Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 16:57   #5791
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Many thanks Jacs. based on your inputs, I think the total drive time till Vandiperiyar would be around 5.5 hrs including some pit stops. I have a reservation at Gavi and need to communicate the vehicle number to KFDC the day before I travel. They will ensure entry at forest check posts.
From Vandiperiyar I will take the Vallakadavu/Moozhiyar route to Gavi.
What is the distance between Gavi and Vandiperiyar? Google give 28kms but the KFDC guy told me it's 40kms.
Yes, 5 hours is sufficient for drive till Vandiperiyar. Have driven only till Vallakadavu. Heard Gavi is about an hour drive. Roads were quite narrow while I travelled, be careful of the Diesel autos and Trip jeeps who literally zoom through these routes.

Few stops you can consider
  • If you are coming via Ponkunnam from Pala, there is a good Farm Fresh outlet (Forgot the exact name though) on the way to Kanjirappally after the S turn near Maruti service station. May be 3KMs from Ponkunnam on left hand side. You can try out a tender-coconut shake or Passion fruit juice there. Also some good puddings.
  • After the Pullupara checkpost (after peruvanthanam), the view on left side is amazing. You can stop by one of the roadside restaurants for a tea break (no serious food). You can peacefully enjoy the breeze and few clicks and proceed.
  • Parunthumpara is before Vandiperiyar while driving from Peermade, but quite time-taking. About 8-10KMs from KK Road. May be if time permits during return ride?
  • Pattumala church is amidst of tea gardens on KK road itself before Vandiperiyar. Worth stopping as its just road side.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 17:29   #5792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any particular reason you do not want to consider the third option, assuming that was Kochi-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-byepass-Malaparambu junction-Thamarassery-Kalpetta? I feel this is the best route any day. Roads are also not bad.
Thanks Sandsun. As Kala mentioned this route is not showing up in Google Maps. So I added the deviations in GM and came up with the below route. Is this the one you intended? If not, could you please add a route map for Cochin to Wayanad?
Attached Images

Old 9th October 2013, 19:21   #5793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Thanks Sandsun. As Kala mentioned this route is not showing up in Google Maps. So I added the deviations in GM and came up with the below route. Is this the one you intended? If not, could you please add a route map for Cochin to Wayanad?
Yes, that looks more or less like the route he was referring to. (Might have been clearer if you had posted a google maps link instead of an image - but looking at the points you've marked and the distance GM is showing, it looks right)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 19:25   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this seem to be the route both of us suggest. For added reference,here is the gmaps link for the same: http://goo.gl/maps/OHU9G

Detailed route would be Ernakulam-Aluva-Chalakudy-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam (Do consider the route to byepass Kunnamkulam town, as suggested by Kala in his reply)-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valanchery-Kottakkal(Changuvetti)-Edarikode-Chelari-Calicut University-Ramanattukara (Take the byepass towards Mangalore/Kannur: The byepass goes straight, and the road to Kozhikode city deviates towards the left) Take right at Malaparambu junction. (it is a junction with the signal - The next main junction after the turn off/junction towards Calicut Medical college) - From Malaparamba, you get onto NH 212. Go through Kunnamangalam-Koduvally-Thamarashery-Adivaram - Wayanad Ghats-Lakkidi-Vythiri-Chundale-Kalpetta.

Be extremely careful on the stretch from Valanchery to Ramanattukara, especialy some curves like Vattapara, Panambra etc . This is One of the most dangerous stretches on entire NH66. Wayanad ghat should be in pristine condition. It is raining even now, so be prepared for that.

Also which part of Wayanad are you planning to stay? Kalpetta/Sulthan Bathery/ Mananthavady ?

Last edited by sandsun7 : 9th October 2013 at 19:27.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:28   #5795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Also which part of Wayanad are you planning to stay? Kalpetta/Sulthan Bathery/ Mananthavady ?
Hi Sandsun, I will be staying at Rainbow Holiday Homes @ Kalpetta. Off topic, by any chance do you know if access to kurava island is closed or not?
Old 9th October 2013, 22:21   #5796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
You can even take Pala - Ponkunnam - Kanjirappally or Pala - Erattupetta - Kanjirappally. First one is slightly shorter. Roads are not heard to be worse yet.
Hi Jacs, when did you hear last about the conditions of these routes ? My destination is ettumanoor (from chennai) and i am looking for the best route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If travelling to places east of Ponkunnam, I think the route via Pala would be the better one since the roads are wider and quite straight forward. (Not sure whether Pala-Erattupetta-Kanjirappally or Pala-Ponkunnam would be preferred one since I haven't been on those roads lately - both roads used to be quite good till a while back)
I am kind of trying to avoid the traffic in Pala and was wondering if the route via manarcadu would be any better in that aspect. Also i could see this route http://goo.gl/maps/VmWFn , though not sure about the traffic/road conditions.

Any thoughts ?
Old 10th October 2013, 08:34   #5797
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the latest on Mannuthy- Coimbatore.
Had spoken with mallumowgli yesterday and he said its now motorable.

A frined of mine will be travelling to Coimbatore this weekend from Kochi. This is just the first leg of his looong journey to Delhi.

Initially, I suggested him the Wadakkanchery- Chelakkara- Pazhayannur- Alathur- Kollengode- Pollachi- Coimbatore detour. However, after speaking with mallumowgli, I am in double mind.

The car is Ford Fiesta
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:08   #5798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Whats the latest on Mannuthy- Coimbatore.
Had spoken with mallumowgli yesterday and he said its now motorable.

A frined of mine will be travelling to Coimbatore this weekend from Kochi. This is just the first leg of his looong journey to Delhi.

Initially, I suggested him the Wadakkanchery- Chelakkara- Pazhayannur- Alathur- Kollengode- Pollachi- Coimbatore detour. However, after speaking with mallumowgli, I am in double mind.

The car is Ford Fiesta
My colleague did Cochin ~ Bangalore on his Innova last weekend all through NH 47 between Thrissur and Coimbatore, he meant the stretch is motor-able now and recommended this compared to the detour through small towns for my next trip to native.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:19   #5799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sandsun, I will be staying at Rainbow Holiday Homes @ Kalpetta. Off topic, by any chance do you know if access to kurava island is closed or not?
I am sorry, I don't have any recent concrete information on that, but it was closed around Onam time due to rains. Do get in touch with the Wayanad DTPC office at 04936-202134, 09446072134 or the tourist information center in Kalpetta- 04936-204441.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 10:28   #5800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi Jacs, when did you hear last about the conditions of these routes ? My destination is ettumanoor (from chennai) and i am looking for the best route.

I am kind of trying to avoid the traffic in Pala and was wondering if the route via manarcadu would be any better in that aspect. Also i could see this route http://goo.gl/maps/VmWFn , though not sure about the traffic/road conditions.

Any thoughts ?
If you know Manarcad route, you can take that route. Roads are patched up after monsoons. Few potholes here and there but much drivable now.

Pala - Ponkunnam used to be rubberized tarmac and hence chance of monsoon damage is less. I travelled pre monsoon only.

Heard same update about Erattupetta route but not travelled in recent past.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:49   #5801
BHPian

The Kuttanellor - Chembukav route to avoid Trichur town while connecting to/ from Trichur - Shoranur Hwy to NH47 is now freshly laid and is a breeze. This stretch has been in shambles recently and hence this quick update.
Mnjdnght is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 12:25   #5802
BHPian

I'm planning to drive from Velankanni to Trivandrum. Could someone please udpate me on the best route for this. I prefer good roads and time over scenery and challenge for this drive.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:32   #5803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I'm planning to drive from Velankanni to Trivandrum. Could someone please udpate me on the best route for this. I prefer good roads and time over scenery and challenge for this drive.
East Cost road is short and straight. You can drive via Kanyakumari too with a few additional miles.

Velankanni - Toothukudi - Thirunelveli - Nagarcoil - Trivandrum (~510KMs)

Else

Velankanni - Tanjavur - Madurai - Kovilpatti - Thirunelveli - Nagarcoil - Trivandrum (~550KMs)
Old 11th October 2013, 10:29   #5804
BHPian

Friends,

Planning a Sabarimala trip from Bangalore next weekend.

Intended to take BLR-Dindigul-Thekkady-Vandiperiyar-Erumeli-Pamba
http://goo.gl/maps/RkAcV

Any updates on Thekkady-Pamba stretch?
Last year, around same time, I did this route and the road condition was very good.

Also In Thekkady-Pamba stretch, is there any decent hotel or homestay just to stay for a night?

Last time did night halt at Thekkady (to and fro) but this time would like to stay in a place more closer to Pamba.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:11   #5805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Friends,

Planning a Sabarimala trip from Bangalore next weekend.

Intended to take BLR-Dindigul-Thekkady-Vandiperiyar-Erumeli-Pamba
http://goo.gl/maps/RkAcV

Any updates on Thekkady-Pamba stretch?
Last year, around same time, I did this route and the road condition was very good.

Also In Thekkady-Pamba stretch, is there any decent hotel or homestay just to stay for a night?

Last time did night halt at Thekkady (to and fro) but this time would like to stay in a place more closer to Pamba.
I think the update is almost same as of today till Mundakkayam as per the below thread. Drove very recently till Vandiperiyar too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3233418

Mundakkayam-Erumely- Pamba is to be confirmed.

Hotels? Yes many in Kumily due to tourist attraction. Most of them are resort catagory too. Let me check locally and confirm you what would be a good option. Any budget in mind?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks