Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 13:04   #1756
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

The section near Ponda is full of mining trucks leading to traffic jams on both sides while SH 34 is under construction. It is not tarred and there is a lot of red dust as of Feb 2nd week. I was driving my SUV so had no issues but it would depend on GC of your vehicle.

Cheers
I agree, hence i took Amboli / Savantvadi route... which was 50+km extra from bangalore but roads are good.
Old 25th February 2012, 13:28   #1757
BHPian

Did the Goa run a week back, route is Bangalore-Bankapur-Mundagod-Yellapur-Karwar-Panaji. This was what I had planed and was skeptic about the Bankapur to Yellapur stretch, had taken Corolla and I did not regret, ended up saving about 40kms run, the road is single but no traffic and 50% is jungle. Anybody going to Goa entering from South Goa I suggest this shortcut. About 10kms is not so good on this road but not that your speed comes below 60km/hr, you can maintain about 70 - 80 kms/hr on this stretch.
Note: On this road is Mundagod which is a Tibettian settelment, which might look like a tourist spot but do not waste your time there, even the food is bad.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:41   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Came back from another Goa trip over the weekend. An update on the road conditions

Forward journey Via Hubli - Karwar

a) Bangalore - Hubli :- Pristine as usual except for five diversions - well siganged and maintained - between Tumkur and Chitradurga.

b) Hubli - Goa via Karwar :- Excellent condition through out. The ghat stretch in Yallapur is also asphalted and is in good condition

New restuarants spotted - Hotel Adityashree between Yallapur and NH 17. Looked good. Not tried. Also saw Hotel Tarang on this strtetch.

For all sea food lovers, dont miss Hotel Amrut in Karwar. A small deviation from Highway will take you to this place. We had lunch here and our sea food loving friends were very happy!!

Return Journey via Karwar - Honnavar - Jogfalls - Shivamogga (Since i had some work in Tirthahalli, i had to take this route)

a) Varca (Goa) - Karwar - Honnavar :- Excellent road. No worries

b) Honnavar - Jog falls :- Surprisingly excellent road. Lot of relaying on this stretch. Very few patches on the ghat. No big deal at all. The road is not broad at ghat and is like a single way. Need to be careful with oncoming trafic - though the traffic is vey less - at curves. We did Honnavar - Jog in one hour and fifteen minutes comfortably with a break for ten minutes at Sharavathi valley view point.

c) Jog - Shivamogga :- Excellent condition. Roads widened at many places. Pleaure to drive.

d) Shivamogga - Bangalore :- We did NH 206 via Arsikere. Road condition is excellent . Did Shivamogga - Bangalore (Tumkur road toll gate on NICE road ) - Shivamogga in four hours flat . Good news is that road widening activity on Banavara - Arsikere stretch is complete. The another surprise was the road within Tiptur town. It is relaid and excellent except for last 500 meters.

New restuarants spotted - Hotel Shri Pavitra close to Sagra bus stand.

Another well known option in Sagara for stay and eat is Hotel Varadashree.

It is a good option to come via this route as it will give an option to visit

a) Sharavathi valley

b) Jog falls - Though dry and trickle, it still presents an awesome sight

c) Very nice Lion and Tiger safari in Tyavarekoppa - part of Shettyhalli Wild life sanctuary -which is on Shivamogga - Sagara road ten KMS short fo Shivamogga.

Last edited by Fauji : 12th March 2012 at 11:00.
Fauji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 15:51   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

Forward journey Via Hubli - Karwar

a) Bangalore - Hubli
b) Hubli - Goa via Karwar

Return Journey via Karwar - Honnavar - Jogfalls - Shivamogga

a) Varca (Goa) - Karwar - Honnavar
b) Honnavar - Jog falls
c) Jog - Shivamogga
d) Shivamogga - Bangalore :- We did NH 206 via Arsikere.
Faujiji, What were the actual driving times (Goa-Bangalore) for both journeys? For someone who has no work in between (I am leaving this Friday morning), would you suggest only the Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Goa road?

Regards
Vijay
Old 12th March 2012, 16:02   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Faujiji, What were the actual driving times (Goa-Bangalore) for both journeys? For someone who has no work in between (I am leaving this Friday morning), would you suggest only the Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Goa road?

Regards
Vijay
Hi Vijay,

If you are planning to stay in South Goa it will take 8.30 hours including a break for 30 Mins if you are driving via Hubli - Karwar. If you are planning to stay in North Goa, add another hour and fifteen minutes to the driveing time.

Yes, the best route to Goa from Bangalore today is via Hubli - Karwar.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 18:12   #1761

Hello BHPians,

Going to Gokarna from Bangalore next weekend. I am planning to halt in Shimoga for the night and then continue onwards at dawn. Travelling in Alto K10 - 2 people. Needed inputs on the route to take after Shimoga:

1. turn right towards SH 48 and join SH 66 after Kumta or
2. continue on SH 69 from Mavingundi and join SH 66 at Honavar
3. Should traveling via Hubli be considered at all? In that case, would halt overnight at Hubli and travel via Ankola.

Not planning to go to Jog Falls at this time of the year.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:39   #1762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hi Vijay,

If you are planning to stay in South Goa it will take 8.30 hours including a break for 30 Mins if you are driving via Hubli - Karwar.
@Fauji.

What kind of average speed you assume here?
Because as per my calculations:

I think the total distance is about 650-700Km right?

- 450 km to Hubli
- 140 km to Ankola
- 100 km to Madgaon

- I would assume at least 6-7 hours to Hubli (Average of 70-75)
- Another 2.5 hours to Ankola and 2 hours there on to Madgaon.

I would easily put it more than 10 hours of drive time alone.
Unless one can gain time on the 4L to Hubli. Looks you gain time there by reaching in about 4-5 hours

(That translates to an average of more than 100).
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Add to it the break times.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:02   #1763
BHPian

I think you can do Hubli in 4.5 hrs, I regularly did Chitradurga in 3 hrs and Belgaum in 7 hrs.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th March 2012 at 08:45. Reason: Full quote not needed.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:11   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Fauji.

What kind of average speed you assume here?
Because as per my calculations:

I think the total distance is about 650-700Km right?

- 450 km to Hubli
- 140 km to Ankola
- 100 km to Madgaon

- I would assume at least 6-7 hours to Hubli (Average of 70-75)
- Another 2.5 hours to Ankola and 2 hours there on to Madgaon.

I would easily put it more than 10 hours of drive time alone.
Unless one can gain time on the 4L to Hubli. Looks you gain time there by reaching in about 4-5 hours

(That translates to an average of more than 100).
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Add to it the break times.
Hi Ampere,

You are correct. NH4 and driving in the morning helps.

We normally cover

a) Bangalore (NICE road bannerghatta Road Junction) to Chitradurga - 230 KMs - in 2.30 hrs

b) Chitradurga - Hubli :- 200 KMs - 2.45 mins with a break of 30 mins. This stretch is so good you can cover it quite fast.

c) Hubli - Karwar - 168 KMs - 2.15 hours

d) Karwar - Varca or any beach resort in South Goa - 72 KMs - 1.15 hrs.

I comfortably cruise at 120-130 KMPH on NH 4 - i don't go beyond 130 eventhough it is temting to especially between Ranebennur and Hubli with straight stretch of road - till Hubli and 90-100 on Hubli - Karwar stretch.

You will slow down a bit once you enter Goa and still can do 80-90 KMPH depending upon the time of travel.

Thanks to ban on mining, the road between Hubli till we reach NH 17 via Yallapur is a pleasure to drive.

For example, on Dec 30, we left our home on Bannerghatta road at 5.30 AM and we were in Agonda beach in South Goa at 2.45 PM with 45 Minutes break in between.
Old 13th March 2012, 07:52   #1765
Team-BHP Support

I recently did Goa via the Bangalore - Shimoga - Jog - Honnavar - Karwar - Goa highway. Take the NH-206 route all the way till you hit the west coast at Honnavar. From then on it is smooth sailing.

NH-206 is tarred up all the way from Bangalore till the coast. Anyone wishing to choose an alternate route other than Hubli route can take this approach. The roads are brilliant throughout and the scenery along Jog - Honnavar stretch is mind blowing. Distance-wise, its more or less same as the Hubli route.

These times were done in a Palio 1.6 GTX with lots of breaks for photos

Bangalore - Shimoga in 4 hours
Shimoga - Jog in 2 hours (assuming a stop at Jog)
Jog - Honnavar 1-1.5 hours (the ghat roads are good, not much traffic and not very steep in descent)
Honnavar - Goa in another 3 hours.

@byzantine - even if you don't visit Jog, the NH-206 is worth a try if you don't want the same old regular route

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th March 2012 at 08:01.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 08:01   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I recently did Goa via the Bangalore - Shimoga - Jog - Honnavar - Karwar - Goa highway. Take the NH-206 route all the way till you hit the west coast at Honnavar. From then on it is smooth sailing.

NH-206 is tarred up all the way from Bangalore till the coast. Anyone wishing to choose an alternate route other than Hubli route can take this approach. The roads are brilliant throughout and the scenery along Jog - Honnavar stretch is mind blowing. Distance-wise, its more or less same as the Hubli route.

These times were done in a Palio 1.6 GTX with lots of breaks for photos

Bangalore - Shimoga in 4 hours
Shimoga - Jog in 2 hours (assuming a stop at Jog)
Jog - Honnavar 1-1.5 hours (the ghat roads are good, not much traffic and not very steep in descent)
Honnavar - Goa in another 3 hours.
Doing that stretch in a 1.6 should be an experience. Guess they tarred in recently(~5 months back). I did this trip on my cycle and ghat roads were non existent.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 08:07   #1767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Doing that stretch in a 1.6 should be an experience. Guess they tarred in recently(~5 months back). I did this trip on my cycle and ghat roads were non existent.
I did this stretch just 10 days ago when we were supposed to go to Marvanathe beach, but our resort staff goofed up our bookings and denied that we had booked any rooms there. This was when we called for directions from Honnavar! and so we switched the destination to Goa at the last minute 90% of the road from Jog-Honnavar was tarred and ready for use. Another 10% was being tarred up when we drove through. That should also be ready by now.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:43   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzantine View Post
Hello BHPians,

Going to Gokarna from Bangalore next weekend. I am planning to halt in Shimoga for the night and then continue onwards at dawn. Travelling in Alto K10 - 2 people. Needed inputs on the route to take after Shimoga:

1. turn right towards SH 48 and join SH 66 after Kumta or
2. continue on SH 69 from Mavingundi and join SH 66 at Honavar
3. Should traveling via Hubli be considered at all? In that case, would halt overnight at Hubli and travel via Ankola.

Not planning to go to Jog Falls at this time of the year.

Thanks in advance.
You can reach Gokarna in one day with comfortable driving even if you are driving Alto. With K10, you will enjoy driving on these roads!!. I am not sure of SH 66 and 48 conditions. Having said that, just follow NH 206 till Honnavar and turn right towards Karwar. After Kumta you will see clear siganage for Gokarna which you will not miss. Distance wise, there is hardly iny difference at all.

See my post as well as Karthik's below. The road conditions are excellent. It does not get better anymore with hardly any traffic. Unless, you want to stay in Shimoga for valid reasons, there is no need to stay there.

You can definitely spend half hour in Jog falls - which is just three KMs off the highway - and ten minutes on the ghat at the view point to have a look at awesome Sharavathi valley.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 22:36   #1769
BHPian

Hello, fellow thpians

I am also planning a trip to goa from bangalore, but I am a bit confused about the route to take. I have two options:

1) From haveri towards bankapur then via mundgod to yellapur and all the way to karwar and goa.

2) From haveri, continue till hubli and then via mishrikot and kalghatgi to yellapur and all the way to karwar and goa.

Please note that I will be planning the trip on a bike with my fiancee so I want the roads to be safe and not very deserted. Planning to leave blore by 5am and reach calangute by 7pm
Old 13th March 2012, 23:44   #1770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
2) From haveri, continue till hubli and then via mishrikot and kalghatgi to yellapur and all the way to karwar and goa.

The standard answer is to just follow 4L all the way till Hubli (NH4 now being called NH48).

At Hubli by-pass you would see NH63 (I think now its called NH67).
Take that to Ankola via Yellapur and there on to Calangute on the Konkan highway.

Don't take any other route. This is the safest and the best possible option.

Most Viewed