Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 20:15   #5101
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
The other route considered is via Gwalior-Jhansi-Nagpur/Indore. I know the roads will be more or less perfect tarmac except for the Jhansi cantt region which is without tarmac.
Neither! You should do Delhi-AMD-Mumbai-Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Bangalore.

From Bangalore :

- You can either travel south to Munnar/Thekkady/Athirapally etc. And drive up north to Waynad.
- Or you just do the opposite. I would suggest Munnar first.
- Bangalore - Munnar : Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Perundurai-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar
Old 18th May 2013, 01:41   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lot depends on how many days you have at your disposal.
Driving the NH17 in South KA & North KL is not an enviable job, I would suggest you take the fastest route down to the "buffer zone" and then work your way up, progressing with the monsoon!

Assuming you reach Bangalore first, then you can plan the circuit as follows:

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Thekkady-Vagamon-Kattapana-Idukki-Munnar-Udumalipet-Valapari-Athirapalli-Chalakudy-Trissur-Nilambur-Wayanadu-Kannur-Mangalore-Goa
Sir, what would be the fastest route? Pardon me I have zero knowledge of the south region.

Also, I didn't know the route from Goa is NH17. I read on the forum that its not very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Neither! You should do Delhi-AMD-Mumbai-Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Bangalore.

From Bangalore :

- You can either travel south to Munnar/Thekkady/Athirapally etc. And drive up north to Waynad.
- Or you just do the opposite. I would suggest Munnar first.
- Bangalore - Munnar : Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Perundurai-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar
Thanks. Can you please detail the road conditions beyond Pune because I have been on this route last summer when I went to Lonavala. It was perfect. However, I have been avoiding considering this route for the very same reason as I thought that change of route will be more exciting.

And any particular reason for not recommending the above two routes?

HVK sir whats your take on the route suggested by Ampere?
Old 18th May 2013, 07:12   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18

Sir, what would be the fastest route? Pardon me I have zero knowledge of the south region.

Also, I didn't know the route from Goa is NH17. I read on the forum that its not very safe.

Thanks. Can you please detail the road conditions beyond Pune because I have been on this route last summer when I went to Lonavala. It was perfect. However, I have been avoiding considering this route for the very same reason as I thought that change of route will be more exciting.

The route suggested by Ampere is the fastest one among others and four laned. It is in good condition and least tiring.
Old 18th May 2013, 08:45   #5104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fastest would be the Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hubli-Bangalore route. You can reach Bangalore in 3 days.

Quote:
NH17 is an excellent road now - but not so after monsoons begin - but it is very congested in South KA and all of KL. Unsafe? It is very curvy mountainous in Bombay-Goa, but that is not the route you will be taking.

South of Goa, you cannot make great speeds on NH17.

As explained earlier, you could exit KL through NH17 & drive till Ankola/ Goa & then return to NH4 to continue your journey back through Pune/ Bombay.

Quote:
Excellent. Some road widening in Chitradurga-Tumkur and Hosur-Krishnagiri.

Quote:
Confused! Which 2?

Quote:
WE are talking of the same route, except that I have sequenced it differently in the KL sector so that you get a complete mountain experience.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:57   #5105
Team-BHP Support

Guys, has the Palakkad to Thrissur route improved around the Kuthiran area? Or is it still a bumpy ride? Asking this because I intend to do two trips - one to Ernakulam next weekend and the other to Alleppey a few days later.

TIA.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:17   #5106
Senior - BHPian

I too have some quick question on Road condition from Coimbatore-Thrissur? Is the NH good or is it better to take Shoranur route to reach Guruvayoor from Coimbatore?

Also, how is the road condition from Chalakkudi to Valparai?
Old 18th May 2013, 11:30   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, has the Palakkad to Thrissur route improved around the Kuthiran area? Or is it still a bumpy ride? Asking this because I intend to do two trips - one to Ernakulam next weekend and the other to Alleppey a few days later.

TIA.
Kuthiran bridge has newly laid Tarmac n they have patched up the big potholes too but ride is still bumpy because of the patches.Let us hope that this time these patch work hold till the monsoon's end!!
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-image1924123386.jpg  

bhunu AMG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:44   #5108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I too have some quick question on Road condition from Coimbatore-Thrissur? Is the NH good or is it better to take Shoranur route to reach Guruvayoor from Coimbatore?

To reach GVR from Coimbatore,I would take the Shoranur route,palakkad-kulappully-pattambi-guruvayur.roads are in good condition

Chalakudi-Valparai is good as well.Be sure to enter before 4pm,else they wouldnt let you in,
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:52   #5109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

TIA.
Quote:

Road between Kuthiran and Wadakanchery is bumpy with some 2-3 really huge potholes. Ride will be bumpy. If it's a day journey, you should be able to cover this distance easily. Say a max of 50-60 km/hr. Night drive not recommended.
Chalakudy to Athrimpilly is awesome. From there on it's a bit bumpy. Dont know the latest update though.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:56   #5110
Team-BHP Support

bhunu, naveen - many thanks! The bridge looks pretty good from that snap. Like you said, I just hope it stays that way until this year’s monsoon is over. Anyhow, I intend to drive during the day. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Old 18th May 2013, 12:04   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ranjit and Naveen.
I will stick with Shoranur route then. Thanks for letting me know that I need to enter the road before 4 PM. Where exactly is that check post?
Old 18th May 2013, 12:15   #5112
BHPian

The national highways of kerala are in a motorable condition as of today.

TRIVANDRUM - KAYAMKULAM:
The sector from Trivandrum to Kayamkulam will be passable all round the year.

KAYAMKULAM - CHERTHALA:
But things are going to change once the monsoon sets in (end of May), the sector between Kayamkulam and Cherthala will strain your backbones to the limit . The reason is that the highway was built in wet land (previously paddy fields).

CHERTHALA - TRISSUR:
Nice roads, especially from kalamasseri to trissur.

TRISSUR - PALAGHAT:
I couldn't find any thing by the name 'ROAD'
Old 18th May 2013, 12:21   #5113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit and Naveen.
I will stick with Shoranur route then. Thanks for letting me know that I need to enter the road before 4 PM. Where exactly is that check post?
The check post is right after Athrimpilly falls. There will be a parking lot and then comes this check post.
Old 18th May 2013, 17:16   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Fastest would be the Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Bombay-Pune-Hubli-Bangalore route. You can reach Bangalore in 3 days.

NH17 is an excellent road now - but not so after monsoons begin - but it is very congested in South KA and all of KL. Unsafe? It is very curvy mountainous in Bombay-Goa, but that is not the route you will be taking.

South of Goa, you cannot make great speeds on NH17.

As explained earlier, you could exit KL through NH17 & drive till Ankola/ Goa & then return to NH4 to continue your journey back through Pune/ Bombay.

Excellent. Some road widening in Chitradurga-Tumkur and Hosur-Krishnagiri.

Confused! Which 2?

WE are talking of the same route, except that I have sequenced it differently in the KL sector so that you get a complete mountain experience.
Sorry Sir, my fault. I was referring to the delhi-nagpur-hyderabad route.

I have 13-14 days at my disposal.

Planning to have the first halt around Ahmedabad and the next night halt around Kolhapur. On the third day I can be at Wayanad this way. Does it appear over ambitious? If this is approved then I will proceed with the rest of the planning
Old 18th May 2013, 18:22   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sir, my fault. I was referring to the delhi-nagpur-hyderabad route.

I have 13-14 days at my disposal.

Planning to have the first halt around Ahmedabad and the next night halt around Kolhapur. On the third day I can be at Wayanad this way. Does it appear over ambitious? If this is approved then I will proceed with the rest of the planning
Yes, calls for some aggressive time schedules to make it happen. That is the best way to do it.

Just bear in mind that the roads approaching Wynad close at 9 pm, so you have to be very swift on Day 3 too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks