Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 11:41   #3496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No such issues with safety at all and I know that I cannot suggest any alternative for you as your destination is Sanquelim .
He he he! True. I can take NH4A of course but was just not sure if that is deserted road at night and any safety risk. Chorala was once known for it's safety related incidences and my family keeps telling me to not enter that ghat after 7pm and before 5am!

Tonight I head alone to Sanquelim and return on Sunday. End of summer vacation trip and my bachelorhood
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 11:46   #3497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
He he he! True. I can take NH4A of course but was just not sure if that is deserted road at night and any safety risk. Chorala was once known for it's safety related incidences and my family keeps telling me to not enter that ghat after 7pm and before 5am!

Tonight I head alone to Sanquelim and return on Sunday. End of summer vacation trip and my bachelorhood
NH4A has good traffic all through the night as Goa Bound buses from Hubli side take this (not referring to those from Mumbai/Pune/Bangalore).

It was in September 2015 we drove through the night with family due to KA Bandh then and Goa-Ka water dispute.

NH4A has good freight traffic and has cops' presence at regular intervals in the name of "patrolling". So between Chorla and NH4A at nights, the latter has very good traffic "in comparison".
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:53   #3498
BHPian

I travelled to Goa last weekend ie.. 13th to 16th May 2016. If you take belgaum/Belagavi Road, you need to watch for 1 Major road construction and it will easily add + 30 Min to your travel time. But Google Map baba helped me to reduce the time by 15 Min!! Thanks to Google realtime update that took me trough small lanes and then help me to join NH back.

Also you need to WATCHOUT!!for these new road blocks between Davangera and Haveri Stretch. I am not sure what went wrong with local administration to put these drums as road blocks. I was about to bang one when I was about to over take a slowing vehicle. I was lucky enough to manoeuvre in time and still miss the accident with another vehicle..

I agree with paragsachania, NH4A is a best option if you want to skip Belgaum. But Belgaum is faster, if you travel in Night time as the traffic pile up due to road block would be less.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-photo.jpg.jpeg  

Old 18th May 2016, 17:50   #3499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiw View Post
you need to watch for 1 Major road construction and it will easily add + 30 Min to your travel time
And where exactly is this? 30+ Minute of additional travel time means a lot.

Quote:
Also you need to WATCHOUT!!for these new road blocks between Davangera and Haveri Stretch. I am not sure what went wrong with local administration to put these drums as road blocks. I was about to bang one when I was about to over take a slowing vehicle. I was lucky enough to manoeuvre in time and still miss the accident with another vehicle..
Not really, the barricades were ALWAYS there on NH4 since at least a year and a half. At few places they were along with speedbreakers and at few its just barricades.

In fact, based on the mood of the authorities, they were either placed right in the middle of the road (at nights) or by the sides to be installed after dark.

And yes, these were very much between Hubballi - Chitradurga & at multiple locations. Just that these are no converted to drums may be because funds were released to buy these drums .

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-nh4_barricades_01.png

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-nh4_barricades_02.png

Quote:
I agree with paragsachania, NH4A is a best option if you want to skip Belgaum. But Belgaum is faster, if you travel in Night time as the traffic pile up due to road block would be less.
Again, where was the block? Before Hubli or between Hubli-Belgaum?

Else NH4A is the fastest for South Goa now any day after the road was repaired.
Old 19th May 2016, 14:27   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
And where exactly is this? 30+ Minute of additional travel time means a lot.
It is the Shukrawar Peth Road and Khanpur Road Junction in Belgaum.

Quote:
And yes, these were very much between Hubballi - Chitradurga & at multiple locations. Just that these are no converted to drums may be because funds were released to buy these drums .
The Drums are nightmares, they camouflage easily as roads in dim lights with hardly any reflectors on them!

Quote:
Again, where was the block? Before Hubli or between Hubli-Belgaum?
Its the Belgaum Stretch that I mentioned earlier.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:12   #3501
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to Sanquelim on this Thursday early morning (1.30am departure from Bangalore) and return on Sunday. Both the times I took Alnavar-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorala route. Its a fantastic road though single lane, goes through all scenic places and skips the traffic of Belgavi city entirely. Going forward my preferred route will be NH4A. I get best of both worlds - chorala for scenic drive with added bonus of Alnavar-Khanapur-Jamboti stretch to continue the feel as well as saves some time and distance. Not sure if i saved any toll, but nevertheless it was fun drive.

Only caution - if you are driving during peak hours of the day - watch out for two wheelers on the Khanapur- Alnavar stretch. Don't rush, you will still get stretches of deserted roads where you can cover up the time.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:48   #3502
BHPian

Which would be the best route (need not be the shortest) to Veling in Goa by car from Bangalore (silkboard)? If possible would like to avoid ghats due to sons' motion sickness.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:20   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Which would be the best route (need not be the shortest) to Veling in Goa by car from Bangalore (silkboard)? If possible would like to avoid ghats due to sons' motion sickness.
Silk Board - Electronic City NICE road entry - NICE road Tumkur road exit - Dharwad bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Veling.

~600 km. ~9 hours. Short(relatively) Anmod ghat to endure/manage.

https://goo.gl/maps/vPggpDsrohM2

For a lessor ghat section, one may evaluate/think of going via Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar- Ponda - Veling, but it might not make sense/worth it.

Last edited by Throtttle : 23rd May 2016 at 21:44. Reason: Space
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:04   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Silk Board - Electronic City NICE road entry - NICE road Tumkur road exit - Dharwad bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Veling.

~600 km. ~9 hours. Short(relatively) Anmod ghat to endure/manage.

https://goo.gl/maps/vPggpDsrohM2

For a lessor ghat section, one may evaluate/think of going via Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar- Ponda - Veling, but it might not make sense/worth it.

This route is good through out. They have relaid the roads near Ram nagar and its very smooth now despite smaller roads than the regular NH. Need to take the exit before reaching Dharwad(& after crossing Hubli) to catch the Goa road. Do note there are not many restaurants in this route. However irrespective of any route, we cannot avoid Ghat Section to reach Goa.

And if you're leaving early(like 6AM or so) , do not bother with NICE toll. Take the regular Yeshwantpur route(MG Road ->left from Cauvery Theatre and straight throughout thereafter) and save yourself from the absolute rip off for no value and inconsistently laid NICE road.
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 22:50   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post

This route is good through out. They have relaid the roads near Ram nagar and its very smooth now despite smaller roads than the regular NH. Need to take the exit before reaching Dharwad(& after crossing Hubli) to catch the Goa road. Do note there are not many restaurants in this route. However irrespective of any route, we cannot avoid Ghat Section to reach Goa.

And if you're leaving early(like 6AM or so) , do not bother with NICE toll. Take the regular Yeshwantpur route(MG Road ->left from Cauvery Theatre and straight throughout thereafter) and save yourself from the absolute rip off for no value and inconsistently laid NICE road.
Yes, i too agree, there is no need to take NICE road if you start early. The road surface is not at all smooth on NICE road at the moment and even though work has started to repair the surface,dont know when it would be completed.

I recently did Bangalore to Margao via Hubli-Ramnagar-Anmod as suggested by different members, and roads were good all the way. Had to stop once for 15min for railway crossing between Alnavar and Ramnagar.
However while returning since I had my family coming along, and especially due to small kid, i had to take Margao- Karwar-Yellapur-Hubli-NICE Road.

How are traffic conditions on Mollem-Anmod route especially during early morning hours( ~5-6 am). Is there any heavy truck traffic going out from Goa. Could someone who has any idea comment on the same.
Old 25th May 2016, 04:14   #3506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
How are traffic conditions on Mollem-Anmod route especially during early morning hours( ~5-6 am). Is there any heavy truck traffic going out from Goa. Could someone who has any idea comment on the same.
I have done this once with a 10pm start from Bangalore to for Varca. This was in September 2015 to avoid any untoward incident due to a protest in KA for dispute with GA the next day.

So I exited Hubli bypass at 0300am and covered Alnavar Ramnagar Anmod Mollem between 0300 and 0500am, this with the super bad stretch then for 30kms before Goa Border.

Traffic is moderate but not least at night. Regular trucks and KSRTC buses in both directions.

That said, there was no heavy traffic at all that one should be worried about.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:45   #3507
BHPian

Hi All and to Parag,

I am travelling to Goa tomorrow by car from Bangalore and put up in Angels Resort Chogm Road, Alto De Porvorim, Bardez , Porvorim, North Goa

Does the below mentioned guidelines by Parag hold good to reach there. this is my 1st drive to Goa hence seeking help .

Quote:
  • Take the Bypass for Hubli-Dharwad and pay full fare till the end (55 INR)
  • Refer to your ODO or Trip and around 26 kms from the Entry toll, turn left for an exit marked for Alnavar/Goa
  • Exit the tolled road, and continue driving towards Alnavar
  • Pass another toll for this State Highway by paying 55 INR (55 again )
  • Near Alnavar, you will pass the town on your left, followed by a small bridge and then you get a fork - Straight takes you to Ramnagar/Anmod and right for Khanapur. Turn right here for Khanapur
  • From Khanapur to Jamboti its one straight, narrow road for 15 kms
  • Jamboti is the place your road will meet Belgaum Chorla road, just keep going and you are now headed towards Chorla
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manjunath
Old 25th May 2016, 15:36   #3508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Hi All and to Parag,

I am travelling to Goa tomorrow by car from Bangalore and put up in Angels Resort Chogm Road, Alto De Porvorim, Bardez , Porvorim, North Goa

Does the below mentioned guidelines by Parag hold good to reach there. this is my 1st drive to Goa hence seeking help .

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manjunath
Absolutely yes for North Goa and bypassing Belgaum.

Else you can always take Chorla through Belgaum and have a good lunch break.

I drove to Goa today (Varca Area) via NH4A. Returning back on Friday.
Old 25th May 2016, 16:53   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely yes for North Goa and bypassing Belgaum.

Else you can always take Chorla through Belgaum and have a good lunch break.

I drove to Goa today (Varca Area) via NH4A. Returning back on Friday.
Thanks a lot Parag .

What is the best time to start to reach Goa by 2 pm by taking this route? A 4am start will help? I drive steadily around 100 KMPH.

Regards,
Manjunath
Old 25th May 2016, 17:48   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Hi All and to Parag,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manjunath
If possible avoid taking this route to go to North Goa... Follow Google Maps and take the Chorla route (Take left at MK Hubli on Dharwad Belgaum NH). This would save a lot of time from being stuck in traffic towards Panaji as these roads are relatively more traffic free. I went same way as your mentioned to reach Calangute and we spent like 2-3 hrs in traffic to reach Panaji and then the Calangute road.

The time taken by this route is roughly 10-12 hrs assuming you keep an average of 100kmph so ideally a 3-4AM start would help. Also most of the route will be traffic free so you can get decent speeds.

Last edited by shadows123 : 25th May 2016 at 17:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks