Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:29   #6016
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post

However, Coimbatore (after L&T stretch) to Palakkad still seems to be bad. How bad is it? Do you guys, who did it recently, feel that it is better to take an alternate route, say Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur route?
If you are starting from Coimbatore after your overnight stay, then it does not make sense to go via Pollachi. The CBE-PKD stretch is full of patchwork, but there are no unavoidable potholes. The ride will be jarring, though

Kuthiran till Mannuthi is in good condition
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:53   #6017
Distinguished - BHPian

Just did kochi-blr, the thrissur-pallakad is repaired though plenty of truck traffic and unmarked roads. Pallakad-CBE is patchy but manageable.
After a long time I didnt take the shornur route and glad to see that the roads are mostly repaired.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:40   #6018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Just did kochi-blr, the thrissur-pallakad is repaired though plenty of truck traffic and unmarked roads. Pallakad-CBE is patchy but manageable.
After a long time I didnt take the shornur route and glad to see that the roads are mostly repaired.
Trichur-Palakkad-CBE sector, is spite of being repaired, sees lots of traffic. Thats the only reason, I would suggest the Alathur/Pollachi/Palladam-Avinashi option. Amazing roads and very low on traffic. One just needs to know how to go past Pollachi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 19:43   #6019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Trichur-Palakkad-CBE sector, is spite of being repaired, sees lots of traffic. Thats the only reason, I would suggest the Alathur/Pollachi/Palladam-Avinashi option. Amazing roads and very low on traffic. One just needs to know how to go past Pollachi.
Did CBE-PKD-KOCHI yesterday, through Kuthiran. I think I should try the above route while going back. The road through Kuthiran is good in terms of surface, but lots of traffic, majority being trucks.

I don't know, but I somehow feel the main routes which connects to Kerala from neighbouring states are always in bad shape and two lane with lots of traffic, whether it is Valayar, TVM-Kanyakumari, Kasaragod-Mangalore etc. Is it just a coincidence? Or are there more reasons to it? I understand that there are good roads as well, which takes you to neighbouring states but my thoughts are around the main routes. I would love to drive into Kerala like I do from KA to TN, or KA to AP. May be the roads to KL is an indication of what to expect in Kerala?
Old 26th November 2013, 20:06   #6020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't know, but I somehow feel the main routes which connects to Kerala from neighbouring states are always in bad shape and two lane with lots of traffic, whether it is Valayar, TVM-Kanyakumari, Kasaragod-Mangalore etc. Is it just a coincidence? Or are there more reasons to it? I understand that there are good roads as well, which takes you to neighbouring states but my thoughts are around the main routes. I would love to drive into Kerala like I do from KA to TN, or KA to AP. May be the roads to KL is an indication of what to expect in Kerala?
Thats why this thread runs into 400+ pages !

Yes I think you should try the alternate routes. If you can manage via Kuthiran some how, then drive past Kuthiran to Vadakkancherry and divert from here to Kollengode which then connects you to Pollachi. At Pollachi, ask for the road to Palladam and at Palladam take the Avinashi road. This should connect you at the Avinashi 4-lane bypass. And you are back on the highway from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kochi-Trichur-Vadakkanchery-Pollachi-Tiruppur-Salem-Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur-Bangalore.
Why Tiruppur instead of Palladam? You can avoid that crowded town right ? Of course for you it would not have been a problem!

Quote:
Excellent road surface and sparse traffic. Traffic at Nenmara, Pollachi and Tiruppur was slightly high else the drive was comfortable.
Palacode route is not very smooth now :(
I think it still may be worth it for a weekend return.

Quote:
Btw, I did it in a two wheeler.
I have two smilies for this !

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2013 at 20:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:13   #6021
Senior - BHPian

Did Kochi-Bangalore yesterday.

Kochi-Trichur-Vadakkanchery-Pollachi-Tiruppur-Salem-Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur-Bangalore.

Excellent road surface and sparse traffic. Traffic at Nenmara, Pollachi and Tiruppur was slightly high else the drive was comfortable.

Palacode route is not very smooth now :(

coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:44   #6022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it just a coincidence? Or are there more reasons to it? I understand that there are good roads as well, which takes you to neighbouring states but my thoughts are around the main routes. I would love to drive into Kerala like I do from KA to TN, or KA to AP. May be the roads to KL is an indication of what to expect in Kerala?
The situation is just the opposite in one of the major roads to North Kerala from Bangalore : the Bangalore-Mysore-Virajpet-Kannur stretch. Roads are excellent in the Kerala side, but are/were in very bad condition once we enter KA state. The Makutta ghats which is entirely in karnataka was non motorable for entire 2 years before it was finally repaired. Now the stretch between Hunsur and Virajpet is in terrible condition. By the time this gets relaid completely, the ghat section will start to deteriorate!
Old 26th November 2013, 20:53   #6023
BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's a feat - covering it in one day!
Could you slightly elaborate on overall time taken, frequency of breaks, which vehicle etc.?

I have plans to do it someday, soon!
Old 26th November 2013, 21:26   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why Tiruppur instead of Palladam? You can avoid that crowded town right ? Of course for you it would not have been a problem!
It was one straight Pollachi-Palladam-Tiruppur-Uthukuli-Perundurai. Both sides tarred near Mannuthy area now.

Quote:
I think it still may be worth it for a weekend return.
Certainly worth for peace of mind and smooth surface. it could save three tolls in near future (L&T, one coming up near Karumathampatti (?) and Perundurai)

Quote:
I have two smilies for this !
It was a 2003 model Bajaj boxer. Started at 8.30am and reached Bangalore at 7.30pm, non stop. I was supposed to transport the bike in a bus but last minute they asked me to travel on Monday due to too much luggage on Sunday.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:39   #6025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was one straight Pollachi-Palladam-Tiruppur-Uthukuli-Perundurai. Both sides tarred near Mannuthy area now.
This is the exact point I was asking. At Palladam you have an option of directly driving to Avinashi. I hear one can easily lose out on this can end up driving to Tirupper.
Also how easy was it to cross Tiruppur?

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2013 at 21:40.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:56   #6026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that's a feat - covering it in one day!
Could you slightly elaborate on overall time taken, frequency of breaks, which vehicle etc.?

I have plans to do it someday, soon!
Well, in detail:

The bike was a 2003 model boxer, not being used for last few months. Just did an oil change last week.

Ernakulam - 8.30 am
10-15 mins stop after Chalakkudy for PUC certificate (it was the first shop opened)
Trichur toll: 10am

Ernakulam-Trichur toll, 65 kms approx
Found Speedview not working and restarted from there.

I felt this bike technically unsafe to go above 50kmph except for 1-2 overtakes.

It had some petrol and filled at Kochi for Rs. 500 and the tank was full.

Had a heavy breakfast hence no stop anywhere. Total 20 mins stop time which includes two photo shoots, day time traffic/signals at Nenmara, Pollachi, Palladam/Tiruppur/Salem/Palacode/Hosur etc.

The GPS data is from Trichur toll till Chandapura circle where I stopped for a break/visit friend.

Quote:
This is the exact point I was asking. At Palladam you have an option of directly driving to Avinashi. I hear one can easily lose out on this can end up driving to Tirupper.
Also how easy was it to cross Tiruppur?
No issues with crossing Tiruppur. I can read Tamil a bit and there are sign boards at most of the places throughout. Moreover, Traffic is much lower in Tiruppur route and also shorter.

Mods: Please merge
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-25-nov.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-251.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-252.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-253.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th November 2013 at 09:46. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 26th November 2013, 22:33   #6027

Quote:
No issues with crossing Tiruppur. I can read Tamil a bit and there are sign boards at most of the places throughout. Moreover, Traffic is much lower in Tiruppur route and also shorter.

Mods: Please merge
Few of the people, I've seen got through Tirupur without ease..

Isn't it better to take the Palladam- Vanjipalayam Railway cross- Avinashi bypass route which has still lower traffic compared to the Tirupur City traffic and by distance is just 5-6kms more?
I guess one would save at least 20-30 mins.

Also, would like to hear more about the route details navigating through Tirupur town. Does it pass through the Railway Station area?

Heard some prefer this route to bypass Tirupur town too: http://goo.gl/maps/uDQGZ
Old 27th November 2013, 06:20   #6028
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you take this route ? Map Link
This one bypasses Tiruppur and was posted by @denver85 sometime back.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:53   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
Did you take this route ? Map Link
This one bypasses Tiruppur and was posted by @denver85 sometime back.
NPV, I didn't take any bypass route but went through city route itself.

There is a right turn sign board to Uthukuli little before town which is quite longer. Instead, continued straight on main road via HPO to Uthukuli which is not very difficult.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:45   #6030

Bangalore to Cherai - Best Route Request

Hi,

It has been a while since My Family took a trip out of town and hence we have planned to do a good New Year trip to Cherai. I was trying to understand which route is the best to take? Pls suggest which routes have good roads, good to see nature and an enjoyable drive.

Route 1
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Gudalur -> Nilambur -> Cherpulassery -> Guruvayoor -> Cherai

or

Route 2
Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharampuri -> Salem -> Erode -> Thiruppur -> Coimbatore -> Palakaad -> Thrissur -> Cherai

The thing is that route 1 is 455Kms and route 2 is 524Kms.... which do i take?

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks