Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 16:03   #16
BHPian

The last update is almost 2 years ago so here I go again.

I am planning to visit River Tern Lodge from Bangalore. When going, I'd like to save time and energy; so want the smoothest route. I believe Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere > Lakkavalli should be the way to go (or does it make sense to go via Hassan?). When returning we may be a little adventurous and want to come through Mulayangiri/Bababudangiri. Not sure where to take the detour. Should it be Lakavalli > Tarikere > Lingadahalli > Kemmengundi > Chikmagalur > Hassan > Bangalore?

Anyone knows conditions of these roads post-monsoon? I visited Mulayangiri 2 yrs ago (stayed in Chikmagalur) during this season but it was pretty bad.

Kousik
Old 17th August 2010, 14:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
The last update is almost 2 years ago so here I go again.

I am planning to visit River Tern Lodge from Bangalore. When going, I'd like to save time and energy; so want the smoothest route. I believe Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere > Lakkavalli should be the way to go (or does it make sense to go via Hassan?). When returning we may be a little adventurous and want to come through Mulayangiri/Bababudangiri. Not sure where to take the detour. Should it be Lakavalli > Tarikere > Lingadahalli > Kemmengundi > Chikmagalur > Hassan > Bangalore?

Anyone knows conditions of these roads post-monsoon? I visited Mulayangiri 2 yrs ago (stayed in Chikmagalur) during this season but it was pretty bad.

Kousik
I does not make sense to go via Hassan. You are better off taking the NH206 via Tumkur-Arsikere.

To get to Bababudangiri/Mullianagiri, the route you have mentioned is correct. When you reach Tarikere, look out for a road to your right. This road takes you to Chikmagalur and Kemmangundi. Take this road and reach Lingadahalli. After Lingadahalli, you need to take a right turn again at a fork. This will take you to Kemmangundi. Straight goes to Chikmagalur.

The road is good upto Lingadahalli and is good till Chikmagalur. After you turn right towards Kemmangundi do not expect good roads all the way to Kemmangundi-Bababudangiri-Mullianagiri-Chikmagalur. The road is very narrow and pretty bad. AFAIK, there have been no repairs done to this road.
Old 19th August 2010, 05:50   #18
BHPian

Thanks addyhemmige for the detailed information. One more quick query: when going, what would be my choices for breakfast or coffee break stops?
Old 19th August 2010, 08:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks addyhemmige for the detailed information. One more quick query: when going, what would be my choices for breakfast or coffee break stops?
This is where the whole problem is. You need to finish them before Tumkur.
You have loads of options (Kamat, CCD etc).

But yes thats too early. In stead make it in 5 hours and have it at River Tern!
Old 19th August 2010, 12:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is where the whole problem is. You need to finish them before Tumkur.
You have loads of options (Kamat, CCD etc).

But yes thats too early. In stead make it in 5 hours and have it at River Tern!
True. Tumkur is probably the last place where you might find decent breakfast points and toilets. After that, there is no well known place.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Don't miss to visit Preethi Canteen in Birur (in left-hand side while going towards Tarikere). Idli, dosa, vada and coffee are simply superb over there. It is kind of a cult favorite spot for travelers in that route.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
Don't miss to visit Preethi Canteen in Birur (in left-hand side while going towards Tarikere). Idli, dosa, vada and coffee are simply superb over there. It is kind of a cult favorite spot for travelers in that route.
Yeah, almost at the end of Birur town.
Vada is really good over there.
I always ask them to supply to my car.
Old 27th May 2011, 02:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route info. - Lakkavalli Forest Range..

Need an urgent update on the road condition from Muliyangiri-BabaBudangiri to Kemmangundi. HAve anyone recently taken this route? I'm not asking about the Lingadahalli road but about the inner hilly road which connect Bababudan and Kemmangundi. It was not at all good but very scenic when I went there last time but that was quite sometime back.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Need an urgent update on the road condition from Muliyangiri-BabaBudangiri to Kemmangundi. HAve anyone recently taken this route? I'm not asking about the Lingadahalli road but about the inner hilly road which connect Bababudan and Kemmangundi. It was not at all good but very scenic when I went there last time but that was quite sometime back.
Hi Kaushik,

Check out this guys post on his blog. He has driven on this road in April.

Treks and travels
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Lovely photos.. Absolutely enjoyed it. Would love to do it sometime soon. Just wondering if I am travelling from Bangalore to River Tern Lodge is it better to go through Hassan and then Chickmaglur or will it be better to go through Tumkur-Tarikere?

Also, how are the road conditions as of now. I recently went to Belur and the roads were great till there. Not sure how it is post that.

On the way back if I want to come back through Belur/ Halebidu, how are the roads from Tarikere to Chickmaglur? Will my humble Esteem last that stretch?
Old 28th June 2011, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Lovely photos.. Absolutely enjoyed it. Would love to do it sometime soon. Just wondering if I am travelling from Bangalore to River Tern Lodge is it better to go through Hassan and then Chickmaglur or will it be better to go through Tumkur-Tarikere?

Also, how are the road conditions as of now. I recently went to Belur and the roads were great till there. Not sure how it is post that.

On the way back if I want to come back through Belur/ Halebidu, how are the roads from Tarikere to Chickmaglur? Will my humble Esteem last that stretch?
The shortest route to River Tern Lodge is through Tumkur-Arsikere-Tarikere. Going via Hassan is a very big roundabout. The road conditions should be good.

The Tarikere-Chikmagalur road too is in good condition. There were a couple of rough patches but I believe they have been repaired and patched up. IIRC, sushrutha had posted this last month (I don't know which thread though). Your esteem should have no problems whatsoever on this road.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The shortest route to River Tern Lodge is through Tumkur-Arsikere-Tarikere. Going via Hassan is a very big roundabout. The road conditions should be good.

The Tarikere-Chikmagalur road too is in good condition. There were a couple of rough patches but I believe they have been repaired and patched up. IIRC, sushrutha had posted this last month (I don't know which thread though). Your esteem should have no problems whatsoever on this road.
also, will the Tarikere - Chickmaglur route take me through the strech which has those lovely rolling grasslands across hills? Have seen some photos on Samuria's blog!

Also the lovely photos were for Samuria's blog. Not sure how it got posted here

Last edited by sarmarishi : 28th June 2011 at 16:04.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also, will the Tarikere - Chickmaglur route take me through the strech which has those lovely rolling grasslands across hills? Have seen some photos on Samuria's blog!

Also the lovely photos were for Samuria's blog. Not sure how it got posted here
I'm not sure what pictures you are talking about. But, the Tarikere-Chikmagalur road passes through Coffee estates and most of it is ghat section. But, you will not have the grassland views on this stretch. For such kind of views you will have to go to Chikmagalur via Kemmangundi
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I'm not sure what pictures you are talking about. But, the Tarikere-Chikmagalur road passes through Coffee estates and most of it is ghat section. But, you will not have the grassland views on this stretch. For such kind of views you will have to go to Chikmagalur via Kemmangundi
Yes I think the grass lands come in the Kemmangundi - Chickmagalur route. How is that road? If I am to go by Samurai's pics from 2009, they were only hospitable for SUV's. So if they have not worked on them by now I am sure there are craters there. Do let me know then I can may be take that route to come to Chickmagalur-Hassan from River Tern Lodge. Thanks for all the quick replies
Old 28th June 2011, 16:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I think the grass lands come in the Kemmangundi - Chickmagalur route. How is that road? If I am to go by Samurai's pics from 2009, they were only hospitable for SUV's. So if they have not worked on them by now I am sure there are craters there. Do let me know then I can may be take that route to come to Chickmagalur-Hassan from River Tern Lodge. Thanks for all the quick replies
2 weeks back, a friend of mine went to Kemmangundi. According to him, the road is good all the way from Chikmagalur to Bababudangiri and the Bababudangiri-Kemmangundi stretch is bad. Kemmangundi-Lingadahalli stretch could be bad too (not sure). He traveled in an Indica Vista btw.

So, you can assume that for approx half the distance, you get good roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks