Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 12:08   #6061
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiesubbaiah View Post

We would want to stop at Palakad for Lunch. Any suggestions on a place? We are all non-vegies who love to try local food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Oottupuraa Family Restaurant will be a good option during return.
Cheers!
Another good option is Hotel Malabar near Kanjikkode on the right hand side coming from Palakkad - if you are interested in sea food. Their squid and mussels dishes are good
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:13   #6062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli

Another good option is Hotel Malabar near Kanjikkode on the right hand side coming from Palakkad - if you are interested in sea food. Their squid and mussels dishes are good
My choice would be Malabar. Have been there a couple of times and food was fairly decent.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 17:28   #6063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Dhanush, if you got much time and need a scenic drive, consider:

Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Salem-Bangalore.

You will enjoy your XUV ride though its quite long (<600 km )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Add to the fun...
Kochi-Athirappally-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Sathyamangalam-Kanakpura-Bangalore
You guys are going to spoil me so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post
Did NH 209 last Saturday while coming from Bangalore to Kochi. Good roads throughout. Have been taking this route for over a year now as I got bored of Salem-CBE route
I think you can try this route http://goo.gl/xPvrfX The only stretch that I have not done is Karumathampatti-Annur. Annur-Bangalore is fine with less traffic throughout, except while crossing towns of Satyamangalam, Chamrajanagar, Kollegal and Kanakpura. Only in Dhimbam ghat you will see some truck traffic.

Btw, ampere and coolclouds have given you some awesome options

Thanks gk_fiesta for the detailed instructions.
Most probably, I will be taking the route suggested.
Shall update on return

OT: Looking forward to meeting you for the mini meet planned tomorrow
Old 30th November 2013, 16:36   #6064

Quote:
Its nice. But what I would suggest is avoid Trichur-CBE.

Trichur-Vadakkancherry-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Pulliampatti/Annur and on to 209. Its much-much more stress free.

This way you also avoid going through CBE totally. But you average speed should be coming down due to 2-lane roads and ghats. (Compared to 4-lane)
I am a newbie for the forum. I am travelling from Kanpur to Bangalore and then from there to Ernakulam. I have drivers with me until Bangalore and the vehicle is a Honda Jazz.

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam on 5th Dec 2013. I am hoping to leave Bangalore (say from Majestic area) around 10:00 AM, so that I can cover most of the distance in broad daylight. Any suggestions on the timings? Also, any suggestions on the routes that I should be avoiding in Bangalore city at that time?

After going through this thread, it seems to be better to avoid Palakkad and Coimbatore, through the Wadakkanchery - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi route. However, it also seems like Pollachi town can be tricky to find the way through. How hard is it?

Seasoned BHPians who commute this route, please help.
Old 30th November 2013, 17:21   #6065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphilip.iitk View Post
After going through this thread, it seems to be better to avoid Palakkad and Coimbatore, through the Wadakkanchery - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi route. However, it also seems like Pollachi town can be tricky to find the way through. How hard is it?
Do note there are Wadakkanchery(s). One starts with a "V" and the other with a "W". The one you are looking is "Vadakkencherry" ( and not "Wadakanchary"). The way to differentiate: The one with a V lies on the 4-lane road and has no railway station. The one with a "W" lies on the main railway line between Palakkad-TVM and NOT on the 4-lane GQ. So the route I would say : Bangalore-Salem-Avinahsi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkenchery-Trichur-Bypass-Angamaly-Ernakulam.I have increasingly become a fan of the Pollachi option. Simply because it nicely cuts off the traffic and road conditions between Avinashi, Coimbattore, Walayar, Palakkad and some sections beyond. Even last week I had some of my folks driving on that route to Palakkad and they were happy to take Pollachi option instead one via Coimbattore.

Also any constraints on 10AM start? I would always push for a 5AM start. Getting out of Bangalore can be a ordeal. And 10AM is surely not a good time.

EDIT: OT : Looks like the IITK tribe is growing. I see members with that attachment in their handle now !

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2013 at 17:28.
Old 30th November 2013, 17:31   #6066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
vehicle is a Honda Jazz.

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam on 5th Dec 2013. I am hoping to leave Bangalore (say from Majestic area) around 10:00 AM, so that I can cover most of the distance in broad daylight. Any suggestions on the timings?
it seems to be better to avoid Palakkad and Coimbatore, through the Wadakkanchery - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi route. However, it also seems like Pollachi town can be tricky to find the way through. How hard is it?
If you want to cover most distance during day time, start early in the morning, say around 4- 4:30 or so.
You will be in good roads through out till you reach Avinashi.
Starting early will also keep you fresher and it is less tiring.
This will also ensure that you finish the journey at Kochi before sundown.

If you start at 10 AM, you will be in the middle of bad roads by sunset and it will only get worser from then on.

The roads between Coimbatore and Alathur are broken.
However, it is not as bad as it used to be and is easily be negotiable.

If it had been me, I would stick to NH 47 and wouldn't take the de tour via Pollachi.
Still, if you are taking the detour, its all good roads through and through from Avinashi- Pollachi- Kollengode- Alathur.
Approaching Pollachi town, just stop by and ask someone for directions.

Drive safe
Old 30th November 2013, 17:39   #6067
BHPian

Quote:
However, it also seems like Pollachi town can be tricky to find the way through. How hard is it? Seasoned BHPians who commute this route, please help.
Welcome aboard!

I took Ampere's suggested route via Pollachi from Kerala this time around while returning from Kochin via Guruvayur.
Glad I did that as I missed the potholes in Palakkad route. No it is not that hard to drive through Pollachi town. It is
a small town for one and secondly any shopkeeper will direct you if you ask for road to Kerala - Kollengode/Alathur.
Try in Tamil "Kerala roads eppadi paganism?" . Happy driving, cheers
Old 30th November 2013, 18:29   #6068

Quote:
Do note there are Wadakkanchery(s). One starts with a "V" and the other with a "W".
Thanks for pointing it out. I have seen the W version, of course when on Train. I will update my trip planner accordingly.

Quote:
EDIT: OT : Looks like the IITK tribe is growing. I see members with that attachment in their handle now !
My e-mail is also the same way. It is much more easy, as many times I forget small things - like how to write my name, etc.

Also, in some previous posts, I have read horror posts about the Hosur - Krishnagiri stretch and advices on taking the TVS route (from Attible). Is that still on, or is the horror gone now? Kindly advice. I have constructed a google route plan based on information I have amassed from this thread. It will help me to refine it before I leave Kanpur.
Old 30th November 2013, 19:18   #6069
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
If it had been me, I would stick to NH 47 and wouldn't take the de tour via Pollachi.
Dhanush,

I agree that roads are much better now and they have been patched. But what does get in the way is the traffic. And Pollachi option kind of helps that way too.
That is the other reason, I love that option. If you can also add your take on how the traffic aspect is today that would be really helpful. Is it better now? Esp at Walayar ?Thats where I always end-up reading about delays and hold-ups; thanks to all the trucks. And if one wants to drive to Ernakulam, I think instead of Alathur, he can actually drive from Kollegode to Vadakkenchery. Alathur option comes in when the destination part is Guruvayur and nearby places. And it was also helpful, when Kuthiran was horrible. I think that part is now been patched up. So I would now go with Kuthiran in case the destination is south of Trichur along the GQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Try in Tamil "Kerala roads eppadi paganism?" .
Thats a good one! Add one more word at the end "......Saaar"

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2013 at 19:21.
Old 1st December 2013, 04:12   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do note there are Wadakkanchery(s). One starts with a "V" and the other with a "W". The one you are looking is "Vadakkencherry" ( and not "Wadakanchary"). The way to differentiate: The one with a V lies on the 4-lane road and has no railway station. The one with a "W" lies on the main railway line between Palakkad-TVM and NOT on the 4-lane GQ.
Btw, the V/W is a non-standard differentiation only in English; it is not present in Malayalam. The difference between the two places is in the length of the "kka" syllable (mathra, in Malayalam). If you are talking to the average Malayalee, then it is best to ask for "with/without railway station" or prefix the district name as "Thrissur/Palakkad Wadakkanchery" (the former is on the Shornur-Thrissur route, the latter is on NH47).
Old 1st December 2013, 05:49   #6071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Btw, the V/W is a non-standard differentiation only in English; it is not present in Malayalam. The difference between the two places is in the length of the "kka" syllable (mathra, in Malayalam). If you are talking to the average Malayalee, then it is best to ask for "with/without railway station" or prefix the district name as "Thrissur/Palakkad Wadakkanchery" (the former is on the Shornur-Thrissur route, the latter is on NH47).
Ha ha.
By now, I am sure that the poor soul will be confused as hell.
He would be saying: " V, W, ka, Kka, kaa... What the hell, I am not going to Kerala!!!"
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:08   #6072
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Vada/Wada, Rajith has already clarified some pages back: the one with railway station is Wada-KAAAN-cheri and the other is Vada-kan-cheri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Try in Tamil "Kerala roads eppadi paganism?" .
Kerala roads eppadi-nga would work better than eppadi-saar in Pollachi!

By the way, there are 3 roads to Kerala from Pollachi(Valparai road not included), so better to ask for Thrissur/Palakkad.
Old 1st December 2013, 11:17   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Planning for a road trip to Chalakudy on 26th Dec..

Car : Ritz VXi

Onward route: 26th Dec 5 AM start
HSR Layout - Kollegal - Sathyamangalam - CBE town - PLKD - Chalakudy.
Only me and my 5 yr old daughter. Any one want to join us, feel free.

Two questions here
1. How bad will be crossing CBE town around 12 noon? If its easy, I will visit a fried there.
2. Bad roads between CBE and Alathur OR traffic in Palladam/Pollachi and narrow roads/traffic of Nemmara& Kollangode? Not able to choose one.

Return:
29th Dec 4 AM start
Chalakudy - Kunnamkulam - Perumpilavu - Pattabmbi - Nilambur - Gudallur - Mysore - BGLR
Travelling with 3 more teenagers. They are travelling out of Kerala first time, hence choosing a scenic route and will stop at Mysore for a short sight seeing.

I suppose the only bad part is Nadugani section. How bad ?
Old 1st December 2013, 11:26   #6074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
1. How bad will be crossing CBE town around 12 noon? If its easy, I will visit a fried there.
Annur-Karumathampattu-NH47. That way you bypass CBE town.

Quote:
2. Bad roads between CBE and Alathur OR traffic in Palladam/Pollachi and narrow roads/traffic of Nemmara& Kollangode?
Many say its good now. If you are not OK with, you can do : Annur-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkenchery-Thrichur-Chalakudy.
(This option is about 20km more) Crossing Pollachi should not be that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you are talking to the average Malayalee, then it is best to ask for "with/without railway station" or prefix the district name as "Thrissur/Palakkad Wadakkanchery" (the former is on the Shornur-Thrissur route, the latter is on NH47).
Thats why even I use the rail and road pointers to differentiate the two towns.

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2013 at 11:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 11:29   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
He would be saying: " V, W, ka, Kka, kaa... What the hell, I am not going to Kerala!!!"
There are countless reasons that people I know cite for not going to Kerala - congested roads and terrible drivers, the killer private buses and tipper lorries, road closure during night time, Walayar check post, non-availability of train tickets year round, that even superfast trains have stops every 20-30 km, that flights via Jeddah/Dubai/Qatar often appear to be more convenient... let us add this one also to that list. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks