Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 06:48   #5986
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Robi, Answers inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Gundulpet to Vythiri, ideal route? Time required?
This is is the standard Waynad route NH212. About 100km. Should take about 2 hours max.

Quote:
Vythiri to Guruvayur, which would be the best route? How much time would it take approximately ? I would be starting from Vythiri around 1pm.
Two options:

1. Go further on 212, take the Calicut bypass on to NH17. Drive via Kottakal/Kuttipuram/Eddapal. At Eddapal get off NH17 and take the SH to Kunnamkulam and come to Guruvayur. This is about 160km (as I see in google). Should take about 4 hours.

2. Second more "scenic" options: Is about 200km.

Drive back towards Gundlupet. At Chundale just before Kalpetta, take the road to Meppadi and continue further where you hit the Gudalur-Nilambur road. Beyond Nilambur come down to Guruvayur via Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur. Drive via Meppadi tea estate is beautiful. And roads around Nilambur-Perinthalmanna are twisties. Though, I heard many postthat quite many sections are getting bad here

Quote:
Guruvayur-Thrissur, best option? any shortcuts/roads to avoid?
No short-cuts. Just one road here.

Quote:
Cochin to Bangalore, I am planning to take the tried and tested route via Thrissur-Shornur-Ottapalam-Pallakad-Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri-Hosur
Perfect.

Ideas:

- If you hear of traffic at Walayar, you can also try Trichur-Vadakkancherry-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi option to bypass the congested CBE-Palakkad sector.
- If you are coming back on any of those vacation return days, and if you think Krishnagiri-BLR would be bad, try Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamanagalam-Hosur-TVS-Attebele option. Do note there any many rough sections here as the road goes through villages, but if you know you are going stuck at toll booths, this is a very good option.
- Off course do take good care of your "VW" kids
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 07:14   #5987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Overall, this is a bit of a circuitous route; the Gundlupet-Nilambur-Guruvayur route should save you about 50-60 km.
Thanks a bunch. I know its a bit of a round about route but I need to be in Vythiri village for a meeting and Guruvayur for a marriage, hence, cant avoid the aforesaid route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Robi, Answers inline.

This is is the standard Waynad route NH212. About 100km. Should take about 2 hours max.

Two options:

1. Go further on 212, take the Calicut bypass on to NH17. Drive via Kottakal/Kuttipuram/Eddapal. At Eddapal get off NH17 and take the SH to Kunnamkulam and come to Guruvayur. This is about 160km (as I see in google). Should take about 4 hours.

2. Second more "scenic" options: Is about 200km.

Drive back towards Gundlupet. At Chundale just before Kalpetta, take the road to Meppadi and continue further where you hit the Gudalur-Nilambur road. Beyond Nilambur come down to Guruvayur via Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur. Drive via Meppadi tea estate is beautiful. And roads around Nilambur-Perinthalmanna are twisties. Though, I heard many postthat quite many sections are getting bad here

Ideas:

- If you hear of traffic at Walayar, you can also try Trichur-Vadakkancherry-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi option to bypass the congested CBE-Palakkad sector.
- If you are coming back on any of those vacation return days, and if you think Krishnagiri-BLR would be bad, try Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamanagalam-Hosur-TVS-Attebele option. Do note there any many rough sections here as the road goes through villages, but if you know you are going stuck at toll booths, this is a very good option.
- Off course do take good care of your "VW" kids
Thanks a lot Ampere especially for the scenic options. I knew I would get a detailed route info from you.

I will be taking the Polo this time since I have never been on some sectors planned for this trip and can risk taking scenic routes with it (no low GC woes)

As for the Cochin-BLR, I will time it to avoid traffic as much as possible. Hoping to return with some images to share.

Regards,
RoBi
Old 15th November 2013, 12:41   #5988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some help on a road trip across Kerala.
When are you doing this trip? Hope it is not planned for tomorrow- The left parties have declared a harthal tomorrow in the districts of Wayanad and Idukki in opposition to the central government's decision to implement 'Kasthuri Rangan report' on conservation of western ghats.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 15:03   #5989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
When are you doing this trip? Hope it is not planned for tomorrow- The left parties have declared a harthal tomorrow in the districts of Wayanad and Idukki in opposition to the central government's decision to implement 'Kasthuri Rangan report' on conservation of western ghats.
Thanks for that info. I was planning to travel to Kalpetta tomorrow. Guess it's better to postpone that to next week since harthals in Kerala can sometimes be troublesome.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:49   #5990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its planned for Monday. Hope it settles down by then. Thanks for the info though.
Old 15th November 2013, 17:14   #5991
BHPian

For a first-timer on highway on long journey with no experience of driving on hill roads, is the NH209 BLR-palakkad route (NICE Road-kanakapura-malavalli-chamarajanagar-sathyamangalam-annur-kanjikode-palakkad) doable/advisable when compared to the Salem / CBE route? Reason iam considering NH209 is for the scenic drive and lower toll charges.

TIA.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:01   #5992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
For a first-timer on highway on long journey with no experience of driving on hill roads, is the NH209 BLR-palakkad route (NICE Road-kanakapura-malavalli-chamarajanagar-sathyamangalam-annur-kanjikode-palakkad) doable/advisable when compared to the Salem / CBE route? Reason iam considering NH209 is for the scenic drive and lower toll charges.
The route you plan to take is mostly 2-laned. If you plan to enjoy the scenery, then take it easy on the throttle and take breaks as and when you feel so. There's no problem in doing this stretch, as long as you aren't worried about the lack of (m)any options for refreshment and rest-rooms.

IIRC, the only toll you'll pay would be on the L&T bypass road, other than NICE road.

Start early, 5 o'clock would be a good time to get out of the city limits and hit the rather free Kanakapura road. Please be wary of the private buses when the highway enters some of the villages enroute. The roads are narrow and it's a tight squeeze for two cars. The ghat roads are 99% well laid. There are a few gargantuan potholes near the KA-TN border before Dhimbam.

If you've managed the traffic inside Bangalore city and in Palakkad town, this is a cakewalk for you.

The Salem route is mostly 4-laned, so the drive will be relaxed almost all along, and you have plenty of options for refreshment and rest-rooms. As a bonus, you can fill up at the Lorry Owner's Association fuel station after Salem, that offers a 60 paise discount on every Litre of diesel (if your car is an oil burner, that is).

Watch out for the SETC/TNSTC buses and trucks that drive on the wrong side at Avinashi.

As a tip, you can find some other car that can act as a pilot for you. Follow it at a safe distance - you'll get enough time to react to potholes, speedbreakers, diversions, etc.

Last edited by silversteed : 15th November 2013 at 18:03.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:50   #5993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Thanks for that info. I was planning to travel to Kalpetta tomorrow. Guess it's better to postpone that to next week since harthals in Kerala can sometimes be troublesome.
Yes, better postpone. I am hearing news reports of a lot of sporadic violence in places like Thamarassery chungam, adivaram, and even Kottiyoor in Kannur. Police had to resort to firing towards sky to disperse a violent mob in Adivaram.
Old 15th November 2013, 21:30   #5994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Monday is an all-state hartal, as per various newspapers. It seems there was a lot of violence in Kozhikode today.
Old 15th November 2013, 21:42   #5995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its planned for Monday. Hope it settles down by then. Thanks for the info though.
you may have to change plans! Left parties have now called for a kerala statewide harthal on Monday. It is not yet clear whether Wayanad district is also included that day because they have already declared harthal there tomorrow. Anyways If you were to enter Kerala on that day, do it only after 6 PM.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 15th November 2013 at 21:43.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:07   #5996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not yet clear whether Wayanad district is also included that day because they have already declared harthal there tomorrow.
I am watching news now. All hartals of tomorrow (Wayanad etc.) are postponed, and will be held along with the state-wide one on Monday.

Edit: But it seems other planned protests (blockade of government offices) will proceed as per plan. So it is best to stay away I guess.

Last edited by binand : 15th November 2013 at 22:11.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:21   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Doc, For more Info please feel free to call on me. I am from Guruvayur. Drop in if you find time.

Nine double 8 six zero 4 five nine one zero - text or call.
Cheers
Jay
Old 15th November 2013, 22:23   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am watching news now. All hartals of tomorrow (Wayanad etc.) are postponed, and will be held along with the state-wide one on Monday.

Edit: But it seems other planned protests (blockade of government offices) will proceed as per plan. So it is best to stay away I guess.
There is total confusion now! Asianet news channel reports that tomorow's Idukki harthal is ON, and harthals in some panchayats of Kannur and Malappuram has been postponed to Monday. No mention of Wayanad anywere. Presume that Wayanad wil observe harthal tomorrow. Anyways, as Binand said, it is better to stay away from Wayanad-Kozhikode road til the situation eases. There seem to be widespread violence in Adivaram as observed from the visuals on TV. Even 3 KaSRTC buses were stoned, reports say.
Old 15th November 2013, 23:25   #5999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is total confusion now!

The Monday hartal is LDF's. There are several other protests planned, including UDF's, Kerala Congress's and even by some religious outfits. It is best to avoid Kerala for a few days, looks like.

Further, few KA government officials were held as hostages in Kannur it seems, and their vehicle destroyed. Once that news gets coverage this side, it might not be advisable to move around in KL registered vehicles in some KA districts.
Old 16th November 2013, 15:38   #6000
Distinguished - BHPian

I am planning to go via kutta as I have to reach vythiri village on 18th for a meeting. The bandh is from 6am so I am planning to reach there before 6am. The problem is that the sultan battery road is closed from 9pm-6am. The conference guys told me that the road via kutta is open 24hrs. Any idea about the exact route? How much time it would take? I believe the road is in pretty bad shape, so would be glad if anyone who has taken that road recently can update me on the current situation.

Last edited by robimahanta : 16th November 2013 at 15:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks