Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 16:40   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Drove from Palakkad to Bangalore yesterday. Saw some of the worst jams on the highway.

First one, near Avinashi. There was some political party's (KMDK?) function, and the under-construction 4-laned highway stretch was choked with people and cars. A few kms ahead, I saw the morons of the worst kind - a Tata Ace on the fast lane, facing the wrong direction and no lights at all, while it was already dark (6:30-ish), plucking up the myriad flag masts installed on the divider.

The next one was in Dharmapuri toll booth. For some reason, there was a very long queue of vehicles headed towards Bangalore. It was so bad that two additional lanes (which were meant for vehicles proceeding to Salem were blocked, and) opened towards Bangalore. Of course there were many smartalecs that tried to squeeze in, causing more delays.

The last major hold-up was in Thoppur ghat section, thanks to two truck breakdowns. Most of the loaded trucks were on the middle and fast lane, blocking the other vehicles.

Road condition was average to bad between Walayar and Madukkarai, the L&T bypass till Neelambur was decent but uneven, and then Avinashi mess began. Road surface was good.

Took me 8 hours this time, with two food breaks - one at Saravana Bhavan Classic before Vaikundom and the other one at CCD Shoolagiri (surprisingly, their EDC machine was working and accepted cards this time - it wasn't the case for the last 6 months), and a couple of short tea breaks.
I did the same stretch on the same day, but was lucky to have an early start of 3.50 AM from Vytilla. We noticed the massive political rally preparations and thanked our luck for the decision to start very early. Smooth sailing on all toll booths except for 15 mts wait at Krishnagiri (which I assume is due to Chennai Bangalore vehicles). I could reach my home in JP Nagar at 12 noon, deducting 40 mts break at Vaikundom Saravanabhavan, it was 7 Hrs 30 Mts on the road door to door for 525 Kms(one of the best timing I have ever got)

BTW my onward trip was to Munnar, this was done 8 Hrs with a start at 4 am through Perundurai, Dharapuram, Udumel, Marayoor, Munnar.

Takeaway: Early starts really helps, my previous trip couple of months back through Satyamangalam, Pollachi took close to 11 Hrs.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:35   #6287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Takeaway: Early starts really helps, my previous trip couple of months back through Satyamangalam, Pollachi took close to 11 Hrs.
I was thinking Pollachi/Palladam/Avinashi might have helped. But looks like the old time and tested Palladam/Kangeyam/Perundurai is still a good option for such problems. But why a rally at Avinashi? Any thing of importance?
Old 30th December 2013, 17:48   #6288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was thinking Pollachi/Palladam/Avinashi might have helped. But looks like the old time and tested Palladam/Kangeyam/Perundurai is still a good option for such problems. But why a rally at Avinashi? Any thing of importance?
Not a clue about what the rally was all about ampere, but I felt the scale was large from the preparations going on. Tried and tested NH47 is the best option I thought, provided you have a decent surface to drive on.

: I triggered the speed cameras few times on Kerala NH 47 while returning during the wee hours, are they equipped to track a Bangalore vehicle and send a Chelan
Old 30th December 2013, 18:10   #6289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...it was 7 Hrs 30 Mts on the road door to door for 525 Kms(one of the best timing I have ever got)
It indeed is, sire! :-)

Quote:
Early starts really helps, my previous trip couple of months back through Satyamangalam, Pollachi took close to 11 Hrs.
It does. If I leave at 3:30am from Bangalore, I can be at home in Palakkad by 10am, with breaks. A distance of 420km door to door

Quote:
I triggered the speed cameras few times on Kerala NH 47 while returning during the wee hours, are they equipped to track a Bangalore vehicle and send a Chelan
I've heard from a few that they track vehicles from other states, but others have claimed that they cannot. If you don't get anything in your post for a few weeks, then consider yourself lucky. I know for sure that they send a challan to the registered owner's address if it's a KL registered vehicle.

Quote:
...But why a rally at Avinashi? Any thing of importance?
I saw many posters that read E.R.Easwaran (no clue who that is) uyire, E R Easwaran muthe, etc etc in Tamil. And also KMDK flags. The rally/congregation was really huge and they had fixed tubelights and flags for over 3-4 kilometres along the highway

EDIT:
This piece of news explains it:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5512988.ece

Last edited by silversteed : 30th December 2013 at 18:17.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 18:18   #6290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I triggered the speed cameras few times on Kerala NH 47 while returning during the wee hours, are they equipped to track a Bangalore vehicle and send a Chelan
I know of someone who got drives a TN (Madurai) registered car which was booked for over-speeding at Cochin. As per him traffic police got his address from Madurai RTO and send him a notice.
Though I am not sure if this is a regular practice.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 18:39   #6291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It indeed is, sire! :-)

I've heard from a few that they track vehicles from other states, but others have claimed that they cannot. If you don't get anything in your post for a few weeks, then consider yourself lucky. I know for sure that they send a challan to the registered owner's address if it's a KL registered vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I know of someone who got drives a TN (Madurai) registered car which was booked for over-speeding at Cochin. As per him traffic police got his address from Madurai RTO and send him a notice.
Fingers crossed for next few weeks, will provide an update if I get the notice, consider I got lucky if there is no update on the thread
Old 30th December 2013, 19:07   #6292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I think they will make you pay up the next time they see your vehicle anywhere in Kerala. This much is implemented in Bangalore as well.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 19:48   #6293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fingers crossed for next few weeks
Not sure, but as from what I recollect from discussion with my friend they send court notice I guess. If that is the case I guess it will be better to check online in Kerala police website (if there is an option) if your number is listed.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 10:10   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

: I triggered the speed cameras few times on Kerala NH 47 while returning during the wee hours, are they equipped to track a Bangalore vehicle and send a Chelan
Pray to god you don't get any challan - Repeat offence the fine keeps on increasing. A Volvo bus got a challan for more than a lakh if I remember correctly
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 13:51   #6295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:
Fingers crossed for next few weeks, will provide an update if I get the notice, consider I got lucky if there is no update on the thread
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, I think they will make you pay up the next time they see your vehicle anywhere in Kerala. This much is implemented in Bangalore as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Pray to god you don't get any challan - Repeat offence the fine keeps on increasing. A Volvo bus got a challan for more than a lakh if I remember correctly
Here's a website to check the pending payments for any violations. Not sure if they update the database. Pretty useful if they do.
http://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 15:20   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Please don't scare me with that! My relative got a higher fine when he was caught for over speeding 2nd time in a day, but it was around Rs 1000 (he voluntarily declared that he was caught for same offence in the morning thinking he will get an exception)
And will it be treated as repeat offence since I have still not a got a ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Here's a website to check the pending payments for any violations. Not sure if they update the database. Pretty useful if they do.
http://www.payment.keralapolice.gov.in
Thanks Naveen, It says "No pending chargememo for corresponding vehicle No.", wish it stays the same..
Old 31st December 2013, 16:57   #6297
BHPian

Quote:

Its a four lane. I think only a small section around Salem is on the verge of completion. (Others can confirm. Thats what I am aware). I would always prefer this to Krishnagiri.
Entire stretch is complete now. Only between entry and exit points of certain small towns and villages like kallakurichi, etc, the road is two laned. Otherwise the stretch offers a breezy drive.
Old 31st December 2013, 17:49   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish
Entire stretch is complete now. Only between entry and exit points of certain small towns and villages like kallakurichi, etc, the road is two laned. Otherwise the stretch offers a breezy drive.
Reached Chennai an hour back via NH47 - Attur - Ulundurpet route. Road surface is excellent and is two lane at some places till Ulundurpet. Will post details soon.
Old 31st December 2013, 20:53   #6299
BHPian

Did Thrissur Bangalore yesterday, traffic between Alathur and Avinashi on NH 47 was at peak took more than two hours, was at Alathur by 14:45 and crossed Avinashi at 17:00, then after the drive was smooth with thin traffic and reached Madiwala at 22:00 with 30 mins break at Hotel Saravana Bhavan before Salem.
Any one travelling between Avinashi and Thrissur is recommended to choose Pollachi route rather than Palakkad. There were places between Chandranagar and Madukarai with traffic moving at 20 kmph.
Old 1st January 2014, 20:38   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Any one travelling between Avinashi and Thrissur is recommended to choose Pollachi route rather than Palakkad. There were places between Chandranagar and Madukarai with traffic moving at 20 kmph.
Spot on!

Drove from Kochi-Coimbatore on 29-Dec, and Coimbatore-Bangalore on 30-Dec.

This time I definitely wanted to skip Palakkad-Walayar-Madukkarai stretch, and had plans to do Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Palladam if I go straight to Bangalore. But since I was breaking the journey in Coimbatore I was not sure if I need to skip Palakkad-Walayar and take Pollachi to reach Coimbatore. While reaching Vadakkenchery, instantly decided to take the Pollachi route.

Kochi-Vadakkenchery: Good roads, lots of traffic.
Vadakkenchery-Pollachi: Very good roads, moderate traffic.
Pollachi-Coimbatore: Good roads NH 209, moderate to heavy traffic.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the excellent road surface from Vadakkenchery till Pollachi and until Coimbatore though there are lot of updates on the road surface being good - mainly Ampere vouching for it During early hours I am sure this stretch would be a breeze.

I really don't think one needs to go via. Palakkad-Walayar-Madukkarai if one need to travel between Vadakkenchery-Avinashi/Palladam. You can skip the maddening traffic and bad road surface between Vadakkenchery-Palakkad-Walayar-Madukkarai if you take Pollachi route. Will surely take this route henceorth. Personally, I don't mind driving an 8-10% extra to avoid bad roads and traffic if the alternative road has good surface and even with same traffic.

Coimbatore-Bangalore was through Chamrajanagar, by taking NH 209. Very less traffic until Kanakpura.

I have a query here - after the Dhimbam ghats I saw a diversion to Kollegal which does not require us to go through Chamrajanagar. Has anyone taken this. I can see this route in Google Maps as well. How good/bad is this route? Is it shorter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks