Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 19:38   #5896
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Route of Chinnakanal-admimali-Neiramangalam-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Trithunipura-Vaikom-CM, Kumarakom turned out to be perfect; as my Duster fuse for USB failed, I could not use the GPS; iPAD coverage thro' Cell One was spotty. As a result, lost my way out of Tripunithura; there were a few in-town diversions as well :( All the same
made it in 5 1/2 hours. The Vaikom road is in pretty good condition except for a few stretches closer to Kumarakom. Of course if you locate Club Mahindra without a Treasurehunt, you are a genius!!

Cheers
you should take a left turn at Thiruvankulam before Thrippunithura. the distance signs in this highway(NH49) is no good. in fact, distance signs is horrible anywhere east of Cochin while there are many tourist interests lie including Munnar. they should've put a sign for Vaikom,Kottayam,Kumarakom etc at Thiruvankulam. too bad you entered Thrippunithura. there is no harm in asking routes when in confusion as we all should've experienced travelling kms through wrong routes.

Last edited by deepclutch : 24th October 2013 at 19:40.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 19:40   #5897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Has anyone got updates on Mettur-Bhavani stretch? I'm considering that option to bypass Salem. Leaving Bangalore at 3 o'clock in the afternoon would mean I will delve into peak Friday evening traffic at Salem.

Had the roads been good, I would've taken Attibele-Rayakottai-Palacode route to avoid Hosur too, but my experience last week wasn't great.
If you just want to bypass Salem, better take Omallur route.
Mettur - Bhavani route was crowded and much tiring when I did it a year back.

Omallur route also not far different. You have to cut through few small towns and expect high lorry traffic.

Since you we not happy with Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri route, I would recommend you to stay on NH7-NH47 itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What happened with the Fuse?

And the route you mentioned was one of my first long distance drives. I remember @deepclutch and @coolclouds helping me out some 3-4 years back!

Here is the exact post on how to go past Tripunithura.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1573268

That was in some page # 60. Can't believe we have gone 300 more pages !

And I dont even know, if the same status holds !
Anyone doing Tripunithura-Thiruvamkulam-Muvattupuzha during peak hours should expect at least 30 minutes to cross Tiruvamkulam Jn. The roads are broken for about 100 meters just before Thiruvamkulam and the queue builds up till Hill Palace these days.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 20:04   #5898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Anyone doing Tripunithura-Thiruvamkulam-Muvattupuzha during peak hours should expect at least 30 minutes to cross Tiruvamkulam Jn. The roads are broken for about 100 meters just before Thiruvamkulam and the queue builds up till Hill Palace these days.
yes. it is totally broken all the way after keshavanpady till Thiruvankulam.

alternate route Kuzhikkad-Varikkoli, although not in good condition is faster:
Those travelling between Kochin and Muvattupuzha may have a look
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2910935

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2911193

Last edited by deepclutch : 24th October 2013 at 20:06.
Old 24th October 2013, 21:06   #5899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
yes. it is totally broken all the way after keshavanpady till Thiruvankulam.

alternate route Kuzhikkad-Varikkoli, although not in good condition is faster:
Those travelling between Kochin and Muvattupuzha may have a look
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2910935

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2911193
Another option for the time being would be:
Kaloor-Kakkanad-Infopark-Karimugal-Puthencruz-Muvattupuzha.

Also heard that fund sanctioned for Piravom-Elanji-Monippally road. Once the work is completed, it should be the shortest route to Pala from Ernakulam
(Ernakulam-Tripunithura-Nadakkavu (Left)-Mulanthuruthy - Piravom-Elanji-Monippally-Uzhavoor-Valavoor/Marangattupally-Pala)
Old 25th October 2013, 21:18   #5900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What happened with the Fuse?
Well this is a repeat of what happened with my Duster on my drive to Yercaud soon after I took delivery; I connected my MMI Blaupunkt GPS and the fuse blew. Then I got help from Coimbatore Renault service; only on replacement I was able to use the music system and also the GPS. When I brought it to Whitefield Renault he checked out the GPS with the car charger and cleared it. Then I never had to use the GPS till this trip till Theni;

So here I am in Kumarakom stuck with non-functional GPS and no music :( I have to figure out if at my next stop Kochi, I can get some help from Kochi Renault to fix the fuse.

Yes Tripunithura was partly my mistake; I could not figure out the diversion sign (partly erased); I took the right in stead of the left. Well I paid Rs 3 each way for for some bridge toll and looked pretty silly to those guys I am sure. The guys I asked were helpful but then they also did not have idea about the diversion I guess.

Cheers
Old 25th October 2013, 21:50   #5901
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Well this is a repeat of what happened with my Duster on my drive to Yercaud soon after I took delivery; I connected my MMI Blaupunkt GPS and the fuse blew. Then I got help from Coimbatore Renault service; only on replacement I was able to use the music system and also the GPS. When I brought it to Whitefield Renault he checked out the GPS with the car charger and cleared it. Then I never had to use the GPS till this trip till Theni;
Do you know how to change the fuse? Manual has the steps to replace a fuse.

Alternatively does the charger in the back seat work or are both not functional?
Old 27th October 2013, 19:08   #5902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz View Post
Hi diesellover,

I know this is here but can you tell me about your trip to gavi. It is the part after you reached there that iam interested in.Also is it worth a nights stay?
It's definitely worth the stay. They charge 2200/- per head for overnight stay package which includes food, accommodation, trekking, boating and safari.
The place is clean and food is decent. Do not expect the luxury of a hotel though. This time of the year is not ideal for trekking as there are leeches everywhere. It would be good if you can plan the visit during Nov end or December. Please PM me if you need more details.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:44   #5903
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering how the roads from Coimbatore till Cochin are currently? Anything to look out for? I remember the roads were very bad a few years ago. Have not driven since then.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:13   #5904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I was wondering how the roads from Coimbatore till Cochin are currently? Anything to look out for? I remember the roads were very bad a few years ago. Have not driven since then.
I came by bus on Saturday eve, its patched up and repaired. Very much drivable expect the heavy traffic. Also to set the expectation right, my relative drove from Bangalore on his Civic without any issues
Old 28th October 2013, 17:25   #5905
BHPian

I'm visiting a place called kanakkanoor on my way to Alleppey from Bangalore. Planning to deviate from NH-47 as below. The roads must be good, as I can see from this thread. Any experts on the locality?

Deviate from Alathur and take the pazhayannur road. Turn left from Padoor. I can re-join NH via the Wadekkenchery-Padoor road, right? All guesses from google maps.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=14&t=m&z=14

Last edited by vrvarier : 28th October 2013 at 17:28. Reason: change
Old 28th October 2013, 17:26   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Drove last night to Bangalore via CBE.

Madukkarai-Walayar: There are potholes, but nothing catastrophically large
Walayar-Palakkad: Better than the former. There are a couple of diversions, and the road surface is patched up.
Palakkad-Alathur: Not bad. Most of the surface is good and conducive for highway speeds.

Don't have firsthand info on Alathur and beyond, but I heard that it's decent. Kuthiran is in the best shape after many years, but don't expect a silky smooth surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
I'm visiting a place called kanakkanoor on my way to Alleppey from Bangalore. Planning to deviate from NH-47 as below. The roads must be good, as I can see from this thread. Any experts on the locality?
If you don't have to go to Padur or Pazhayannur, then stick to NH-47 for your trip to Alappuzha. It's a faster option. The route that you posted is about 20km longer, and apart from the excellent road surface, you don't have any advantage.

Where is this Kanakkanoor, btw? Google Maps shows a Kanakkanur near Mettur, TN. Guess that's not the one you're looking for, are you?

If that's indeed the place you want to go to, then stay on Mettur-Bhavani road, that's heard to be in good shape, and then join NH-47.

Last edited by silversteed : 28th October 2013 at 17:35.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:57   #5907
BHPian

Kanakkanoor is the end point in my map. (point B). Wikimapia shows this place correctly. Yes, I need to visit this place, and hence the deviation. Closest places named in google maps is Manappadam, padur/padoor etc. Visited here many years ago. Excellent village roads.

Another question: I may leave BLR on 31st evening. Last year, we did the same and it was a disaster. Left BLR by 2pm, and reached salem by 9pm! All the crackers purchase crowd had choked up NH-7 at hosur. Anyone can hazard a guess this time? I'm planning to stay at Travellers Inn after salem.

thanks.
Old 28th October 2013, 18:45   #5908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Deviate from Alathur and take the pazhayannur road. Turn left from Padoor. I can re-join NH via the Wadekkenchery-Padoor road, right? All guesses from google maps.
It is very much doable. I had driven from Tirur to Vadakkencherry last November and went via Plazhy junction-Pattola-Manappadam. The roads are narrow, but were in decent condition then. The entire stretch is very scenic. I was guided by ranjitp then. He would be able to perhaps throw more light. ivento is from Pazhayannur and he may also be able to help.
Old 28th October 2013, 19:31   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It is very much doable. I had driven from Tirur to Vadakkencherry last November and went via Plazhy junction-Pattola-Manappadam. The roads are narrow, but were in decent condition then. The entire stretch is very scenic. I was guided by ranjitp then. He would be able to perhaps throw more light. ivento is from Pazhayannur and he may also be able to help.
Quote:
Kanakkanoor is the end point in my map. (point B). Wikimapia shows this place correctly. Yes, I need to visit this place, and hence the deviation. Closest places named in google maps is Manappadam, padur/padoor etc. Visited here many years ago. Excellent village roads.

Another question: I may leave BLR on 31st evening. Last year, we did the same and it was a disaster. Left BLR by 2pm, and reached salem by 9pm! All the crackers purchase crowd had choked up NH-7 at hosur. Anyone can hazard a guess this time? I'm planning to stay at Travellers Inn after salem.

thanks.
Yes you are routes are spot on,but why would you want to go back to the NH47.You can come back onto Pazhayannur road and continue towards thrissur via pazhayannur-wadakancheri-thrissur.roads are in excellent condition.Also you can get to alathur via pollachi kollengode-alathur.i would prefer this route any day over the nh47.nh47 has just been patched up nothing great about it and the traffic is humongous thanks to heavy vehicle traffic.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 20:00   #5910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier

thanks.
Attibelle-(right)-Palacode-Dharmapuri route, though a two lane highway, may save you considerable amount of time since the rush from Attibelle to Hosur may be very high due to Cracker shopping.

@Pramod: Kuthiran is in silky smooth shape
Btw, which route did you take while going this time?
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks