Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:51   #1981
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I did Sankeshwar-Gandhilaj-Ajra-Amboli-Banda-Panjim last week, except for the first few km from Sankeshwar rest is great tarmac with twisty turning road. Amboli ghat is pretty good too.

If you want to cover Jog/Magod, you could do Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Sirsi-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa. Mavinigundi-Sirsi and Sirsi-Yellapur are in great shape. Tumkur-Jog is also in great shape, I did in night on my first time and it was pretty easy to do. Jog gets pretty crowded if you are going on a weekend day, on Sunday it took me an hour to get out (~ 1 km distance).

Only if you are doing Yana, In Sirsi-Kumta ghat section is pretty bad but manageable if you take it slow and few odd potholes. As I said earlier there are bad sections on NH17 from Kumta-Gokarna after that it is smooth tarmac.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 23:24   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks for your response. I'll probably travel through Amboli. The below post is giving me some confidence.

Thanks to motomaverick for the above post!

One question to all guys. Is Dudhsagar and briving back to Bangalore possible in the same day? Or is it not advisable at this time of the year? Obviously, we do not have time for a trek or train.
You cant do Dudhsagar and drive back to Blore the same day, as you either need to trek or take jeeps to the falls. Plus not sure how the route is to the falls now.

Though Goa we didn't face much rains but near the border areas it is raining. You can take the Amboli section which you wont regret. You can start from North Goa (if you are staying there) at around 10.30am, will reach by 1.30pm or so to amboli, have lunch at Vitals Kamat (really good and fresh veg food).

To further encourage you here is a pic from Amboli
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goafamilytrip201277.jpg
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 17:33   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, what's the most scenic route from Goa to Bangalore, keeping in mind that I travel in my new Ritz which has run < 3000kms? I'm starting from Panjim early morning. So I have the whole day.

I had Dudhsagar Falls in mind, but feel the trek will not be possible in a single day. Or will it?

This will be during September 1st week.

Thanks!
If you are still contemplating about the route, you can go with what "ethanhunt123" has suggested, Route 1, Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa and on the return your Ritz can comfortably do "Goa-Ponda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Hubli-Bangalore" route, barring 2-3 kilometres on Karnataka side of the border, the other stretches are fine and absolutely picturesque .

Regards,
Swifdeep
Swifdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 18:50   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
If you are still contemplating about the route, you can go with what "ethanhunt123" has suggested, Route 1, Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa and on the return your Ritz can comfortably do "Goa-Ponda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Hubli-Bangalore" route, barring 2-3 kilometres on Karnataka side of the border, the other stretches are fine and absolutely picturesque .

Regards,
Swifdeep
While the Ritz can do Ponda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Hubli, i would not recomment it. Once you enter in Karnataka, road is good in patches only - lots of potholes come out of nowhere breaking the speed. Rather doing Amboli ghat is better as the roads are much better & its more beautiful as well.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 22:20   #1985
BHPian

Route Query

Can someone please help me with a route suggestion on Goa to Bangalore.
I reached Goa yesterday following the route suggested by experts here (Blr - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar) and had a very good drive. There were a few rough patches on the ghats but nothing too annoying.

I am staying near Colva and on the return trip on 30-8-12 I would like to visit Tambdi Surla Temple. Route suggested by Google is Tambdi Surla - Nandgad - Bidi - NH 4 (near Kittur). My drive is a Fabia and I am with family, so in the above context please guide me on the (in)appropriateness of the route.

Thanks in advance.
Shyam
Old 4th September 2012, 23:13   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the Route here!

On the way to Goa, I took this route: Bangalore -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa. The road is good all the way till Panjim, apart from very few bad stretches on NH63. On NH4, between Tumkur and Hiriyur, there are quite a few 'diversions'. But the service roads are of decent quality, apart from the humps.

On the way back, I took this route: Goa -> Sawantwadi -> Amboli -> Belgaum -> Bangalore. Amboli Ghat is really very beautiful and highly recommended in this season. There are a LOT of waterfalls. If you are the nature kinda guy, you can spend an entire day here. Maharashtra SH-121 connects Sawantwadi (NH17) and Belgaum (NH4). The road has some bad stretches but nothing that any passenger cannot take. I'd say, if you haven't seen Amboli ghat before, please take this route once during monsoon.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:53   #1987
BHPian

Friends,
I am heading to Cavelossim beach in Goa on morning of 15th Sept. What would be the best route to reach Cavelossim from Karwar onwards?

I am contemplating between these two routes:

1. Karwar- Madgaon and then take left before we hit colva to take the road to Cavelossim .
2. Other option is to take the ghat road to Cavelossim from Paloleum and them cross the ferry over Mabor to Cavelossim.

The second option is scenic and interesting. I have travelled on this ghat route twice on bicycle and motorbike.
But this time I would travelling with family so taking my Safari with me. For those who are familiar with the area, would you know whether the Ferry can take the 3 ton Safari on it? I remember a maruti 800 crossing over on ferry when I was there.. But not sure about a Safari which is three times the M800 weight.
- Is the ferry operational at this time of the year?
- Normally what the timing of the last ferry?

- Last but not least, is there a place in Goa where we can get good organic food and groceries?

Thanks,
JP

Last edited by recker_us : 6th September 2012 at 15:56.
Old 7th September 2012, 13:13   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
- Last but not least, is there a place in Goa where we can get good organic food and groceries?
You might want to check Ambrosia Organic Farms.IIRC,the farm is some place near Amboli but they do have an office at this address.Supplies to many restaurants in Goa are done by this person.Got details from a friend.

House No. 601,
Near Baga Bridge
Baga Beach - 403 516
India
Phone-(91)-(832)-2279847
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 19:10   #1989
BHPian

Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur, bye-passing Hubli

Returned via Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur, bye-passing Hubli.
Very bad roads (car was Honda City).

Some photos:
1. Narrow roads, but surface was good at start
2. Monastery
3. Bad roads start
4. An accident waiting to happen!
5. No roads!
6. Finally the nightmare ends, the 4-lane at Bankapur!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-01.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-02.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-03.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-04.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-05.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-06.jpg  

manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 11:16   #1990
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of driving to Goa on Sep 29th. Which is the fastest route to North Goa?
Old 18th September 2012, 11:21   #1991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I am thinking of driving to Goa on Sep 29th. Which is the fastest route to North Goa?
Hubli Belgaum Amboli is the fastest to North Goa. Be sure to start by 3 or 4AM. That works very well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 11:25   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hubli Belgaum Amboli is the fastest to North Goa. Be sure to start by 3 or 4AM. That works very well.
Thanks Ampere.

I would be able to start only by 4:30 AM since I am travelling with my daughter. is the route straight forward? What time can I expect to reach Goa?

Any recommended places for accommodation? Budget 2 - 3 K per night.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:43   #1993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.
I would be able to start only by 4:30 AM since I am travelling with my daughter. is the route straight forward? What time can I expect to reach Goa?
North Goa I am not sure about accommodation. Ranjit is the man to ask !
When you start at 4:30 (assuming you are NICE road at 5 AM), you should be at Ranebennur by about 9AM (about 350Km).
Early morning you can easily achieve an average of 80-90 even at sedate speeds. Be aware of diversion on the GQ till
Chitradurga.

Ranebennur to Belgaum should about 2.5 3 hours (210km)

Belgaum to Amboli should be about 1 to 1.5 hours (60km)
Amboli to Panaji is another 100km.

I would say account for about 11-12 hours with BF and lunch breaks.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 12:26   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
North Goa I am not sure about accommodation. Ranjit is the man to ask !
When you start at 4:30 (assuming you are NICE road at 5 AM), you should be at Ranebennur by about 9AM (about 350Km).
Early morning you can easily achieve an average of 80-90 even at sedate speeds. Be aware of diversion on the GQ till
Chitradurga.

Ranebennur to Belgaum should about 2.5 3 hours (210km)

Belgaum to Amboli should be about 1 to 1.5 hours (60km)
Amboli to Panaji is another 100km.

I would say account for about 11-12 hours with BF and lunch breaks.
Just to add to Ampere's reccomendations,Amboli can get mighty crowded thanks to the people who just park their cars bang in the middle of the roads and get down to enjoy the waterfalls and the vada paav and bhajji guys dont help the cause either.Belgaum-Amboli has some bad stretches after the recent monsoons,but nothing terrible.

Amboli-Sawantwadi is good.Take the Sawantwadi route and do not go via Banda since this is your first time.Sawantwadi-Mapusa would take about 2hrs thanks to road widening at border,heavy NH17 traffic.

Also you could do a circle,while going you could take Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa and while returning,you could take the other way out ie Mapusa-Panjim-Madgaon-Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-NH4 to BLR.This way you dont have to retrace your routes and plus you can tank up fuel at Madgaon!

Map is attached for your reference:

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Bear in mind not to cut lanes once you cross into Goa and also not to go above prescribed speed limits.Goa Traffic Police is very strict and enforce it to the T.Do not cut lanes where the thick white line is marked on the road.Shall send you a couple of options shortly.

PS:Bad time to go to goa-long weekend-Gandhi Jayanti / Ganpati Visarjan around the 29th afaik(Goa would be packed and North Goa all the more
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 15:35   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking to stay in Panjim, Ginger is a great option. They have a very good in house restaurant as well. When I booked it came to 1600-1700/day for 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just to add to Ampere's reccomendations,Amboli can get mighty crowded thanks to the people who just park their cars bang in the middle of the roads and get down to enjoy the waterfalls and the vada paav and bhajji guys dont help the cause either.Belgaum-Amboli has some bad stretches after the recent monsoons,but nothing terrible.

Amboli-Sawantwadi is good.Take the Sawantwadi route and do not go via Banda since this is your first time.Sawantwadi-Mapusa would take about 2hrs thanks to road widening at border,heavy NH17 traffic.
I went during Aug 15-20, took Sankeshwar-Amboli though. Roads were in great shape then, given the fact that its almost the end of SW monsoon season.

Except for the small ghat section where roads are a bit broken due to landslides. There's absolutely nothing to worry about. Infact the ghat wasn't even bad or challenging I expected it to be

I took the Banda shortcut, except for couple of section, it wasn't that bad. But its narrower than the Sawantwadi route. There was no road widening happening a month back, is there anything happening since then?
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks