Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 15:38   #1996
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hello,

I am planning to go to Goa (South, Colva Beach )this weekend.
After reading through the informative threads here (thanks a lot :-) !!) , the route I have planned from Bangalore is Goa is:

NH4: Bangalore --> Tumkur --> Hiriyur --> Chitradurga --> Davangere (bypass) --> Harihar (Byepass ?) --> Ranebennur --> Haveri (Bypass) --> Hubli (Bypass)
--> then NH67/63 --> Yellapur --> Ankola --> then NH 66 towards Karwar and Goa.

Query 1: Google Maps shows me big deviation at Chitradurga. A left turn towards SH48 and then turn right back towards NH4. This seems to be quite unnecessary to me. Is this some sort of a bypass?
See the map here:
http://goo.gl/maps/0E7eS

Query 2: How to identify the left (towards west) turn before Hubli to get into the Hubli Bypass? Is this well-marked with directions?

On the return, I plan to stay overnight at Jog Falls.

Can I stick to the Google map suggested here - NH66 till (just before??) Kumta, then a left turn to SH48 ? How are the road conditions here?

http://goo.gl/maps/7Sox9

Any other tips would be great. Wish me luck :-) !!
Old 19th September 2012, 17:36   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Hello,

After reading through the informative threads here (thanks a lot :-) !!) , the route I have planned from Bangalore is Goa is:

NH4: Bangalore --> Tumkur --> Hiriyur --> Chitradurga --> Davangere (bypass) --> Harihar (Byepass ?) --> Ranebennur --> Haveri (Bypass) --> Hubli (Bypass)

Query 1: Google Maps shows me big deviation at Chitradurga. A left turn towards SH48 and then turn right back towards NH4. This seems to be quite unnecessary to me. Is this some sort of a bypass?
See the map here:

Query 2: How to identify the left (towards west) turn before Hubli to get into the Hubli Bypass? Is this well-marked with directions?
Just stick to the NH4 till Hubli and continue on the bypass towards Belgaum(follow directions for Belgaum) and the NH63 is marked as a diversion to the left from the NH4 bypass.Roads are easy to spot nothing to worry
Old 19th September 2012, 18:09   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

See the map here:

Can I stick to the Google map suggested here - NH66 till (just before??) Kumta, then a left turn to SH48 ? How are the road conditions here?

Take the NH4 out of Bangalore all the way till Hubli. Watch out for deviations on the highway due to road widening work till Chitradurga. There is no big deviation at Chitradurga.

At Hubli, go past the toll gate (Hubli-Dharwad Bypass) towards Dharwad and after about 2kms take a left towards Karwar Road. Road conditions from Hubli to Karwar is great with few rough patches (Loose stones) about 20kms after Yellapur at turns caused by heavy trucks.

On your return journey, take the coastal highway (NH17) till Honnavar and deviate towards Shimoga. En-route you get Jog Falls. Good road conditions all the way till Bangalore. Bad patches for a 5-6kms after Jog Falls towards Sagara.

No good options to stay overnight at Jog Falls. Either look for options at Sagara (30kms from Jog Falls) or Shimoga town (110kms from Jog Falls). Avoid visiting Jog falls during weekends (very crowded).
Old 19th September 2012, 18:20   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

See the map here:

For stay on your return the only good options are at Shimoga (Hotel Jewel Rock and Royal Orchid)
Old 19th September 2012, 20:10   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Take the NH4 out of Bangalore all the way till Hubli. Watch out for deviations on the highway due to road widening work till Chitradurga. There is no big deviation at Chitradurga.

On your return journey, take the coastal highway (NH17) till Honnavar and deviate towards Shimoga. En-route you get Jog Falls. Good road conditions all the way till Bangalore. Bad patches for a 5-6kms after Jog Falls towards Sagara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For stay on your return the only good options are at Shimoga (Hotel Jewel Rock and Royal Orchid)
Thank you dreamdiesel, and ranjitp1.

This is the deviation at Chitradurga I was talking about. See attachment. It seems rather pointless to me unless, NH4 is "one-way" for some distance.

On the way back, I have booked at KSTDC Hotel Mayura Gerusoppa which apparently has a view of Jog falls and got hsa decent reviews at TripAdvisor. Keeping my fingers crossed because it is a government owned, but not too much worried as I would be staying for a very short time.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-deviation_chitradurga.png  

Old 25th September 2012, 10:05   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Hi dreamdiesel

I am going to Goa on 22nd October for Dasara festival. Usually I take the Hubli-Ankola ghat road but this time need to go to Honavar first. Thinking to take Shimoga-Sagar-Hovavar route. I have Maruti Estilo and the journey depends on condition of the roads in that ghat section. I will be having my 2 year old daughter with me during this travel.
Is it OK to go via this route? I will not do a continuous journey due to my kid and will make a stay at Shimoga on 22nd night after starting from bangalore.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:52   #2002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the deviation at Chitradurga I was talking about. See attachment. It seems rather pointless to me unless, NH4 is "one-way" for some distance.
This is one of those quirks on Google maps. There are no deviations of this order on the GQ
as of today.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 11:12   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi dreamdiesel

I am going to Goa on 22nd October for Dasara festival. Usually I take the Hubli-Ankola ghat road but this time need to go to Honavar first. Thinking to take Shimoga-Sagar-Hovavar route. I have Maruti Estilo and the journey depends on condition of the roads in that ghat section. I will be having my 2 year old daughter with me during this travel.
Is it OK to go via this route? I will not do a continuous journey due to my kid and will make a stay at Shimoga on 22nd night after starting from bangalore.
Roads are in ok condition between Jog & Honnavar.You can drive through in an Estilo.From Honnavar till Karwar on NH17 you might encounter some potholes.

At Shimoga,hotel options are mentioned on the above post.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 12:34   #2004
BHPian

A quick update -- Just returned from a Bangalore - Goa trip. Started in the afternoon from Bangalore and took the NH4. Stayed overnight at Hubli. Next day took the route via Yellapur, Ankola, and then toward Karwar and Goa. On way back did not stay at Hubli but drove down to Bangalore (via the same route) in about 11 hours with just one halt for a quick late lunch.

Tumkur - Chitradurga -- lots of diversions, so watch out. After that its a great drive all the way to Hubli.

Enjoyed the Yellapur-Ankola stretch. Superb roads and greenery.

Roads all the way up to Goa along this route is superb. Kept a moderate speed between 80-100 kms/hr on the highways.

I did it in my 8-year old Wagon R, which has done about 1,11,000 kms till now.
Wagoner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 15:53   #2005
BHPian

Wegoner, 11 hours via Yallapur sounds good. what time did you start from Goa and from where (north/south)

I'm driving down from Bangalore this saturday 29th. And after reading the last few pages here, decided to do via Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa while going. Destination is Calangute. And while coming back on 2nd October, will take the Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli route.

Ampere, I'm planning a 3am start from home and 3.30am at Nelamangala. Like you suggested in one of the earlier posts, i'll target Renebennur for breakfast stop of 30 minutes. Any suggestions for lunch stop? I also plan to spend some around 20-30 minutes for photos/experience the Amboli stretch.

Thank you all for your updates.

Last edited by sv1976 : 26th September 2012 at 16:21.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:55   #2006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Wegoner, 11 hours via Yallapur sounds good. what time did you start from Goa and from where (north/south)

I'm driving down from Bangalore this saturday 29th. And after reading the last few pages here, decided to do via Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa while going. Destination is Calangute. And while coming back on 2nd October, will take the Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli route.

Ampere, I'm planning a 3am start from home and 3.30am at Nelamangala. Like you suggested in one of the earlier posts, i'll target Renebennur for breakfast stop of 30 minutes. Any suggestions for lunch stop? I also plan to spend some around 20-30 minutes for photos/experience the Amboli stretch.

Thank you all for your updates.
You can easily reach Calangute for lunch.Else Kamat at Amboli(before the waterfalls) is an option,else Belgaum-Sankam Residency.
www.sankam.in
Old 26th September 2012, 18:33   #2007
BHPian

[quote=sv1976;2915875]Wegoner, 11 hours via Yallapur sounds good. what time did you start from Goa and from where (north/south)

Started at 10 am from Sinquerim, north Goa. Faced quite a bit of traffic from Canacona onward till I exited the state border. An early morning start may possibly have shaved off another hour.
Old 27th September 2012, 07:04   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
I am also driving from Bangalore to Goa (Calangute) on Sep 29th and returning on Oct 2nd. Will be taking the same route as you Via Belgaum for the onward journey and via Karwar for the return journey but would be starting at around 5:00 AM from Bangalore (Brookefields).

Here is a list of Hotels that I have noted down from some previous post in this thread.

Kamat Upachar - 63 KM
Lakshmi Bhavan - Chitradurga - 226 KM
Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel - 287 KM
Kamat Upachar - 316 KM (Between Davangere and Ranibennur )
Ghar Dhaba - 330 KM After Ranibennur - Food + Fuel
Kamat Upachar - 418 KM Before Hubli
The Hans Hotel - Hubli - 438 KM
Hotel Sankam Residency - Belgaum

Hotel Premier Karwar
Kamat Upachar Ankola -

Many thanks to Ranjitp1 for his help with hotels in Goa and the route.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 10:33   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Same here - leaving early morning on saturday. However I plan to go via the Hubli route as my destination is in south goa (utorda). Also the Amboli will be crowded for sure on a weekend. Will take a very long time to cover that little distance because of tourist traffic.

Looks like half of bangalore is heading out on that day

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th September 2012 at 10:35.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:53   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Kamat Upachar - 63 KM
Lakshmi Bhavan - Chitradurga - 226 KM
Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel - 287 KM
Kamat Upachar - 316 KM (Between Davangere and Ranibennur )
Ghar Dhaba - 330 KM After Ranibennur - Food + Fuel
Kamat Upachar - 418 KM Before Hubli
The Hans Hotel - Hubli - 438 KM
Hotel Sankam Residency - Belgaum

Hotel Premier Karwar
Kamat Upachar Ankola -
You can add Kamat, at Amboli before the waterfalls ,to your list.Its a good place.With a 5am departure,this place would be an ideal stop for lunch.Else you have restaurants on your way at Sawantwadi as well.

Also the Kamat at Ankola does not fall in your way if you take the NH63.To go to this Kamat,you would have to go ahead of the NH63-NH17 junction(Baleguli Cross).
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed