Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:58   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi,

The Blr-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Honnawar-Karwar-Goa is the shortest route of all Blr-Goa routes. I am planning to go to Goa next week. Based on the postings I feel I should take this route to save time.

Do you guys recommend that route for traveling in Maruti Estilo?

I have travelled on this route 3-4 time in past in Santro, but that was PAST . Current road conditions will make a big impact.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:42   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi,

The Blr-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Honnawar-Karwar-Goa is the shortest route of all Blr-Goa routes. I am planning to go to Goa next week. Based on the postings I feel I should take this route to save time.

Do you guys recommend that route for traveling in Maruti Estilo?

I have travelled on this route 3-4 time in past in Santro, but that was PAST . Current road conditions will make a big impact.
Agreed it is shorter by 70 KMs. The road condition is excellent till Jog falls. Beyond that till Honnavar, the road is good except for patches which might have increased after spell of summer rains. Honnavar to Goa is again excellent.

But it is the comfort of driving on 4 lane NH 4 till Hubli and then hardly -any - traffic stretch till Karwar which helps pick up speed which makes this route easier.

You can comfortbaly travel in Estillo. I dont see any risks.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:15   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
If you are going to Panaji, i would also recommend you to go via Belgaum - Amboli - Savantvadi as well.

You can actually go by one route and come by the other.
That is exactly what I have planned, the return will be through Sawantwadi-Belgaum: Goa R2 - Google Maps
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:43   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Agreed it is shorter by 70 KMs. The road condition is excellent till Jog falls. Beyond that till Honnavar, the road is good except for patches which might have increased after spell of summer rains. Honnavar to Goa is again excellent.

But it is the comfort of driving on 4 lane NH 4 till Hubli and then hardly -any - traffic stretch till Karwar which helps pick up speed which makes this route easier.

You can comfortbaly travel in Estillo. I dont see any risks.
Is the comfort factor so much that we can travel 70+ kms extra ? For my style of driving 70 km would mean about an hours driving, or is the road so good that we can cover up that extra one hour ?

I read somewhere that Shimoga to honnavar road is freshly laid, so tempted to take this route to Goa to save 50-60kms.. confused
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:46   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
That is exactly what I have planned, the return will be through Sawantwadi-Belgaum: Goa R2 - Google Maps
Take alook at the TLs written by me and Karthik. This will help you not to miss any places on the way.

Karthik - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lio-1-6-a.html

Me - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nny-sands.html

Last edited by Fauji : 3rd May 2012 at 20:48.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:48   #1866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Is the comfort factor so much that we can travel 70+ kms extra ? For my style of driving 70 km would mean about an hours driving, or is the road so good that we can cover up that extra one hour ?

I read somewhere that Shimoga to honnavar road is freshly laid, so tempted to take this route to Goa to save 50-60kms.. confused
I think the timing will still be same if not can be higher. Thats because you do 450Km on 4L. That means you average easily around 60-70
and in 5-6 hours would be beyond Hubli.

You may not be able to arrive at such averages on the Shimoga sector. Even though the roads are good, it still is a 2L road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:48   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the timing will still be same if not can be higher. Thats because you do 450Km on 4L. That means you average easily around 60-70
and in 5-6 hours would be beyond Hubli.

You may not be able to arrive at such averages on the Shimoga sector. Even though the roads are good, it still is a 2L road.
I feel the same.
4-lane driving quality is completely different so worth it even if the distance is significantly higher.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:55   #1868
BHPian

I am all set for Goa after 2 days on my Manza. Would be taking Shinoga, Honnawar, Karwar route. Travelogue will be coming soon. As this will be my first long trip with my small family, I need help from the regulars. What things shall I carry with me while on for a long trip. I mean essentials. Will help me in preparing a checklist of must haves. Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 18:18   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
What things shall I carry with me while on for a long trip. I mean essentials. Will help me in preparing a checklist of must haves. Thanks
I too will be doing Bangalore-Goa in a couple of days and here is my list for long beach-walks with family:
I plan to buy a back-pack to carry these:

.cash+coins+card
.camera
.water
.food: chocolates, biscuits
.mobiles
.car-key
.towels
.wet-bag
.pen+paper
.medical-kit
.hat
.sunglass
.mat
.floats
.torches
.umbrella
.tissue-papers
.maps+books
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 18:56   #1870
BHPian

THANKS a lot manim. I have missed out few items from this checklist. Will buy today.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:58   #1871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering
I am all set for Goa after 2 days on my Manza. Would be taking Shinoga, Honnawar, Karwar route
Hope you know how to get to Tumkur bypass. It has broken roads but it still is worth taking.

Immediately after the Tumkur toll plaza be on the left immediately and you will see a board for Shimoga.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:13   #1872
BHPian

Planning my first Bangalore – Goa drive this Saturday. Hope to start at 5:00 AM from HSR Layout – Objective is to take the Fastest route and given that I push my Cedia at 100+ on 4L highways, I guess should take Hubli – Yellapur – Ankola – Karwar route. Destination is in South Goa.

Please feedback that my route choice is correct. How much time should it take approximately?
Old 10th May 2012, 11:42   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Planning my first Bangalore – Goa drive this Saturday. Hope to start at 5:00 AM from HSR Layout – Objective is to take the Fastest route and given that I push my Cedia at 100+ on 4L highways, I guess should take Hubli – Yellapur – Ankola – Karwar route. Destination is in South Goa.

Please feedback that my route choice is correct. How much time should it take approximately?
That is the route which I took when we went from Chennai - Goa. The route is excellent all the way till Goa and I think for South Goa that is the best route you can take. While returning, we started from Goa at around 12PM and reached the outskirts of Bangalore (E-city) at around 2 AM with leisure stops of around an hour each for lunch and dinner and an unscheduled stop for a tyre puncture (45 mins). Hope this helps.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 12:23   #1874
BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Goa trip last week end. started on last Thursday early monring 3:30 and reached south Goa by 1:30 .
Took Bangalore -Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar -Goa route as suggested . Excellent roads through out .
Took the same route and started back on sunday afternoon @ 3:30 Pm from south goa and reached 3 am on monday back in Bangalore.
phani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 12:58   #1875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder
Planning my first Bangalore - Goa drive this Saturday. Hope to start at 5:00 AM from HSR Layout
Plan to start at 4am instead of 5am. That one hour head start really helps. You can get out of Hubli before the sun peaks up.

If you can make it to NICE road Hosur road entry by 4:15am you would be out of Hubli by 10 even with a half an hour break.
I would recommend the Kamat at Ranebennur. That makes a good breakpoint. You would have covered 350km by then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks