Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 13:42   #3016
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Anyone did the Bangalore-Gundlepet-Bathery-Kozhikode stretch recently? How is the road condition from BAthery to Calicut?

I last used that route around the Onam time and the condition was pretty bad with lot of huge pot holes? Have those been patched or is it the same/worse than before.

I need to drive down in the next couple of days and was wondering whether to use the Bathery route or the Nilambur route. Any feedback from recent travellers would be welcome
I did Blr-Clt-Blr last weekend. Onward was via Bathery and I found some patchwork done and overall condition is better than what it was a month ago. But you still have some rough patches in wayanad and the ghats. Took the Nilambur route while coming back and roads are much better through out. Except for a small stretch while exiting Gudalur town towards Gundalpet, no problems anywhere.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:50   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
I did Blr-Clt-Blr last weekend. Onward was via Bathery and I found some patchwork done and overall condition is better than what it was a month ago. But you still have some rough patches in wayanad and the ghats. Took the Nilambur route while coming back and roads are much better through out. Except for a small stretch while exiting Gudalur town towards Gundalpet, no problems anywhere.
How much time do you think it may take to reach the forest area (where traffic restricted) if I start from Bommanahalli at 3pm? If possible, I wish to take Nilambur route (for the first time) for Christmas.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:08   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How much time do you think it may take to reach the forest area (where traffic restricted) if I start from Bommanahalli at 3pm? If possible, I wish to take Nilambur route (for the first time) for Christmas.
This should take anywhere between 4-5.5 hours depending on the Traffic.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 14:41   #3019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its such a beautiful place to drive. Any specific reasons, why you want to go around that place in the evening time?
Old 6th December 2011, 18:03   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree with lloydofcochin,you would reach the TN Checkpost at Bandipur entry in 5hours+ which is cutting it too fine.Especially the Xmas week is going to see very heavy traffic into Kerala and so be assured that Blr-Mysore is going to take nothing less than 3-4hours.From there to Gundulpet will take you another 1 hour in ideal conditions and 1.5hours in dense traffic conditions,which means the CP wouldnt let you in because you wouldnt be able to exit the WLS before 9pm.Also IMO(just a personal viewpoint),driving the Nilambur ghat in the night isnt a great idea as unlike the NH212,Nadugani-Vazhikadavu does not see that much of traffic so the drive can get a little lonely.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 18:24   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its such a beautiful place to drive. Any specific reasons, why you want to go around that place in the evening time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Fully agree with lloydofcochin,you would reach the TN Checkpost at Bandipur entry in 5hours+ which is cutting it too fine.Especially the Xmas week is going to see very heavy traffic into Kerala and so be assured that Blr-Mysore is going to take nothing less than 3-4hours.From there to Gundulpet will take you another 1 hour in ideal conditions and 1.5hours in dense traffic conditions,which means the CP wouldnt let you in because you wouldnt be able to exit the WLS before 9pm.Also IMO(just a personal viewpoint),driving the Nilambur ghat in the night isnt a great idea as unlike the NH212,Nadugani-Vazhikadavu does not see that much of traffic so the drive can get a little lonely.
Thank you guys.
It looks like getting there before 9pm is little risky, may try this next time.

I was feeling little bored about the regular highway so thought of trying something different. I wanted to try Nilambur/Calicut/Chamarajnagar routes during past trips but couldn't do so far.
Old 6th December 2011, 18:33   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to try Nilambur/Calicut/Chamarajnagar routes during past trips but couldn't do so far.
If you want to try the Nilambur route,do it during the daytime so that you get to see the ghats and forests in their full glory
Old 6th December 2011, 18:50   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to try the Nilambur route,do it during the daytime so that you get to see the ghats and forests in their full glory
Thanks, I am thinking that way now... may try while returning after Christmas holidays.
Old 6th December 2011, 18:55   #3024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was feeling little bored about the regular highway so thought of trying something different. I wanted to try Nilambur/Calicut/Chamarajnagar routes during past trips but couldn't do so far.
Quote:
You should then try Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur during the day time. Greenery all the way starting from Kanakpura road!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 19:01   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should then try Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur during the day time. Greenery all the way starting from Kanakpura road!
I am way too addicted to the A2B coffees and CCD coffees to try the Chamarajnagar route!

PS:I was a regular on that route during my college days since college was just off Kanakpura RoadBut not anymore
Old 6th December 2011, 19:01   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.. How is the road and distance?
Old 6th December 2011, 19:23   #3027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.. How is the road and distance?
Very decent roads all the way up to Chamarajnagar.

Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet is OK but with rough edges. If you want coffee, then You come back from Gundlupet towards Nanjangud for about 2-3 km to hit the CCD.

Ranjit, this is for you! Locations off Kanakpura road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2528621
Old 7th December 2011, 14:24   #3028
BHPian

I was planning a one day sight-seeing trip and wanting to cover multiple locations, came up with the following route:

Kayamkulam --> Kanjirapally --> Vagamon --> Idukki --> Munnar --> Kumily --> Kanjirapally --> Kayamkulam

I am concerned about the following:
  • Time - Is the above route too much to cover in a day with intermittent stops, assuming I can start at 5:00 AM from Kayamkulam?
  • Condition of roads - This would lead into my next concern, choice of vehicle. Does anyone have any updates on the current condition of the following roads:
    • Kanjirapally - Vagamon - Idukki
    • Idukki - Munnar
    • Munnar - Nedumkandam
    • Last time i travelled from Kumily to Kuttikanam (3 months ago), the portion between Kumily and Vandiperiyar was in pretty bad shape. Any improvment there since?
  • Choice of vehicle - There will be 5 people travelling. The choice is between a Fiat Linea D and an i20 D. Given the road conditions, which of these would be a better choice for this trip?
Old 7th December 2011, 14:59   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
I was planning a one day sight-seeing trip and wanting to cover multiple locations, came up with the following route:

Kayamkulam --> Kanjirapally --> Vagamon --> Idukki --> Munnar --> Kumily --> Kanjirapally --> Kayamkulam

I am concerned about the following:
  • Time - Is the above route too much to cover in a day with intermittent stops, assuming I can start at 5:00 AM from Kayamkulam?
  • Condition of roads - This would lead into my next concern, choice of vehicle. Does anyone have any updates on the current condition of the following roads:
    • Kanjirapally - Vagamon - Idukki
    • Idukki - Munnar
    • Munnar - Nedumkandam
    • Last time i travelled from Kumily to Kuttikanam (3 months ago), the portion between Kumily and Vandiperiyar was in pretty bad shape. Any improvment there since?
  • Choice of vehicle - There will be 5 people travelling. The choice is between a Fiat Linea D and an i20 D. Given the road conditions, which of these would be a better choice for this trip?
If you are just driving through, yes, you will make it, but if you plan to spend time a each of these places (Vagamon, Munnar) then it is not enough.

All roads are in good condition. Road through Idukki (from Muttom) is not open 6 pm - 6 am.

My time estimates would be as follows (no breaks):

Kayamkulam-Kanjirapally 3 hrs
Kanjirapally-Vagamon, 2 hrs
Vagamon-Idukki-Munnar, 5 hrs
Munnar-Kumili, 3 hrs
Kumili-Kanjirapalli-Kayamkulam, 5 hrs

BTW, which route do you plan to take from Kayamkulam to Kanjirapalli?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 15:07   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post

A quick casual look at Google Maps shows that this route is over 471 kms long - a one day sight-seeing looks far fetched to me. This could be tight, and you would not be able to spend much time at any single place - it would be more of driving all the time.

The situation in Kumily is a bit volatile - so be aware of the happenings.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks