Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 14:35   #4126
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

How are the roads between palakkad and coimbatore? And the traffic at Walayar? Trying to drive to Ooty from Trichur thru Ottapalam and reach palakakd.
Old 8th September 2012, 16:42   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
How are the roads between palakkad and coimbatore? And the traffic at Walayar? Trying to drive to Ooty from Trichur thru Ottapalam and reach palakakd.
Palakkad to Coimbatore was average until last week. Walayar to Madukkarai could be a pain if you are in a low GC vehicle - its not horrible, but would eat time. Traffic at Walayar should be low, since the peak season is over.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 08:52   #4128
BHPian

Driven to Thrissur from Bangalore on 6th Sep morning. Started at 4:45am and stopped at 07:45 at Saravana bhavan after Salem. There are many diversions after Avinasi and too much of traffic. Roads are bad from Valayar onwards. There are big potholes but still you can drive easily during day time. I took Alathur - Pazhayannur - Chelakkara route. The roads are very good and very less in traffic. It is wide enough for the current traffic density.

From Thrissur, I drove to Payyannur via Calicut. Took the left turn and the immediate right at Kechery to byepass Kunnamkulam. This is a very good option with less traffic and good roads. You will reach Akkikkavu in NH17, just before the turn to Pattambi.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th September 2012, 09:39   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Report in Malayala Manorama about a 3 Hr traffic block in Kuthiran yesterday due to truck breakdowns. Potholes that were temporarily filled have opened up as per the report (though I didn't find any such filling during my trip 2 weeks back!)
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 13:56   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
From Thrissur, I drove to Payyannur via Calicut. Took the left turn and the immediate right at Kechery to byepass Kunnamkulam. This is a very good option with less traffic and good roads. You will reach Akkikkavu in NH17, just before the turn to Pattambi.
Shouldn't that be "the right turn and the immediate left" at Kechery ?? (Just pointing out so that someone who is looking for directions for that bypass doesn't get confused )
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 18:51   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Shouldn't that be "the right turn and the immediate left" at Kechery ?? (Just pointing out so that someone who is looking for directions for that bypass doesn't get confused )
Yes, thanks Kala. Its right and then left ...!!!
Old 17th September 2012, 14:34   #4132
BHPian

Has anyone taken the Madurai route from Bangalore? Heard that there are some road work going on and advised to avoid night driving? Is there any reason for concern? I drive a low GC Punto. Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 14:48   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joommen View Post
Has anyone taken the Madurai route from Bangalore? Heard that there are some road work going on and advised to avoid night driving? Is there any reason for concern? I drive a low GC Punto. Thanks
Road widening work happening around Dindigul,no problems with safety or any other concern,would slow you down because of diversions.You can easily drive through.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 07:32   #4134
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good place to have breakfast at theni-cumbam-Kumily or further ahead.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:45   #4135
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Can someone suggest a good place to have breakfast at theni-cumbam-Kumily or further ahead.
At Theni:
1.Meenakshi Bhavan right next to a BP petrol pump and about 1-2 Km before the right turn off to Bodi when going from Theni to Bodi.
2.You can also try Western Gatz, heard it is good.
Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:49   #4136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
At Theni you have hotel Meenakshi bhavan. Its I think right next to the petrol bunk after the Madurai road meets the Theni-Kumily road at the by-pass.

I have also heard about a Hotel Vaigai on the main road for food.

A more upmarket place is Westergatz on the NRT road. Its very close to main highway. Also seems like a decent place to stay over night.

EDIT : NPV, Just saw your post. Yes Westergatz is a decent. Even I have heard good things about. (But I have not stayed there)
Just checked their web site. Seems like a good place.

http://www.westerngatz.com

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2012 at 08:51.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:45   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Route update...

Have done Chennai - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Salem - Sangagiri - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Kollengode - Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy - Chalakudi - Angamaly - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha last weekend instead of regular Erode - CBE - Palakkad - Thrissur/Mannuthy.

All the roads are excellent except the 15 Km of bad roads between Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy stretch starting from Vadakkancherry, where one can find potholes of all sizes, shapes & depths.

I'm sure many would've updated here the super dooper stretch between Thrissur - Angamaly is pure driving/riding pleasure.

Perundurai - Kangeyam stretch is good enough but feels a little scary on speeds above 80 for some reason

Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi is pure riding/driving pleasure on two lane road

Last edited by aargee : 18th September 2012 at 11:48.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 18:02   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Route update...

Have done Chennai - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Salem - Sangagiri - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Meenakshipuram - Kollengode - Vadakkancherry - Mannuthy - Chalakudi - Angamaly - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha last weekend instead of regular Erode - CBE - Palakkad - Thrissur/Mannuthy.
How was the stretch between Attur-Salem? And how did you bypass Salem? Are the roads good enough to bypass Salem?
Old 18th September 2012, 18:11   #4139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda

How was the stretch between Attur-Salem? And how did you bypass Salem? Are the roads good enough to bypass Salem?
Attur-Salem is better than taking Krishnagiri route for a simple reason that last 13-15 km is being worked. Basically from Vazhapadi onwards & it slows down to 30-40 kmph for traffic on 2 lane & the entire city is bypassed
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 11:01   #4140
BHPian

Thinking of a Chennai to Aluva road trip this weekend (a family trip and no train tickets available).

Some questions:
A. What is the best route (no diversions/blocks/major road work) to take from the 3 options Google throws up

1. Chennai-> Villupuram->Ulundurpet -> Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544
2. NH 48 (Vellore -> Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri ->) and Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544
3. Chennai->Wallajah->Kannamangalam->Polur->Uthangarai-> Salem - Ernakulam Highway/NH 544 and NH 544

B. Approximately how much time to factor for each way and is it do-able (not too tiring for a single driver)within Saturday (Onward)and Sunday(Return) ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks