Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:42   #4381
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
My bad. It was Gonikoppa that I meant. The bus is via Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta-MDY. Since they are sending a multi-axle bus this way, I guess the road is in fairly motorable shape.
The Gonikoppa - Kutta route was not in the best of shape when i travelled about 4 months ago. Was able to scrape the bottom of Liva many times.

But from kutta to Mananthavady route was excellent right across the border.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:28   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Binai are you sure about the route? because Mysore to Kozhikode can be done either through Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Telicherry-Vadakara route
I hope multi-Axle buses will not be able to do the Virajpet-Iritty makkutta route because of the narrow Koottupuzha bridge. Last year, I heard from one of the Bangalore-Kannur bus driver that there are are various operators ready to put a Multi-axe in Bangalore-Kannur/Bangalore-Payyanur route. Because of this bottleneck they are not going for that !!!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:51   #4383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I hope multi-Axle buses will not be able to do the Virajpet-Iritty makkutta route because of the narrow Koottupuzha bridge.
True, even I feel Multi-axle buses would not be able to turn into the bridge from the road. Even B7Rs struggle a lot to take this turn. attaching a pic of the turn (taken during one of my trips to hometown)
All Roads to Kerala-5.jpg
The right side(not visible in pic) is not wide at all.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 22nd November 2012 at 12:15.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:00   #4384
Senior - BHPian

Makkuttam bridge is impossible for multis. The Kallada bus is via Gonikoppa-Kutta-MDY.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:01   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
True, even I feel Multi-axle buses would not be able to turn into the bridge from the road. Even B7Rs struggle a lot to take this turn. attaching a pic of the turn
Thanks for the photo, that was so quick
The other side of the bridge is slao equally worse if entering from Iritty side. Lot of time, I have seen the B7R (KaSRTC's Volvo) driver struggling to enter the bridge while coming to Bangalore.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:34   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Thanks for this input. Do we have any decent restaurant on this way?
There are not much decent hotels enroute. There is one hotel (IIRC, Hotel Elight or something) between Puthiyakavu and Nadakkavu which serves decent food and a/c restaurant.

If you are ok with toddy shop, Mullappanthal is worth a try for food (Its more like a family restaurant with toddy). Check this site

You can't find any good hotels with parking facility at Piravom or till Koothattukulam/Palai. Most of them are local ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
What is the present road condition of Thripunitura - Chottanikkara - Ettumanoor road and the Pala-Ponkunnam road? Chottanikkara road was horrible a year back? How is it now?
Tripunithura - Chottanikkara in bad shape? Was it via Thiruvamkulam or Puthiyakavu? If you don't have any specific plans for Chottanikkara, you can try Tripunithura-Puthiyakavu-Nadakkavu (Left) - Mulanthuruthy - Piravom - Koothattukulam/Uzhavoor - Pala. Mostly in good shape.

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd November 2012 at 14:40.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:55   #4387
BHPian

Hi,

We are planning to go to Wayanad this weekend. What would be the best route in terms of distance and road quality??

The resort where we have booked has suggested this route:

From Bangalore > Mysore> Hunsur > Nagerhole > Pepper Green Resorts

Please suggest if this route is OK.

Regards,
Anant
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:01   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
No doubt, it is the best route!!
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:10   #4389
BHPian

Thanks pariwar for your quick response.

But Google baba shows a much nearer route from Bangalore via Hampapura > Madapura.

Is this route good?

Regards,
Anant
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:21   #4390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
We are planning to go to Wayanad this weekend. What would be the best route in terms of distance and road quality??
The resort where we have booked has suggested this route:
Please suggest if this route is OK.
As pariwar said, this IS the best route. I had driven along this route early this month and the route conditions are updated here :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2961406

Also hope you are aware of some tension and traffic disruptions in and around Wayanad from past few days. There have been a lot of tiger attacks on pets/farm animals in and around Muthanga, Kattikulam and Thirunelli, and almost everyday ,the local people have been blocking roads in protest! So keep this factor in mind and be prepared in case you get stuck up for a few hours somewhere.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:28   #4391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pariwar for your quick response.

But Google baba shows a much nearer route from Bangalore via Hampapura > Madapura.

Is this route good?
That is the infamous SH33. Don't attempt it unless you're on a high GC vehicle. The road is excellent except for about 15 kms immediately after the entrance to the Nagarahole WLS. But that stretch is horrendous to say the least, and will take you about 1.5 hours to traverse. So even though the distance is less, you will spend more time to reach the destination.

May be after 6-8 months this could become the best route to Mananthavady. Apparently work has started on relaying this bad stretch and is expected to be complete in 6 months time.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:59   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
As pariwar said, this IS the best route. I had driven along this route early this month and the route conditions are updated here :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2961406

Also hope you are aware of some tension and traffic disruptions in and around Wayanad from past few days. There have been a lot of tiger attacks on pets/farm animals in and around Muthanga, Kattikulam and Thirunelli, and almost everyday ,the local people have been blocking roads in protest! So keep this factor in mind and be prepared in case you get stuck up for a few hours somewhere.
Thanks again sandsun. No, I was not aware of these tiger attacks. Will call up the resort guy and ask about the situation right away.

Is there any way I can get an update on the same here? Has anybody traveled on this stretch during the last couple of days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
That is the infamous SH33. Don't attempt it unless you're on a high GC vehicle. The road is excellent except for about 15 kms immediately after the entrance to the Nagarahole WLS. But that stretch is horrendous to say the least, and will take you about 1.5 hours to traverse. So even though the distance is less, you will spend more time to reach the destination.

May be after 6-8 months this could become the best route to Mananthavady. Apparently work has started on relaying this bad stretch and is expected to be complete in 6 months time.
Thanks kala. Will not be going through SH33 as everybody has advised.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:56   #4393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way I can get an update on the same here? Has anybody traveled on this stretch during the last couple of days?
Don't worry too much and just enjoy your holidays because even in case of some blockade, it would last for maximum one or two hours. Also it would not be possible to predict when such a situation may arise. Last few days, the NH 212 was blocked frequently by the agitating mass, but I also got to know that things have got eased up now after most of the demands by the locals regarding capturing the tiger on prowl and not releasing it back to the wild have been met. Assuming you to be a malayali (from your name), I recommend keep checking manoramaonline.com/ mathrubhumi.com local Wayanad news pages and news channels for their 'nattuvartha' section.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 22nd November 2012 at 16:59.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:25   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry too much and just enjoy your holidays because even in case of some blockade, it would last for maximum one or two hours. Also it would not be possible to predict when such a situation may arise. Last few days, the NH 212 was blocked frequently by the agitating mass, but I also got to know that things have got eased up now after most of the demands by the locals regarding capturing the tiger on prowl and not releasing it back to the wild have been met. Assuming you to be a malayali (from your name), I recommend keep checking manoramaonline.com/ mathrubhumi.com local Wayanad news pages and news channels for their 'nattuvartha' section.
In fact I am a Kannadiga. My full name is Anant U Deshpande And, before you ask, I'm not even from Maharashtra

Regards,
Anant
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:33   #4395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I am a Kannadiga. My full name is Anant U Deshpande And, before you ask, I'm not even from Maharashtra

Regards,
Anant
Oops, My bad! I read your name as Ananthu (not Anant U) which is a popular malayali name, in fact a kind of petname ! Anyways I do read those pages I mentioned on a regular basis everyday morning and will update you if there is anything to be careful about. When is your trip?

Most Viewed