Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 10:09   #2821
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes totally agree on this point.The funny thing is that one observes majority of the cars stopped for the "so called speeding" are non-KA registered vehicles.I paid up INR 300 for the so called speeding and on reaching home I notice,the receipt which I received had no details of the police inspector who fined me neither the speed.I am not sure whats going on there.
Yes, am not even sure whether the camera is working or that's actually a camera. He asked me to pay 1000 but told him am new to Blore and I think I gave 100-200.
Old 18th October 2011, 19:53   #2822
BHPian

Bangalore-Kerala-Bangalore in 2 days

Hi All!

I have a wedding to attend in Cochin this weekend and will be driving down from Bangalore.

I will be leaving for Cochin at 5pm on Saturday, Attend the Wedding on Sunday and leave for Bangalore at 5pm same day.

What is the best route to take considering most of the driving will be done at night? I usually take the Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Cochin route.

The last time I drove down was a couple of months ago and remember that there was a horrible stretch along the Palakkad-Thrissur route.

Are there any other routes I should try? Any route I should avoid?

Thanks!

Tassem.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:00   #2823
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Kerala-Bangalore in 2 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I usually take the Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Cochin route.

The last time I drove down was a couple of months ago and remember that there was a horrible stretch along the Palakkad-Thrissur route.
ranjitp1 has suggested earlier in this thread, to take:
PLKD-Ottappalam-shornur-TSR route. I'll also be doing this soon and have this question myself. Any latest updates on PKD-TSR NH-47? Also read that roads around Walayar is not good. Thanks.
vrvarier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 20:09   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
PLKD-Ottappalam-shornur-TSR route. I'll also be doing this soon and have this question myself. Any latest updates on PKD-TSR NH-47? Also read that roads around Walayar is not good. Thanks.
I'm going to try and see if the GPS knows this route. If it does, I'll give it a shot. If somebody can give names of POI that I can add as via points it'll be great!
Old 18th October 2011, 20:14   #2825
BHPian

Quoting ranjitp1: post #2779

"I do Hyd-Blr-Thrissur all the time and I have tried almost all the routes into Thrissur.My reccomendation would be:

Blr-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Kumbalangad-Kurancheri-Join Thrissur road-Athani-Thrissur.This should see you cover the distance in 9hours with ample stops and breaks.Other routes are all time consuming ones. "

Sorry, no idea of GPS/ POI.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:36   #2826
BHPian

Let me try plotting it on the GPS. Google maps shows a 100km increase in distance when I add these points. Will try it while returning home tonight.

I want to avoid bad stretches of the road where I will have to slow down to a crawl. Not because I want to drive fast, but I don't want any untoward events. News of people getting waylaid etc. are one too many these days for my comfort.

On a related note, what route does the usual buses take? (Shama, Kallada etc.)
Old 18th October 2011, 21:23   #2827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem
Let me try plotting it on the GPS. Google maps shows a 100km increase in distance when I add these points. Will try it while returning home tonight.
Quote:
The other option is : Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry-Tichur-Ernakulam.

Now Vadakkancherry-Trichur is about 30km which all the bad section that you need to endure. Rest all are brilliant roads.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Ernakulam, Kerala - Google Maps

Here is one reference to this route:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2504322

EDIT: Let me take back my comment. I did not realize you would driving at night. Though this route is very good, but it is very much possible, that you can lose your way. And you many any one on the road to guide you. Better to stick to GQ.

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2011 at 21:28.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 21:26   #2828
BHPian

Quote:

I want to avoid bad stretches of the road where I will have to slow down to a crawl. Not because I want to drive fast, but I don't want any untoward events. News of people getting waylaid etc. are one too many these days for my comfort.

On a related note, what route does the usual buses take? (Shama, Kallada etc.)
According to this post the Palakkad-trissur (NH47) stretch is patched up. I feel you can take this route, since you will be covering this stretch at night and traffic will be less. The Blr-Kochi buses take this route (NH47). This is not a deserted road and you don't need to worry about safety.

Last edited by bejoy : 18th October 2011 at 21:28.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 21:51   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I did not realize you would driving at night. Though this route is very good, but it is very much possible, that you can lose your way. And you many any one on the road to guide you. Better to stick to GQ.
I'm not worried about getting lost as the GPS can lead me back. But I guess, it's best I stick to the usual route and explore later during a day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
According to this post the Palakkad-trissur (NH47) stretch is patched up. I feel you can take this route, since you will be covering this stretch at night and traffic will be less. The Blr-Kochi buses take this route (NH47). This is not a deserted road and you don't need to worry about safety.
I agree. If the roads are patched up, I'd rather stick to the same route. It was horrible a couple of months ago.
Old 18th October 2011, 22:22   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All!

I have a wedding to attend in Cochin this weekend and will be driving down from Bangalore.

I will be leaving for Cochin at 5pm on Saturday, Attend the Wedding on Sunday and leave for Bangalore at 5pm same day.

What is the best route to take considering most of the driving will be done at night? I usually take the Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Cochin route.

Are there any other routes I should try? Any route I should avoid?

Thanks!

Tassem.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other option is : Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry-Tichur-Ernakulam.

Now Vadakkancherry-Trichur is about 30km which all the bad section that you need to endure. Rest all are brilliant roads.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Ernakulam, Kerala - Google Maps

Here is one reference to this route:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2504322

EDIT: Let me take back my comment. I did not realize you would driving at night. Though this route is very good, but it is very much possible, that you can lose your way. And you many any one on the road to guide you. Better to stick to GQ.
If its night time driving,do it via NH47 just for the simple reason that its a known devil rather than an unknown angel.

Having said that,if you leave Cochin at 5pm,you would do the thrissur-wadakancheri-shoranur-ottapalam-palakkad stretch between 7 & 10pm and its not at all late to do that road.There is ample inhabitation on the road to not let you feel lonely.Roads are excellent on this stretch.Thrissur-Palakkad via nh47 continues to be bad.It just got upgraded from worst to bad thats all and the problem is that the road shoulders have disappeared at many places because of road widening etc.The shoranur route would add around 25kms as opposed to the NH47 route.Some of the volvos have reverted back to the nh47 route from the shoranur route now.But I think I would still vouch for the shoranur route for road conditions and road width.Roads around Walayar are bad,and please exercise caution between Walayar & L&T bypass as 4 laning is going on and diversions are in place and at many places not well marked.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 22:26   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If its night time driving,do it via NH47 just for the simple reason that its a known devil rather than an unknown angel.
I totally agree. I'll take your advice of trying it on my return trip. Let's see how it goes.
Old 20th October 2011, 21:34   #2832
BHPian

Hi guys. I am driving to cochin this friday evening. Planning to take the usual blr-salem-coimbatore-palakkad-thrissur-ekm route. Any idea how is the road condition, especially palakkad-thrissur, coimbatore-walayar and avinashi-coimbatore?
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:33   #2833
BHPian

I drove from Banglore to Kochi yesterday. I could easily travel through the Walayar - Plkd - Tsr route. The roads are not that bad now. So I'd suggest people not to take any alternate routes.

Driving through Avinasi - Coimbatore stretch at night would be confusing. I will request anybody driving there at night to be really slow and extra careful. The wide roads just end like that and you will need to take small, narrow diversions every now and then.

Other than this, the drive is just a breeze. Cheers !
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:06   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Driving through Avinasi - Coimbatore stretch at night would be confusing. I will request anybody driving there at night to be really slow and extra careful. The wide roads just end like that and you will need to take small, narrow diversions every now and then.
I hope you have traveled after mid night.

Me too drove to Coimbatore from Bangalore yesterday. I didn't find this stretch much difficult may be because I was following long convoy of vehicles during peak hrs (I reached Coimbatore at 8pm). Anyways, the whole stretch and diversions are tarred and not that bad compared to earlier.

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd October 2011 at 11:08.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:58   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I drove from Banglore to Kochi yesterday. I could easily travel through the Walayar - Plkd - Tsr route. The roads are not that bad now. So I'd suggest people not to take any alternate routes.
Hi DieselAddikt-> Few days old comments below suggests Plkd-Ottappalam-Shoranur-Wadakkanchery-Trichur route instead of usual Plkd-Thrichur.

I am travelling BLR-Kottayam in next few days and I will be mostly reaching this section around midnight. Just want to re-confirm if the section in decent enough to avoid the alternative route during late night as others advised?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks