Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 09:54   #5536
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

For anyone planning to take the MC road, please be aware about the very slow moving traffic at Kalady bridge across Periyar during the peak hours, crossing 5 km stretch here can easily cost more than 1 hour.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:17   #5537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
@ranjithp1, if Munnar was not a good option, what about the route via Valparai for return? This will give an opportunity to see the water falls, forest and tea estates..!! Any latest update on the Vazhachal - Malakkappara stretch..?

Thanks
Rajesh
The last I heard was (end July) that the roads are closed due to the heavy rains which lashed Kerala. I saw a snap on facebook of the route from Athirappally to Sholayar and that showed fresh and beautifully laid roads. I am though not sure of the whole stretch.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:44   #5538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I need to consider Walayar - Kuthiran - Mannuthi..?
Even with a UV, you need a lot of patience and 1st<->2nd gear changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you want a broken xylo take the kuthiran route.
LOL. The road is in such a condition that people are busy with the steering wheel so no recent snaps are available.

Last edited by ramzsys : 19th August 2013 at 11:45.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:00   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Even with a UV, you need a lot of patience and 1st<->2nd gear changes.
I was in the impression that authority has done some thing to this stretch after the recent Bus strike and repeated instructions from Dist Collector. Anyway, As adviced by many fellow BHPians, I am not trying Kuthiran at all..!!!!
Old 19th August 2013, 15:08   #5540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in the impression that authority has done some thing to this stretch after the recent Bus strike and repeated instructions from Dist Collector. Anyway, As adviced by many fellow BHPians, I am not trying Kuthiran at all..!!!!
Read in Manorama that Rs 14 crore has been allocated for the repair of this stretch and work will be finished in 3 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed.

Here is the link.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...RIAL&BV_ID=@@@
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 17:22   #5541
BHPian

High Court rulings on freezing funds, articles in newspapers,reports from users,ultimatum from transport operators! Is it just being thick skinned or is there more to the roads in Kerala crumbling during the monsoon. It is after all the most literate state in our country, is it not?
Old 19th August 2013, 21:48   #5542
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimal View Post
Should I book an hotel, near to the temple, or is it good to stay little away from the temple ? I have been to Madurai several years ago, and that time the roads around the temple was very small, and it was really hard to drive.
Finding parking may be a problem near the temple since most of the streets are narrow. For a stress free visit you may want to leave your car at the hotel and take an auto/taxi.
We stayed at Hotel Metropole near Raja Muthaiah Manram/District Court and it was convenient since the hotel is away from the main crowded business areas of the city and closer to the Airport Ring Road and NH49 at the same time not too far from the temple as well. Parking was available in the basement of the building so the car was safe too.
Please check temple timings before visiting, I think it's closed between 12/1 pm and 4.30 pm.

Last edited by NPV : 19th August 2013 at 21:49.
Old 19th August 2013, 22:14   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

The last I heard was (end July) that the roads are closed due to the heavy rains which lashed Kerala. I saw a snap on facebook of the route from Athirappally to Sholayar and that showed fresh and beautifully laid roads. I am though not sure of the whole stretch.
Please refer travelogue by cedia2013. He has done this route during last week of July just before this road was closed for traffic due to monsoon. Road condition seemed to be perfect for a good drive.
Old 19th August 2013, 22:36   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimal View Post
Hi,
Should I book an hotel, near to the temple, or is it good to stay little away from the temple ? I will be reaching Madurai on a Saturday afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a stress free visit you may want to leave your car at the hotel and take an auto/taxi. We stayed at Hotel Metropole near Raja Muthaiah Manram/District Court
Girish,

As NPV says, take a stress-free visit to the temple by hiring an auto, or even take a cool walk, i would suggest

As you are planning to reach Madurai by 2pm, you can get some hotel even inside Madurai. There are many convenient hotels opp to Madurai Railway junction. Travellers Bunglow is there behind the Rly junction but i am not sure of the standards. There is one 3 star hotel called Germanus on the by pass road which again is en-route Bangalore. All these hotels do have ample parking spaces ofcourse.

Metropole is good but it is entirely on the other side of Madurai and it doesn't fall on the TVM-MDU-Blore route. It is almost on NH45, and it is best suited only for those heading towards Trichy or Chennai the next morning. IMHO.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ddrive : 19th August 2013 at 22:41. Reason: Corrections
Old 19th August 2013, 23:25   #5545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ernakulam to Alleppey is nothing great to write home about. Moreover, you will find heavy traffic after Angamaly towards Ernakulam and the traffic will slow you down all the way till you cross the kundannoor junction.

Therefore, I would suggest that you take MC road from Angamaly to perumbavur- muvattupuzha- ettumanur- Kottayam- Changanassery- Alleppey.

Definitely longer. But better roads and minimal traffic.
Considering the traffic snarl you will expect on the time you will hit Angamaly (around evening time), the traffic will only worsen with bad roads as you move towards the city of Kochi.

MC road, though longer, would take the same time or may be lesser.

The roads are a bit curvy. So don't expect continuous high speeds like in the four lane highways.
taking MC road to reach Alappuzha via Changanassery is a lot of distance! include Kottayam,Changnassery,Ettumanur,Perumbavur,Muvattu puzha traffic.

even if some one uses MC road to reach Alappuzha, they may turn right from Muvattupuzha to take Kundannoor(36kms) bypass to join NH47 again towards Cherthala. there are other options like using Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Peruva-Cherthala but roads are narrow and may not be in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
For anyone planning to take the MC road, please be aware about the very slow moving traffic at Kalady bridge across Periyar during the peak hours, crossing 5 km stretch here can easily cost more than 1 hour.
yes traffic at Kaladi can get standstill in the evenings and even in noon time.

My suggestion to people using Nedumbassery Airport at peak hours better use Perumbavur-Marampally-(SriSankara bridge)-Kanjoor to reach Airport. distance is 8 kms more. but will save the hassles. alternately, can use Muvattupuzha-Mannoor(straight highway)-Vengola-Ponjassery-Vazhakulam-Marampally-S.Sankara bridge-CIAL (some broken regions needs expertise avoiding bad patches).
I am sure there is a route to reach Angamali without touching Kaladi from Kanjoor somewhere joining after Mattoor.

Last edited by deepclutch : 19th August 2013 at 23:43.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 00:12   #5546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
taking MC road to reach Alappuzha via Changanassery is a lot of distance! include Kottayam,Changnassery,Ettumanur,Perumbavur,Muvattu puzha traffic.

even if some one uses MC road to reach Alappuzha, they may turn right from Muvattupuzha to take Kundannoor(36kms) bypass to join NH47 again towards Cherthala. there are other options like using Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Peruva-Cherthala but roads are narrow and may not be in good condition.
Traffic at kottayam Changanassery and muvattupuzha etc wouldn't be greater than the traffic clogs at the notorious quadra junctions of Ernakulam--> Edappally, Palarivattom, Vyttila and kundannoor.

Turning towards kundannoor from Muvattupuzha will be a bigger mistake as you will have to negotiate the traffic at Thrippunithura and then face the bad roads from kundannoor till Alleppey.

It wouldn't solve any purpose except for extending the length of the drive.
Old 20th August 2013, 00:51   #5547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic at kottayam Changanassery and muvattupuzha etc wouldn't be greater than the traffic clogs at the notorious quadra junctions of Ernakulam--> Edappally, Palarivattom, Vyttila and kundannoor.
I think, in the evenings especially it is too much traffic in Angamaly-Muvattupuzha sector. also don't undermine the traffic at Ettumanur-Kottayam sector as well as other towns. after these ordeals and an extra distance of 50-60kms, is it worth?
Quote:

Turning towards kundannoor from Muvattupuzha will be a bigger mistake as you will have to negotiate the traffic at Thrippunithura and then face the bad roads from kundannoor till Alleppey.

It wouldn't solve any purpose except for extending the length of the drive.
yes. I was not aware of the conditions after Kundannoor.

but there are shorter routes from Muvattupuzha to Allappuzha through Thanneermukkam Bund road.
best option is, after reaching Thiruvankulam you can take left turn going through Kureekkad joining Kottayam route via Vaikom, then taking Thanneermukkom Bund to reach Alappuzha.
http://goo.gl/maps/lGpVb

one route is through Piravom-Vaikom-Bund-Alappuzha( http://goo.gl/maps/iwatA ) and another one touches Peruva-Kaduthuruthi( http://goo.gl/maps/TyGdC ) to reach bund road. the first route is comparatively wider.
I am not sure about the road conditions in these routes. last I travelled to Vaikom, some stretches at Peruva was bad.

sure, these routes would have developed which may help connectivity towards tourist circuit of Alappuzha-Kumarakom-Munnar.

regards,

Last edited by deepclutch : 20th August 2013 at 01:01.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 08:20   #5548
BHPian

Quote:

Traffic at kottayam Changanassery and muvattupuzha etc wouldn't be greater than the traffic clogs at the notorious quadra junctions of Ernakulam--> Edappally, Palarivattom, Vyttila
Kottayam roads are now hell, due to the immense traffic and the very bad road.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 08:23   #5549
Senior - BHPian

What is the condition of the wrecked bridge after aroor toll gate, does the authorities re opened it for commuting after patching ?
Old 20th August 2013, 08:35   #5550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
What is the condition of the wrecked bridge after aroor toll gate, does the authorities re opened it for commuting after patching ?
Not yet.
The bridge is still closed for traffic. Vehicles take a diversion onto the parallel bridge and rejoin after the bridge
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks