Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:26   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Thanks guys will take Honnavar route, maybe with brief stop at jog falls also.

Coming back, i will drive straight from Baga to Bangalore, so that way Amboli-Hubli will make sense? or Karwar-Honnavar is better? Will i save time if i come through Amboli-Hubli ?
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:36   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Thanks guys will take Honnavar route, maybe with brief stop at jog falls also.

Coming back, i will drive straight from Baga to Bangalore, so that way Amboli-Hubli will make sense? or Karwar-Honnavar is better? Will i save time if i come through Amboli-Hubli ?
On your return drive,the easiest and fastest would be Baga-Karwar-Ankola(via nh17)-Left Turn onto NH63-Yellapur-Hubli-Join NH4 towards Bangalore.Excellent roads throughout.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:38   #1608
BHPian

Am planning to drive to Goa on wednesday starting from Bangalore. We are planning to take Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa.
Friends want to have a small break in KArwar. Is there anything worth watching in Karwar or any good beach there?
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:47   #1609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Am planning to drive to Goa on wednesday starting from Bangalore. We are planning to take Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa.
Friends want to have a small break in KArwar. Is there anything worth watching in Karwar or any good beach there?
The Devbagh Beach Resort of JLR.
Nice place. You have to park at their office below the Kali birdge. You need to get of the NH17 just before the bridge. (On your right while coming from Ankola).

They take you to their resort in a boat. You can spend some time there.
But you need to call them up and tell in advance that you would be coming there.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:55   #1610
BHPian

@ampere. Thanks for the suggestion. We had considered Devbagh. But then, guess it would need atleast 2-3hrs or so. By the way, is the naval base open to public?
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:00   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ampere. Thanks for the suggestion. We had considered Devbagh. But then, guess it would need atleast 2-3hrs or so. By the way, is the naval base open to public?
Naval Base is not open to the public for sure,there is the Lotus Resorts just after the Kali River Bridge,it is a kamat property.good rooms.You can stop in karwar after you climb down the ghats,the authorities have built some parks and sitting places onto your left where you can do a stroll.I am afraid nothing more there.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 11:06   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Me too driving down to Goa today evening. If you see a White Swift Ldi with Tbhp.com sticker just below the Swift emblem, with three dudes. Give a shout out.
Old 8th October 2011, 19:36   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Hi Guys, I will be driving to Goa this week, destination is Baga Beach. I will stay at shimoga a day and proceed to Goa. From shimoga which is the best route? Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Baga Or Shimoga-Hubli-Amboli-Baga ? I am seeing almost 80 kms more in Amboli route.

Google maps shows to take Kumta-Siddapur route, how is this road condition, if any travelled recently?
AVOID Honnavar road, it is craters all over the road, rather i should say road over craters.
Horrible roads from Sagar to Karwar via Honnavar. I took the road on Monday and came back yesterday through Ankola-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore.
Return route is too good and you can easily maintain good speeds. Took appx 12 hrs for 680kms with refuel, lunch, relatives visit enroute and Dinner.

Thanks to @asdon, for guiding me to Ankola Kamat Restaurant and suggesting to take Yellapur-Hubli road.

Last edited by rk_sans : 8th October 2011 at 19:39.
Old 8th October 2011, 22:33   #1614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Extremely sorry for the late response.
Naval base in not open for the public. In fact I have heard about a plan (not sure how true that is though) where they want to shift/re-plan NH17 from the navy establishment area.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:44   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
AVOID Honnavar road, it is craters all over the road, rather i should say road over craters.
Horrible roads from Sagar to Karwar via Honnavar. I took the road on Monday and came back yesterday through Ankola-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore.
Return route is too good and you can easily maintain good speeds. Took appx 12 hrs for 680kms with refuel, lunch, relatives visit enroute and Dinner.

Thanks to @asdon, for guiding me to Ankola Kamat Restaurant and suggesting to take Yellapur-Hubli road.
While going, i did take Jog falls - honnavar Route, Road was pretty bad from Jog Falls to 20 kms before Honnavar. Since only two of us were going in my city, it could take all the pothholes without scrapping any where. But we did get opurtunity to see Jog Falls.

And Road from Honnavar to Goa Border also had lot of potholes.

While coming back took, Karwar-Yellapura-Mundgod-Bankapura-Haveri-Chitradurga-Bangalore, took this route as suggested in my MapMyIndia, and avoided Hubli. Made it in 10 hours from Baga, 30 mins for petrol queue 30 mins for lunch.

Road between Yellapura to Haveri was good, and completely empty between very thick forest. Was a good experience . Saw Black africans here, had seen in discovery channels about Africans have settled in this forest long back. And also Tibetan refuge camp here with Buddhist temples.

For guys leaving Goa tomorrow, fill your petrol/diesel tank full before leaving. There is severe shortage in goa, I have to run around lot of petrol bunks which had no petrol. And finally after standing in queue for 30 mins, got through one bunk and got petrol near Margoa, there was no petrol in panaji. And ofcourse there wont be petrol station near any tourist places like caulaguate or Baga. Dont know why there is no petrol station near tourist place and petrol is sold at Rs 80 a bottle for bikes. Looks like big petrol mafia is behind this

While going, i had Masala Dosa at Kamat nearing to Tumkur. Food is horrible in Kamat these days, my wife was telling, and she was proved right. No Oil , dry dosa, could not just eat it. I swore myself never to return to these Kamats in highways.
Old 9th October 2011, 00:44   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
You may halt at Karwar city. There are good hotels, one of them is Hotel Premier. There is a Naval warship on Karwar beach for display which had taken part in Indo-Pak war. Boating is also present on the beach. Devbagh beach is approximately about 8Km from Karwar city. After crossing Kali bridge and descending towards toll fare gate, approximately 200m from the toll fare gate there is left turn towards Devbagh, Please note that the road is narrow but drivable. From Devbagh, you may continue towards Goa.

Have a nice drive.
Old 9th October 2011, 18:00   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Me too driving down to Goa today evening. If you see a White Swift Ldi with Tbhp.com sticker just below the Swift emblem, with three dudes. Give a shout out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Extremely sorry for the late response.
Naval base in not open for the public. In fact I have heard about a plan (not sure how true that is though) where they want to shift/re-plan NH17 from the navy establishment area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Have a nice drive.
Thanks for the response guys. Just back from Goa and dandeli. Seeing your messages now
@mac. Sorry mate. Didnt notice any cars with tbhp stickers in Goa. However saw a scorpio and an innova on NH4. Since I was in my friends car without a tbhp sticker, I didnt bother any of them.

For the benefit of members, I took tumkur-hubli-karwar-Panjim-calangute. The roads are good. No problem at all.

Panjim-ponda- anmod- dandeli. Roads are prettey decent with a few bad patches here and there.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:48   #1618
BHPian

Just back last night from Mangalore. Actually had used the main highway Bangalore, Tumkur, Hubli, Ankola, Karwar, Goa. This road is awesome! Just like the Bangalore, Hosur, Chennai highway.

However coming back from Goa, Karwar, and after the Goa border, there was no road. Heading towards Gokarna, Murudeshwar, Udupi and Mangalore, was the worst road I have ever driven on. Craters all over, no roads.

I was sad for a guy with a brand new Audi A6L who was going not more than 20km as he was touching everywhere! Not that I was able to go fast in my Octy too. I too scrapped the bottom many times and also bent one rim very badly. Noticed some oil leaks this morning under the front of the Octy. Will have to check that.

Will never take the Mangalore- Goa Route ever in my Octy. Will use the Defender 110 for that!

Just thought I must update TBHP guys on the road conditions.!
Old 10th October 2011, 20:26   #1619
BHPian

Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Tirupati

Hi,

I and my friends have decided a Tirupati Trip via Hubli/Bangalore on 12th Oct 2011. Kindly comment on the routeGoa to Tirumala, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
We have hired a Scorpio (Self Driving) for this trip

How is the road condition from Karwar to Hubli(NH63)?
Can any one suggest a good Hotel for night stay in Hubli? We are planing to leave at 4pm from office for the journey.

Any specific Sight seeing on the way from Goa to Bangalore route?
Old 11th October 2011, 01:11   #1620
BHPian

Re: Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Tirupati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Hi,

I and my friends have decided a Tirupati Trip via Hubli/Bangalore on 12th Oct 2011. Kindly comment on the routeGoa to Tirumala, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
We have hired a Scorpio (Self Driving) for this trip

How is the road condition from Karwar to Hubli(NH63)?
Can any one suggest a good Hotel for night stay in Hubli? We are planing to leave at 4pm from office for the journey.

Any specific Sight seeing on the way from Goa to Bangalore route?
From Karwar follow NH17 till Ankola T Junction and take left towards Yellapur(NH 63).NH 63 is in very good condition, but why do you want to touch bangalore? Follow NH4 till Sira, then take NH 234, via Chikballapur till Mulbagal, road condition is ok. From Mulbagal to Tirupati via Chittoor, here also road condition is ok/better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks