Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 10:49   #6556
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
What is the best route for Bangalore-Munnar trip? Read several threads on the forum but still confused. Can someone who's done this recently advise on the best option? I'll be travelling with my wife for a 4-5 days vacation, so open for night halt in between and if there is an option to cover a good place. This will be the first time I'll be travelling to Kerala, and bit apprehensive about food options for pure vegetarians, so any pointers for food along the route as well as in Munnar will also be much appreciated.
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet and then Munnar. I suggested the above route to my office colleague for his trip to Munnar. Very good roads all the way till Udumalaipet. From there to Munnar, ghat roads.
Old 6th March 2014, 12:20   #6557
Distinguished - BHPian

I am travelling from Kochi to Trivandrum this weekend.

As per what I gathered from regular travellers, the roads are expected to be good.
Shall however update on return
Old 8th March 2014, 12:31   #6558
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Kochi on 6th evening. Bangalore-Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur-Omallur-Sankari-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Mannuthy-Trichur-Kochi.

Overall, good condition and there is much progress between Walayar and Vadakkancherry.

Tarring work started at Karumathampatti flyover

520 kms from Electronics City BETL toll to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kaloor.

Bhpian arjithin too was driving to Trichur and had a quick meet at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Sankari.
Old 8th March 2014, 16:27   #6559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Bangalore-Kochi on 6th evening. Bangalore-Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur-Omallur-Sankari-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Mannuthy-Trichur-Kochi.
How much time did it take?
Old 8th March 2014, 21:45   #6560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul

How much time did it take?
I left after 3pm and reached Kaloor by 1am with few breaks. We were travelling with our six month old so preferred 80 kmph mostly.
Old 8th March 2014, 21:58   #6561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Overall, good condition and there is much progress between Walayar and Vadakkancherry.

Tarring work started at Karumathampatti flyover

520 kms from Electronics City BETL toll to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kaloor.

Bhpian arjithin too was driving to Trichur and had a quick meet at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Sankari.
I suppose you avoided paying toll at Omalur and sankagiri by going via Tharamangalam and Konganapuram (SH86). How is the road condition??
Old 9th March 2014, 14:39   #6562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs

I suppose you avoided paying toll at Omalur and sankagiri by going via Tharamangalam and Konganapuram (SH86). How is the road condition??
I could avoid Krishnagiri, Omallur and Sankari tolls and its shorter by at least 20kms. Also, I wanted to avoid evening traffic at Salem.

Nothing to worry about road but its two lane.
Old 10th March 2014, 17:28   #6563
NGM
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Kochi to Ooty next week.Which is better?Prefer good roads as less traffic is not an option in Kerala.

1.Kochi-Mannuthy-Palakkad-CBE-Ooty --How is the Mannuthy-CBE stretch now?

2.Kochi -Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Ooty.

Any suggestions?
Old 10th March 2014, 18:57   #6564
Senior - BHPian

Back from a Bangalore - Chalakudy - Bangalore trip.

Onward to CHalakudy was on 8th..started at 3:45 PM and reached Chalakudy at 1:15 AM. I was travelling with a 5 month old, so progress was slow.

Quote:
Thank you coolclouds for all the calls and waiting for me to catch up with you. It was very nice meeting with you.

While in Kerala, had a Guruvayoor and a Mala - paravoor trip; nothing to add on the road conditions, they continue to be great

Return was today 10th. Stgarted at 6AM and reached HSR at 3:15 PM with n number of pee/poo breaks for the infant

Took the Nenmara - Pollachi - Palladam - Mangalam - Avinashi route this side. The Mangalam railway overbridge is open now.

Bypassed Salem via Tharamangalam - Omallur SH86. Took the left turn at Shakthi automobiles at Sankari bypass, turned first right and then joined SH86 few km later. Good roads throughout. Traffic at Omallur town was heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-untitled.jpg  

arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 07:03   #6565
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled from Kochi to Varkala last weekend.
Except for traffic clogs at a few places due to the temple festival season, the drive was pretty smooth.
The roads were in very good condition all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I am planning to travel from Kochi to Ooty next week.Which is better?Prefer good roads as less traffic is not an option in Kerala.

Any suggestions?
The last I heard, Nagudani ghats which falls in between Nilambur and Gudalur was in bad shape.
However, If road conditions are okay, I would suggest option two being more scenic

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 11th March 2014 at 07:21.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 07:22   #6566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
i suggest option 1. Mannuthy - Alathur is smooth surface. Alathur -CBE Bypass start is bumpy with occasional potholes. Can drive at a 50-60kmph speed throughout.
Last time I took option 2 was in Jan and I cursed myself for taking that route. From the start of Ghat section till Gudalur, road condition was bad.

Last edited by arjithin : 11th March 2014 at 07:24.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 07:48   #6567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM

Any suggestions?
As per last updates on Bangalore - Ooty thread, even Gudallur - Ooty os not in great shape. Better, go for option 1
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 10:21   #6568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

The last I heard, Nagudani ghats which falls in between Nilambur and Gudalur was in bad shape.
However, If road conditions are okay, I would suggest option two being more scenic
I traveled this route last week of Feb. Nadugani is a little patchy on the Kerala side (But still comfortably drivable) and has been completely relaid on the TN side. The road is great from the KL-TN Border all the way to Gudalur.

Gudalur-Ooty I think is still bad. Gudalur-Theppakdu-Masinagudi-ooty could have been an option, but again Gudalur-Theppakadu is quite bad in 3-4 stretches.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 10:41   #6569
BHPian

Any update on the current road condition from Nagarhole - Kutta - Thirunelli? Can it be done by a small hatch (ritz) ?
Old 11th March 2014, 18:36   #6570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did Kochi - Bangalore yesterday.

Kaloor - Mannuthy - (NH47) - Avinashi - Edappadi - Jalakandapuram - Nangavalli - Mecheri - Thoppur - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur - Bangalore.

The infamous Palakkad - Walayar - Coimbatore is patched up and can be done easily though surface not smooth.

Edappadi - Mecheri - Thoppur SH is in good shape. Palacode route also patched up and good for speeds ~80-90 kmph.

I was traveling with my 6 months old daughter and preferred interior roads for wayside stop/shade.

Distance from Kaloor to Electronic city was 520 km and tolls at Trichur, L&T, Chengampalli, Thoppur and Attibelle.

Present widening work status between Vadakkancheri and Alathur:
From edappadi, how did you go to Avinashi. Was it via NH47 or did you go to Bhavani. Can you show your route map?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks