK now, subject to some road widening work)-Lalitpur-Babina-Jhansi.

From Jhansi, avoid Jhansi-Datai-Gwalior (road widening mess) & take a longer route Jhansi-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:39   #5139

All:

I am planning my travel from Trivandrum to Bangalore this weekend.
Start time around 8 AM from Thiruvallam (newr bye-pass).. Can someone guide me on the best route to reach Nagercoil ? Knowing the narrow roads and traffic , I would want to avoid the NH-47 route.. I heard travelogues on the by-road upto Kaliyikkavila..Not at all familiar though.. Pls help...
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:08   #5140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you have taken Vaikom - Tanneermukkam - Kumarakom, its just about 10KMs extra. But if you have taken Vaikom - Kottayam - Kumarakom, its more than 20KMs extra. Most of the roads in these routes are good now, but not predictable after Monsoon.
I was driving from Munnar to Kumarakom via Adimali/KOthamangalam/Muvattupuzha via NH49. I drove till Trippanithura. Exited at Tiruvankulam and latched on to Vaikom road and reached Kumarakom by taking the Vaikom-Kumarakom road. I did not go to Kottayam at all.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:33   #5141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith007 View Post
All:
I am planning my travel from Trivandrum to Bangalore this weekend.
Start time around 8 AM from Thiruvallam (newr bye-pass).. Can someone guide me on the best route to reach Nagercoil ? Knowing the narrow roads and traffic , I would want to avoid the NH-47 route.. I heard travelogues on the by-road upto Kaliyikkavila..Not at all familiar though.. Pls help...
You can take this route: Tiruvallam-Kovalam-Poovar-Uchakkada-Oorambu-Kaliyakavila-Nagercoil. GMap link here: http://goo.gl/maps/6Cwmg

Not sure about the latest road conditions here. I tried this route around 2 years back and road condition was mixed. Up to Poovar it will be good.
Old 24th May 2013, 10:16   #5142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
You can take this route: Tiruvallam-Kovalam-Poovar-Uchakkada-Oorambu-Kaliyakavila-Nagercoil. GMap link here: http://goo.gl/maps/6Cwmg

Not sure about the latest road conditions here. I tried this route around 2 years back and road condition was mixed. Up to Poovar it will be good.
The road is good although the traffic has increased a lot from earlier days as people are aware that travelling to nagerkoil via this road is far more easy than the old traditional route through balaramapuram,marthandam which is agonizing.You will save a good 45 minutes or more on this road.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:36   #5143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
The road is good although the traffic has increased a lot from earlier days as people are aware that travelling to nagerkoil via this road is far more easy than the old traditional route through balaramapuram,marthandam which is agonizing.You will save a good 45 minutes or more on this road.
I travel the route atleast once a month. The roads are fine and you can save the congestion at Balaramapuram.
Old 26th May 2013, 14:48   #5144
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled from Kochi to Ezhimala and back during the weekend.

The route taken was Kochi- Edappally- Paravoor- Chavakkad- Ponnani- Chamravattom regulator cum bridge- Tanur- Venniyur- Ramanattukara- Malaparambu- Atholi- Kappad- Koyilandi- Vadakara- Thalassery- Kannur- Pazhayangadi- Ezhimala.
The road was all through in good condition. There was road re tarring work going on at Mahe and the police were asking the vehicles to divert through an alternate route. I took the chance and went ahead through Mahe. Cars can presently make through comfortably. Heavy vehicles are made to divert mandatorily. Did not face this issue whilst returning though.

There was road work underway also near Parappanangadi due to which I turned towards NH 17 at Tanur itself. Else, as per my initial plans, I was to rejoin NH 17 at Chelary, diverting from Chettipadi.

On the return journey, I travelled through Ezhimala- Pazhayangadi- Kannur- Thalassery- Mahe- Kappad- Atholi- Ramanattukara- Kottakkal- Kuttippuram- Thrissur- NH47- Aluva- Edappally- Kochi

on the return leg, I also visited the Muzhuppilangad drive in beach near Thalassery. What a fantastic place!!!
Old 27th May 2013, 01:13   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would take the Kanpur-(towards Delhi) Akbarpur-Pukharayan Crossing (where you exit NH2)-Kalpi-Orai-Jhansi-Babina (Jhansi-Babina is bad)-Lalitpur-Sagara-Narasingpur-Laknadon-Seoni-Nagpur.

If you leave form Kanpur early morning, you could be in Seoni the same night, and next day leave for Hyderabad.

For return, since you have to visit Ganj Basoda, you can take the following route:
Nagpur-Seoni-Laknadon-Narasingpur-Sagar-Rahatgarh (Bhopal road)-Ganj Basoda-Bina-Malthone (Basoda-Malthone road is quite OK now, subject to some road widening work)-Lalitpur-Babina-Jhansi.

From Jhansi, avoid Jhansi-Datai-Gwalior (road widening mess) & take a longer route Jhansi-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra.
Till Laknadon I think its a good four lane road. What are the road conditions beyond Laknadon upto Nagpur? and from Nagpur to Hyderabad and Bangalore?

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks