Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 15:47   #13516
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Planning to drive down from Bangalore early tomorrow. Have the KL registration, TN ePass and vaccination certificate. Hope there won't be any additional checks and hassles because of Onam.
I'm leaving today as soon as online classes for the day are over. Prefer driving late in the night over dealing with the horrible traffic that I predict tomorrow on Onam eve. :-)

Every time some gang war / drug bust / other stuff happens at Walayar there is a palpable increase in enforcement and corresponding increase in stoppages and travel time. You need to keep that in mind.
Old 20th August 2021, 17:22   #13517

[Hyd-Kochi: advice please!

Has anyone done a Hyderabad-Kochi trip recently? Would like to know how the roads are and what the formalities are at each of the border crossings. Also, some info on best times to start, recommend pitstops along the way, etc., would be greatly appreciated. We are planning a drive with an overnight halt at a relative's place in Bangalore.
Old 21st August 2021, 12:07   #13518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm leaving today as soon as online classes for the day are over.
Didn't notice any video of the new Kuthiran tunnel here. Here's the grab from my dashcam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgrains28 View Post
Has anyone done a Hyderabad-Kochi trip recently? Would like to know how the roads are and what the formalities are at each of the border crossings.
Hyd-Bangalore sector, ask in that group. Bangalore-Kochi, lots of experiences mentioned over the last several pages. Briefly:
  1. Kuthiran is no longer a concern. Coimbatore bypass is a bigger one. Plan accordingly.
  2. TN & KL e-pass and RT-PCR report (not older than 72 hours) needed for all passengers - even fully vaccinated ones. Checks for these at Walayar is a given, and might happen at other district borders within TN and also at other interstate borders.
  3. Restaurants are generally open in TN along the highway. We didn't go inside any, preferring to carry our food or use drive-through facilities where available.
  4. The A2B at Vaiguntam was our bio-break stop. Very clean, well maintained.
  5. Within Kerala it is always mad traffic. The flyover construction at Chalakudy is the next problem.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:50   #13519
BHPian

Anyone took the pollachi route, passed through Meenakshipuram or adjoining roads? Just wanted to know how are the checks in those borders.
Old 21st August 2021, 23:22   #13520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't notice any video of the new Kuthiran tunnel here. Here's the grab from my dashcam.
Thanks for posting. The exit is a bit tricky, with the three lanes merging into two at the (almost blind) turn. Expect some rumble strips or worst case speed breakers to come up here.
Old 21st August 2021, 23:40   #13521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks for posting. The exit is a bit tricky, with the three lanes merging into two at the (almost blind) turn. Expect some rumble strips or worst case speed breakers to come up here.
I suppose it is not currently at its full design width; to the right there is space where the second tunnel's construction is happening (or not happening). The understanding is that it's going to be 3+3 lane all the way between Vadakkanchery-Mannuthi.
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:15   #13522
BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Ernakulam on 08/22, Sunday. Traffic was light except for the Krishnagiri section with slow moving trucks occupying all lanes, the L&T bypass work was on pause probably owing to Sunday, so cruised through that section effortlessly. No checking in Tamil Nadu, but there was unusually a larger presence of Patrol cars throughout Tamil Nadu. At Walayar a quick stop, cops were very courteous - asked for vaccination certificate, since I only had one dose showed them the PCR negative report, quick glance and we were on our way. Kuthiran was slow moving mostly due to a lot of 'tourists' blocking the entrance and exit for the photo op. 5 minutes delay at Chalakudy, could have breezed past that but I missed the service road that takes us straight to the signal. Two stops - bio breaks/take away at Coffe Day after Salem and Palakkad. Bluelink puts the drive time at 7 hours 39 minutes from home at Whitefield to our apartment at Kakkanad.
rahulraag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:53   #13523
Senior - BHPian

I had made a Bangalore to Thrissur trip on 19/08

* We had only first dose of vaccine.
* Took RT-PCR for me and wife.
* No checking at TN entry. Gave lift to a policeman from Hosur to Krishnagiri. He told us that TN authorities are not checking RT-PCR reports neither at Hosur border or Walayar border.
* Kerala police stopped us at Walayar border. He asked for RTPCR report and ePass. We puposefully told that we don't have RTPCR and have only ePass. (Did this to know how far they will go to enforce the RT-PCR rule.) Not even an argument. He just waived us in.

The RTPCR rule is just to discourage people from travel and show that government is in control of situation. They never bother to enforce this on ground since there is clear central government directive against blocking movement of people.

This experience is limited to the travel on the above mentioned date during Onam eve. Not sure whether the rules are different on different dates and different check points
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:14   #13524
BHPian

I am planning to travel back to Bangalore on Sunday, looks like Kerala has re-imposed the Sunday Lock down. Is it ok to travel on Sunday? would they allow inter state travel on Sundays?
Old 24th August 2021, 22:39   #13525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
I am planning to travel back to Bangalore on Sunday, looks like Kerala has re-imposed the Sunday Lock down. Is it ok to travel on Sunday? would they allow inter state travel on Sundays?
To answer your query, I had traveled to Bangalore from Kochi on a Saturday three weeks back when weekend lockdown was in place. I got stopped right outside my home by cops who had set up a barricade and were stopping motorists. They quizzed me about the travel, and when I explained that I was headed to Bangalore they wanted to see the self-affidavit. I had made the mistake of going by the information on Jagratha portal that you don't need travel papers to exit the state. I tired to reason but they countered that from here till Walayar wouldn't you still be driving through the state. They wanted me to park the car and write an affidavit. But one peek inside the car and looking at my daughter who was sleeping at the back, they let me pass through. Once I hit the highway there was absolutely no checking. Based on this experience I would say as long as you carry a self affidavit, it should be okay. They may ask about purpose of the visit, if you have any documents supporting that would come handy.
rahulraag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 23:16   #13526
Senior - BHPian

Drove Palakkad - Bangalore on Monday early morning. It was raining when we left home at 00:15, and it continued to drizzle until Madukkarai. The TN cops had put up a tent right after the Walayar border, but could be because of the rain, chose to stay put rather than check for the E-Pass. It was smooth cruising until Attibele. Again, there was a well-lit tent, but absolutely no sign of any checking. Reached our place by 05:15 without any breaks. Used cruise control to the maximum extent.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 09:09   #13527
BHPian

There is not so good news coming from KA on travel back, not sure how serious they are about mandatory 7 days institutional quarantine (even with RTPCR negative). Anyone has any clarity?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85610347.cms
sknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 09:51   #13528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is not so good news coming from KA on travel back, not sure how serious they are about mandatory 7 days institutional quarantine (even with RTPCR negative). Anyone has any clarity?
It is just a new announcement and we have to wait and see on how strict it is going to be.

With no signs of improvement of the situation in KL and with massive improvement of the situation in KA on covid cases, there is no wonder KA is imposing such rules and I believe it makes sense.
Old 25th August 2021, 11:07   #13529
BHPian

Quote:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85610347.cms
This looks like a proposal, and not sure if they are really going to implement this. Considering the numbers, do they have the facility for implement institutional quarantine for all?

So far, what I heard is that, at Attibelle, they are only stopping KL/TN vehicles. Has anyone traveled from KL to KA recently, in a KA vehicle?
Old 25th August 2021, 14:49   #13530
BHPian

Quote:
There is not so good news coming from KA on travel back, not sure how serious they are about mandatory 7 days institutional quarantine (even with RTPCR negative).
Not sure how well can this be implemented. This would work only if both TN & KA have this rule in place. Most of the travellers from South Kerala, if not all, pass through TN to enter KA. One could always say he/she is coming from TN and not KL.

I agree situation in Kerala is getting worse and hence the mulls but KA needs to come up with something better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks