Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 09:52   #5626

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
While the other route is Salem-CBE-Palakkad section. The route mentioned is modified to work around this section (Perundurai-Kangeaym-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur etc)
Thanks Ampere. So, which route would be better in terms of roads and time? The Salem-CBE-Palakkad one or the Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugal -Theni-Kumily-Kottayam one?

Old 6th September 2013, 10:21   #5627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagsNair View Post
Thanks Ampere. So, which route would be better in terms of roads and time? The Salem-CBE-Palakkad one or the Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugal -Theni-Kumily-Kottayam one?

I would vote for Dindigul. Thats because almost all the bulk of driving you would take on good roads. If you go around CBE, quite some distance I think you will have to curve through Kerala.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:39   #5628
BHPian

Planning to travel from Bangalore to Angamali in coming weeks.

As per the news report Road repairs between Trissur and Walayar started on August 14th and expected to complete soon.

Is there anyone traveled by this route recently? What is the condition of road?

OR

Should I take the Ottapalam route from palakkad?
Old 6th September 2013, 19:47   #5629
BHPian

Need quick info on the Adimali Munnar road. Has this beenredone after the recent land slide? Any. BHPian been on the road of late?
Old 7th September 2013, 16:53   #5630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Planning to travel from Bangalore to Angamali in coming weeks.

As per the news report Road repairs between Trissur and Walayar started on August 14th and expected to complete soon.

OR

Should I take the Ottapalam route from palakkad?
They are repairing the Roads, but when I came back from Kerala 2 weeks back , From Palghat to Thrissur where getting repaired in Patches.
The multiaxle volvo was not feeling comfortable in that route. Its recommended to take ottappalam route , even though it adds an odd 20KM.

Experts here or people who have traveled recently please pitch in.
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 17:31   #5631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post

I have traveled TCR-PGT route in the last week of August.
At some place the repair works were indeed going on.
But given a chance, I would opt for ALHTR-PZR-TCR Route.
It's around 20KM more, but you get a nice cool drive.
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 10:44   #5632
BHPian

Hi

My parents are planning to travel to coonor this weekend from pala. can anyone suggest the best route. my father will be driving a Ritz

1) Is it best to take NH47 via angamaly, chalakuddy, palakad, combatore, mettupalayam. how is the stretch between thrissur and palakkad. has it improved? what is the best alternative for this stretch.
2) or is it better to go via perinthalmanna, nilambur, gudalur, ooty, coonor. how is this road?

the second option seems to be longer by a good 50 kilometers. pls let me know the road conditions and best option
Old 9th September 2013, 10:52   #5633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post

the second option seems to be longer by a good 50 kilometers. pls let me know the road conditions and best option
If you need good roads they are longer. Trichur-Palakkad is diffucult. One option which I can suggest, but which is a good 60km more is :

Pala-Angamaly-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Pallada-Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor.

Quite a longer route, but good roads all the way.
Old 9th September 2013, 11:04   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

My parents are planning to travel to coonor this weekend from pala. can anyone suggest the best route. my father will be driving a Ritz

1) Is it best to take NH47 via angamaly, chalakuddy, palakad, combatore, mettupalayam. how is the stretch between thrissur and palakkad. has it improved? what is the best alternative for this stretch.
2) or is it better to go via perinthalmanna, nilambur, gudalur, ooty, coonor. how is this road?

You can either go via Thrissur wadakancheri perinthalmana nilambur gudalur ooty or via thrissur wadakancheri alathur pollachi annur mettupalayam coonoor.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 11:35   #5635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you need good roads they are longer. Trichur-Palakkad is diffucult. One option which I can suggest, but which is a good 60km more is :

Pala-Angamaly-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Pallada-Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor.

Quite a longer route, but good roads all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You can either go via Thrissur wadakancheri perinthalmana nilambur gudalur ooty or via thrissur wadakancheri alathur pollachi annur mettupalayam coonoor.
thanks amepre & ranjit

my father is a reasonably good driver even at 70. they plan to start early in the morning say 5, 5.30. keeping in this mind what will be the approximate time required for the

Angamaly-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Pallada-Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor and approximately how much time will each sector take and recommended places for lunch

same for the

Thrissur wadakancheri perinthalmana nilambur gudalur ooty, coonor route.

also how about the kothamangalam, valparai, pollachi route. is it recommended and how are the roads, any idea?
Old 9th September 2013, 11:45   #5636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
also how about the kothamangalam, valparai, pollachi route. is it recommended and how are the roads, any idea?
Time wise it should be the same. Because you drive through ghats around Valparai. Since any way he has to drive on ghats at the later stage, I would say take the plains to start with. You may get more options for food break as well.
Old 9th September 2013, 11:56   #5637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks amepre & ranjit

my father is a reasonably good driver even at 70. they plan to start early in the morning say 5, 5.30. keeping in this mind what will be the approximate time required for the

Angamaly-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Pallada-Karumathampatty-Annur-Mettupalayam-Conoor and approximately how much time will each sector take and recommended places for lunch

same for the

Thrissur wadakancheri perinthalmana nilambur gudalur ooty, coonor route.

Nilambur route is heavily trafficked post 6am all the way till Gudalur and if its a weekend all the way till Ooty.Crossing Ooty also can take quite a bit of time if its a holiday or a weekend.Alathur-Annur is a relatively less trafficked route except for pollachi town traffic.

Tentative timings given below.He can take one route while going and return via the other route.Plenty of wayside restaurants and fuel station options on both routes.

5am dep
7am:angamaly
8am:thrissur
830:wadakancheri
930:alathur
1000:kollengode
1045-11:Pollachi
1300:Karumathampatti
1430-1500:Mettupalayam
1600:Coonoor

830:Wadakancheri
915:Shoranur
945:Pattambi
1030:P'manna
1200:Nilambur
1330:Gudalur
1500:ooty
1600:Coonoor

Kothamangalam-Valparai route is closed afaik,unless you have some more recent info.You would have to go via chalakudi-malakkapara-sholayar-valparai route which will take you ages to reach pollachi.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 13:35   #5638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Need quick info on the Adimali Munnar road. Has this beenredone after the recent land slide? Any. BHPian been on the road of late?
Adimali - munnar is fine. The last 10 kms before entering Munnar is bad.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 23:03   #5639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For me it is Pandikkad-Perinthalmana-Kulappully-Vazhacode-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kuttannellur-NH47.From thrissur as you might already know,no need to drive back to mannuthy,instead go via Jubilee Mission-Kuttanellur-NH47 Toll gate.
`
Hi Ranjit - When you go from wadakanchery to angamali, is the above mentioned route completely avoids the thrissur town? If so, could you please give some landmarks to help identify the diversions on the way
Old 10th September 2013, 06:26   #5640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post

Hi Ranjit - When you go from wadakanchery to angamali, is the above mentioned route completely avoids the thrissur town? If so, could you please give some landmarks to help identify the diversions on the way
Hi Vinu,yes you dont enter the thrissur swaraj round when you take the above route.

-Coming from Wadakancheri,you would reach Power House junction(left goes towards Engg college)straight towards thrissur.

-Continue straight.within a couple of kms you would cross Viyyur bridge and within another kilometer you would encounter a fork road juction (with directions for palakkad and guruvayur)Take the left fork.Straight would take you towards Patturaikal junction and further towards guruvayur.

-Once you take the left at the fork continue straight till you reach the Ashwini Hospital circle with NeXt showroom on your right.

-At the circle take a left(you would see a petrol pump,Big Bazaar etc at 90degrees to you) keep on the road for approx 3kms or so.The road takes a natural right followed by a natural left and again a natural right.At this point you would see bal bhavan on your right followed by KSFE on your right and a traffic circle with the Town Hall right in front of you at 90degrees.

-Take a left at the circle,you would pass by the zoo following which the road takes a natural right,crossing Bishop Palace enroute,followed by St.Claire's convent to your right.

-After St.Claire's,you reach a busy junction:left at the junction would take you to Mannuthy,right at the junction would take you to thrissur round,go straight at the junction,you would cross Jubilee Mission Medical College to your left

-the road takes a natural left after the JMMC.keep on the straight road all the way till it connects to NH47 just before the toll gate on NH47.This road is the kuttanellur road
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed