Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 14:59   #4111
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

'The Hindu' today gave a rather disappointing news that the NH 47 road condition will remain as is, till monsoon clears way :(

The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) officials here said on Monday that repair of the damaged National Highway 47 between Vadakkumcherry and Walayar for which administrative sanction of Rs.50 lakh had been given would be delayed as the work can be taken up only after the monsoon.

Full news article here;
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle3860921.ece
Old 6th September 2012, 01:37   #4112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the route via Pollachi may not gain time in a big way, but more importantly, you
would rarely lose time than, what one would have accounted for.

Its mostly predictable (excluding crossing Pollachi). And also its nicer to drive through this section.
Not sure about uncertainties at Kollengode.
Repeated the same route just now while going to Vadakkencherry. This time I reached Chengapalli at 7.35 pm, and my route timing is as below:

Reached Tirupur at 7.55 pm, Palladam at 8.20 (heavy traffic while exiting Tirupur), Pollachi at 9.05, Kollengode at 9.35 and Vadakkencherry (back on the highway) at 10.05 pm.

2.5 hours for this stretch, which would normally take me ~3 hours.
Old 6th September 2012, 08:48   #4113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Reached Tirupur at 7.55 pm, Palladam at 8.20 (heavy traffic while exiting Tirupur), Pollachi at 9.05, Kollengode at 9.35 and Vadakkencherry (back on the highway) at 10.05 pm.
You should NOT go through Tiruppur. Most cases you would get stuck in traffic.
Best is to exit GQ at Perundurai and come to Palladam via Kangeyam. That is much much easier, in spite of traffic on Palladam-Kangeyam NH67. But the road is very good.
Old 6th September 2012, 08:53   #4114
BHPian

FYI , Alapuzha - kayamkulam - karunagapally stretch is in real bad shape with huge pot holes good enough to dislocate the bones and i'm sure the suspension will take a hit.
Beware when travelling through this part of NH at night.
Old 6th September 2012, 08:55   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is this the Satyamangalam route to reach CBE? Always wanted to ride down this road as friends have only said good things about it.
Yes. The route is Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Dimbum-Bannari-Sathy-Annur-CBE. The scenery is amazing and the road is great to drive if you love curves and elevation changes. It will take around 5 hours to reach CBE.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 10:57   #4116
BHPian

Can someone suggest the condition of the road to Changancherry from Bangalore

I have 2 options at the moment.

BGLR-->Salem-->Dindigul-->Cumbam-->Theni--> Kumily-->Kottayam-->Chry

BGLR-->Salem-->CBE-->Palakkad-->Thrissur-->Cochin-->Alleppey-->Chry

please suggest any other alternative route,if present.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:25   #4117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

I came from Bangalore two weeks back via this route:
BGLR-->Salem-->CBE-->Palakkad-->Thrissur-->Cochin-->Alleppey

Drive till 25 km to Coimbatore is a breeze, but then onwards it is somewhere between hell and reality

After interacting with quite a few people in this forum and elsewhere the suggestion for me is to go back to Bangalore via:
Chry-->Kottayam--> Kumily-->Theni-->Cumbam-->Dindigul-->Salem-->BGLR

Last edited by rajeshchand : 6th September 2012 at 11:26.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:49   #4118
BHPian

Quote:

Please refer to my earlier post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2891135)
I took the Theni-Kumily route two weeks back and it's a much more relaxed drive then the Coimbatore-Palakkad route. If you are going to Changanassery, you don't have to go to Kottyam. After Vazhoor, you can take a left to Karukachal and go directly to Changanassery (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ku...=h&mra=ls&z=12)
Old 6th September 2012, 12:00   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Definitely worth it. In fact even for onward journey you should have taken that. At least there are no diversions and roads are very good.

The only catch is to find the road to go past Pollachi. Can be a bit irritating, but much more a pleasant experience than going through diversions.

But do note take the Pollachi-Palladam-Kanngeyam-Perundurai option, instead of Palladam-Tiruppur.
Amp: since I have to start my return from CBe does this route still make sense ? Also does this join after the bad stretch in the Ulundurpetai Salem stretch?
Old 6th September 2012, 12:14   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
since I have to start my return from CBe does this route still make sense ? Also does this join after the bad stretch in the Ulundurpetai Salem stretch?
I think you are meaning, Sulur-Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai. Roads are good, but truck traffic is there till Palladam / till that Tirupur road junction.

Annur-Avanashi is still better, it saves time.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:31   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Please refer to my earlier post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2891135)
I took the Theni-Kumily route two weeks back and it's a much more relaxed drive then the Coimbatore-Palakkad route. If you are going to Changanassery, you don't have to go to Kottyam. After Vazhoor, you can take a left to Karukachal and go directly to Changanassery (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ku...=h&mra=ls&z=12)
+1 to that. Based on reports I've seen here, you can avoid the Dindigul-Theni stretch (where road-widening work is on) by going little bit further on NH7 till Kodai Road and taking a right from there. (Couldn't locate the post that details this route, but I think it was in this thread itself, you might need to go back a few pages)

And yes - you don't need to go to Kottayam when your final destination Changanacherry. Take the left fork at Pulickal Kavala junction (Also known as 14th mile since it is 14 miles / 23 kms from Kottayam) which takes you directly to Changanacherry via Karukachal in about 26 kms. That road is also generally in very good shape all the time.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:06   #4122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Amp: since I have to start my return from CBe does this route still make sense ? Also does this join after the bad stretch in the Ulundurpetai Salem stretch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Annur-Avanashi is still better, it saves time.
+1

I thought you were starting again from Palakkad. Hence suggested that option.
If you are starting from CBE, the surely Annur-Avinashi is the way to go.
No need to go to Palladam/Kangeyam.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:30   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
+1 to that. Based on reports I've seen here, you can avoid the Dindigul-Theni stretch (where road-widening work is on) by going little bit further on NH7 till Kodai Road and taking a right from there. (Couldn't locate the post that details this route, but I think it was in this thread itself, you might need to go back a few pages)
Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2878845
There is a toll booth some distance away after the turn towards Dindigul town and there is an over pass just after the toll. Take the service road and turn right under the bridge and follow the road (it's a bit tricky). Then, you reach a junction and take a left at this junction and the road directly leads you to Batlagundu. After Batlagundu, I missed the left turn and continued to Periyakulam and Theni. The roads are not that bad on this stretch. Only some patches are bad due to widening work.

Actually, I took this route and the roads, eventhough is only two lanes, the surface is good and traffic is less. I started from BLR around 05:00 and reached Kumily by lunch time. It was raining heavily after that and still, I managed to reach my home (Pathanamthitta) by around 16:00.
Old 7th September 2012, 14:45   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2878845
There is a toll booth some distance away after the turn towards Dindigul town and there is an over pass just after the toll. Take the service road and turn right under the bridge and follow the road (it's a bit tricky). Then, you reach a junction and take a left at this junction and the road directly leads you to Batlagundu. After Batlagundu, I missed the left turn and continued to Periyakulam and Theni. The roads are not that bad on this stretch. Only some patches are bad due to widening work.

If you miss that turn, which I did in my last trip, there is another option if you drive a couple of kms down on NH7 from Kodai road. It is a clearly marked junction, with a right turn to Theni/Kodaikanal. Just turn there and turn right again in the immediate junction and you are on the road to Vatlagundu, all the way straight.

Link here.

Last edited by vasoo : 7th September 2012 at 14:47.
Old 7th September 2012, 20:50   #4125

[quote=binaiks;2884516]It would be worthwhile if you are driving a low clearance vehicle, or if you prefer driving on the 'road' than 'off-roading'. If your destination is well within Thrissur town, then the difference in distance would be less than 20kms.

Thanks. I did the Palakkad - Ottapalam - Kulappully - Thrissur stretch earlier this week and in spite of the monsoon rain it was a superb drive. Excellent road and the celebrated green of Valluvanad in all its glory. I was told the NH between Thrissur and Palakkad remains in a rotten state.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks