Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 13:07   #4321
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi folks
I'm doing Madras - CBE - Guruvayoor 3rd week of Nov, I stay in OMR Madras, will it make sense to go via Tambaram - Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi as I understand that the 6L work is happening in Vellore Krishnagiri stretch, I drove to BLR and back end Sep and it was quite slow.
Just answered this in another thread. Since you stay close to GST take the GST.

Quote:
Ulundurpet-Salem is a SH? How's the road quality, median? Salem - Vijaymangalam is again part of the GQ and guess this is okay, but need help to get from Vijaymangalam to Kovai Pudur - time and road quality perspective. And need advice on route from Kovai Pudur to Guruvayoor.
Its a NH and not SH. And its also a part of golden quadrilateral and is now a 4-lane road, with almost all bypasses completed.

Quote:
On the return leg, I'm heading to Ooty from Guruvayoor and Ooty to Madras directly. Kindly suggest on a fast route from Guruvayoor to Ooty, road quality takes precedence over "fast".
Ranjit already answered this for you.

Either go by Coimbatttor or go by Nilambur. If you want to see lot of scenery take GVR-Kunnamkulam-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Wandoor-Nilambur-Gudalur-Ooty.
Old 8th November 2012, 19:30   #4322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@Ranjith - Maybe the Walayar-L&T bye pass stretch is now in a manageable condition ? An earlier post on this page by @pariwar says this stretch just has few potholes (he travelled during last week of October).
Guys
I am slightly confused by the conflicting posts on the condition of roads from Avinashi to Walayar and then onwards to Palakkad

Could you guys please confirm if the Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi road is more advisable ? I anyway drive only between 80-100kmph in my humble i10.

also last in September, when i checked on the same, Ampere saab had advised the above route but i totally missed the deviation to Kangeyam when one is taking the Ullundur pettai - Salem stretch.

Would appreciate if esteemed members can tell me where i need to exit the NH to take the above route

many thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:49   #4323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

Would appreciate if esteemed members can tell me where i need to exit the NH to take the above route

many thanks
This is where you take the diversion.This is the easiest way to do it.Take a left after Perundurai town towards Hotel Chennis (SIPCOT area) and then take the road to Kangeyam

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=15&t=m&z=15
Old 8th November 2012, 20:54   #4324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
This is where you take the diversion.This is the easiest way to do it.Take a left after Perundurai town towards Hotel Chennis (SIPCOT area) and then take the road to Kangeyam
Ranjit,

After the bypass is completed I see that in general the road conditions
are better. So even if one takes the first exit to the town, its not that difficult to spot the Kangeyam road.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:17   #4325
Senior - BHPian

I am planing to drive Bangalore-Cochin today evening, may be via Nilambur route, after finishing some work at Mysore. If I am able to enter first forest check post before 8pm, is there going to be issues at any other points?
Old 9th November 2012, 09:22   #4326
BHPian

I am also driving to kerala from Bangalore today afternoon. Planning to start by 3.pm from silk board. Taking the normal highway until palakkad and then the ottapalam shornur route. Heard there was a truck breakdown at kuthiran a couple of days back and traffic was stalled for almost 12 hours!
Old 9th November 2012, 09:29   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am planing to drive Bangalore-Cochin today evening, may be via Nilambur route, after finishing some work at Mysore. If I am able to enter first forest check post before 8pm, is there going to be issues at any other points?
No there shouldn't be any issues. You need to get in before 9PM, that is the only criteria. (Not sure if there are some time limits for exiting from the checkpost on the other side also - but even if it is present, I'm sure that would be fixed based on the time that would be taken by the slowest vehicles - may be 10:30 or 11 PM. For a car it shouldn't take more than about 45 minutes to cover the forest stretch)
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 09:36   #4328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are some deep potholes in the Kerala side of Nadugani Ghats at the curves. Be careful especially if it rains. Nothing to worry.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 11:22   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I am also driving to kerala from Bangalore today afternoon. Planning to start by 3.pm from silk board. Taking the normal highway until palakkad and then the ottapalam shornur route. Heard there was a truck breakdown at kuthiran a couple of days back and traffic was stalled for almost 12 hours!
That is quite the norm now a days,a 6 hour minimum wait at Kuthiran is becoming a weekly once affair now.Stay off NH47 till they finish the so called 4 laning
Old 9th November 2012, 16:28   #4330
BHPian

Any idea about present road conditions to Adoor - Ranni - Kumily ?

Many places in NH47 after Alleppey - Trivandrum have eroded their blacktop in the recent rains. You can still maintain good speeds but the comfort is a little bit down now.
Old 9th November 2012, 18:51   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
As pramodpk said watch out for Potholes on the Nadugani stretch and also be prepared for some mist. Even during afternoons it is misty there.

I am driving the same stretch tomorrow. Planning a 5am start from here.
Old 9th November 2012, 19:35   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=15&t=m&z=15

Thanks
just 1 query - will there be some markings in the NH for this diversion ? I missed it last time. When I check google maps, I see this is after the by pass ends. What should i look for in the NH where i take this left turn ?
Old 9th November 2012, 19:36   #4333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
As pramodpk said watch out for Potholes on the Nadugani stretch and also be prepared for some mist. Even during afternoons it is misty there.

I am driving the same stretch tomorrow. Planning a 5am start from here.
I'm planning a start at around the same time on my way to Kottayam. Will take NH209 and then toss a coin at Chamarajnagar to decide if I'm taking the Nilambur route or the one via Coimbatore.

So if you're planning to take NH209 also, keep a lookout for my red Figo with a TBHP sticker on the rear bumper

Last edited by kala : 9th November 2012 at 19:37.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 15:51   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Just did Chennai- Palakkad thru the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route. Initial 5-10kms from NH into Perundurai was a rough patch. Post that its good in general. Pollachi to TN border is terrible but surprisingly road is very good in the Kerala side ! Google says this route is about 20kms linger than the conventional Avinashi one. Also speeds will mostly be 80-100kms. And thankfully no rip off toll plazas !
Old 10th November 2012, 16:44   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
Just did Chennai- Palakkad thru the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam route. Initial 5-10kms from NH into Perundurai was a rough patch. Post that its good in general. Pollachi to TN border is terrible but surprisingly road is very good in the Kerala side ! Google says this route is about 20kms linger than the conventional Avinashi one. Also speeds will mostly be 80-100kms. And thankfully no rip off toll plazas !
Glad to know you managed to find the turn off!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks