Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:04   #6106
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
There are no good hotels on Satyamangalam route till the outskirts of Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
I have done salem route numerous times and wanted to try the Satyamangalam route so wondering if there are any good ones before Satyamangalam for lunchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
AFAIK,No place to eat between CBE and Nijaguna Residency,Chamarajanagar.
Ramavilas at Sathy may be an option but I don't know their timings.

One reference here on the Coimbatore thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3064643

Also, if you're traveling via Pollachi, there are some good options (one of them very close to bus stand) but I don't remember the name

Last edited by NPV : 3rd December 2013 at 16:06.
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:58   #6107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Hello Folks! I'm planning to do a trip Hyderabad to Kerala on my Duke 390 sometime in mid of this month. I was looking for the latest updates on road conditions on either of these routes:

I'm putting up Bangalore at the start becuase I don't think there is any dispute in the route for Hyderbad > Bangalore.

Bangalore > Salem> Madurai > Thenkasi > Punalur > Kottarakkara > Pandalam

Bangalore > Salem > Aluva > Allapuzha > Changanessery > Pandalam

Bangalore > Salem > Aluva > Kayankulam > Mavelikkara > Pandalam

Please suggest which would be the fastest/safest route and needless to say I need to avoid any bad roads
I would vote for Thenkasi-Punalur. That road was in pretty decent shape last month.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:33   #6108
BHPian

Just back from a round trip from Kochi to Bangalore. The route taken was Coimbatore- Salem- Krishnagiri- Hosur- Bangalore. Happy to report that the roads are shipshape excepting the flyover works happening in Hosur. The Trichur Palakkad stretch is freshly laid but considering the heavy traffic, best tackled early in the morning or late at night.
Had breakfast while going and lunch while coming from Saravana Bhavan between Salem and Erode. Good place with excellent food and good toilet facilities. For the purely n-veg's there is a fried chicken outlet in the same compound!
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:27   #6109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks! I'm planning to do a trip Hyderabad to Kerala on my Duke 390 sometime in mid of this month...

Bangalore > Salem > Aluva > Allapuzha > Changanessery > Pandalam

How did you get this route? IMO, It should be

Bangalore > Salem > Dindigul > Cumbum > Theni > Kumily > Kanjirappally > Changanasseri > Pandalam.

Again this route can be refined further by reaching Tiruvalla directly from Thengana and NOT going thru Changanasseri. Please let me know if you finalise this route - I shall provide the details.

The route till Dindigul is top class and then till Kumily, stretches are being worked for 2 lane conversion. Kumily to Vandiperiyar may NOT be in the best condition owing to monsoons, but rest should be pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
Just back from a round trip from Kochi to Bangalore. The route taken was Coimbatore- Salem- Krishnagiri- Hosur- Bangalore. Happy to report that the roads are shipshape excepting the flyover works happening in Hosur. The Trichur Palakkad stretch is freshly laid but considering the heavy traffic, best tackled early in the morning or late at night...
How is the Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur shortcut? Have NOT been in good shape in the last 3-4 years I guess. Any changes now?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd December 2013 at 20:32.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:01   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How did you get this route? IMO, It should be
It's the most common route, I just skipped the places between salem-aluva and aluva-alappuzha, so what the route will actually look like is:

Salem > Trissur > Aluva > Aroor > Chertala > Alappuzha > Changanasseri > Pandalam

Quote:
Bangalore > Salem > Dindigul > Cumbum > Theni > Kumily > Kanjirappally > Changanasseri > Pandalam.
I prefer to stick to National/State Highways rather than take shortcuts, especially through the high ranges. I'm one of those who prefer the more faster/straighter option than the shorter harder option.

Besides, I'm very much drawn to do the first option of going through Thenkasi. Should be a straight forward option.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:09   #6111
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur shortcut? Have NOT been in good shape in the last 3-4 years I guess. Any changes now?
I don't think it's gotten any better so better to stick to the 4 lane tolled road, unless you want a slower, but scenic drive and don't mind some not so good stretches.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:10   #6112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its almost a route for trucks. Guys who dont want to pay toll. Many use the Old Dharmapuri highway from Hosur. At Dharmapuri they go to Pennagaram (on the Hogenakkal side) and take the road to Mecheri (on the Thoppur-Mettur road). And continue from there to Bhavani. That saves them quite some toll. But for us I think its lots of truck traffic.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:15   #6113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Remember to take the Nehru ORR to avoid Hyderabad city and connect straight to NH7 Blr side while coming from Nagpur.Nagpur-Hyd woul

PS:There is a very bad section at the MH-AP border after Pandharkawda and before Adilabad.That section has been like that for time immemorial.Also sections around Hinganghat out of Nagpur are average.Nagpur-ORR entry can be done in about 6-7hours.
Thanks ranjit for the information. It will help me for sure. Will be leaving Nagpur tomorrow around 8 AM and drive straight to Bangalore.
Old 4th December 2013, 09:25   #6114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's the most common route, I just skipped the places between salem-aluva and aluva-alappuzha, so what the route will actually look like is:

Salem > Trissur > Aluva > Aroor > Chertala > Alappuzha > Changanasseri > Pandalam...
Oh Ok. Could you tell me what will be the distance till Changanasseri from Salem or Bangalore?

Quote:
...I prefer to stick to National/State Highways rather than take shortcuts, especially through the high ranges.

Besides, I'm very much drawn to do the first option of going through Thenkasi. Should be a straight forward option.
Well, the route that I mentioned is NOT a shortcut, but NH220 (at least from Kumily). But as you said, there are lots of twists in that route.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:00   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Ok. Could you tell me what will be the distance till Changanasseri from Salem or Bangalore?.
Salem > Changanasseri via Thrissur is 424Km vs Changanasseri via Theni is 420Km

Use maps.google.com to find the other distances you are looking for.

Quote:
Well, the route that I mentioned is NOT a shortcut, but NH220 (at least from Kumily). But as you said, there are lots of twists in that route.
yeah, too many curves and sabarimala season rush are not exactly a good recipie.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:30   #6116
BHPian

Quote:
I prefer to stick to National/State Highways rather than take shortcuts, especially through the high ranges. I'm one of those who prefer the more faster/straighter option than the shorter harder option.

You Could try this variation for the tenkasi Route
Bangalore > Salem> Madurai > Kovilpatti> Puliyangudi>Thenkasi > Punalur > Kottarakkara > Pandalam
This way you get to avoid driving on the town roads with traffic. This would be longer by a 30 Kms but IMO it is the fastest. The road between Kovilpatti to Tenkasi is 2 lane but again in pretty good condition and not too much traffic.
If you leave Bangalore even By 4:00 AM you will reach Madurai by 9 or 10 AM and will be going into the towns during high traffic time. This would actually eat up into your travel time

Also, Please post an update on the route whichever route you take

Last edited by gandalf : 4th December 2013 at 11:36.
Old 4th December 2013, 14:25   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Kumarakom - Vadakkancherry - Pollachi - Annur - Sathyamangalam - Chamarajanagara - Bangalore
Also, it would be great if you can let me know good eat outs for lunch via this route.
There is a hotel in Annur (veg though) in the lines of Saravana Bhavans of TN. Had been there last week on the way from Blr to Cbe. Not sure of the name, sorry for that. I think it is this one http://goo.gl/kkdlpx A decent one and a new one, looks like.
After that the one I have tried is Nijaguna at Chamrajanagar. Pretty decent for families. I've not tried anything in Sathy yet.

Quote:
Salem > Trissur > Aluva > Aroor > Chertala > Alappuzha > Changanasseri > Pandalam
I think the above one is perfect if you prefer highways. One point is - once you enter Kerala your average speed will dip as there will be lots of traffic, and frequent signals even in 4-Lanes. This applies for Thrisuur-Aluva-Aroor-Chertala stretch as well. If it is a 2-Lane then it will get worse.

How I wish there was road from Tvm till Kasaragod which is like say, NH4.
Old 5th December 2013, 13:56   #6118
BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore to Cherthala tomorrow via NH 47. Start by 5 - 5:30 pm. Hope the construction qorks won't cause a lot of delays.
Old 5th December 2013, 16:20   #6119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen
Planning to do Bangalore to Cherthala tomorrow via NH 47. Start by 5 - 5:30 pm. Hope the construction qorks won't cause a lot of delays.
Expect traffic till Bommanahalli and Hosur town. Walayar should not be a problem.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 00:53   #6120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
You Could try this variation for the tenkasi Route
Bangalore > Salem> Madurai > Kovilpatti> Puliyangudi>Thenkasi > Punalur > Kottarakkara > Pandalam
This way you get to avoid driving on the town roads with traffic. This would be longer by a 30 Kms but IMO it is the fastest. The road between Kovilpatti to Tenkasi is 2 lane but again in pretty good condition and not too much traffic.
If you leave Bangalore even By 4:00 AM you will reach Madurai by 9 or 10 AM and will be going into the towns during high traffic time. This would actually eat up into your travel time

Also, Please post an update on the route whichever route you take
I have finalized on Hyd > Blr > Salem > Madurai > Tirunelveli > Tenkasi > Punalur > Kottarakkar > Pandlam.

It this route, although it might add another 150odd kilometers, barely adds another hour, thanks to the 2 lane all the way upto Tirunelveli. Should keep me away from all town traffic. It is only the stretch from Tirunelveli upto Kottarakkara that will be slower and single lane. From Kottarakkara to Pandalam should be smooth sailing on some of the best road so far in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post
I think the above one is perfect if you prefer highways. One point is - once you enter Kerala your average speed will dip as there will be lots of traffic, and frequent signals even in 4-Lanes. This applies for Thrisuur-Aluva-Aroor-Chertala stretch as well. If it is a 2-Lane then it will get worse.
Yup, very true, I want to totally avoid this road because I know the horror of traffic on this route. But kept it as an option because it is the most familiar and common one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks