Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 19:29   #8746
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While going I normally take 3. While returning, I tried 1 once and liked it. Totally bypasses the city (especially the stretch from SH 33-Ring Road Jn to the Nanjangud Road) and since it is mostly a 6 lane road now, you can make pretty quick progress (Only the signals are a bother)
I usually take the clockwise route while going towards Nanjangud/HD Kote. Have never gone beyond Hunsur road in the anticlockwise direction.

Be careful when you try to make 'quick progress' on the ring road. I was once caught overspeeding (was doing 80kmph) by an interceptor. Was not stopped, but a notice was sent home.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 19:42   #8747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Be careful when you try to make 'quick progress' on the ring road. I was once caught overspeeding (was doing 80kmph) by an interceptor. Was not stopped, but a notice was sent home.
Oh yes, have experienced that . Got a notice for over speeding on Bannur Road (when taking the clock wise ring road) a few months back. I assume I must have been above 50 which I think was the limit on that road.

Now anywhere in and around Mysore, I stick to between 50-60. That is my quick progress. . I have not seen any speed limit boards on the ring road, so assume it must be 60.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th July 2015 at 19:44.
Old 13th July 2015, 20:23   #8748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Oh yes, have experienced that . Got a notice for over speeding on Bannur Road (when taking the clock wise ring road) a few months back. I assume I must have been above 50 which I think was the limit on that road.

Now anywhere in and around Mysore, I stick to between 50-60. That is my quick progress. . I have not seen any speed limit boards on the ring road, so assume it must be 60.
It is 60 kmph if I remember correctly, I had seen one of the sign boards enroute. The road looks so inviting, and with sparse traffic it is hard to not step up the gas.
The worst part is that there is no provision to pay the fine online. I had to depend on a friend, a Mysorean, to pay it in the end.
Old 13th July 2015, 20:31   #8749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It is 60 kmph if I remember correctly, I had seen one of the sign boards enroute. The road looks so inviting, and with sparse traffic it is hard to not step up the gas.
The worst part is that there is no provision to pay the fine online. I had to depend on a friend, a Mysorean, to pay it in the end.
You can also send a money order. I had posted a question in the Mysore Police FB page and they had asked to send Money Order. I did get confirmation that it was delivered there, but did not get any receipt. Have kept the acknowledgment as proof
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 10:07   #8750
BHPian

Update on my recently concluded 5 day kerala trip.
Left Bangalore on 8th July at 4:45 am. Via Salem- Coimbatore-Palakkad- Trichur, reached Angamaly at 1:15pm. Took a one hour halt for breakfast at Saravana Bhavan on Salem -Coimbatore route at 7:30am. Roads were good for major part of the drive and was happy to see the beautiful roads after walayar towards Palakkad.

On 10th July, drove to Nedumkunnam from Angamaly. Route taken was MC road via perumbavur, muvattupuzha, koothattukulam, monipally, kuravilangadu (from here took a right to kurupanthara as MC road is bad upto Ettumanoor) From Kurupanthara, went to Kottayam, Pambady, Manthuruthy, Nedumkunnam. Drive time around 4 hours

11th July after a function at changanachery, took the alapuzha road to reach angamaly. This drive was good except for 15 minute traffic situation in alapuzha and a 30 minute slow traffic from vyttila to edapally

12th July - Came back to Bangalore via the onward journey route.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:40   #8751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
On 10th July, drove to Nedumkunnam from Angamaly. Route taken was MC road via perumbavur, muvattupuzha, koothattukulam, monipally, kuravilangadu (from here took a right to kurupanthara as MC road is bad upto Ettumanoor) From Kurupanthara, went to Kottayam, Pambady, Manthuruthy, Nedumkunnam. Drive time around 4 hours
Since your destination was east of Manarcadu, I think Koothattukulam-Uzhavoor-Kidangoor-Manarcadu-Pambady-Nedumkunnam would have made a lot of sense. That would have saved you about 15-20 kms in distance and about half an hour to an hour in terms of driving time. If you had consulted Google Maps I'm sure it would have suggested this route.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:05   #8752
BHPian

Folks, I am planning to visit Dubare and Wayanad. Planning to start early from Bangalore and cover Dubare on Day-1 and reach the farm stay (Jungle Retreat, Wayanad) by evening.

What is the recommended route from Dubare to Jungle Retreat Wayanad? Google Maps suggests this route: Dubare-Siddapura-Ammathi-Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Kutta-Tholpetty-Jungle Retreat. How is the condition of the route?
Old 15th July 2015, 09:41   #8753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Folks, I am planning to visit Dubare and Wayanad. Planning to start early from Bangalore and cover Dubare on Day-1 and reach the farm stay (Jungle Retreat, Wayanad) by evening.

What is the recommended route from Dubare to Jungle Retreat Wayanad? Google Maps suggests this route: Dubare-Siddapura-Ammathi-Gonikoppal-Ponnampet-Kutta-Tholpetty-Jungle Retreat. How is the condition of the route?
Gonikoppal-Kutta-Tholpetty stretch is very good. Gonikoppal-Kutta has been recently relaid (and widened also I think).

Not sure about the other sections. From what I recall reading in some of the other threads (mainly Coorg related thread), it should be good.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 20:26   #8754
NGM
BHPian

Friends,I am planning a trip to Velankanni in the coming week from Kottayam.

Please suggest the best route based on the current road condition.

Any pointers for some good neat accommodation in velankanni?
Old 15th July 2015, 21:11   #8755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Kottayam-Kanjirapally-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni.

No idea about stay.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 21:28   #8756
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kottayam-Kanjirapally-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni.

No idea about stay.
If I start at 4 am is there any good place recommended for breakfast.
How about covering Rameshwaram /Dhanushkodi during return?will it be tiresome for kids?
Old 15th July 2015, 22:02   #8757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I start at 4 am is there any good place recommended for breakfast.
How about covering Rameshwaram /Dhanushkodi during return?will it be tiresome for kids?
- Western Gatz in Theni is a good place for a breakfast.
- For the return part, Rameshwaram is good, but you should plan for a stay.
- You cannot just visit the place and keep moving. That should be really tiring
Old 15th July 2015, 22:10   #8758
BHPian

Quote:

Any pointers for some good neat accommodation in velankanni?
There is a good hotel very near to the velankanni church (Assuming your purpose of visiting velankanni is to visit the church) I had lunch from there and was good. Don't recollect the name.
Old 16th July 2015, 23:30   #8759
Senior - BHPian

I stayed in Seagate Resorts last year. Its a good place and very close to the church. Food is average, swimming pool is very crowded.
Old 17th July 2015, 15:03   #8760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Update on my recently concluded 5 day kerala trip.
Left Bangalore on 8th July at 4:45 am. Via Salem- Coimbatore-Palakkad- Trichur, reached Angamaly at 1:15pm. Took a one hour halt for breakfast at Saravana Bhavan on Salem -Coimbatore route at 7:30am. Roads were good for major part of the drive and was happy to see the beautiful roads after walayar towards Palakkad.
You took 7 hrs even after starting so early? What was the average speed?

I am thinking about going home and was expecting ~6 hrs would be enough till Angamaly (If I start around 8AM, I was thinking I could reach by around 2PM - may be I was too optimistic).

Was it because of the road conditions or were you at cruising speeds?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks