Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 15:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Thanks Kumar sir and addyhemmige

I am doing this route on Bike. I was in a dilema whether to visit kudremukh or not.Saw some pictures and decided to do it . But might skip it based on the progress made on that day.

Do you mean to say there is no direct route like this Hassan-halebidu-belur-Chikmagalur ????
If you are just going for the ride, I'd suggest you take Route 1.

Hassan-Chikmagalur is usually done via Belur. If you do not want to visit Halebid, you can go via Belur. If you want to visit Halebid, take the Hassan-Halebid-Belur-Chikmagalur road.

You can avoid Chikmagalur also, if you are going directly to Kudremukh. From Belur you can go directly to Mudigere and from there to Kottigehara. Turn right at Kottigehara to go to Kalasa/Horanadu/Kudremukh.

Quote:
Can you please let me know what are all the spots (Can avoid temples) in both the below options

Option – 1) :Chikmagalur – Horanadu-Kudhremukh – Agumbe

(Option – 2) :Chikmagalur – Agumbe (through Bhadra Wildlife Scantuary) –

From whatever I know - Kudremukh peak, Lakya dam, Agumbe sun set point in Route 1 and No Idea about the Route 2
You can visit Gangamoola (near Kudremukh), the birth place of Tunga, Bhadra & Nethravathi rivers, apart from the Kudremukh peak, Lakya dam etc. Other than these, there are only temples. In Agumbe, you can visit the Agumbe Rainforest Research Station (ARRS). This is the only place in India where research is carried on King Cobras.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
Chickmagalur-Mulayangiri 22-Chickmagalur 22-Aldur 20-Balehonnur 35-Koppa 40-Sringeri 40-Hariharapura 20-Agumbe 30, totaling 229 kms
Quote:
Chickmagalur-Mulayangiri 22-Chickmagalur 22-Aldur 20-Balehonnur 35-Koppa 40-Sringeri 40-Hariharapura 20-Agumbe 30, totaling 229 kms
@hvkumar,
That route you have mentioned is quite longer. No need of visiting Koppa to visit Sringeri
The route is as follows
CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-JAYAPURA-SRINGERI-AGUMBE.
Approx distance is 130kms
Old 14th December 2009, 16:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@hvkumar,
That route you have mentioned is quite longer. No need of visiting Koppa to visit Sringeri
The route is as follows
CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-JAYAPURA-SRINGERI-AGUMBE.
Approx distance is 130kms
I agree, I went back to some old trip notes-a mobike trip made in 1988!

Route is as follows:
Chickmagalur-Aldur 20-Balehonnur 35-Jayapura 15-Sringeri 22-Hariharapura 20-Agumbe 30, totalling 140 kms
Old 1st October 2014, 14:15   #49
BHPian

Itinerary help for Agumbe - Kudremukh - Chichmanglur

Hello guys,

I need some help from the experts here on planning an itinerary for a small south India ride.

I am from Mumbai and I will be riding to my native place - Goa sometime this October. My wife will accompany me on this ride as pillion. I am thinking covering few places down south from Goa during this trip. Upon discussion with my friends from south India Ananth TE and Phanikar Hp I have shortlisted below destination and I need help in planning the exact itinerary, stay options, fuel availability, road conditions etc.

From Goa I plan to cover following places:

Goa - Gokarna - Murudeshwar - Maravanthe beach - Agumbe - Sringeri - Kudremukh - Chickmanglur - <Return Leg starts from here> - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Sagar - Jog falls - Honnavar - Goa.

Day 1: Start from Goa. Visit Gokarna - Murudeshwar and stop over at Maravanathe beach.

Query :
Is it worth a stay at Maravanthe beach?
Are there good stay options available?
Through out the journey we will prefer decent budget stay options and not expensive resorts.

Day 2: Start from Maravanthe beach. Maravanthe - Halady - Agumbe.

Query :
Any place we can visit on the way to Agumbe?
Which is the more scenic route to Agumbe?
I have been suggested by my friends that there are not many good options to stay at Agumbe and should consider staying at Sringeri. Any stay options you can suggest? What are the places to visit around Agumbe?

Day 3: I am not sure what are the places to visit Agumbe but if there are plenty of places to visit then will stay back there for Day 3.

Day 4: Agumbe - Sringeri - Kudremukh - Chickmanglur.

Query :
I guess there is a famous temple at Sringeri that we can visit on the way. Can someone confirm this?
Visiting Kudremukh en route Chickmanglur is fine or does that place deserve a day's stop over? I guess we can cover this place on Day 3 during sight seeing.

Day 5: Chickmanglur sight seeing.

Day 6: Chickmanglur - Bhadravati - Shimoga.

Query: What are the places of interest on this route? Are there stay options at Shimoga?

Day 7: Shimoga - Sagar - Jog falls - Honnavar

Query: any stay options at Honnavar on the national highway?

Day 8: Honnavar - Goa.

Any additional information for this plan/alterations in itinerary is most welcome. This is just a rough chart and am not sure if am giving enough time to these places or may be spending unnecessary time at certain places. Kindly suggest.

Thank you all for your help in advance!

Ride safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route-map.jpg  

Old 1st October 2014, 15:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Itinerary help for Agumbe - Kudremukh - Chichmanglur

My answers inline

for stay i would suggest something like
day 1: Either gokarna,murudeshwar or come all the way till kundapur
day 2 & 3: Chikmaglur
Day 4: shimoga
Day 5 Honnavar

But if you have the time, then few things i can suggest are
1. Belur and halebid - Near to Chickmaglur, known for the temple ruins and architecture.
2. If you are going to kudremukh route, you can as well plan agumbe - karkala(has the jain god mahaveer statue) - moodbidre ( has jain monastery) and then proceed to Kudremukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 View Post
Hello guys,

I need some help from the experts here on planning an itinerary for a small south India ride.

I am from Mumbai and I will be riding to my native place - Goa sometime this October. My wife will accompany me on this ride as pillion. I am thinking covering few places down south from Goa during this trip. Upon discussion with my friends from south India Ananth TE and Phanikar Hp I have shortlisted below destination and I need help in planning the exact itinerary, stay options, fuel availability, road conditions etc.

From Goa I plan to cover following places:

Goa - Gokarna - Murudeshwar - Maravanthe beach - Agumbe - Sringeri - Kudremukh - Chickmanglur - <Return Leg starts from here> - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Sagar - Jog falls - Honnavar - Goa.

Day 1: Start from Goa. Visit Gokarna - Murudeshwar and stop over at Maravanathe beach.

Query :
Is it worth a stay at Maravanthe beach?
Are there good stay options available?
Through out the journey we will prefer decent budget stay options and not expensive resorts.
Maravanthe is just a stretch of land. you can enjoy the view and move on. you can get accomodation in near by Kundapur. If you like Nonveg, you can try the famous Shetty lunch home for the Chicken Ghee roast
Day 2: Start from Maravanthe beach. Maravanthe - Halady - Agumbe.

Query :
Any place we can visit on the way to Agumbe?
Which is the more scenic route to Agumbe?
I have been suggested by my friends that there are not many good options to stay at Agumbe and should consider staying at Sringeri. Any stay options you can suggest? What are the places to visit around Agumbe?
You can try to visit Seetha nadi camp. They even conduct small rafting sessions, but in october, i guess water levels will be pretty low. It was getting upgraded to jungle lodges when i last went there. This would be just before Agumbe ghat, on the foothills

Agumbe is again not developed, its just a ghat section and has one view point. You wont even find anything more than basic eating joints there. Venturing into the jungles requires prior permission. I have never stayed in Sringeri, so no idea. Near by towns are Koppa or Balehonnur.

Day 3: I am not sure what are the places to visit Agumbe but if there are plenty of places to visit then will stay back there for Day 3.
Do not stay in Agumbe. I doubt you can spend more than an hour in Agumbe. You can cover Agumbe, Sringeri and camp in Chickmanglur.
Day 4: Agumbe - Sringeri - Kudremukh - Chickmanglur.

Query :
I guess there is a famous temple at Sringeri that we can visit on the way. Can someone confirm this?
Agumbe and Kudremukh are not on same route. Typically its either Agumbe or Kuduremukh route that people take. I would say Kuduremukh side is more beautiful. Sringeri is famous for Sharada temple. Saraswati, goddess of education. Pretty old and good temple
Visiting Kudremukh en route Chickmanglur is fine or does that place deserve a day's stop over? I guess we can cover this place on Day 3 during sight seeing.
If you are a temple person, You can visit Horanadu from Kuduremukh. There are some home stays in Kalasa area too.
Day 5: Chickmanglur sight seeing.
You would need this day. If you like trekking, plan Mulayana giri or baba budan giri
Day 6: Chickmanglur - Bhadravati - Shimoga.

Query: What are the places of interest on this route? Are there stay options at Shimoga?
There is an elephant camp in this area. Sakrebailu. around 30 mins from Shimoga on theerthahalli route. If you manage to reach early around 9 am, you can get to see elephant bathing. Other option is Gajanur dam. Theerthahalli to Shimoga route is very scenic. Also there is an area near elephant camp where lots of migratory birds arrive.you can make Shimoga as your base and roam Here is a link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akrebailu.html
Day 7: Shimoga - Sagar - Jog falls - Honnavar
I wonder if Jog falls will have water now. but its on your route, so do cover it. You can even plan a visit to the bhadra reservoir
Query: any stay options at Honnavar on the national highway?

Day 8: Honnavar - Goa.

Any additional information for this plan/alterations in itinerary is most welcome. This is just a rough chart and am not sure if am giving enough time to these places or may be spending unnecessary time at certain places. Kindly suggest.

Thank you all for your help in advance!

Ride safe!

Last edited by rajshenoy : 1st October 2014 at 15:28.
Old 1st October 2014, 18:06   #51
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need some help from the experts here on planning an itinerary for a small south India ride....
Some random tips based on your plan:
1.You can consider staying at Panduranga International right on NH17 at Kumta before you reach Honnavar when going from Goa.
2.For the Agumbe leg of the journey consider staying at Tirthahalli - Home stays like Kolavara Heritage or Bananki.
You can also visit places like Kuvempu's home/museum at Kuppalli, Bheemanakatte, Sibbalagudde (both by the banks of River Tunga),
Kundadri Hill (excellent views and also has a small Jain temple, you will enjoy the ride to the top of the hill! Also, Much better place for sunset views compared to sunset point at Agumbe).
3.At Shimoga there are good hotels - Jewel Rock, Royal Orchid are good.
On the Tirthahalli-Shimoga road you can visit Sakrebyle Elephant camp and Gajanur Dam.
4.Visit the Sharadambike temple complex at Sringeri, on the way back visit Sirimane Falls and enroute Kigga temple (it closes during 1-4pm I think).
5.The temples at Kalasa and Horanadu Annapoorneshwari are good too, try to visit.

Last edited by NPV : 1st October 2014 at 18:12.
Old 1st October 2014, 18:11   #52
BHPian

Visiting Gokarna takes almost 2 to 2.5 hrs. The road leading to Gokarna from the highway is almost hazardous for a 2 wheeler with lots of potholes. It was this way when I visited 2 months back, I don't expect it to be any better with the rainy season just finished. While at Gokarna, you can visit Om Beach as well, which is different from the Gokarna Beach which is close to the temple.

After visiting Gokarna, you can visit Mirjan Fort here. It is just off the NH17 highway about a km or so inside.

You can stay at Murudeshwar after your excursions on day 1. RNS Guest house has decent rooms for about 800-1000 a night. There are a couple of other accommodations that are owned by RNS group as well - RNS Residency, RNS Resorts etc. but are costlier. On day 2, you can start off by visiting the beach if you so like and indulge in speed boat rides.

Like @RajShenoy said, Maravanthe is just a stretch of land, you have to search for a place even if you want to have coffee apart from shacks on the roadside. Also, not to spook you, but I don't know how safe it is to park a two wheeler right by the side of the highway and go about wandering down the beach at Maravanthe. You can also visit Udupi and St. Mary's Island on Day 2 and rest for the night in Udupi.

On Day 3: Visit Agumbe and Sringeri and halt at Kudremukh or go directly to Kudremukh for the day.

Day 4: Sightseeing in and around Kudremukh

Day 5: Like @RajShenoy said, You can visit Belur and Halebeedu and reach Chikmagalur for the night.

From here on you can follow @Rajshenoy's itinerary.
Old 1st October 2014, 20:55   #53
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route

Thank you for all your inputs guys. Will make note of it and alter the itinerary accordingly.
Thanks again!
Old 6th October 2014, 10:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for all your inputs guys. Will make note of it and alter the itinerary accordingly.
Thanks again!
Please update on the Jog-Honnavar-Goa road condition . A friend of mine is interested in taking this road for his upcoming road trip
Old 19th November 2014, 00:06   #55

Quote:
Thanks again!
Hi Ketan,
How was your trip , do you have an update on the road conditions ?

Thanks in advance
Old 13th July 2015, 20:05   #56
BHPian

Hi

Anyone got recommendations on best places to have food on Kannur - Mangalore - Madgoa route please?

Any places with fresh/quality food is what we are looking for. Dhabas or small roadside hotels or any type of restaurants are okay. Its not a family trip

Cheers
Renjith
Old 13th July 2015, 22:58   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi

Anyone got recommendations on best places to have food on Kannur - Mangalore - Madgoa route please?

Any places with fresh/quality food is what we are looking for. Dhabas or small roadside hotels or any type of restaurants are okay. Its not a family trip

Cheers
Renjith
Hotel AMRUT in Karwar is the best! Must try are their prawns curry and Tiger Fish masala fry. Google maps will easily guide you.
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 08:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi

Cheers
Renjith

Try Shetty lunch home at Kundapur. Have their Chicken ghee roast (if you're non vegetarian that is) and their fish meals. Absolutely brilliant. You will not get ghee roast anywhere that tastes like theirs do. Get into the town and ask for this place, locals will easily guide you. It's a small town.

Cheers
Aniketh
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 10:55   #59

Hi,

This is my first post in the forum and thanks to the moderators.
I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore via Mangalore, Murudeshwar, Gokarna, Karwar route in the last week of December. Need inputs from people who have been recently on the route regarding the roads and possible places for breakfast, lunch etc.
Thanks
Prabir
Old 4th December 2015, 12:42   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_beer View Post
I am planning to travel to Goa from Bangalore via Mangalore, Murudeshwar, Gokarna, Karwar route in the last week of December.
If you don't have any plans to visit Mangalore, it can be avoided completely if going to Goa from Bangalore

For example you can take the Bangalore-Tumkur-Davanagere-Hubli bypass-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route OR via Dharwad too. Look up this thread for more options depending on where in Goa you are visiting - Link

On the return leg, you can go via Karwar to Gokarna and then to Murudeshwar and return to Bangalore via NH206 Honnavara-Jog-Shimoga-Tumkur-Bangalore or even Shimoga-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-Bangalore

Last edited by NPV : 4th December 2015 at 12:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks