Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 10:33   #6241
BHPian
 
nijelj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore-Ktym
Posts: 382
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

We are planning to do a Bangalore - Irinjalakuda tomorrow.

So which route is the best? Preference would be good roads with options for lunch

?
My dad had started from kottayam on his innova yesterday around 8pm.Route was ktym-muvattupuzha-angamali-thrissur byepass-kuthiran-walayar-cbe-salem-bangalore.He reached after numerous stops for dinner and tea today morning at 0730.He said that the roads were ok throughout.
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 10:42   #6242
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 937 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Update on CBE-Palakkad stretch : There was an accident at KG Chavadi (on the narrow stretch just after Chavadi Check post - lorry rammed into a Maxx) today morning. But this should get cleared in another 2 hours time

Walayar is clear.
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 11:02   #6243
Senior - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,468
Thanked: 4,091 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

We are planning to do a Bangalore - Irinjalakuda tomorrow.

So which route is the best? Preference would be good roads with options for lunch

@IronH4WK: Apart from the route query, was wondering how you took the pics. Go Pro or something similar?
We left Bangalore by 6am; got late because I was tired from the previous day's outing. Still, we reached Thrissur by 4pm with two meal stops and bad roads.

Like I said, you would be better of taking the Perundurai route. However, if you're planning for lunch on that route I think you might not have much of a choice (folks who have traveled this route please share your experience). If you're leaving early, you might make it to Vadakkencheri by lunch time and there is a hotel right on the highway (them Volvo buses stop there for dinner usually).

As for the pictures, I've a dashcam in my car.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 13:22   #6244
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 521
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
We left Bangalore by 6am; got late because I was tired from the previous day's outing. Still, we reached Thrissur by 4pm with two meal stops and bad roads.

Like I said, you would be better of taking the Perundurai route. However, if you're planning for lunch on that route I think you might not have much of a choice (folks who have traveled this route please share your experience). If you're leaving early, you might make it to Vadakkencheri by lunch time and there is a hotel right on the highway (them Volvo buses stop there for dinner usually).

As for the pictures, I've a dashcam in my car.
Thank you.

So the route is Bangalore-Kirshangiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery, am I right?

Also any good restaurants around Vadakkencherry on the above mentioned route?

P.S.: Some insights on the dashcam model along with the cost would be helpful

Last edited by vinjosep : 24th December 2013 at 13:36.
vinjosep is offline  
Old 24th December 2013, 23:15   #6245
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Electri-City
Posts: 2,251
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
So the route is Bangalore-Kirshangiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery, am I right?
Spot on
Quote:
Also any good restaurants around Vadakkencherry on the above mentioned route?
There's Hotel Diana and an Aaryas at Vadakkenchery, right on the NH47 itself.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 07:54   #6246
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,064
Thanked: 1,656 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thank you.

So the route is Bangalore-Kirshangiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery, am I right?

Also any good restaurants around Vadakkencherry on the above mentioned route?

P.S.: Some insights on the dashcam model along with the cost would be helpful
I need to go to Trichur tomorrow and will be starting from Coimbatore in the morning at 5 AM. Is it better to take the Cbe-Pollachi-Nemmara-Vadakkenchery-Trichur route ? Are the roads good ? I still cant forget the 3 hours i was stuck at Walayar last year and would love to avoid going through that Walayar route again. Any inputs/directions will be really helpful.
jkrishnakj is offline  
Old 25th December 2013, 08:01   #6247
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 3,052
Thanked: 2,068 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Guys - am at Vechur now and planning to leave for Trivandrum by 9. Pls advice whether I should go up to Cherthala and take the NH47 or go to Kottayam and take MC road ? If all factors are same i would prefer NH because there aren't many twisties. Pls help. Thanks !
narayan is offline  
Old 25th December 2013, 08:03   #6248
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,793
Thanked: 515 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj

I need to go to Trichur tomorrow and will be starting from Coimbatore in the morning at 5 AM. Is it better to take the Cbe-Pollachi-Nemmara-Vadakkenchery-Trichur route ? Are the roads good ? I still cant forget the 3 hours i was stuck at Walayar last year and would love to avoid going through that Walayar route again. Any inputs/directions will be really helpful.
I just travelled on NH47. I don't think you need to take Pollachi route as NH47 is fairly decent though traffic is high.

Did Bangalore - Kochi via NH7 -NH47. Traffic was high especially with Sabarimala vehicles but Walayar was free. Edges are dangerously high on Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy road, be careful.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 08:09   #6249
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

hows the road condition to Munnar from Kochi? Especially after adimali
Soccerfan is offline  
Old 25th December 2013, 09:06   #6250
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,793
Thanked: 515 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan
hows the road condition to Munnar from Kochi? Especially after adimali
Adimali - Kochi is good. Road till Pallivasal is rough and patchy.
coolclouds is offline  
Old 25th December 2013, 13:52   #6251
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

Reached Thrissur through regular route, salem , cbe bye pass, kuthiran. Roads are good in most places except for some rough patches near kg chavadi. Took 7:30 hrs including a few stops for breakfast and fuel.

Planning to drive to Kottayam today. How is the Muvattupuzha section of MC road? Or is it better to stick with Ekm, T'parambu route?
vasoo is offline  
Old 26th December 2013, 14:09   #6252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

We need to drive from Kochi to Kannur on 29th December. Need suggestions on the best possible route as well as current road condition from frequent travellers in the area.

Thanks in advance.
gopaneel is offline  
Old 26th December 2013, 15:15   #6253
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,676
Thanked: 1,840 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
We need to drive from Kochi to Kannur on 29th December. Need suggestions on the best possible route as well as current road condition from frequent travellers in the area.

Thanks in advance.
Start as early as possible else daytime traffic is a killer
Between kozhikode and kannur.NH17 all the way from edappally till Kannur.Roads are ok.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:28   #6254
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,749
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
We need to drive from Kochi to Kannur on 29th December. Need suggestions on the best possible route as well as current road condition from frequent travellers in the area.
The best option is perhaps Ernakulam-Thrissur-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Calicut-Kannur. About 300 km and could take more than 8 hours, given Kerala roads and traffic. You sure you don't want to consider a train (the Jan Shatabdi covers this distance in 5.5 hours)?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:46   #6255
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 937 Times
Default Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The best option is perhaps Ernakulam-Thrissur-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Calicut-Kannur. About 300 km and could take more than 8 hours, given Kerala roads and traffic. You sure you don't want to consider a train (the Jan Shatabdi covers this distance in 5.5 hours)?
I would second the train option.

Regarding the road option - would just like to add the following details

Ernakulam-Thrissur-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Calicut bypass (Ramanattukara-Atholi-Thiruvengoor-Koyilandy)-Kannur
mallumowgli is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks