Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 12:38   #1966
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
If you are planning to stay in North Goa, then plan to come via Amboli, Sawantvadi and Belgaum. It will be fantastic when it rains and you will virtually drive under canopy of water falls. We drove once in 2009 and i can't forget the experience. Since you are planning to come via Belgaum, see if you can take a detour of 30 KMs to Gokak Falls which will be glorious now.

Amboli is not that prone for landslides. Still you can check the road condition before start from the locals.

I don't advise options 1 and 2 as they are all in mining zones.
Thanks Fauji for the quick answer. I thought the first routes might be in mining area but since they were shorter was considering them. When you say check with locals you mean the Taxi folks in Goa would be able to know about the current road conditions.

Anyhow, I hope the Amboli route isnt that potholed ridden since I will be going in a Sedan, though Tata claims 180mm clearance, I dont know where they measured it
Old 9th August 2012, 12:54   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks Fauji for the quick answer. I thought the first routes might be in mining area but since they were shorter was considering them. When you say check with locals you mean the Taxi folks in Goa would be able to know about the current road conditions.

Anyhow, I hope the Amboli route isnt that potholed ridden since I will be going in a Sedan, though Tata claims 180mm clearance, I dont know where they measured it
Yes, Taxi guys as well local newspapers will give you information if there are any landslides or roadblocks. You can also check with your hotel staff who can help as well.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:00   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Am planning on Amboli, but if there are landslides, what would be the next alternative scenic route to reach Panjim? Am not planning on Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola, I've already done it and would be doing partially on return. Plan for that day is enjoy nature and reach Panjim afternoon-ish.

I'd be staying in Hubli previous night.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:32   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Am planning on Amboli, but if there are landslides, what would be the next alternative scenic route to reach Panjim?
I think the amboli ghat is still okay at the moment
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2865214

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 9th August 2012 at 15:33.
Old 13th August 2012, 20:04   #1970
Senior - BHPian

I will be hitting Goa this coming weekend from Karwar side - considering the difference in Petrol prices between Karnataka & Goa - i would like to tank up in Goa as much as possible.

So which is the first pump on the Goa side ? I mean how far from Karwar ?
Old 13th August 2012, 20:51   #1971
BHPian

Did Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-North Goa & returned via Ponda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Belgaum-Hubli-Blr during mid July. The roads were good overall. During return journey, the Anmod ghats were an absolute treat (to drive and view), you can just spend hours there doing nothing. This route may be about 30 - 40 kms longer, but its worth driving through. Yes, about 5kms of the Anmod ghats had potholes, but you can still get through in 2nd & 3rd gears. I did this in the new swift.
Old 14th August 2012, 23:13   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Did Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-North Goa & returned via Ponda-Anmod-Ramnagar-Belgaum-Hubli-Blr during mid July. The roads were good overall. During return journey, the Anmod ghats were an absolute treat (to drive and view), you can just spend hours there doing nothing. This route may be about 30 - 40 kms longer, but its worth driving through. Yes, about 5kms of the Anmod ghats had potholes, but you can still get through in 2nd & 3rd gears. I did this in the new swift.
Quick question why did you go back up to Belgaum and then again down towards hubli? U didn't go straight to Dharwad via Alnawar?
Old 14th August 2012, 23:32   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Quick question why did you go back up to Belgaum and then again down towards hubli? U didn't go straight to Dharwad via Alnawar?
I had to drop a friend at Belgaum and then drive back.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:46   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I will be hitting Goa this coming weekend from Karwar side - considering the difference in Petrol prices between Karnataka & Goa - i would like to tank up in Goa as much as possible.

So which is the first pump on the Goa side ? I mean how far from Karwar ?
There is one immediately after the checkpost on the right when going towards Goa. However whenever I have crossed, only diesel was avail here.

There is one around 12 kms, little before Polem village center.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:13   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep
I had to drop a friend at Belgaum and then drive back.
Ah ok, so would you be aware on the road condition from Ramnagar towards Dharwad?
Old 21st August 2012, 13:58   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah ok, so would you be aware on the road condition from Ramnagar towards Dharwad?
Drove from Bangalore to Goa

Bangalore - Goa
Route: Bangalore - Shimoga - Karwar - Candolim
Total Driving Time: 12hrs
  • Road Condition from Bangalore to Sagar is pretty good, the highway has new tar at most of the broken portions and the Tumkur & Shimoga bypass is also not bad.
  • Road condition in the ghats are bad from Jog falls upto Honnavar, you will observe quite a few craters filled with water.
  • Honnavar to Ankola NH17 is broken at quite a few places and also sudden potholes.
  • Ankola to Goa is again great

Goa - Bangalore
Route: Candolim - Banda - Amboli - Belgaum - Tumkur - Bangalore
  • Candolim to Banda roads are really great especially on the Goa side. We actually were planning to get to Sawantwadi and then take the SH121 but there was some accident 9kms before Sawantwadi so had to turn back and take a interrior village road that joined the SH121. This road was in shambles and empty, thankfully one Wagon R was there to keep company or maybe it was the other way round as they let us overtake them
  • SH121 is great till Amboli and then beyond almost upto Belgaum. Amboli was really mesmerizing with a line of waterfalls, mist and the valley.
  • Road is bad about 20kms before Belgaum but its managable.
  • Belgaum onwards its the NH4 express, but beware after Harihar there are constant diversions as they seem to be making some flyovers. I think about 5 diversions right upto Tumkur.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:52   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what's the most scenic route from Goa to Bangalore, keeping in mind that I travel in my new Ritz which has run < 3000kms? I'm starting from Panjim early morning. So I have the whole day.

I had Dudhsagar Falls in mind, but feel the trek will not be possible in a single day. Or will it?

This will be during September 1st week.

Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:45   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Guys, what's the most scenic route from Goa to Bangalore, keeping in mind that I travel in my new Ritz which has run < 3000kms? I'm starting from Panjim early morning. So I have the whole day.

I had Dudhsagar Falls in mind, but feel the trek will not be possible in a single day. Or will it?
Depends on what you want to cover ? and where you want to go (Jog, Magod, Amboli) ? North or South Goa ?

One thing I can tell is avoid Honnavar-Ankola like plague. NH17 south of Gokarna turnoff was pathetic. I drove only till Kumta, other reports aren't encouraging as well.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:01   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Depends on what you want to cover ? and where you want to go (Jog, Magod, Amboli) ? North or South Goa ?

One thing I can tell is avoid Honnavar-Ankola like plague. NH17 south of Gokarna turnoff was pathetic. I drove only till Kumta, other reports aren't encouraging as well.
Thanks for your response. I'll probably travel through Amboli. The below post is giving me some confidence.
Quote:
Goa - Bangalore
Route: Candolim - Banda - Amboli - Belgaum - Tumkur - Bangalore
  • Candolim to Banda roads are really great especially on the Goa side. We actually were planning to get to Sawantwadi and then take the SH121 but there was some accident 9kms before Sawantwadi so had to turn back and take a interrior village road that joined the SH121. This road was in shambles and empty, thankfully one Wagon R was there to keep company or maybe it was the other way round as they let us overtake them
  • SH121 is great till Amboli and then beyond almost upto Belgaum. Amboli was really mesmerizing with a line of waterfalls, mist and the valley.
  • Road is bad about 20kms before Belgaum but its managable.
  • Belgaum onwards its the NH4 express, but beware after Harihar there are constant diversions as they seem to be making some flyovers. I think about 5 diversions right upto Tumkur.
Thanks to motomaverick for the above post!

One question to all guys. Is Dudhsagar and briving back to Bangalore possible in the same day? Or is it not advisable at this time of the year? Obviously, we do not have time for a trek or train.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 22nd August 2012 at 15:02.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:39   #1980
Senior - BHPian

I drove down to Goa last weekend and here are my thoughts -

1. Blr-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Madgoan

Awesome roads throughout. Can easily maintain 120+ in the 4 laned roads. After Hubli, it becomes a 2 lane State Highway which is actually 2.5 lane in width and freshly tarred. So you can go 100+ here as well. Even ghat sections are in very good shape with hardly any potholes. You can cover Blr-Madgaon easily in 9-10 hours in your Ritz without breaking a sweat.

2. Madgaon-Ponda-Mulem-Londa-Dharwad-Hubli-Blr

More picturesque router than 1. Madgoan-Londa route is good. After Londa, the condition starts deterioting slightly but still decent. After crossing into Karnataka, road condition starts worsening slowly. You cant go more than 50-60 for hardly 1 km as loads of potholes. But the route is definitely more beautiful than route 1. It took us 4.5 hours from Madgaon to Dharwad in this route. Dharwad-Blr is again the GQ so pretty good.

If one has time and patience - i would recommend route 2. However route 1 is definitely faster and easier on the car. Amboli-Sawantwadi route is also very good if you are in North Goa.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks