Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 12:53   #5521
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Widening the Mysore-Kollegal stretch might actually help to reduce a bit of Mysore-Bangalore highway as well - people might prefer avoiding Mysore directly.

I understand your logic, but I think the government has a different one.
If the idea is to provide an NH-alternative to SH17 from Bangalore to Mysore, I think it would be more useful to simply convert the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore stretch to an NH. My guess is that this would work out to be the same distance as the current road. Mysore-Kollegal-Bangalore is circuitous.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:20   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Its the SC order that all National Highways have to be minimum 4 lanes(2 lanes one direction).And as per that all the NHs are being upgraded.State Highways have to be a minimum 1.5 laned one direction afaik as per the ruling.
Can't see anything about this - my Googling skills are off today. Do you have any additional details about this ruling? I must say I have never heard about it.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:36   #5523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
or four-lane NH 209 from Bangalore to Chamarajanagar instead?
4 laning NH 209 is already in the news. So it is logical that Central Government is using that to connect it to Kerala via NH212.
Old 16th August 2013, 23:13   #5524
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, calling NH212 from Kollegal to Gundlupet as the link between Kollegal and Kerala is a big joke. I can't imagine anyone travelling to Kerala and has at least some common sense taking that NH via T.Narsipur-Mysore-Nanjangud (about 120 kms from Kollegal to Gundlupet) instead of NH209 / SH81 combo which is only 71 kms - Even if they make it completely 4 lane.

Yes it will help short-distance passengers going from Kollegal to T.Narsipur or Kollegal-Mysore or Mysore-Gundlupet, but can't foresee anyone travelling from Kollegal to Gundlupet that way.
Old 17th August 2013, 10:18   #5525
Senior - BHPian

The objective of providing 4-laned roads for travelers from Bangalore till Kerala border would still be met with, because as far as I know, most of the general public travelling to kozhikode/Wayanad from Bangalore use Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-S.Bathery route. Very few people even know that there is an alternate road via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet which is in equally good condition.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:09   #5526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Frankly, calling NH212 from Kollegal to Gundlupet as the link between Kollegal and Kerala is a big joke.
I did some reading up on Wikipedia. Kollegal's economy is dominated by silk weaving. I imagine the city with which Kollegal needs best connectivity is Mysore, given that it is the nearest silk trading post. But does the size of this "silk route" trade warrant a four-lane, divided carriageway highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Very few people even know that there is an alternate road via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet which is in equally good condition.
I recommend this route to everyone who asks me. But each person has his or her own driving risk appetite. Some people don't like the idea of driving through largely empty countryside with not many restaurants, stores etc. on the way.

It is the same case with the Old Madras Road route to Chennai vs the Hosur Road route.
Old 18th August 2013, 11:14   #5527

Hi,
On our way back from trivandrum, plan to take the TVM - Madurai - Bangalore route. Plan is to start from TVM at around 9.00AM, visit the Meenakshi temple that evening and stay in Madurai for the night. Start from Madurai, early morning next day.Please let me know if anybody has visit the city recently. Should I book an hotel, near to the temple, or is it good to stay little away from the temple ? I have been to Madurai several years ago, and that time the roads around the temple was very small, and it was really hard to drive.
I will be reaching Madurai on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks
Regards
Girish
Old 18th August 2013, 11:24   #5528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimal View Post
Hi,
On our way back from trivandrum, plan to take the TVM - Madurai - Bangalore route. Plan is to start from TVM at around 9.00AM, visit the Meenakshi temple that evening and stay in Madurai for the night. Start from Madurai, early morning next day.Please let me know if anybody has visit the city recently. Should I book an hotel, near to the temple, or is it good to stay little away from the temple ? I have been to Madurai several years ago, and that time the roads around the temple was very small, and it was really hard to drive.
I will be reaching Madurai on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks
Regards
Girish
Better to stay away from the temple.also when you book ensure the hotel has its own parking space as most of them dont offer parking space.
Old 18th August 2013, 19:48   #5529
BHPian

I have to drive from Kochi to Madurai during the last week of August. Can someone let me know the best route? Initially, thought of a stopover at Munnar but with the recent rains, considering the longer route through Kumily.

Please suggest the best option.
Old 18th August 2013, 20:09   #5530
BHPian

Need to drive down to Alleppey (Pagoda resort) from Bangalore on 21st Aug'13 for attending a family function. Reviewed couple of previous pages and almost finalized the routes as Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Pazhayannur - Thrissur - Ernakulam (will take a halt there) - Alleppey. Need some advices on,

Is this the best route with the current conditions..? Do I need to consider Walayar - Kuthiran - Mannuthi..?

Hows the road condition from Ernakulam to Alleppey and how much time it will take ..?

Planning to start around 5am from Bangalore, which will be the ideal stop for breakfast..? (Saravana Bhavan after Salem..?)

While coming back if I wanted to see Munnar (specially "Neelakkurunji") which should be the best route ? I am not planning for any overnight stay, just driving through.

Thanks
Rajesh

: I will be driving in my Xylo
Old 18th August 2013, 20:35   #5531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
I have to drive from Kochi to Madurai during the last week of August. Can someone let me know the best route? Initially, thought of a stopover at Munnar but with the recent rains, considering the longer route through Kumily.

Please suggest the best option.
I think kumily is the only option as there is an update on the munnar thread that chinnakanal theni route is closed from 8am to 4pm for the next couple of months for road works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Need to drive down to Alleppey (Pagoda resort) from Bangalore on 21st Aug'13 for attending a family function. Reviewed couple of previous pages and almost finalized the routes as Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Pazhayannur - Thrissur - Ernakulam (will take a halt there) - Alleppey. Need some advices on,

Is this the best route with the current conditions..? Do I need to consider Walayar - Kuthiran - Mannuthi..?

Hows the road condition from Ernakulam to Alleppey and how much time it will take ..?

Planning to start around 5am from Bangalore, which will be the ideal stop for breakfast..? (Saravana Bhavan after Salem..?)

While coming back if I wanted to see Munnar (specially "Neelakkurunji") which should be the best route ? I am not planning for any overnight stay, just driving through.

Thanks
Rajesh

Perundurai pollachi kollengode alathur wadakancheri thrissur route is the best to ekm.

Ekm alleppey roads are bad to average.budget for 2hrs

If you want a broken xylo take the kuthiran route.

The neelakurunji last bloomed in 2006 and has again bloomed in some parts of munnar this year (an aberration)on the munnar theni road but that road is closed from 8am to 4pm as per an update on anothr munnar thread.

Saravana bhavan would be 3-3.5hrs from
Bangalore so around 8-830am
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 01:02   #5532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need to drive down to Alleppey (Pagoda resort) from Bangalore on 21st Aug'13 for attending a family function. Reviewed couple of previous pages and almost finalized the routes as Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Pazhayannur - Thrissur - Ernakulam (will take a halt there) - Alleppey.

Ernakulam to Alleppey is nothing great to write home about. Moreover, you will find heavy traffic after Angamaly towards Ernakulam and the traffic will slow you down all the way till you cross the kundannoor junction.

Therefore, I would suggest that you take MC road from Angamaly to perumbavur- muvattupuzha- ettumanur- Kottayam- Changanassery- Alleppey.

Definitely longer. But better roads and minimal traffic.
Considering the traffic snarl you will expect on the time you will hit Angamaly (around evening time), the traffic will only worsen with bad roads as you move towards the city of Kochi.

MC road, though longer, would take the same time or may be lesser.

The roads are a bit curvy. So don't expect continuous high speeds like in the four lane highways.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 01:26   #5533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Rajesh

if halt at ernakulam is mandatory use NH like mentioned by ranjithp1. if not use, MC from angamaly till changanasserry and then turn into alleppey.

PS: do not go through kuthiran.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:05   #5534
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Kochi (Kalady) and back during Aug 15th extended weekend

Going was through Kanakpura - Sathyamanagalam - Annur - Pollachi - Kollangode - Alathur - Challakara - Chembukavu - Kuttanallore - NH 47 Thrissur Bye-pass and Angamaly - Kalady. Started 4 am from Bangalore, took 11 hrs of driving (used to cover the same through Hosur - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trissur in less than 8.30 hrs!) . Word of caution is to keep away from Chembukavu - Kuttanallore road which is in a horrible state (repair work was in progress in some areas) , I suggest using Trissur - Palakkad road and join Mannuthy. Kanakpura road is in excellent shape and is a good option if you are looking for a sedate relaxed drive. Nijaguna Residency in Chamrajnagar is a good option for a break with clean washrooms

Decided to give a skip to Kanakpura road on the way back since I started only at 10 am and did not want to be driving on the single lane roads during night against the glaring headlights. Route was Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi (missed Kangeyam - Perundurai due to a confusion while setting the GPS, assume this was not very costly) and then through the normal route. Driving time was less than 10 hrs, reducing the time lost at toll plazas, it should be around 9.15 hrs (worst culprit being the Toll booth at Karnataka border, more than 30 mts lost there alone)..

Last edited by gadadhar : 19th August 2013 at 09:07.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:31   #5535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Therefore, I would suggest that you take MC road from Angamaly to perumbavur- muvattupuzha- ettumanur- Kottayam- Changanassery- Alleppey.

MC road, though longer, would take the same time or may be lesser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
if halt at ernakulam is mandatory use NH like mentioned by ranjithp1. if not use, MC from angamaly till changanasserry and then turn into alleppey.

PS: do not go through kuthiran.
Thanks dear, but I have to halt at Ernakulam (Palarivattom) and pick few of my relatives to Alleppey on the next day for the function.

@ranjithp1, if Munnar was not a good option, what about the route via Valparai for return? This will give an opportunity to see the water falls, forest and tea estates..!! Any latest update on the Vazhachal - Malakkappara stretch..?

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks